• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

On the whole I love the new structure, with the ability to go to any dungeon you like. However it's brought a couple of problems off the top of my head:

- The story between dungeons suffers. There's no reason they couldn't have made cutscenes that take place away from the dungeon you're in (but more involving and elaborate than the
sacred realm
scenes.

- I finished
Ice Temple
first, I had about 7 hearts. Now I've just finished one of the easiest dungeons yet, with 11 hearts, during which I found the
blue tunic
which effectively gave me
22 hearts
! Feels like a bit of a pushover now and it didn't have to be.

All in all though this is easily a top 3 Zelda for me. I'm not holding my breath for any Majora's Mask references outside of Link's home because Nintendo are massive prick teases, and the game is very narrative-light. But it'd be nice.

My copy of Hyrule Historia came in yesterday. Great book, love it, but a quick question: Have they said yet where A Link Between Worlds falls? I assume between ALttP and the Oracle games, but I wasn't sure.
Aonuma has said it takes place between Link's Awakening and The Legend of Zelda. Many, many generations after Link's Awakening, and indefinite amount of time before The Legend of Zelda.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally got all heart pieces. Was missing two from the mini games, kinda proud I didn't have to look up any.
But can you fill up all the item slots? I'm still missing a whole column.

ok.. mmhh. I am prepared to have the following info spoiled:

how do I reach (make it appear first?) the chest at the very very beginning of the
Ice ruins
?

If I'm thinking of the right one (is that the room where the platforms rotate down?),
just stand on one and walk under the ledge at the entrance, there's a small space underneath

and in the same dungeon, there is another one that you reach entering from behind and I can't seem to find the path to it. anybody knows how I get to it?

Not exactly sure which one you mean, but there's one tricky one where you have to
use the wall ability to get around almost a quarter of the whole outer wall
to get to it. Maybe it's that one?

soultron

Banned
That Cucco challenge sounds like a fun thing to put in, I love small unlockables like this in games that are really challenging. I'm going to give it my all but I did have trouble with the 90 second one so maybe I'll be in over my head.

Having 3D on will help a bit. Use the shadows to gauge how far off the ground some of the birds are; you can stand underneath the ones flying high enough off the ground.

I like that you can find optional items in the dungeons. Would have been really cool if they were randomized in their location and perhaps had the item upgrades as another randomized item to find in the world. Would make replays interesting

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That feeling of hey I have every heart piece but one so I'm almost done.

Wait wtf piece am I missing?!?!?!

Grrrrrr

Derrick01

Banned
Wow I wasn't expecting the item rental prices to be so cheap. I think I rented everything for around 350-400 rupees and I had 1800 on me at the time. There were quite a few important items that were only 20-50. That kind of makes dying, as rare as it may be, pretty frivolous.

Tom_Cody

Well there used to be a time when Nintendo didn't have to take such obvious short cuts in their handheld Zeldas. For example, I liked Link's Awakening quite a bit more than I did A Link to the Past because it not only used the latter as a frame work, but added even more to the experience. And the games that followed on GBC were also great. But along the way now it seems like there has to be a catch, something holding them back from being truly amazing. I'm still enjoying ALBW quite a bit but the joy of exploration and discovery is lessened by the content recycling.

But I am definitely excited about the WiiU Zelda, Skyward Sword was a bit of a let down, but no other 3D Zelda game has let me down.
I don't know if we actually disagree.

My reference to Nintendo's "development shortcut" was made with Nintendo's workflow in mind. To state my point in another way, I am happy that this game came out in the fall of 2013 and that the staff can now get to work on other games. The Iwata Asks article for this game discussed this issue pretty directly. Development of this title began in 2009 following the completion of Spirit Tracks and then went through stops and starts as the staff was pulled to other projects within Nintendo. If they had spent another year they could have done a completely new overworld and added more content to this but, as it stands, this is still an incredible piece of software. And now this staff can witch over to Wii U Zelda.

That said, as I discussed in my previous post, I don't consider the re-used overworld to be a completely bad thing either.

D-e-f-

Banned
Just finished it. HOLY SMOKES!

My stats:
Playtime: 20h15m - Hearts: 20/20; Maiamais: 100; Sword L3; Hylian Shield, Bottles: 4; 1/4 dmg; Total rupees : 22828; Deaths: 3 (I reset the game the first few times when I still rented the majority of items^^ ...so it's actually around 6 times)

100 Maimais gotten, and I beat the stupid octo derby. I also got the upgraded lantern.

Think I'm good for now and am gonna head to the final castle.

Upgraded lantern? Where why how! =O

Completed it last night, about to start Hero mode. Is there a consensus for the best order for dungeons? I did turtle rock last and realized I went nearly the entire game without the Hyrule Shield.

Gambit

Just finished it as, though I don't have all the heart pieces yet.

It was fantastic! It was so incredibly good, I don't know if I can go back to a linear Zelda.

Engame Spoilers
I was totally surprised by the Ravio revelation. Now that I know, clearly all the signs were there, but I didn't expect it at all.
In general, I really liked the story and how it was told. The cutscenes were just the right amount for such a breezy game.

georly

Completed it last night, about to start Hero mode. Is there a consensus for the best order for dungeons? I did turtle rock last and realized I went nearly the entire game without the
Hyrule Shield.

I do it last on purpose because that item isn't much help, even though it's
the coolest looking one!

My order is
thieves, desert (gloves), get all the maiamais, water, dark, ice, turtle rock

That way
You get the gloves early, and then armor, and then 2 sword upgrades back to back. Ice/turtle rock items are kinda not that great, but ice is better than turtle rock, expecially for the tower.

sphinx

the piano man
If I'm thinking of the right one (is that the room where the platforms rotate down?),
just stand on one and walk under the ledge at the entrance, there's a small space underneath

this one was right, damn, it was easy, I should have figured it out by myself.

