• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

K' Dash

I see, don't know if thats a big deal or not but hopefully, if it respawns again, its not in a place wheres it swarming a lot of enemies.

I bought it from a guy in the forest (he didn't tell me what I was buying), I kept it for a while until it ocurred to me the bee guy would want to see it, then I found one in Lorule randomly.

Finished it tonight. The final act really was spectacular. Loved it.

I still consider WW the better Zelda (for me) but ALBW really was a fun romp in Hyrule.

Need more portable Zelda in my life.

SegaShack

I hope Nintendo continues to make more Zelda games in the classic style and I hope they are always of the same quality if not better than Link Between Worlds. I think unlike the recent Zelda releases, ALBW has huge sales potential.

L00P

Finished this the other night. I got max hearts and probably all of the secrets first time through. Ravio's get-up...Man, why did I not see it?

I played a few minutes of hero mode...Looks like I'm gonna need fairies

Anyway, I think this game's music is great. Really love the variations of the overworld themes

Finished the game. Wish it hadn't ended, but the way it did was fantastic. Final play time was 25 hours.

Easily my favorite Zelda game. Makes Skyward Sword look like a joke. I think it's way better ALTTP also.

Now to go through Hero mode.

Forkball

Oh snap... (done with 7 Lorule dungeons)

Gold sword and Hylian shield. I was hoping I would get a better shield. Funny how they've turned the Hylian shield into the ultimate shield the past two games when you found it in a cemetary in OoT

entremet

They really changed the design of these assholes.
DeadrockFront_ALttP.png

Deadrok.gif

Their wings became horns?

Socreges

Banned
Died for a 2nd time, this time at Treacherous Tower Advanced. 48F, too. If only I'd had one more blue potion instead of a fairy...

Is it worth it? Yes/no? I have no idea what the prize is.

Anteo

Died for a 2nd time, this time at Treacherous Tower Advanced. 48F, too. If only I'd had one more blue potion instead of a fairy...

Is it worth it? Yes/no? I have no idea what the prize is.

It's an upgrade to one of the two useless items you have. (You need to beat it twice)
Upgrade for the lamp and the net

Sulik2

Beat it over the weekend. The Ganon fight was fun. Great ending too. Excellent Zelda game. I have no interest in finding the rest of the stuff I missed for some reason. And screw that baseball minigame, but easily the best Zelda since Majora's Mask. (Which was better the OoT.)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat it. So damn good! It joins Link to the Past and Link's Awakening as my favorite Zelda games.

Finished it over the weekend. I enjoyed it quite a lot. Probably the best handheld entry since Link's Awakening. My impressions from earlier in the thread didn't change much. I'm not super crazy on A Link to the Past, but this game addressed a lot of the issues I had with it. More characters, more stuff to do in the overworld, more puzzles and stronger dungeon-theming. The bosses were a bit lacklustre, but still an improvement over A Link to the Past's, while staying true to its boss-style.

The renting system is interesting, but I feel like I don't want to see the system return. Tying your item usage to a stamina meter was great though. Looking for arrows and bombs was never fun, and I not once bought any in shops. The ammo was an unnecessary nuisance, so the stamina-bar was a good way to get around that.

I predicted the "twists" at the end, but they were still enjoyable since I wanted them to happen. I also really loved the music, but I don't think that'll surprise anyone.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why did people like Rovio? I never found much to like about him, even in the end. And hellllll no at the idea of
a talking
Link.

JudgeN

I finished the game with 35k rupees earned and I feel like alot of what makes this game good was taken from ALTTP.

The new things they added were not so hot. Item renting was pointless due to the massive amount of rupees given. Doing dungeons in any order made them very 1 dimensional in terms of puzzles, relying on wall merge + the specific dungeon item. Overworld had alot of good mini games but actual exploring of it was disappointing due to no new items to be found and most of the rewards for exploring consisted of rupees and heart pieces. Item upgrades were all way to powerful and just made an already easy game even easier.

The game was fun and a nice spin on a old game but i'm still not sure on if this is the direction the series should take.

DaBoss

Well it is actually one-dimensional to think of only using the item required for the dungeon. You can use other items and speed through the dungeon.

JudgeN

Well it is actually one-dimensional to think of only using the item required for the dungeon. You can use other items and speed through the dungeon.

Example? Besides the dungeons already being rather small to begin with I don't remember an instance of using a different item to solve a puzzle in a dungeon.

