• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

EliCash

Finished it this morning, loved every minute of it. Great stuff, getting the Triforce 3DSXL with this is the best decision I've made in a long time.

And now I'm in the mood for more Zelda. This and OoT are the only two I've finished. What DS Zelda is the best? But really I think it's time to play Majora's Mask finally. Going to try and borrow a friend's N64 copy. I have GC Wind Waker with OoT Master Quest kicking around somewhere too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Finished it this morning, loved every minute of it. Great stuff, getting the Triforce 3DSXL with this is the best decision I've made in a long time.

And now I'm in the mood for more Zelda. This and OoT are the only two I've finished. What DS Zelda is the best? But really I think it's time to play Majora's Mask finally. Going to try and borrow a friend's N64 copy. I have GC Wind Waker with OoT Master Quest kicking around somewhere too.

Do you have a Wii or Wii U?

D-e-f-

Banned
The only thing about the ending I thought was a missed opportunity:

When Zelda asked Link to touch the Tri Force to make a wish, they should have displayed the Tri Force on the bottom touch screen and let you touch the Tri Force of Courage, but instead we got a silly press A to touch. :(

We also need a Ravio game, I agree.

It's called Triforce. Not Tri Force.
Sorry

Get Ocarina of Time 3D. It has Master Quest also on there. Best version you could be playing.

Anteo

I can see it now:

As Ravio, you must set up your rental shop in hopes of attracting THE hero amidst a sea of wanna-be heroes to save the kingdom. However, you must ALSO make a tidy profit if you want to retire comfortably once the evil is gone. Hence, tactful lending of gear to weak heroes will net you more rupees when they inevitably bite the dust. However, you have to balance that out by making the more promising ones regulars by giving them discounts.

So... Recetear?

EliCash

Do you have a Wii or Wii U?

No but I'm going to borrow a friend's Wii this week. So I'll have access to every Zelda pretty much. Including GC Twilight Princess. Too much choice!

Get Ocarina of Time 3D. It has Master Quest also on there. Best version you could be playing.

Yea I definitely will, but the damn thing refuses to lower in price. And I already have 2 versions of it. But when I can afford it I'll get it, will be my next OoT playthrough for sure.

Blues1990

I would recommend getting a copy of Spirit Tracks. If you are willing to turn the clock back, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages were all great games for the Game Boy Colour, and are available on the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

Macheezmo

Just finished this game. 100% completion in 17:53. This is easily my 2nd favorite Zelda game right behind Link to the Past. I thought getting most of the items right away would bother me, but I didn't really mind it at all, though some items did seem pretty much useless (Bow). I will try hero mode next.

What a fantastic ending. That really surprised me in a good way. One of the best Zelda endings in my opinion. I could ntipick some things about it, but the general feeling was excellent.
And the music from the time you get all the sages till the ending is absolutely fantastic. Lorule's castle is one of my favourite theme dungeons right now, and I thought this Zelda had some of the best dungeon music (the lorule part of course).

And I completed the game 100%. The pin things on the map was the best idea ever and I relly hope they continue using it.

Haha, Hero's Mode is hilarious. I got to Lorule, and I was thinking I didn't need the Blue Mail right away. Decided to do Thieves Hideout first as usual, completed it by the skin of my teeth and decided that the Swamp Palace, not the Desert Palace, would be my next destination.

Those red cyclops guys did eight hearts a hit. lol

Do the Fire Breathing Lion fellas on Death Mountain take 16 hearts in Hero mode? Because they took four before.

I noticed the little electric blob fellas don't have the short vulnerable period either. Are there other changes?

Such a good game. In terms of gameplay, this might be the most fun I've ever had with a Zelda game (Skyward Sword is close in that respect, I actually loved the controls unlike many others). As it stands, it's right behind Majora's Mask and OoT on my all time Zelda list. I was not expecting the dungeons to be so well designed. They provided a great balance of challenge and fun, especially if you're trying to 100% clear every temple. The story was sparse, but what was there was strong. Lots of great little moments sprinkled in that reminded me of Zelda as I used to love it.
Meeting the homeless bird lover under the bridge, for example. A beautiful moment that you could stumble upon or miss entirely.

