• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

XaosWolf

Haha damn, I think I need your help, guys. Could anyone please give me a hint where to search for the remaining two pieces of Master Ore?

I already got one piece from the Thieves Hideout (I think) and one from the Church of Lorule

Need dat Master Sword Lv. 3!

Just hints?
The others are in dungeons too

Further hints:
2SPOOKY dungeons

I finished this a little bit ago, took me 16 hours. I've been wanting this Zelda game for such a long time that it's been a surreal experience. I've never cared for the 3D Zelda game so it was nice to see a return to tradition. Last Zelda game I thoroughly enjoyed was The Minish Cap. I'd rank it as my fourth favorite game in the series. The first three being A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and The Legend of Zelda.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The worst part of the Yuga theme is the subliminal messaging for us to support Boris Johnson to be the next UK prime minister.

I'm still early on (just now arrived in Lorule), but it just struck me that this is it. This is the Zelda game I've been waiting for.

Yeah, pretty much. I just finished the game earlier tonight and I've just been reveling in its memory. Definitely going to do a Hero run, but man. What a game. The changeups to the formula are exactly what this series needed. And I won't spoil it, but the way the game wraps up is just wonderful.

So many times, this game made me straight-out laugh in pleasure as I had an "a-ha!" moment. I got emotional during it several times as well just out of a reaction to how well made the game is. God damn.

Socreges

Banned
I've got 3 bottles*, 8 hearts, about a dozen items.... and I've only completed 2 dungeons. I'm gonna make this way too easy, but I just can't stop exploring and doing everything possible before moving on.

wrowa

I've got 3 bottles*, 8 hearts, about a dozen items.... and I've only completed 2 dungeons. I'm gonna make this way too easy, but I just can't stop exploring and doing everything possible before moving on.

Just be sure to stay away from the water dungeon until you've completed all the other ones.

KHlover

Banned
43769,aaaaaaarghGMNZ3.png

OMG, just realized the busty woman in Kakariko Village is pretty much this chick from ******************.

GOTY cancelled
-∞/10

KHlover

Banned
How much damage would you be taking without it, generally?

4x Normal Mode.
The Cyclops do 2 Hearts damage without Blue Tunic if you run into them in Normal Mode. 8 Hearts in Hero Mode (that's an instant death the first time you enter the Dark World, I think). Weak Enemies 2-4 heart per hit (Hero Mode). Lynels (the fire breathing lions in Death Mountain)? Pretty much an instant death if you just look at them the wrong way XD

OT:
Just entered the Shadow Temple (already forgot its name....shame on me). Damn is this temple good. Other devs would make a whole game out of its gimmick *_*

wrowa

How much damage would you be taking without it, generally?

Well, enemies deal 4 times the damage in hero mode. I think normally no enemy deals less than half a heart damage, so in hero mode you end up with 2 hearts minimum. It's definitely quite difficult, especially in the beginning when everything kills you with just two hits.

I forgot to get a shield before going into to the first dungeon and, I tell you, that was a dumb move. :p

LogicStep

I don't know why I see some people say the game is easy, I think it's pretty challenging. The combat sometimes, the dungeons in Lorule have me stumped from time to time. I think it's a decent challenge.

Moff

I never died once, but I'd still say the difficulty was alright.
I am a very seasoned zelda player, know most of the enemies and bosses, and I still had to use fairies a handful of times. thats what I expected, its ok.

nintendo is doing kind of a casual course lately, which I dont mind at all. I consider mario 3d land one of the best marios of all time, and was super easy, and even easier with the tanuki suit and if you failed even with that there was even the golden tanuki suit, and it was stil an amzing game.

for people like me, there is still hero mode, which I love doing at the moment, the higher difficulty makes the game even better, as it is with all games with great gameplay, which ALBW definitely has. the gameplay is probably the smoothest and most fun in the whole franchise. we can talk hours about pros and cons of the rental system, the dungeon design and the exploration, but after a few dozen hours, I can say that its the perfectly smooth gameplay that makes ALBW the awesome, and still motivating game it is.

I want a sequel with exactly that look and feel.

Vaiim

Has anyone tried getting the (item)
Red tunic
first, then going back for the (item)
Blue tunic
?

I'm not sure I dare try it on my Hero mode playthrough though...

KHlover

Banned
I don't know why I see some people say the game is easy, I think it's pretty challenging. The combat sometimes, the dungeons in Lorule have me stumped from time to time. I think it's a decent challenge.

Me too! I've used up three fairies in the Ice Dungeon, ended up beating the boss with 1/2 hearts left.

Armored Wallmaster from Skull Woods also was a pretty challenging boss :D

flowsnake

Well, enemies deal 4 times the damage in hero mode. I think normally no enemy deals less than half a heart damage, so in hero mode you end up with 2 hearts minimum. It's definitely quite difficult, especially in the beginning when everything kills you with just two hits.

