• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

oatmeal

Banned
Got the Red Mail...100%'d...except for Shadow Link...haven't had one because of my internet.

I cahnged the channel 1 and now it works again.

Odd.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Love the game. But I do feel I'm grinding dungeons right now.

I somehow miss the immersiveness of a console zelda.

However, this game is beautifully designed. The pacing is amazing.

D-e-f-

Banned
Just beat the game, quick question though. Didn't I read somewhere that at the end of ALBTW there would be an answer if Majoras mask would be remade?

You only read that if someone fed you bullshit and/or was reading things into an Aonuma quote that were never intended.

The different movement is probably messing with his head. Link can aim the sword in any direction unlike the 4 directons he can swipe in lttp

Exactly. I think this is a similar case as with the "old Mario games were harder!!" crowd who like to forget that movement in the older games was severely restricted compared to newer ones. The fact that Link can easily and swiftly slash in a circle around him to defend himself in this game thanks to the circle pad makes it a lot easier to get rid of approaching enemies.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but does anyone else think that Zelda Wii U might actually be a sequel to Majoras Mask? With the reveal of Skull Kid as an assist trophy in Smash Bros. 4, the reference in ALBW, the teasing about a possible Majoras Mask 3D... It just has me wondering. The structure of MM certainly would work well with the more open structure introduced in ALBW and Aonuma hinted you would be able to chose dungeon order in Zelda Wii U. He also mentioned the possibility of more than one person being able to play... Imagine some sort of co-op or competitive feature where you use masks to become Zoras, Gorons, Dekus, etc. I dunno... it could be cool. I'm sure whatever they end up doing I will enjoy though.

Let's say it this way: I think there's no way that all these Majora's Mask teases are just for fun.

Just finished the game on normal setting. Loved thr storyline, but definitely needs to put the weapons back in the dungeon. Had so much rupees to burn in the end, that I just played minigames on end. This is my first game that I literally was addicted and finiahed over a 2 week time, given my hectic work schedule. Nintendk definitely knows how to make games and bring nostalgia back :). I might just play Ocarina of Time 3DS now :)

Strongly disagree.

You still got a lot of items in the dungeons, it's just no longer those you need for the puzzles (for the most part). Doing it this way makes the open structure work. Do you go for sword upgrades? Do you want to take less damage sooner? Do you want to be able to explore all parts of the world first? Putting items in the dungeons just means the order you do them in becomes trivial and has no bearing on anything.

LTWheels

Finished Link Between Worlds this morning. Good game, but not this amazing 10/10 game that everyone has been dancing and waving about. Think a lot of people have been blinded by nostalgia.

I don't think a lot of the new ideas worked that well.

The renting of items is a pointless mechanic.
  • The game feels like it was not designed with this in mind and that it was thrown in at the last minute. The dungeons are still designed with one (or two) items to complete the dungeon. It's still the case of 'this is the hookshot dungeon, this is the bomb dungeon, this is the bow&arrow dungeon etc. The design of the puzzle don't take advantage of you having all the items available, and there is nothing like multiple solutions to the same problem. You have to use the designated item for that dungeon. Because of this they might as well just have the item in a chest in the dungeon as nothing has changed.
  • The game is not hard enough to make the renting mechanic work. I only died 4 times. My deaths occurred at bosses during the beginning of the game when I only had a handful of hearts. As you can complete the dungeons in any order, it means that the difficulty in all the dungeons is the same. There is no ramp up of difficulty as you progress through the game. In fact it gets easier. This is because you can upgrade you sword to do more damage and your tunic so you take less damage. However these upgrades are not hidden away in side-quests or areas of the map for you to explore. Instead they are found in chests within the dungeons. This means that there is this power creep as you get much more powerful in the natural course of the game, and as you can complete the dungeons in any order, the later parts of your game are not more difficult to compensate for your increased power. You just power through one-shotting everything.
The merging with walls mechanic is not that well utilised.
  • At first the ability to merge with walls and walk on them seems really interesting and cool. I like it for exploration of the world map to find secret areas, but it is poorly implemented as a puzzle mechanic inside dungeons. The idea is very rarely used for something creative. 9/10 times it just used to reach a platform on a wall, which you can not walk to.

Despite what I've said, it's still a good game and worth playing.

EliCash

I'm not so sure I can agree with any of the complaints I've read here, I've just finished my third dungeon in Lorule and I think everything is pretty perfect so far. Normally I hit a tedious point in a Zelda game, but here everything is just so incredibly fluid. The new mechanics really contribute to that.