Jucksalbe said:
Not exactly sure which one you mean, but there's one tricky one where you have to
use the wall ability to get around almost a quarter of the whole outer wall
to get to it. Maybe it's that one?

this one still remains unavailable to me. It's exactly to the north and in the middle of the map in the middle floor, the one with 2 fairies to the east.

the map shows an entrance from above, from the north but there is no wall to move through, it's all sealed.

D-e-f-

Banned
Just beat the game and I loved the ending. Especially that
the Triforce was used to create or restore another Triforce and save Hilda and her people, in spite of what they'd done. It reminded me of in Skyward Sword when Zelda supposes that the Triforce was left by the Gods to give the people hope.

And is it just me, or does Ravio look a lot like Nabbit?

Someone hasn't been keeping up. :)

watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je5vZ8imiLc&feature=player_detailpage#t=131

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Completed it last night, about to start Hero mode. Is there a consensus for the best order for dungeons? I did turtle rock last and realized I went nearly the entire game without the Hyrule Shield.
I aim for the blue first and then the ores then the stamina and then Turtle Rock last... I rarely use the shield anyways.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having such a great time with this game just trailing around and exploring everything listing to the soundtrack of the forever

What an absolute gem of a game

D-e-f-

Banned
this one still remains unavailable to me. It's exactly to the north and in the middle of the map in the middle floor, the one with 2 fairies to the east.

the map shows an entrance from above, from the north but there is no wall to move through, it's all sealed.

I was missing the exact same two treasures as you. The description he gave you is correct. You have to go around the outside which will almost fully deplete your stamina gauge.

This!

You need the upgraded tunic ASAP.

Ironically, I did that dungeon last and thus played almost the entire game without one, not knowing it was even there lol.

Vibed

Hint:
The outer wall you're looking for isn't in that room.
;)

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but after you beat the game you can start a new file on hero mode. Does that mean my shadow link is overwritten after I meet gramps again on the new file? Or will my 3DS send out 2 shadow links(one from each save file) to anyone I street pass with? I cant find anything on this =(

Moff

I wanted to get the magic upgrade first, because fire rod and wind rod are awesome and make you invincible.
but after I realized you are one hitted by everything in lorule, i decided to do swamp first to get the blue mail.

Zalman

I just got owned by the Thieves' Hideout boss and now I have to do the rescue thing all over again. Uggghhh. Why didn't they let you save beforehand? :(

KLonso

I just got owned by the Thieves' Hideout boss and now I have to do the rescue thing all over again. Uggghhh. Why didn't they let you save beforehand? :(

Well at least you can just take the short way through, instead of having to do all the puzzles all over again

playing hard mode. I really don't find any of the dungeons challenging. The most challenging part of the game is stuff outside the dungeons. I only have two more left and they're never causing me to think about what to do next. Ive been blazing through them. Anyone else find the dungeon puzzles not to really be puzzles.

Item Box

Just finished LTTP so I could finally get around to starting this.

Decided to put some headphones in after hearing good things about the soundtrack, and I don't regret it, shit's amazing

I do however, regret opening the game, as I need sleep ;_;

LGom09

playing hard mode. I really don't find any of the dungeons challenging. The most challenging part of the game is stuff outside the dungeons. I only have two more left and they're never causing me to think about what to do next. Ive been blazing through them. Anyone else find the dungeon puzzles not to really be puzzles.
I found most of the puzzles to be more clever than challenging. I don't remember ever being stuck for more than a minute or so.

I found most of the puzzles to be more clever than challenging. I don't remember ever being stuck for more than a minute or so.

They weren't roadblocking, but I enjoyed their simplicity. It always felt about the right pace I was going, just enough time to observe what's around me and think "that's it!". I wouldn't mind the rest of the game being substantially harder (IE hero mode available to start)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Zelda U takes every lesson that ALBW has to give in how to properly pace a Zelda game

flawless

Gambit

Completed the game last night.

Best Zelda game since Link's Awakening, easily. The last action in the game to defeat the boss was beautiful.

Yes, it really was. Nintendo does such things wonderfully. It felt truly cinematic, yet you didn't give up control.

The moment will live on in the same way as Wind Waker's final action.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing for 12+ hours and I still have no clue where the effing pegasus boots are, haha. I've spent about two hours deliberately looking for them, too.

Completed the game last night.

Best Zelda game since Link's Awakening, easily. The last action in the game to defeat the boss was beautiful.
Agreed! The admiration I had for that last battle was astounding. I enjoyed every second of it. Had to play it in 3D
I've been playing for 12+ hours and I still have no clue where the effing pegasus boots are, haha. I've spent about two hours deliberately looking for them, too.

Haha, It took me forever to find them. That was the last item I attained in the game because I just couldn't find them

Sickbean

Although I'm loving the game, the fact that I'm not treating this first playthrough as my 'de facto' playthrough due to wanting to go on to hero mode is definitely diminishing the fun I'm having.

Wish they would have let us just play hero mode straight away. What possible down-sides would there have been to this?

D-e-f-

Banned
Although I'm loving the game, the fact that I'm not treating this first playthrough as my 'de facto' playthrough due to wanting to go on to hero mode is definitely diminishing the fun I'm having.

Wish they would have let us just play hero mode straight away. What possible down-sides would there have been to this?

A ton of frustration from constantly being one-hit killed because you're not familiar with the world?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yeah, imagine not knowing where to get the Blue and always dying in 2 hits or so, especially from bosses.

Sickbean

A ton of frustration from constantly being one-hit killed because you're not familiar with the world?

But if it's optional, you can just choose to restart on normal.

They could even have put a 'are you sure you want to start on Hero Mode, it's really really tricky' type disclaimer on it or something.

Top Bottom