Chitown B

I finished the game with 35k rupees earned and I feel like alot of what makes this game good was taken from ALTTP.

The new things they added were not so hot. Item renting was pointless due to the massive amount of rupees given. Doing dungeons in any order made them very 1 dimensional in terms of puzzles, relying on wall merge + the specific dungeon item. Overworld had alot of good mini games but actual exploring of it was disappointing due to no new items to be found and most of the rewards for exploring consisted of rupees and heart pieces. Item upgrades were all way to powerful and just made an already easy game even easier.

The game was fun and a nice spin on a old game but i'm still not sure on if this is the direction the series should take.

I'm not sure what you want. Item renting was not pointless when you didn't have 800 rupees laying around for a couple items at once. Plus it makes it so you don't know what you need, which adds depth. I MUCH rather have dungeons I can do any order instead of the hand holding "go here next" of recent Zeldas. I'm not sure what else you want than hearts and rupees? What else is there? You buy weapons with rupees. And that's all you need.

bart64

Banned
I loved baseball minigame for music and graphics. Could have been a little more easy though

I would have agreed that it was too difficult until I found my own trick, which made me think this minigame is more of a puzzle and less skill based (the perfect formula for a Zelda themed minigame).

In case someone is still struggling with it like I was, knowing that late hits go left and vice versa, and knowing about the bird after three hits is a good start. But the strategy that put me over the edge was to be more deliberate with the analog stick.

If you move the analog stick all the way up for a ground ball, you are pretty much guaranteed to hit something on the ground (the ball won't skip over it). If you move all the way down for a fly ball, you are guaranteed to hit the back row. Knowing this, as long as you can time the direction enough not to hit the exact same spot, you can alternate from ground to fly balls and usually have an easy third shot to secure that bird.

It's a surprisingly deep game and satisfying to finally beat.

Why did people like Rovio? I never found much to like about him, even in the end. And hellllll no at the idea of
a talking
Link.
He's very smarmy. He'll try to be as nice as possible buttering you up calling you a hero while trying to convince you to rent and buy all of his stuff. Hes got that door to door salesman vibe. When you do buy all of his stuff, he's pretty amusing with how happy he feels he's suckered you, with him just laying about talking about life at the house. When you go to touch his bag of rupees he has an amusing line about how something more important than life is in there. He works well when the game goes into his story.

DaBoss

Example? Besides the dungeons already being rather small to begin with I don't remember an instance of using a different item to solve a puzzle in a dungeon.
The time saved would be small most things. You can use bombs in the House of Gales on those switches. Pegasus boots to get places faster (under those cages in Skull Woods). Arrows in the Tower of Hera. Bombs in the Desert Palace instead of using that arrow dispenser. Then there are glitches with the with the Tornado Rod and end up clipping to places that are above that let you skip many puzzle sections. Then there are some bosses that can be beaten more quickly by using other items (House of Gales boss with the bombs, Thieves' Hideout boss with the hammer).

I'm just saying there are different ways to complete dungeons, but I do think they are small and wish they were larger. The puzzles in them were satisfying though.

Effect

Enjoying the game for the most part but not without issues. The problem I'm having is the the game isn't as open as claimed. There are blocks on where you can go and the lack of information on how to get around those is making the whole thing frustrating.

Either block off areas and make it clear what is needed to get pass it. Then put those options in a place that can be accessed. Or open everything and allow me to enter any dungeon I want and if I don't have the right items to finish it then that's on me to buy it, try to keep it. Don't frustratingly combine it the way they have.

I'm feeling like I'm wasting a TON of time with this game and I've never gotten that before with any other Zelda game or even open world game. When I do get to a dungeon they're so short that it doesn't make the experience satisfying. There is a lot I like about the game but at the same time I can't bring myself at all to go OMG over it.

Seik

Banned
After doing Dark Palace and now progressing through the Desert 'sumthin'. I can say with ease that the person that said that every dungeons feels like a 'first' dungeon was kinda wrong, imo.

There's tons of puzzle, tons of paths, it's amazing.

Though I can say that the game feels a bit easy, but not in a bad way at the same time. It can be hard by moments, but all in all, I think it feels just right. Boss fights are awesome so far too.

Pretty good LoZ so far, I'm loving every bits of it. Collecting rupees around Hy\Lorule while I'm riding on a bus or doing a quick travel somewhere feels good. I only have the Fire Rod left to buy at Rovio's.

Top Bottom