• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Do I have to beat any dungeons to obtain a piece of ore or the glove to pick up huge boulders? Can I explore Lorule and find both?

Three of the four ores are in dungeons. The glove is
also in a dungeon
. In
the sand dungeon
, if you want to know.

You don't have to BEAT any dungeons for the items in them, btw. Can just find the big chests and bail.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I've done everything item wise in the game. I just haven't gotten every heart piece. Only thing I have left to do other than the street pass stuff.

Debating if I'm gonna try and get the pieces I'm missing. If I decide to them it becomes do I look on my own or cross reference a guide. Hmmmm

I have a question. I remember reading a quote from Aonuma about a very clueless or hard puzzle in the game. He discussed it with Miyamoto and after a long debate, they decided to put it in the game.

Does anyone know which section or puzzle in the game he meant? I never had the feeling I'm completely stuck....

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I have a question. I remember reading a quote from Aonuma about a very clueless or hard puzzle in the game. He discussed it with Miyamoto and after a long debate, they decided to put it in the game.

Does anyone know which section or puzzle in the game he meant? I never had the feeling I'm completely stuck....

Maybe the
Master Ore in the Dark Palace
? I managed to divine the answer to that one almost immediately, but I do recognize it as being pretty dag fiendish.

leroidys

You might have done something like I did and completely miss the Turtle Rock heart piece since it blended in with the lava.

Or you could be missing the mini-game heart pieces. Check a guide to make sure.

3 were from mini games that I had beaten the night before but forgot to save lol. The overworld one I couldn't find was in
the crypt of the Sanctuary, right at the beginning.

Maybe the
Master Ore in the Dark Palace
? I managed to divine the answer to that one almost immediately, but I do recognize it as being pretty dag fiendish.

I thought that was one of the easier puzzles... I am a seasoned Zelda player so maybe it made sense to me

I've beaten 4 of the primary dungeons now and I really don't want this game to end. I know I still have a few to go, but damn, what an amazing game so far.

Jinto

Just finished the game. Awesome! A Link to the Past is one of my favorite games of all time, and I had a smile on my face the whole time playing this. It did enough to differentiate from the previous game to make it feel both fresh and nostalgic at the same time. I like that the dungeons were short for being a handheld game. None of the dungeons overstayed their welcome, and when I was stuck - usually for something stupid - it wasn't tedious to go searching for the answer.

It's my first 3ds game as well. So glad I bought the game, and the system!

Randomizer

This game is sooo good. I can't believe that after it's first reveal I was skeptical that a sequel to ALTTP could work. I have one dungeon left and the final castle and don't want it to end. The dungeons and puzzles are incredible. They may be small but there is no pointless rooms, with almost all of them containing some form of puzzle and purpose. Some reviewers noted that the bosses weren't great but I disagree. Maybe compared to 3D Zelda titles but the bosses are great for 2D Zelda, much better than ALTTP.

The renting system is a little bit of downside to me. I understand it's purpose is to free up the game. Allowing for a more open ended approach to dungeons but perhaps a better alternative would be mini dungeons specifically for items.

mrkgoo

This game is sooo good. I can't believe that after it's first reveal I was skeptical that a sequel to ALTTP could work. I have one dungeon left and the final castle and don't want it to end. The dungeons and puzzles are incredible. They may be small but there is no pointless rooms, with almost all of them containing some form of puzzle and purpose. Some reviewers noted that the bosses weren't great but I disagree. Maybe compared to 3D Zelda titles but the bosses are great for 2D Zelda, much better than ALTTP.

The renting system is a little bit of downside to me. I understand it's purpose is to free up the game. Allowing for a more open ended approach to dungeons but perhaps a better alternative would be mini dungeons specifically for items.

I think the game overall is fantastic.

The freeflow dungeon order is great, and the rental system is sort of a necessity for it. My concern that it would ruin the feel of progression of your character turned out to be unfounded, as the upgrade system as well as items in the dungeons made up for it (really, the tools were taken out of the dungeons and the character upgrades put into them).

However, I do feel a sort of restriction on the rentals, at least early game would've helped add a strategic element to usign the items, just to prevent you from just getting everything early on at once.

For example:

1) Have each item cost more to rent if you are already renting some. Like the first item you rent is 20 rupees, and the next 40, 80, 160, 320, 640, 1280, and the last one 2560.

2) maybe allow only 3 items at the beginning, so you have to choose which you want to go out with, and have an upgrade (or two) to eventually allow you to carry all at once.

3) maybe both of the above.

Anyway, it's still good. I think the game is great, as it really is a new style of zelda, 2D, but sort of 3D as well due to the wall mechanic and levels.

I thought it relied a little TOO much on lttp, as it's nearly a pseudo remake. It's probably a better game overall than lttp, but lttp is a product of its time, and a more perfect example of this type of game, whereas lbw has a few faults.

I just replayed lttp on gba, and I surprised myself at how fast that game is as well. I finished some of the dungeons in 15 minutes! (dark world ones too!), on average, those dungeons were 20-30 minutes if you've played them before (I remember them, but forgot details so was still playing them through, not speed run style).

