• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

I want my 300th post to be in a Zelda thread. I think its time I finally sit down and finish link to the past so I can play this game. I have been waiting to long to play what will potentially be my GoTY.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
He's very smarmy. He'll try to be as nice as possible buttering you up calling you a hero while trying to convince you to rent and buy all of his stuff. Hes got that door to door salesman vibe. When you do buy all of his stuff, he's pretty amusing with how happy he feels he's suckered you, with him just laying about talking about life at the house. When you go to touch his bag of rupees he has an amusing line about how something more important than life is in there. He works well when the game goes into his story.
Yeah... I don't like any of those qualities, lol. I've never been a fan of used car salesmen type characters. The twist with his character at the end of the game would have felt more satisfying if 1.) I liked his character beforehand, and 2.) it didn't feel random and pointless. But oh well, plot in Zelda games doesn't matter to me all that much.

Spierek

OK I've died 3 times on the 50th floor of the challenge tower. Is the reward worth it?

The first time you finish it, you get the
Super Lamp (just a normal lamp, except that its attack is eight times stronger)
After you beat the tower the second time, you get a Super Net.

So basically the reward isn't anything very useful; you can safely skip doing that unless you want to 100% the game.

D-e-f-

Banned
I only have the Fire Rod left to buy at Rovio's.

Why did people like Rovio?

Rovio said:
thumb-3-rovio-with-biiwie2.jpg

vs

Ravio said:

leroidys

One of the things that I love most about this game is that it brought the verticality and interconnected of dungeon rooms back. Going across the mostly flat, self contained rooms in SS, ST, PH, and MC felt really dull and lifeless. I much prefer solving an entire dungeon vs. solving each of a collection of rooms.

I wish Ravio had a
real name, something as symbolic as Link. Zelda and Hilda sort of rhyme, it'd be nice if there was something that rhymed or had a similar symbolic tone as Link.

georly

I wish Ravio had a
real name, something as symbolic as Link. Zelda and Hilda sort of rhyme, it'd be nice if there was something that rhymed or had a similar symbolic tone as Link.

But... you enter your own name, so making a play on the word 'Link' wouldnt make sense if your name was 'Butts' or something. Ravio is fine.

Socreges

Banned
It's an upgrade to one of the two useless items you have. (You need to beat it twice)
Upgrade for the lamp and the net
The lamp is actually pretty useful..... in the Treacherous Tower.
What a waste. Was thinking it might have a tunic or something. Still haven't found anything besides the Green, but I do have three dungeons left.

I finished the game today. It was fun and enjoyable, but I don't feel it deserves a 10. I guess games are rated differently on a handheld, so that might be part of it. It's probably the best handheld zelda game to date, and a fun one, but that alone I didn't think was a reason to slap a 10 on it. I'd probably give it a low 9, but there were several things that I didn't exactly like.

The rental system was a new and interesting twist, which was okay early on. It was fun having an arsenal of tools to start off the game, but having to go back and re-rent stuff if you died was tedious. Instead, I would make sure to save as often as possible and not continue if I died. Which is basically cheating the system. Also, I really did miss the joy of finding new weapons in dungeons and knowing there'd be a heavy emphasis on using them. Instead, dungeons held your hand by telling you what item you'd need before entering. Or certain rooms would have the item icon right in front of the door to the room.

Something else - I was a little peeved at the way the game progressed, too. There was not a lot of direction on what to do or where to go. Certain things like the item rental system I only stumbled upon out of luck. I'm sure the idea is that if you die, you'll eventually end up
back at your house (enters Ravio), but at the beginning of the game there isn't a lot of risk of dying.
There really isn't a whole lot of direction as far as the story is concerned, either. Here's a big map and a bunch of dungeons. Now start wandering. I suppose there is the fortune teller to help you along, assuming you've found him. But, that just feels like cheating. I'd rather have a story that keeps me somewhat on track on where I'm going.

Half the items outside of the rental system require exploration, which is cool, but a lot of items could easily be missed, leaving a person to blindly wander around a pretty good sized map in frustration. A simple mechanic like throwing bombs I didn't even pick up on until I had finished almost every dungeon. I didn't get the
pegasus boots
until close to the end of the game. In fact, I could have beaten the game much sooner, but I went back and spent several hours finding all of the
Maiamais
on the map. I didn't discover the
mother maiamai
until i was almost at the end of the game. Stuff like that was grating.

I thought the final boss was a bit tough
. After beating the game I went back and realized that there are
two tunics to help reduce damage taken
, which I never got. Figures lol. I was able to find most everything on my own, without the use of online walkthroughs (including all
4 bottles
) but I gave up and went onto IGN's little guide to figure out what I needed to do to get
the pegasus boots
. Didn't discover the
existence of the tunics
until after the game was finished :p

So, all in all, Link Between Worlds is a good, new installment to the Zelda series. Cool throwback to the SNES Link to the Past. I had fun playing through LBW, but several little things I felt detracted from making it top notch. Still waiting for something akin to the OoT 3ds remake.