Fuck Mother Maiaimai and that stupid song though. And fuck Octoball Derby too.

KHlover

Banned
Finished Link Between Worlds this morning. Good game, but not this amazing 10/10 game that everyone has been dancing and waving about. Think a lot of people have been blinded by nostalgia.

I don't think a lot of the new ideas worked that well.

The renting of items is a pointless mechanic.
  • The game is not hard enough to make the renting mechanic work. I only died 4 times. My deaths occurred at bosses during the beginning of the game when I only had a handful of hearts. As you can complete the dungeons in any order, it means that the difficulty in all the dungeons is the same. There is no ramp up of difficulty as you progress through the game. In fact it gets easier. This is because you can upgrade you sword to do more damage and your tunic so you take less damage. However these upgrades are not hidden away in side-quests or areas of the map for you to explore. Instead they are found in chests within the dungeons. This means that there is this power creep as you get much more powerful in the natural course of the game, and as you can complete the dungeons in any order, the later parts of your game are not more difficult to compensate for your increased power. You just power through one-shotting everything.

Bullshit. Play through the Ice Dungeon as first dungeon in Lorule and then Thieves Hideout immediately after and then tell me they had the same difficulty with a straight face.

The dungeons do have a varying difficulty.

D-e-f-

Banned
Bullshit. Play through the Ice Dungeon as first dungeon in Lorule and then Thieves Hideout immediately after and then tell me they had the same difficulty with a straight face.

The dungeons do have a varying difficulty.

You are correct sir. Factually correct.

Its nice to get all the weapons up front, but the rental system is pretty flawed in a game where you're rarely in danger of death and the game throws money at you like candy. Not sure if I need this idea to come up in the future.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I would have been happy if they had just made the rentals and purchases more expensive.

One thing I really don't understand is why they couldn't let you pay Ravio's little bird helper thing to keep your items when you die instead of having to go clear back to your house to get them again.

Need dungeon help this puzzle is probably obvious but I can't figure it out. Dark Dungeon Spoilers:
I'm at the Dark Dugeon, boss floor. I've managed to get the beams of sunlight onto these switches except for the top left one. There's a room to the lower left with a moving platform and three switches but I can't get to them. What am I missing?

Thanks.

LGom09

I would have been happy if they had just made the rentals and purchases more expensive.

One thing I really don't understand is why they couldn't let you pay Ravio's little bird helper thing to keep your items when you die instead of having to go clear back to your house to get them again.
It incentivizes not dying.

watershed

Banned
The downside of dying should be that you lose your rupees, not having the game pointlessly waste your time.

Say you lost rupees when you died instead of the bird taking your items, wouldn't the game be pointlessly wasting your time by forcing you to go rupee grinding? Wouldn't that be even more annoying?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Say you lost rupees when you died instead of the bird taking your items, wouldn't the game be pointlessly wasting your time by forcing you to go rupee grinding? Wouldn't that be even more annoying?

With the way this game hands out rupees you'd likely never find yourself in that situation.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Its nice to get all the weapons up front, but the rental system is pretty flawed in a game where you're rarely in danger of death and the game throws money at you like candy. Not sure if I need this idea to come up in the future.

Yes should be buy only, and priced in a way that forced you to choose your path carefully

D-e-f-

Banned
All your suggestions are terrible.

Y'all are out to destroy this game!

how-i-met-your-mother40fo6.gif

The Hermit

Need dungeon help this puzzle is probably obvious but I can't figure it out. Dark Dungeon Spoilers:
I'm at the Dark Dugeon, boss floor. I've managed to get the beams of sunlight onto these switches except for the top left one. There's a room to the lower left with a moving platform and three switches but I can't get to them. What am I missing?

Thanks.

The answer is in the second room just after the entrance. It took me a loong while to.
There's a room in that dungeon that I have no idea to get also...

Polished this bad boy off last night. Lorule Castle was a decent challenge. I had to use two blue potions to take out
YuGanon
. I never did find the Red Mail, and as I posted previously in the thread, I didn't find the Pegasus Boots until I had one dungeon left before Lorule Castle. I'm missing two hearts. I can think of three heart pieces that I missed:
the chicken dodging game, the baseball game, and the dash game. Maybe there's another one in the timed rupee hunts?
I also got about 75 maiamais. I did use a walkthrough once to find the
Hylian shield
, only because I wanted to confirm that there was one big chest in each dungeon.

D-e-f-

Banned
The answer is in the second room just after the entrance. It took me a loong while to.
There's a room in that dungeon that I have no idea to get also...