Moff

I think the game overall is fantastic.

The freeflow dungeon order is great, and the rental system is sort of a necessity for it. My concern that it would ruin the feel of progression of your character turned out to be unfounded, as the upgrade system as well as items in the dungeons made up for it (really, the tools were taken out of the dungeons and the character upgrades put into them).

However, I do feel a sort of restriction on the rentals, at least early game would've helped add a strategic element to usign the items, just to prevent you from just getting everything early on at once.

For example:

1) Have each item cost more to rent if you are already renting some. Like the first item you rent is 20 rupees, and the next 40, 80, 160, 320, 640, 1280, and the last one 2560.

2) maybe allow only 3 items at the beginning, so you have to choose which you want to go out with, and have an upgrade (or two) to eventually allow you to carry all at once.

3) maybe both of the above.

Anyway, it's still good. I think the game is great, as it really is a new style of zelda, 2D, but sort of 3D as well due to the wall mechanic and levels.

I think that would have destroyed the purpose of the whole rental system. you are supposed to get everything for almost nothing. so you can freely explore the world and do the dungeon you may find when doing that.

It certainly has up and down sides, but it works fine. As I said before, although I enjoyed it very much once I dont need them to use the rental system again, so there is no need to improve it either.

mrkgoo

I think that would have destroyed the purpose of the whole rental system. you are supposed to get everything for almost nothing. so you can freely explore the world and do the dungeon you may find when doing that.

It certainly has up and down sides, but it works fine. As I said before, although I enjoyed it very much once I dont need them to use the rental system again, so there is no need to improve it either.

I wouldn't say it would've destroyed it, since travelling around is so fluid and swift, it would be easy to go back and swap out the items you want. Just some sort of strategic element.

I mean, if the purpose is so you can have everything for nothing, why even bother with the rental system? Why not just give you everything?

The increasing pricing scheme, of course, makes no sense for buying, but something could've been worked out.

Yeah, Ocarina of Time already dabbled with that approach a little, but I'd love to see that go further. There's just something that feels odd about renting items in a Zelda game, I dunno, it feels...cheap? The game is great outside of that and its latching unto ALTTP too closely for my tastes.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Beat the baseball mini-game in three tries, pretty sure that makes me the best ever at it.

Honestly, I read a few reviews citing the re-use of ALttP's world as a big negative. I've played that game dozens of times, and I know its map backwards and forwards. I love revisiting the world, seeing what's changed and the new flip-side in Lorule.

The re-use feels great, in my book.

Beat the baseball mini-game in three tries, pretty sure that makes me the best ever at it.

Honestly, I read a few reviews citing the re-use of ALttP's world as a big negative. I've played that game dozens of times, and I know its map backwards and forwards. I love revisiting the world, seeing what's changed and the new flip-side in Lorule.

I just love the excitement of exploring a brand new region in a Zelda game but I know ALTTP's world too well so it all feels rather familiar.

Tom_Cody

I also enjoyed the familiarity. Then again, I also enjoyed revisiting each of the areas in Skyward Sword and getting to know them a little better each time, though tons of people have criticized that as 'backtracking'.
I just love the excitement of exploring a brand new region in a Zelda game but I know ALTTP's world too well so it all feels rather familiar.
I recognize your point but I think their strategy of layering a new game system, new gameplay, and new additional content onto an old world worked fantastically in this case. Also, practically speaking, the game would not have turned out this well if they had not incorporated that development shortcut. I am infinitely happier that we got this instead of another Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

The Zelda for Wii U is a different story. They have the benefit of a much longer development period. Coming off of this, I could not possibly be more excited about that title. This game system with a new gorgeous HD world will be a gaming event for sure.

magnetic

I´m having even more fun on my second playthrough.

I was considering selling it after finishing it (given how much money you can get back from selling first-party Nintendo games), but then I kinda tried the Hero mode and got instantly hooked.

Having to really pay attention to the enemies really makes the whole game more intense, and really shows how fantastic the controls are. At this point it feels like a really polished arcade game, in a way.

I also never used fairies in my normal run (I even missed the net completely), but fairies are absolutely vital in hero mode - even normal grunts one-hit killed me when I just arrived in Lorule. It motivates me to stay alert in a way the normal mode absolutely didn´t.

It´s also really enjoyable to plan out my route through the dungeons. During my first run I just kinda went through the dungeons by instinct (finding the blue mail way too late, but given how easy normal mode is that wasn´t too much of a problem), but today I just went straight for the blue mail and postponed the rest of the dungeon (and the boss) for a later time.

Hearing those fantastic tunes again is such a joy, too - I´m really happy they gave each Lorule dungeon its own music.

I don´t know the last time I finished a game and directly started over again. And I´m not even really a big Zelda fan to begin with (I only really enjoyed AlttP, which I finished probably around 6-7 times since my childhood) - there is so little friction in the game, and the short dungeons and miniscule cutscenes really help make this one of these game I can play over and over again for many years to come.

I´m really suprised how great this game is.

One piece of heart to find. ONE. And I have no clue where it is. I finished all games multiple times, I have searched every place I marked on my map. It's going to be impossible to find.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
One piece of heart to find. ONE. And I have no clue where it is. I finished all games multiple times, I have searched every place I marked on my map. It's going to be impossible to find.