I forgot to get a shield before going into to the first dungeon and, I tell you, that was a dumb move. :p

I've done one dungeon so far in hero mode and it doesn't seem that bad as long as you have fairies. The shield isn't too necessary yet but that will certainly change.

Tiu Neo

Mine arrived yesterday. I'm not a fan of Skyward Sword or the DS games, so I was pretty disappointed with the series.

This game restored my faith in the series. Loving every moment, even if I'm not that far in the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Kakariko Village theme had me feeling like I was 10 years old again.

wrowa

I've done one dungeon so far in hero mode and it doesn't seem that bad as long as you have fairies. The shield isn't too necessary yet but that will certainly change.

The first dungeon has this room with a moving platform that is surrounded by traps that shoot arrows at you. I tend to not to pay attention to these kind of traps and without a shield it's very easy to die there.

I wasn't taking fairies with me either, though. I kinda rushed because I wanted to see a certain easter egg.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just got to Lorule in Hero mode; there were definitely some extremely close calls on the road here. As expected, the Tower boss was frightening.

Sendou

Ooh very mysterious (a treasure chamber spoiler):

I was exploring the overworld while I came across the Treasure chamber with cuccoos. So first I got the biggest rupee there and the treasure hunter's dialogue changed (like with all the previous chambers). I went back and collected all the remaining ones too. Afterwards I couldn't find the hunter anymore. What gives?

Leezard

Ooh very mysterious (a treasure chamber spoiler):

I was exploring the overworld while I came across the Treasure chamber with cuccoos. So first I got the biggest rupee there and the treasure hunter's dialogue changed (like with all the previous chambers). I went back and collected all the remaining ones too. Afterwards I couldn't find the hunter anymore. What gives?

I think the treasure hunters disappear once you finish the puzzle. It happened for all the ones I've revisited.

KHlover

Banned
Damn, anyone got an idea how to enter the room on the bottom left in the Palace of Darkness (Ground Level - would that be 1F in the English version)? I have already beaten the dungeon, but no clue how to enter that area :/

EDIT: Nvm, just figured it out myself

XaosWolf

I never died once, but I'd still say the difficulty was alright.
I am a very seasoned zelda player, know most of the enemies and bosses, and I still had to use fairies a handful of times. thats what I expected, its ok.

nintendo is doing kind of a casual course lately, which I dont mind at all. I consider mario 3d land one of the best marios of all time, and was super easy, and even easier with the tanuki suit and if you failed even with that there was even the golden tanuki suit, and it was stil an amzing game.

for people like me, there is still hero mode, which I love doing at the moment, the higher difficulty makes the game even better, as it is with all games with great gameplay, which ALBW definitely has. the gameplay is probably the smoothest and most fun in the whole franchise. we can talk hours about pros and cons of the rental system, the dungeon design and the exploration, but after a few dozen hours, I can say that its the perfectly smooth gameplay that makes ALBW the awesome, and still motivating game it is.

I want a sequel with exactly that look and feel.

Agreed 100%. I didn't get "defeated" once according to the game.
(Which confused me at first because the Icon next to that number is a Fairy)

Also - and forgive me for pointing out the obvious here - this game's soundtrack is outstanding.
Listening to it again is letting me soak it in without any distractions. And Kakariko has a second part I've never heard due to me going in and out of houses. =D

flowsnake

The first dungeon has this room with a moving platform that is surrounded by traps that shoot arrows at you. I tend to not to pay attention to these kind of traps and without a shield it's very easy to die there.

I wasn't taking fairies with me either, though. I kinda rushed because I wanted to see a certain easter egg.

Right, I did use it a lot for the arrow traps, just not on the enemies.

Damn, anyone got an idea how to enter the room on the bottom left in the Palace of Darkness (Ground Level - would that be 1F in the English version)? I have already beaten the dungeon, but no clue how to enter that area :/

EDIT: Nvm, just figured it out myself
Good that one stumped me for a bit too :p

KHlover

Banned
Good that one stumped me for a bit too :p

Only one unexplored room in the dungeon left. 2F, in the middle of the map. That's a tough one. I wonder just how long it'll take me :D

EDIT: WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. BEAT IT. First time the Hint Glasses were needed. I don't think I would EVER have thought of the solution to this puzzle myself. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

>:{

Only one unexplored room in the dungeon left. 2F, in the middle of the map. That's a tough one. I wonder just how long it'll take me :D

EDIT: WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. BEAT IT. First time the Hint Glasses were needed. I don't think I would EVER have thought of the solution to this puzzle myself. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

>:{
Haha just don't go saying the game was too easy after you are done!