There's two rooms you could be talking about. I had problems with both.

The first one is on the first floor in that room (top left) with the two switches and the ascending/descending square platform. Solution:
While that platform is up, walk through it. It is hollow, you can walk under it into the room to the south.

The second one is on the top floor in the room with all the windows. Solution:
go to the middle of the room. There are two switches. One north, one south. The northern switch raises the platform above it up so you can stand on the ledge in front of the Helmasaur drawing. Earlier, you learned that the wall with the Helmasaur drawing turns around when you hit a switch. This is true in this room as well. But you need to activate the southern switch and then make your way onto that wall as the timespan is very short. Place a bomb close to the southern switch, then run onto the platform, hit the northern switch and quickly merge with the wall. I believe the chest has Master Ore? Not sure.

Does the compass show the chests? Guessing not.

Yes it does.

D-e-f-

Banned
Polished this bad boy off last night. Lorule Castle was a decent challenge. I had to use two blue potions to take out
YuGanon
. I never did find the Red Mail, and as I posted previously in the thread, I didn't find the Pegasus Boots until I had one dungeon left before Lorule Castle. I'm missing two hearts. I can think of three heart pieces that I missed:
the chicken dodging game, the baseball game, and the dash game. Maybe there's another one in the timed rupee hunts?
I also got about 75 maiamais. I did use a walkthrough once to find the
Hylian shield
, only because I wanted to confirm that there was one big chest in each dungeon.

Mini game heart pieces you might be missing:
Both Rupee Rush games give you a heart piece. One in Hyrule, one in Lorule. Treacherous Tower (intermediate level) also gives you a heart piece and beating the advanced level also gives you a new item upgrade (and again on the second time you beat advanced)

Red Mail:
General location:
It's in Lorule Castle
[Specific location incl. how to get there]:
in the middle-floor with the two torches. Take out the torches to reveal the secret path to the south wall with the chest.

Strongly disagree.

You still got a lot of items in the dungeons, it's just no longer those you need for the puzzles (for the most part). Doing it this way makes the open structure work. Do you go for sword upgrades? Do you want to take less damage sooner? Do you want to be able to explore all parts of the world first? Putting items in the dungeons just means the order you do them in becomes trivial and has no bearing on anything.

I disagree. Having the items in dungeons can also be used to achieve an open structure. You can separate the dungeons into main story dungeon and item dungeon.

D-e-f-

Banned
I disagree. Having the items in dungeons can also be used to achieve an open structure. You can separate the dungeons into main story dungeon and item dungeon.

Please elaborate.

How does that not force me down a "I must complete this item dungeon in order to access this story dungeon" path?

KLonso

This game is looking to be the first Zelda game I beat, (and I've played plenty). I'm pretty bad at Zelda, so maybe this game is just easier. i have 3 Lorule dungeons left, and there hasn't been a single boss battle yet where I wasn't able to figure out what I had to do to beat it as soon as I saw it. Although I will admit that the water dungeon did confuse me a bit.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Quick question. I havent played Link to the Past since fall 2007, should I do a quick playthrough of that before I start this, or go straight for the Link between Worlds.

Please elaborate.

How does that not force me down a "I must complete this item dungeon in order to access this story dungeon" path?

Let's assume that dungeon A item is required for dungeon 1, B for 2, and so on. If you want to do dungeon 3 first, then retrieve item in dungeon C. If you want to do dungeon 8 next, retrieve item in dungeon H.

Let's assume that you can access any dungeon, be it item dungeon or story dungeon. The fun part is discovering an item and looking for where to use said item. Or getting stuck in a dungeon because you don't have the required item which encourages you to explore the overworld looking for that item.

These are just my quick examples by the way.

Seik

Banned
Soooo I reached Lorule, started a Dungeon, got back to Hyrule and got the boots.

Maaaaan, I love this game so far. There's some kind of freedom to it that I'm digging, or maybe I just played too much Skyward Sword.

Both world's themes are so good too, damn.

I don't think the rental system was really necessary to achieve their non-linearity goals in the end. You very rarely need a "dungeon item" to advance through the overworld, so whether or not the items are actually found in dungeons winds up making little difference.

For example, you could just as well have found the Hammer in the Tower of Hera, since outside of that dungeon (and a few side areas in the surrounding region) it's basically the only place you ever actually need to use it to advance.