One question, that is annoying me more than anything right now:
what the heck was in Ravio's bag? The one where he'd snap at you if you went close to it and he'd say, "it's more important than anything bla bla bla?" I kept waiting for a reveal during the final scene, but maybe I missed it.
Sorry for all the spoiler tags. Better safe than sorry.

what the heck was in Ravio's bag? The one where he'd snap at you if you went close to it and he'd say, "it's more important than anything bla bla bla?" I kept waiting for a reveal during the final scene, but maybe I missed it.

I thought the drawing of a green rupee on the front should be hint enough?

Also, guessing you never played Legend of Zelda 1? But, even in LttP, there were plenty of missables/optional gear, like the cane of byrna, magic cloak, the medallions, the bottles, etc.

catabarez

I finished the game today. It was fun and enjoyable, but I don't feel it deserves a 10. I guess games are rated differently on a handheld, so that might be part of it. It's probably the best handheld zelda game to date, and a fun one, but that alone I didn't think was a reason to slap a 10 on it. I'd probably give it a low 9, but there were several things that I didn't exactly like.

The rental system was a new and interesting twist, which was okay early on. It was fun having an arsenal of tools to start off the game, but having to go back and re-rent stuff if you died was tedious. Instead, I would make sure to save as often as possible and not continue if I died. Which is basically cheating the system. Also, I really did miss the joy of finding new weapons in dungeons and knowing there'd be a heavy emphasis on using them. Instead, dungeons held your hand by telling you what item you'd need before entering. Or certain rooms would have the item icon right in front of the door to the room.

Something else - I was a little peeved at the way the game progressed, too. There was not a lot of direction on what to do or where to go. Certain things like the item rental system I only stumbled upon out of luck. I'm sure the idea is that if you die, you'll eventually end up
back at your house (enters Ravio), but at the beginning of the game there isn't a lot of risk of dying.
There really isn't a whole lot of direction as far as the story is concerned, either. Here's a big map and a bunch of dungeons. Now start wandering. I suppose there is the fortune teller to help you along, assuming you've found him. But, that just feels like cheating. I'd rather have a story that keeps me somewhat on track on where I'm going.

Half the items outside of the rental system require exploration, which is cool, but a lot of items could easily be missed, leaving a person to blindly wander around a pretty good sized map in frustration. A simple mechanic like throwing bombs I didn't even pick up on until I had finished almost every dungeon. I didn't get the
pegasus boots
until close to the end of the game. In fact, I could have beaten the game much sooner, but I went back and spent several hours finding all of the
Maiamais
on the map. I didn't discover the
mother maiamai
until i was almost at the end of the game. Stuff like that was grating.

I thought the final boss was a bit tough
. After beating the game I went back and realized that there are
two tunics to help reduce damage taken
, which I never got. Figures lol. I was able to find most everything on my own, without the use of online walkthroughs (including all
4 bottles
) but I gave up and went onto IGN's little guide to figure out what I needed to do to get
the pegasus boots
. Didn't discover the
existence of the tunics
until after the game was finished :p

So, all in all, Link Between Worlds is a good, new installment to the Zelda series. Cool throwback to the SNES Link to the Past. I had fun playing through LBW, but several little things I felt detracted from making it top notch. Still waiting for something akin to the OoT 3ds remake.

About one of your spoilers:

There are five bottles

So I've been playing on hero mode recently and I gotta say, I'm enjoying it much more. I love the challenge and tensity of knowing how easy it is to die. Getting to know your environment, knowing where all the Great Fairies are, desperately searching for fairies and feeling the absolute NEED to have potions and items on you is something I feel like Zelda hasn't had since Zelda 1, I love it. Beating a boss and getting through a dungeon truly feels satisfying, finding secrets which boost health, defense, and offense finally feel like true rewards.

I can see it now:

As Ravio, you must set up your rental shop in hopes of attracting THE hero amidst a sea of wanna-be heroes to save the kingdom. However, you must ALSO make a tidy profit if you want to retire comfortably once the evil is gone. Hence, tactful lending of gear to weak heroes will net you more rupees when they inevitably bite the dust. However, you have to balance that out by making the more promising ones regulars by giving them discounts.

You should play Recettear.

Sure it's possible. You can also finish Super Metroid in less than an hour. Someone playing for the first time, finding everything and figuring everything out will not be done casually in 12 hours by the average player.

If you're used to 60 hour Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess and expect that as your benchmark for a handheld Zelda you should set your expectations straight.

you mean any% sub 2:20 or bust right
http://zeldaspeedruns.com/leaderboards/albw/any

:p

Tex117

Banned
I just finished up this game, and I must say, it is superb.

Smooth, tight, well designed.

That said, I think it is too easy. The dungeons are too short and not intense enough. Yeah, there is hero mode, but that should have been available at the onset for those wanting something more intense.

[...] Something else - I was a little peeved at the way the game progressed, too. There was not a lot of direction on what to do or where to go. [...] Here's a big map and a bunch of dungeons. Now start wandering. [...]