It doesn't quite match the narrative peaks and sense of adventure that the 64 classics had, but that's not really what you expect from a top down Zelda. Top 3 games of the year.

Can someone comment on the importance of the 3D for this title ?

I've been thinking about getting it, but I'm inclined for a 2ds. But if it is like Mario 3D Land I wouldn't like to miss on the 3D.

When I first started, although I love it, I couldn't get into because of all the gooey nostalgia.

Finally had time to play it, and as I kept playing I saw myself getting addicted all over again!

Great game.

KarmaCow

I've been thinking about getting it, but I'm inclined for a 2ds. But if it is like Mario 3D Land I wouldn't like to miss on the 3D.

They definitely designed areas to make the 3D look good but I played the entire game in 2D without any trouble. To be fair, I did the same with 3D Land (other than those three optical illusion rooms) so it might be different to you.

D-e-f-

Banned

This is a game that you'll want to play with the 3D on full blast 100% of the time.

Do the Fire Breathing Lion fellas on Death Mountain take 16 hearts in Hero mode? Because they took four before.
Probably. I got hit by them once when I had significantly less hearts than that and died right there (had a fairy). I would imagine so, I don't think there are any actual mechanical changes to the mode outside of damage multiplication.

I love how openly brutal the mode is.

pringles

For me it's easily the best use of 3D so far, not only looks great but really adds to the sense of height and level differences that much of the game seems designed around. I'm sure it's perfectly playable in 2D but it's only 3DS game that I never play without 3D on.

Just beat it and started it up on Hero mode. It was good, but I feel like Hero mode is gonna be my ideal playthrough of the game. I liked the game, but combat being too easy made the game feel too easy. Now that I really have to focus on searching for every heart piece, making sure I get the mail upgrades asap, and overall playing strategically, I think I'm gonna enjoy this much more. I already started it up and I love the tension of getting hit by ONE enemy and feeling panicked. Beat two dungeons already and it really feels like Zelda 1 in the sense that the world is truly out to get me. Once I start Dark World though I know I'll be in for a world of pain, and I'm pretty damn excited.

Bullshit. Play through the Ice Dungeon as first dungeon in Lorule and then Thieves Hideout immediately after and then tell me they had the same difficulty with a straight face.

The dungeons do have a varying difficulty.

I actually did this and was a bit disappointed when it seemed as though the game was progressively getting easier and easier! I'm pretty sure I did the dungeons in the opposite order they were meant to be completed.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

I've owned a 3DS since Day 1 and this was the first game that I didn't turn 3D off after 5 minutes. I really loved playing it in 3D and played the entire game that way on my brand new Zelda 3DS XL.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So, finally finished! Amazing game!!

tumblr_mxic7x0AkG1sv6g38o1_1280.jpg

:bow :bow

17:28 hrs , 18 hearts, Red Tunic and fully upgraded Master Sword, no Hylian Shield though :/

As most people have been saying the game is a bit easy, never got really stuck or had to use a guide or fortune teller. I went into the dungeon with the blue tunic first randomly so that may have impacted it.

Hero mode should be fun, and I have yet to do the tower and most minigames! Yeay! This may be my goty, depending on how the rest of SM3DW, Bravely Deafult and Tearaway plays out.

Amazing stuff, Nintendo! :bow

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Probably. I got hit by them once when I had significantly less hearts than that and died right there (had a fairy). I would imagine so, I don't think there are any actual mechanical changes to the mode outside of damage multiplication.

I love how openly brutal the mode is.
Those things totally scared me in Hero Tower thing; luckily there's an easy way to get rid of them.

D-e-f-

Banned
Btw, can we all agree that the Tornado Rod is the most overpowered Zelda item ever? :D It's like a magical cure for anything!

Btw, can we all agree that the Tornado Rod is the most overpowered Zelda item ever? :D It's like a magical cure for anything!

Its like a boomerang that hits in every direction even flying creatures. Boomerang is my least use object in the game, even upgraded, its zero useful apart from a minidungeon that requires it.

watershed

Banned
I played with it but I didn't like as I felt it was limited and I wanted to make notes on on the map like in the DS Zelda games.