Even when these "dungeon items" are useful for getting around (like the Hookshot), as long as there's nothing stopping you from visiting the dungeon where the Hookshot is found, it really doesn't matter whether it's actually in a dungeon or not.

llamarawk

To those complaining about the rental system being too lax cause you never died, I think you will enjoy it more in hero mode. Easy to get 1 or 2 shot out there in hero mode.

cluderi

Finished normal mode with everything but one heart container, utterly superb game and a true successor to LTTP. I'm swapping over to Bravely Default but I'll be giving hero mode a crack for sure.

Ice ruins was easily my favorite dungeon.

The renting system's main flaw is its low price. When you die, the intended penalty is to have to waste rupees again, but you're so rich that the real penalty is actually having to go through the text of renting everything again 1 by 1.

The main advantage of having access to all the puzzle-related items is that 100% of the dungeons can focus on using mechanics requiring those items. With the usual Zelda formula, you spend half the time in a dungeon reaching the puzzle-related item and then only the other 50% of the dungeon actually uses mechanics requiring that new item you got.

Quick question. I havent played Link to the Past since fall 2007, should I do a quick playthrough of that before I start this, or go straight for the Link between Worlds.

Jump straight in to ALBW. The overworld is pretty much exactly the same, which is great for nostalgic purposes, but might get a bit tiring if you're playing them back to back.

Socreges

Banned
I agree that it's too easy. Hero mode, or something in between, should have been an option from the beginning.

My only complaint so far.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
love this game. it would be my game of the year, but Mario 3D World swooped in and stole that title.
It doesn't quite crack my top five Zeldas though: Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Wind Waker HD, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (next would be Link Between Worlds and Link's Awakening)

y2dvd

Just finished the game. Collected all but 1 1/4 heart containers. I hate when that happens lol. Fantastic game that I didn't want to end. Fast, smooth, and responsive. The biggest fault, and this is with most Zelda games, was that it was too easy. Never came close to dying except maybe in one or two occasions. I just rushed every boss battle. Boss battle should be more strategic and not simply find the puzzle of beating them, and the rest in cinch. I will tackle Hero's Mode after playing a few other games.

Funny that this game brought me back into gaming. I actually swelled up a little
when Hilda saw the triforce at the end
lol. Not sure how long it took me to beat it but it felt relatively fast.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Does anybody have any anecdotes of young relatives playing this game? Yeah it's not like going through Dark Souls difficulty-wise, but I was able to beat Link to the Past at age 7 or 8 with some small level of difficulty and I breezed through it with no problem a few years ago (not remembering dungeons either). For all we know it's just right for certain demographics.

Either way, I enjoyed these dungeons quite a lot even though I wasn't banging my head against the wall trying to solve puzzles or trying fifteen times to beat bosses.

Also, the exploration in this game blows away that of every other Zelda game. Finding a chest of rupees actually means something, plus the search for the mai mais makes you go through every nook and cranny of the map (not to mention the heart pieces).

Overall this is easily the best Zelda since Link to the Past, and I sincerely hope they use this as a template for future games. The only thing I would change would be to take away the item rental/purchase structure and instead make almost all items hidden in the overworld. Make them all like the power glove and the pegasus boots, and like the ice rod in LttP.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished the game. Collected all but 1 1/4 heart containers. I hate when that happens lol. Fantastic game that I didn't want to end. Fast, smooth, and responsive. The biggest fault, and this is with most Zelda games, was that it was too easy. Never came close to dying except maybe in one or two occasions. I just rushed every boss battle. Boss battle should be more strategic and not simply find the puzzle of beating them, and the rest in cinch. I will tackle Hero's Mode after playing a few other games.

Funny that this game brought me back into gaming. I actually swelled up a little
when Hilda saw the triforce at the end
lol. Not sure how long it took me to beat it but it felt relatively fast.

You can check the 3DS activity log to get a rough idea of how long it took you.

Halfway done with the streetpass challenges, but everyone I run into has a bee badge so I can't get that pesky golden bee final blow achievement :/ Anyone know what arenas you could potentially use Rovio's bracelet?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've got two dungeons to go and just now realized that every dungeon has
some secret treasure
, haha. I have the
final upgrade for the Master Sword
now, as well as the
blue armor
. And with that stuff I beat the Treacherous Tower with ease, and laughed hard when I saw the prize. Why not, I guess.

Anyways, I effing love this game. Best Zelda since Link's Awakening.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Halfway done with the streetpass challenges, but everyone I run into has a bee badge so I can't get that pesky golden bee final blow achievement :/ Anyone know what arenas you could potentially use Rovio's bracelet?
Fire and Sand arenas so you can use the rods and then the bracelet.

Top Bottom