• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Anteo

Surely it must be DLC related?

Nah. But I hope we get a prequel (wont happen) that shows how link got the Mask. It should involve Termina stuff like the Great Fairy's Sword and end with link returning to his house, hanging the mask on the wall and going to sleep.

iosef

Sorry, I just don't get "ugly" from this game at all. It's gorgeous, to me.

Top-down during gameplay: Gorgeous

Zoomed-in during cutscenes: Atrocious

The beauty in this game comes from the 60fps, which by itself just seems to make everything more fun.

Moff

I loved the look of this since the first screenshots and I agree that its gorgeous when you play it. the next 3DS original game (after the inevitable majoras mask remake) should look exactly the same.

Mecca

Is there anything special that needs to be done with the GIVE ME BACK MAH RUPEES! guy?

I finally finished the game. Got everything except for two heart pieces. I accumulated over 28,000 rupees and died 9 times. Deaths were all at the Ice Ruins. :( All in all it was fun. Wind Waker is still my favorite Zelda game, but as for as handhelds go, ALBW was pretty good.

KHlover

Banned
Just beat the boss of Turtle Rock. Shortest dungeon ever? Even the Deku Tree in OOT had more content...Giant Spin Attack is a certified boss killer btw. DAT RANGE o_O

Cerity

Just finished it. I'd wished they'd designed some of the dungeons with the rental system in mind. I think some of them would have been a bit longer if it were a typical zelda game. As it is, some of the dungeons don't even feel like dungeons.

nasos_333

I would say it's not ugly at all, unless you're very narrow and shallow when it comes to aesthetics

But it's no use arguing about beauty

I loved the look so far

Reminds me of Zelda WW mostly and has some cool atmsphere in the castle and woods, really great stuff, i think the woods rival the best zelda environments for their atmsophere and feeling

Love the lighting and water effects too in places

Marjar

Banned
Well just beat it.

Easily a top 5 Zelda for me. Just utterly fantastic in every way. The dungeons were short, but sweet, and while it was easy, it was definitely a ton of fun.

Also this definitely has one of the best soundtracks in the entire series. I mean goddamn.

KHlover

Banned
Never played Skyward Sword?

I did. And none of the dungeons were as short as Turtle Rock. I cleared the entire dungeon in about 15 minutes, including the boss and collecting the heart piece. My first time in the Deku Tree took me a bit longer (Was Dec. 2011 and after beating Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword btw).

Turtle Rock would have been the perfect Dungeon to start with in Lorule, as the last dungeon it's been a joke to blaze through it. Very fun nontheless :D

EDIT: Bahaha, the
Giant Spin Attack
hits the entire circle in the Tower of Challenges in Lorule :D

I really fucking like the shadow link street pass stuff. Ive been just doing that stuff lately and trying to get all of the achievements. Wonder what you get if you do all of them. I have 17 so far.

CrisKre

I want to say, having just finished the game, I absolutely LOVED certain design choices in this title. For instance, the idea of making some of the chests in dungeons optional to get (and attainable with items other than the main dungeon item) was a fantastic choice, especially since these chests where not only difficult to get but also usually contained significant rewards (master ore to upgrade your sword, more powerful mails, etc.)

I hope the next installment expands on this ideas.

wrowa

I really fucking like the shadow link street pass stuff. Ive been just doing that stuff lately and trying to get all of the achievements. Wonder what you get if you do all of them. I have 17 so far.

Yep, love it too. It's so great to have something to come back to even after I've already got all of the items, upgrades, heart pieces and maimais. There's finally a reason to revisit the world! ;)

I've got about 30 accomplishments so far.

It's ugly but it's charming and pretty nonchalant about using character designs that wouldn't seem too out of place back in the day but give us pause now. I don't see how people can deny that the game can be ugly but I do appreciate that it's this weird mixture of SNES era visual design and 80s-90s Zelda marketing material. It's certainly got a vibe that you don't get from too many modern games at all

I appreciate that there's many more NPCs than ALttP and that they are as wacky as in the Capcom games, but then I'm also bummed at out at how cheap the character models look.

I have to say (big spoilers):

I was pretty disappointed how much of a non-entity Ganon was in the story though. I was all pumped for the proper return of the King of Evil (he hasn't really played a role in any Zelda in like seven years) but he ended having pretty much no impact on the story at all. I think it would have been better had his spirit overtaken Yuga's at the end instead of Yuga just up and betraying Hilda. Yuga was too weak of a villain to have as much of an impact as a final boss I feel, Hilda was much more effective as a villain, if only because you know what her motivations are and you spend more time seeing her speak. I mean, yeah, everyone likes to complain about Ganon hijacking every story, but, I don't know. Just feels like a wasted potential to have Ganon and not really use him for anything other than to pull nostalgia strings for the second to last fight.

Just an odd thought about the ending.

Hilda said:
Yours. A Triforce based on such virtues as Power, Wisdom, and Courage.

For a brief moment, I thought she was implying that Lorule's inverted Triforce was a combination of Impotence, Ignorance, and Pusillanimity.

KHlover

Banned
Finished the first run! (24h38min according to the Activity Log)

18/20 Heart Containers (missing 5 heart pieces)
100/100 Maimai's

But I lack the Red Tunic and Hylian Shield for some reason...where can I find them?

Lotto

I just picked up the Master Sword and I have to say that this game is just pure fun. I think the rental system is a bit iffy though. Everything else so far just feels right, having a blast. Also the game looks good in motion. The art direction is starting to grow on me but I would say it's one of the weaker styles I've seen Nintendo use for Zelda.