Yeah they should have kept notes in the game. It would have been easy, Just another tab on the left side of the touch screen that brought up a notes section or an overlay on the map. There were many times when I wanted to make a note about an area I should return to later or to mark what a cave contained.

Who else used pins on a regular basis? Made exploring and back tracking much, much more efficient for me.

fuck me, this avatar. Gonna be an awful week
I used them a ton. There is do much to explore. If I couldn't figure it out if move on and of another run through it next time I was in the area.

Beat it last night and really enjoyed it. It was everything I want in a Zelda game, which is usually just to be ALttP. Was happy that they didn't cruise solely on nostalgia and changed things a little to separate itself as much as it could.

Here's hoping the Wii U Zelda incorporates the rental system, I liked that.

Robertto

Neo Member
Just finished it yesterday, what an awesome game, what a great ending!

In my opinion easily the best the zelda since OoT, and probably the best all round zelda game to recommend.

Anteo

where do you get the glove upgrades?

Desert Palace

Its like a boomerang that hits in every direction even flying creatures. Boomerang is my least use object in the game, even upgraded, its zero useful apart from a minidungeon that requires it.

I hate that item actually, I only found it useful in the tower where you get surrounded pretty quickly. The boomerang on the other hand is goldlike for Hero mode. First it allows you to move around while it is flying unlike the hookshoot and the Rod and the biggest problem with the rod is that enemies/projectiles that where outside of the aoe can get to you while you land, which is the worst thing for hero mode.

Whoa what? Where is this minidungeon??? One more thing left to do it seems.

Its one where you have to hit 2 or 3 lights specifically with the boomerang, I even think one of the thieves there tells you to use it (becuase its never used like that again in the whole game). I still think the prize (100 shitty rupees) of this minidungeons is shit though, as there are some tricky ones, would have been better if the prize would always be a piece of heart.

The boomerang can be amazing in hero mode for all I care, but is a horrible designed item in the whole game as there is no use for it other than that dungeon. Reminds me of the hammer of Wind Waker.

Anteo

Well I'm done with the game, got all the hearts, all the mamais and got the upgrades at the tower. This one goes to my top 3 zelda games.

Salsa

finished AA5 and finally back on this

man, this game MOVES, like, in every way. both pace and gameplay speed wise. makes it really hard to stop

SegaShack

Can you even hurt the final boss without sword upgrades?

I just beat the game today, no sword upgrades but I did get
armor upgrades
. Also,
I don't think the sword upgrades even matter for the last form, that is more based off 3 cycles instead of a certain number of hits.

Can anyone tell me all the differences between normal and hero mode? I think the game got a bit easy when I found the
blue armor.
, and I got the
red armor thinking it was a chest with a big key in it

vall03

I just accidentally killed a Golden Bee, any problems with that? Is there an item or power-up for it, or is it just rupees?

Anteo

I just beat the game today, no sword upgrades but I did get
armor upgrades
. Also,
I don't think the sword upgrades even matter for the last form, that is more based off 3 cycles instead of a certain number of hits.

Can anyone tell me all the differences between normal and hero mode? I think the game got a bit easy when I found the
blue armor.
, and I got the
red armor thinking it was a chest with a big key in it

Pretty sure that besides non-gameplay stuff (like diary on Ravio's house and extra song in the bar) the only difference is x4 damage from all enemies.

I just accidentally killed a Golden Bee, any problems with that? Is there an item or power-up for it, or is it just rupees?

You get the bee medal, it makes all the bees to be your allies instead.

Lazyslob

Banned
Just got to the other world. The music bringing back memories :'(. And was so bad ass when I got the master sword and shot the... power out. Love this game. Also, I dont get how some people were saying this game is ugly. I think it looks fantasic.

SegaShack

Just got to the other world. The music bringing back memories :'(. And was so bad ass when I got the master sword and shot the... power out. Love this game. Also, I dont get how some people were saying this game is ugly. I think it looks fantasic.

Very slight spoiler here, but if you liked the
music change, you'll love what happens what happens to the Dark World theme at a later point in the game

Top Bottom