Agreed 100%. I didn't get "defeated" once according to the game.
(Which confused me at first because the Icon next to that number is a Fairy)

Also - and forgive me for pointing out the obvious here - this game's soundtrack is outstanding.
Listening to it again is letting me soak it in without any distractions. And Kakariko has a second part I've never heard due to me going in and out of houses. =D

Dat file select theme

KHlover

Banned
Haha just don't go saying the game was too easy after you are done!

Haha, check the last page, I really like the difficultily level of this game :D
Someone with more experience in 2D Zelda games might breeze through this game, but as someone whose only other 2D Zelda game was Phantom Hourglass so far it's a bit more tricky, especially the combat. I miss Z-Targeting, sidestepping and dodge rolls :D

I also never think of using my shield, which will probably destroy me in Hero Mode...

Been playing this game for 3 hours now and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.

Pro

- The game with 3D on is gorgeous. Especially when you get to higher ground.
- Plays very smooth
- The art direction and graphics are much better than I anticipated. Looking at screens here on GAF made me doubtful, but it looks very nice on my XL.
- I really like how they implemented the painting mechanic into their puzzles.

Con

- The first 3 dungeons are short... really short. I've breezed through it and sometimes was shocked that I already got to the boss. Can't remember if this was already the case in aLttP.
- The rental system is a nice experiment, but I don't want to see it again in future Zelda games. I'm just at the beginning of the game and already bought more than half of the inventory. Even if you just rent them and die, you can easily rent them back because Rupees are everywhere and the renting price is really low.
- Having your full inventory from the start, it takes away the joy to explore areas later in the game when you normally obtain an item that gives you access to that area. Like bombing walls when you obtain the Bomb bag.
- Caves and chests are not very useful because all you find are Rupees, and I already have enough of them.

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm not having a blast with it.
I feel the game itself doesn't know if it wants to be a remake or a completely new game. They should've made a whole new world instead. But we all know their original plan was to remake aLttP.

KHlover

Banned
Ahahaha, my last Maimai in the Light World seems to be in Rosso's ore mine. How fitting that the last one is in the most annoying area of the Light World :D

Been playing this game for 3 hours now and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.

Pro

- The game with 3D on is gorgeous. Especially when you get to higher ground.
- Plays very smooth
- The art direction and graphics are much better than I anticipated. Looking at screens here on GAF made me doubtful, but it looks very nice on my XL.
- I really like how they implemented the painting mechanic into their puzzles.

Con

- The first 3 dungeons are short... really short. I've breezed through it and sometimes was shocked that I already got to the boss. Can't remember if this was already the case in aLttP.
- The rental system is a nice experiment, but I don't want to see it again in future Zelda games. I'm just at the beginning of the game and already bought more than half of the inventory. Even if you just rent them and die, you can easily rent them back because Rupees are everywhere and the renting price is really low.
- Having your full inventory from the start, it takes away the joy to explore areas later in the game when you normally obtain an item that gives you access to that area. Like bombing walls when you obtain the Bomb bag.
- Caves and chests are not very useful because all you find are Rupees, and I already have enough of them.

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm not having a blast with it.
I feel the game itself doesn't know if it wants to be a remake or a completely new game. They should've made a whole new world instead. But we all know their original plan was to remake aLttP.

The dungeons in ALTTP were just as short, if not shorter than the ones in A Link Between Worlds. Personally, I think I'd rather have 12 (if you count
Hyrule Castle
) shorter dungeons that never overstay their welcome than 7-8 long ones. *shrug*

And according to the Iwata Asks interview, it actually wasn't going to be a remake. It started with toon Link from Wind Waker and they were going for something completely different. It was later that they decided to make it a sequel to A Link to the Past.

FSLink

Banned
I just finished the last dungeon in the game and just saw the credits. This may be my favorite Zelda yet, but I'll probably have to finish Hero mode to see if the improved difficulty increases my impressions.
The difficulty is a bit on the easy side, but the gameplay itself was just fun so the difficulty actually never hurt my impression of the game like most games that are too easy do.

Plus I just started Hero mode and died before reaching the 1st dungeon, I can tell I'm going to love Hero mode, haha.

I also find that although the dungeons are short, they use their gimmick without overstaying their welcome. Also, that music when you fight a Shadow Link is amazing.

I don't think I even got hit by the boss in my first run.

Boss patterns don't change, so yeah, that damage multiplier isn't as bad as it looks. I've beaten multiple bosses on hero mode without taking a hit. And with fairies, you could take 5 hits from the final boss even with a green tunic and live. That's not so hard. You can have 3 bottles after the first dungeon, and 5 as soon as you reach Lorule. That takes away a lot of the difficulty from hero mode. You can still have a fairly decent margin for error.

KHlover

Banned
Ahahaha, the first chest I opened in the Dark World chest lottery contained the heart piece. First time playing this minigame also. Such luck :O

Top Bottom