Just off the top of my head (heart piece location spoilers):

Did you get:
The one in the Death Mountain cave where you have to drop on platforms?
The one in the Sanctuary sewers at the very beginning?
The one below the Zora Domain waterfall?
The one in the Lost Woods?
One in Death Mountain where you have to merge and drop down to an otherwise inaccessible tunnel (looks like a cave door)?

Those are ones I remember not getting until later.

sphinx

the piano man
awesome, 99 of the 100 maiamais are found outside, in the overworld.

but there is ONE FUCKING THING of those that is inside a cave, half an hour wasted trying to listen to the sound outside, then went to a FAQs just to find out nintendo are assholes/trolls.

awesome, 99 of the 100 maiamais are found outside, in the overworld.

but there is ONE FUCKING THING of those that is inside a cave, half an hour wasted trying to listen to the sound outside, then went to a FAQs just to find out nintendo are assholes/trolls.

I found that one out early which scared me into thinking a bunch would be in caves.

Brick

Just beat this game last night. Easily my favorite Zelda since Link to the Past. I might even like it more, but I'll have to let it sit for a while before I decide on that. Fantastic game.

Bullza2o

This game is amazing! I also find 2D Zeldas a bit difficult, especially defending myself. I just beat the Dark Palace (got stuck multiple times, ashamed to had to resort finding a hint online), and died twice fighting the boss. Good thing I had 2 fairies with me.

Eteric Rice

So, I'm on the dungeon
where they're keeping this theif chick prisoner because she knows where the painting is. I get to this dark room with these things that surround and wreck me.

Wat do?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Thanks. I think I got those, I will recheck.

Found it, l
ocked house in the village, I knew something was up with that.

oh lol, well glad you found it :)

So, I'm on the dungeon
where they're keeping this theif chick prisoner because she knows where the painting is. I get to this dark room with these things that surround and wreck me.

Wat do?

Try not to awaken all of them at once. They won't wake up unless you move close to them. Then just spam your sword when they get close. You can try a spin attack if you're getting surrounded. If you're not using your lantern, also, you could try doing that too.

CorvoSol

Just beat the game and I loved the ending. Especially that
the Triforce was used to create or restore another Triforce and save Hilda and her people, in spite of what they'd done. It reminded me of in Skyward Sword when Zelda supposes that the Triforce was left by the Gods to give the people hope.

And is it just me, or does Ravio look a lot like Nabbit?

From what I understand the Shadow Temple from OOT shares its name with the Dark Palace/Palace of Darkness from ALTTP/ALBW/FSA in Japanese.

sphinx

the piano man
ok.. mmhh. I am prepared to have the following info spoiled:

how do I reach (make it appear first?) the chest at the very very beginning of the
Ice ruins
?

and in the same dungeon, there is another one that you reach entering from behind and I can't seem to find the path to it. anybody knows how I get to it?

let us spoiltag this sort of info people, I don't mind but there is a shiton of spoilers here already (I am to blame partially) and the game is brand new, plenty of gamers starting it right now. let's be considerate.

I recognize your point but I think their strategy of layering a new game system, new gameplay, and new additional content onto an old world worked fantastically in this case. Also, practically speaking, the game would not have turned out this well if they had not incorporated that development shortcut. I am infinitely happier that we got this instead of another Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

The Zelda for Wii U is a different story. They have the benefit of a much longer development period. Coming off of this, I could not possibly be more excited about that title. This game system with a new gorgeous HD world will be a gaming event for sure.

Well there used to be a time when Nintendo didn't have to take such obvious short cuts in their handheld Zeldas. For example, I liked Link's Awakening quite a bit more than I did A Link to the Past because it not only used the latter as a frame work, but added even more to the experience. And the games that followed on GBC were also great. But along the way now it seems like there has to be a catch, something holding them back from being truly amazing. I'm still enjoying ALBW quite a bit but the joy of exploration and discovery is lessened by the content recycling.

But I am definitely excited about the WiiU Zelda, Skyward Sword was a bit of a let down, but no other 3D Zelda game has let me down.

My copy of Hyrule Historia came in yesterday. Great book, love it, but a quick question: Have they said yet where A Link Between Worlds falls? I assume between ALttP and the Oracle games, but I wasn't sure.

Timeaisis

My copy of Hyrule Historia came in yesterday. Great book, love it, but a quick question: Have they said yet where A Link Between Worlds falls? I assume between ALttP and the Oracle games, but I wasn't sure.

I don't think anyone really knows. It's definitely after ALTTP, but I'm not sure how far after.

EDIT:
Actually, I remember Nintendo posting something to Twitter recently. According to them it's after ALLTP, Oracle, and LA.

(minor spoilers for previous games)
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/the-legend-of-zelda-3ds/0/04/Zeldatimeline.jpg

SegaShack

That Cucco challenge sounds like a fun thing to put in, I love small unlockables like this in games that are really challenging. I'm going to give it my all but I did have trouble with the 90 second one so maybe I'll be in over my head.

Top Bottom