Conor 419

Banned

I was pretty disappointed how much of a non-entity Ganon was in the story though. I was all pumped for the proper return of the King of Evil (he hasn't really played a role in any Zelda in like seven years) but he ended having pretty much no impact on the story at all. I think it would have been better had his spirit overtaken Yuga's at the end instead of Yuga just up and betraying Hilda. Yuga was too weak of a villain to have as much of an impact as a final boss I feel, Hilda was much more effective as a villain, if only because you know what her motivations are and you spend more time seeing her speak. I mean, yeah, everyone likes to complain about Ganon hijacking every story, but, I don't know. Just feels like a wasted potential to have Ganon and not really use him for anything other than to pull nostalgia strings for the second to last fight.

I liked this to be honest, as his character has become more of an entity which is obviously appropriate given the lore.

Just beat A Link Between Worlds. Wonderful, wonderful game. I really loved the final dungeon (probably my favorite one) and the final boss was super fun and had a neat mechanic. I got chills when some of the classic Zelda/LTTP music started playing. And the ending was really good, I thought. Very touching and surprising even (at least one aspect of it).
Dat Ravio reveal... Gotta admit, didn't see that coming even though I probably should have, lol.

Final playtime: 21~hours
Rupees collected: 24,000~
0 Deaths
All heart containers
All upgrades
All items

Kind of short playtime (and this is coming from someone who takes their time), but... it was 21 hours of awesome stuff with no filler or anything. :) Will definitely do Hero mode later.

Finished the first run! (24h38min according to the Activity Log)

18/20 Heart Containers (missing 5 heart pieces)
100/100 Maimai's

But I lack the Red Tunic and Hylian Shield for some reason...where can I find them?
Like Sendou said, you missed some chests in some dungeons. All Lorule dungeons have a big chest with an optional item in them (save for the Desert Palace, where it's required). This includes
Lorule Castle

If you want to know specifically,
the Hylian Shield is in Turtle Rock and the Red Mail is in Lorule Castle.

cube444

Quite the opposite for me. Anticipated that and never got it...which was absolutely fine with me.

bomer

Quick help anyone? I just got the 4th Master Ore piece and now have the Lvl 2 master sword. I went to the blacksmith in both Hyrule and Lorule and none of the people in the blacksmith shop or outside it offer to upgrade it to level 3. Do I have to do anything extra, like a mini sidequest or bring the kid back to the blacksmith in hyrule or something I missed to get level 3 master sword? Super annoying, I want to get it before I go to the final castle.

edit - Oops! You have to talk to the guy out front of the blacksmith and then walk down the stairs! :p I immediately broomed my way to links house and went light world and then came back before even walking away. Thanks to Gamefaqs

Completed the game and loved EVERY SECOND.

One of the best last battle / story endings of the series for me too...

I restarted the game in Hero mode and OMG getting my ass kicked on some parts lol.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
What's up with y'all and no deaths? Fucking final boss destroyed me multiple times. And that was on normal mode. Hero mode is absolutely having its way with me.

The whole "too easy" thing is baffling to me. I think you guys are just too good at games. Balancing a game to your level would make it balls hard for everyone else.

Just started playing....dat music....wow

So-Beautiful.gif

Yuterald

Just finished
Turtle Rock
. Love the fact that it was actually in a shape of one, lol! Another perfectly cohesive and tightly designed dungeon. LOVE the size of the dungeons, actually. Just enough "aha" moments to tickle that side of the brain. Never overstays its welcome either. Pacing is untouchable in this game. Only three more to go!

KarmaCow

What's up with y'all and no deaths? Fucking final boss destroyed me multiple times. And that was on normal mode. Hero mode is absolutely having its way with me.

The whole "too easy" thing is baffling to me. I think you guys are just too good at games. Balancing a game to your level would make it balls hard for everyone else.

The only attack
that was kinda annoying was that one where all the energy balls shoot out of the walls, but I think you can avoid by merging into the wall and chasing the wave. I never actually tried that though because I just tanked through it since I had so much health anyways

I loved the final boss - mechanically, incredibly fun, but from a difficulty standpoint, it wasn't that bad. I actually lost most hearts on the Desert Palace and Ice Ruins bosses. xD

I had one death because I went to Death Mountain really early and didn't realize how deadly the Lynels were going to be.

It's true though, balancing toward Zelda vets is not really a good idea for the typical player. One day we'll get a new Zelda with Hero Mode unlocked from the start and it will be a Good Compromise though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

I mean that could be it. I'm sure many/most of us have been playing, specifically Zelda, games for over 20 years now, so it's old hat. Then again, offering an increased difficulty Hero mode indicates that they're at least somewhat self-aware that the difficulty in the regular game is a balanced/lighter difficulty for most players. Personally, I don't think the fact that it was easy for me made it any less enjoyable, and I wouldn't feel bad for dying in normal mode either.

Dat Ice Temple. I'm glad I saved that one for last. Gonna finish this game up in a little while. I searched high and low but I cannot find the last two heart pieces, or the
red tunic
. Also, are their supposed to be three empty item slots?

Just beat the game and got 100%, this is a damn good game, I'd put it in the top 5 Zelda games.
It might sound crazy, but I actually enjoyed this game a lot more than ALTTP.
Dat Ice Temple. I'm glad I saved that one for last. Gonna finish this game up in a little while. I searched high and low but I cannot find the last two heart pieces, or the
red tunic
. Also, are their supposed to be three empty item slots?
I'd recommend the zeldadungeon.net guide for heart pieces, the "item" you are missing is in the final dungeon and yes there are 3 empty slots.

Just beat the game and got 100%, this is a damn good game, I'd put it in the top 5 Zelda games.
It might sound crazy, but I actually enjoyed this game a lot more than ALTTP.
I'd recommend the zeldadungeon.net guide for heart pieces, the "item" you are missing is in the final dungeon and yes there are 3 empty slots.

Thanks man. It was the damn Rupee Rush ones.

Top Bottom