This is my biggest issue with the game, and the rental system is partly at fault. Throughout the game, I was missing the sense of direction. From pretty much the beginning, I had all the items rented, except for the
fire, ice and obviously the sand staff
. I never died either, so basically as soon as you were able to rent, I had all items at the ready, also making the whole system a tad superfluous.
Which meant that right from the beginning (as in, as soon as you were able to rent stuff), I was left wandering the world map without any real hurdles. The sense of freedom was nice at first, but pretty soon you've seen most there is to see, and all that's left then is working through one dungeon after the other. As soon as you finished one, you were right up to the next one.

Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed most of the dungeons, most of them were unique and interesting enough but overall I can't help but bemoan a certain lack of direction and urgency in the game.

Also, as far as Zeldas go, I actually found this installment to be one of the more "difficult" ones. Certain enemies could really take out quite a chunk of health with one hit if you weren't careful, so I don't quite understand all the voices complaining about the lack of difficulty. Maybe it had to do with the fact that my first dungeon was the
ice one
, as there were generally more difficult enemies around there than in some other places, but it certainly felt more challenging than other Zelda games I've played. Which isn't saying much admittedly, but a high difficulty isn't exactly something I'm expecting when I'm about to start a new Zelda.
A disclaimer though, I haven't played many "old school" 2D Zeldas, maybe those were more challenging.

I just finished up this game, and I must say, it is superb.

Smooth, tight, well designed.

That said, I think it is too easy. The dungeons are too short and not intense enough. Yeah, there is hero mode, but that should have been available at the onset for those wanting something more intense.

Definitely agree with this. I am loving hero mode right now but I probably would have enjoyed this game much more had it been available at the start.

soultron

Banned
Finally got all 50 StreetPass challenges.

Spoiler for finishing all 50:
the Grandpa who stands near the signs in Kakariko village will challenge you to a fight (any time you want, as many times as you want) when you go back and see him. He fights with a random set of the best gear+items and 20 hearts in the game with a reward of five rupees for beating him. Kind of cool!

Vibed

Ahh should've known that was the prize considering what the rumors guy said!

Speaking of him, I love how his rumors have small bits of relevance in one-off lines by random characters. For example,
Irene says how she loves going to the fortune teller, but Maple doesn't, likely because she was heartbroken by him!

Also, Irene's name should have been Syrup like in OoX and LttP GBA.

El Odio

Banned
Beat the game today and only managed to miss a single piece of heart along with dying twice. I was a little disappointed that (final boss spoilers)
the second phase of the fight was essentially a glorified version of deadman's volley
but all in all I had fun with it and plan on taking on hard mode some time soon. I managed to go through all the dungeons with master ore first by luck and will probably go for the blue mail on hero mode first.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

the Grandpa who stands near the signs in Kakariko village will challenge you to a fight (any time you want, as many times as you want) when you go back and see him. He fights with a random set of the best gear+items and 20 hearts in the game with a reward of five rupees for beating him. Kind of cool!
Woo, just got my 50th today too! Time to get 50 on Normal mode now!

This lends credence to the theory that Gramps is an old Link.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can't remember what it was now, but there were a few things that made me think ALBW might be a prequel to ALLTP. I wish I could remember what they were... Anyways, other signs point to it being a sequel, and that seems more likely.

catabarez

I can't remember what it was now, but there were a few things that made me think ALBW might be a prequel to ALLTP. I wish I could remember what they were... Anyways, other signs point to it being a sequel, and that seems more likely.

Because the little boy on the tree stump?

D-e-f-

Banned
Also, Irene's name should have been Syrup like in OoX and LttP GBA.

But Irene is Irene and not Syrup.

You mean aside from Aonuma saying since day one that this game takes place many years after ALTTP?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game on the weekend.

I really enjoyed it. I spent so many hours playing ALTTP when it came out that ALBW was a very nostalgic experience. Nonetheless,

The Good:

Freedom to explore;
Interesting incentives to explore and densely packed over world;
Fast paced gameplay (i.e dungeons do not drag out);
Game looks great in motion;
Amazing music - some nice subtle and not so subtle twists on iconic zelda music;
The game does not unnecessarily hold the players hand.

The Bad
I had only one problem with the game, in short, ALBW is too easy. Accordingly, a hero or hard mode should really be an option from the start for modern zelda games I did not die in my play through (although I did use fairies and potions).

D-e-f-

Banned
Finished the game on the weekend.

I really enjoyed it. I spent so many hours playing ALTTP when it came out that ALBW was a very nostalgic experience. Nonetheless,

The Good:

Freedom to explore;
Interesting incentives to explore and densely packed over world;
Fast paced gameplay (i.e dungeons do not drag out);
Game looks great in motion;
Amazing music - some nice subtle and not so subtle twists on iconic zelda music;
The game does not unnecessarily hold the players hand.

The Bad
I had only one problem with the game, in short, ALBW is too easy. Accordingly, a hero or hard mode should really be an option from the start for modern zelda games I did not die in my play through (although I did use fairies and potions).

If you used a fairy -> you died.

D-e-f-

Banned
Not according to the games death counter

Of course not. But it's disingenuous to say "it's too easy because I didn't die" and then add that you made use of fairies. It's like saying you never once died in BioShock because you used Vita Chambers.

Top Bottom