• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

R0ckman

The dungeons in ALTTP were just as short, if not shorter than the ones in A Link Between Worlds. Personally, I think I'd rather have 12 (if you count
Hyrule Castle
) shorter dungeons that never overstay their welcome than 7-8 long ones. *shrug*

And according to the Iwata Asks interview, it actually wasn't going to be a remake. It started with toon Link from Wind Waker and they were going for something completely different. It was later that they decided to make it a sequel to A Link to the Past.

No it was still going to be a sequel, it was just going to use Wind Waker Link (again) and have the same shitty controls and style as the DS titles. Miyamoto heard about it, told them the idea was shit so they chaged it to what we have now.

Coen

Just entered Lorule after starting the game last night. I've no idea what to do next, although I guess that's the point, right? Like the game so far, but I do feel it might just be the ugliest Zelda to date.

FSLink

Banned
Honestly although I do agree that it looks ugly in cutscenes (even then the art direction helps it look much better than it should), for future Zelda games I'd rather have 60FPS than better graphics if we have to get one or the other. 60FPS is just so gooood

The Boat

I think it looks very good to be honest. It's not a very original and out there art style, but it doesn't need to be. Of course, then 3D and 60 fps help.

Anyway I see a lot of people talking about having all the items from the start, am I the only one who paced myself and got the items gradually? That's the cool thin about this game you can play it how you want.

Edit: I get the feeling people are focusing too much on Link's model when saying the game is ugly, because I honestly can't see how it's ugly although I can see how someone might not find it anything special, two different things.

Joqu

Its definitely LttP in 3D, but that doesn't preclude it from being pretty ugly. Which it is.

Honestly I never really liked A Link to the Past's art direction. I'm sure that's sacrilege around here, but that game's got some ugly character designs man.

A Link Between Worlds does a pretty good job at emulating that look so I guess they did a good job.

Just got this on sale at K-Mart yesterday. Considering I don't like any Zeldas after LttP, I'm very relieved that this one feels a lot like the old one that I love. Very happy and entertained by this title.

I only beat 2 levels so far.

KHlover

Banned
Upgrade the Tornado Rod. It makes battles a breeze.

Already have :D

OT: Manual "Spin attack" just saved my ass. Continuosly spinning the circle stick while repeatedly pressing B is a suprisingly good defense o_O

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I died on LV49 of that damn tower :'(

No it was still going to be a sequel, it was just going to use Wind Waker Link (again) and have the same shitty controls and style as the DS titles. Miyamoto heard about it, told them the idea was shit so they chaged it to what we have now.

Really?! Wow, this changes my opinion about Miyamoto (once again)...

Quick question, I know you can get them somewhere, but I have no idea where for the Pegasus Boots. I've been looking across all of Hyrule and have gotten most other things I think.

KarmaCow

Good that one stumped me for a bit too :p

That was an amazing puzzle in the Palace of Darkness, I wish there were more like it. They let you know you're missing something with the compass as well as a few subtle clues
like the mask lighting up in the dark, just the ones in the previous room where you had to merge into it as a bomb hit the switch, along with the fact that there are two switches in the room when one would be fine for raising the platform
. It wasn't immediately apparent but they telegraphed it well.

Thanks! I thought I needed the boots for that haha.

Yea it was a nice nod to LTTP in that way.

KLonso

So, I just passed through to Lorule. Is there anyway that I can get back to Hyrule, or is the ability to move between worlds a while away?

So, I just passed through to Lorule. Is there anyway that I can get back to Hyrule, or is the ability to move between worlds a while away?

Merge with the wall and go through any black cracks you see. There's one right by where Link's house should be. They are all over the map.

Just entered Lorule after starting the game last night. I've no idea what to do next, although I guess that's the point, right? Like the game so far, but I do feel it might just be the ugliest Zelda to date.

No doubt about it, regardless of good 3D. Hyrule is the least offensive thing to look at but it just gets worse. Even though PH was also pretty bad.

I like the rental system in that it makes the game more open-ended, you can basically choose to go to any dungeon anywhere in the world. That's a neat change of pace from the staggered progression of every other entry. There's no real risk with the rental system tho, I haven't died yet, I've gone through the first three dungeons to get the master sword and four of the dungeons in Lorule and I'm sitting on nearly 8K worth of rupees. What I really don't like is how useless chests are, they're either filled with rupees or worthless collectibles.

Anteo

I like the rental system in that it makes the game more open-ended, you can basically choose to go to any dungeon anywhere in the world. That's a neat change of pace from the staggered progression of every other entry. There's no real risk with the rental system tho, I haven't died yet, I've gone through the first three dungeons to get the master sword and four of the dungeons in Lorule and I'm sitting on nearly 8K worth of rupees. What I really don't like is how useless chests are, they're either filled with rupees or worthless collectibles.

How? I'm missing one 2 lorule dungeons and I still need to buy a couple of items. Also I have not died once so is not like I'm wasting money by renting.

It worked out this time, but had the opposite effect for IntelligentSystems when he asked them to rework their Paper Mario formula...which gave us Sticker Star, one of the most divisive Mario-related games to date.

Which is it now? And why was it negative before?

I have tremendous respect for all his contributions towards Nintendo the past 30 years, it's just that I feel he should take a step back.

Sometimes I believe he tries to dumb down some games to appeal to the casual crowd.

RagnarokX

The person you replied to was replying to a person that said the game was going to be a REMAKE. It was never going to be a remake.

The wall merging ability was one of the first ideas they came up with and they started out with toon Link and the same camera angle as the DS games. They said nothing about stylus controls. The 2 game concepts that Miyamoto shot down were never elaborated on.

slide001.jpg

The idea to make it a sequel to ALttP came when it was decided that a top-down camera would make the wall-merging more visually impressive and Aonuma and Miyamoto had both desired a new ALttP-style game.

Its definitely LttP in 3D, but that doesn't preclude it from being pretty ugly. Which it is.

It's ugly but it's charming and pretty nonchalant about using character designs that wouldn't seem too out of place back in the day but give us pause now. I don't see how people can deny that the game can be ugly but I do appreciate that it's this weird mixture of SNES era visual design and 80s-90s Zelda marketing material. It's certainly got a vibe that you don't get from too many modern games at all

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I would say it's not ugly at all, unless you're very narrow and shallow when it comes to aesthetics

But it's no use arguing about beauty

Sendou

It looks fine but what's important is achieving that 60FPS. It actually makes the game play better.

In any case I think I've seen a few interesting shaders around places.

Anteo

So, in a yes or no answer .... was the Majora's Mask connection explained ?

Nope.
Just references here and there like:

- The upside down triforce is now a big part of the plot instead of a random texture as seen in majora's mask
- Link has the Majora's Mask since the begining of the game
- People from Lorule are wearing masks
- In Hero Mode a notebook inside Ravio's house starts with "3 days to go" link

Just gonna chime in and say I don't get the complaints about the graphics. I think the game looks very charming, and certainly a huge step above PH and ST. This felt like a retro Link in 3D. Everything was very functional and easy to read which is the most important thing.

Sure, it's probably limited by the decision to go with 60fps, but I'll take that decision every damn time. Much of the beauty is in the animation and fluidity in this game. I loved it.

Ahahaha, the first chest I opened in the Dark World chest lottery contained the heart piece. First time playing this minigame also. Such luck :O

IIRC my first and only time playing it, I opened the following:

- 300 gold rupee
- heart piece

Fuckin loved it :D

Top Bottom