• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finished Mario on sunday, time to start Zelda this evening! What an awesome december Nintendo is giving us!

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Half way through hero mode now.
Thing that bugs me is the 3ds aspect ratio. Bats coming from the top or bottom of the screen become a real pain on moving platforms. I guess I could hold block the entire time.

Ridley327

Which is why I always bring a bottle of yellow potion JUST for floor 49 to tank those beasts.

Easiest way to kill them without any special potions is to use the Nice Fire Rod on them. Outside of the topmost one, the other ones will get pushed into the pit with how long the vortex lasts.

Man, you've been posting about those awhile too. Seems like that took forever.

3 weeks. I wish they offered faster shipping with tracking for places outside the UK. The posters didn't even reach my usual post office, I had to pick them up at a branch I had never used before. At least they got here before the 15th, which is when things tend to start getting "lost" in the system. Next Zelda purchase is a JP copy in a few weeks ;//

pringles

Just finished it! Such a masterpiece. I think it's the only Zelda that was fun from beginning to end, 100% of the time. Even the minigames and maiamaia collecting was fun. Definitely see myself playing through Hero Mode if not right away then pretty soon.

Got all heartpieces, all maiamaias, all items/upgrades. I'm pretty sure I have 100% other than streetpass challenges (don't get many passes around here) and the cuccoo dodging.

19:58 according to activity log, definitely didn't think it was a short game, perfect lenght for a handheld.
4 deaths, 30.302 rupees collected.

soultron

Banned
This lends credence to the theory that Gramps is an old Link.

Sure, that makes sense. However,
I don't think he could be the exact LTTP Link since some items used for the challenges would've have existed back then. The Tornado Rod, for example. Maybe he's one between? Also, it's kind of strange considering how he has a Master Sword as well, considering how there's only supposed to be 1. I think, at least.

Morfeo

I am just ten minutes into the game, but its making me want to play Link to the Past instead, which is not really a good sign imo. Can definitely feel that this game started out as a remake.

Draconian

I am just ten minutes into the game, but its making me want to play Link to the Past instead, which is not really a good sign imo. Can definitely feel that this game started out as a remake.

Again, there's no proof of this at all. I'm getting tired of people saying this with nothing to back it up, when Nintendo itself has denied this.

My hero mode replay I'm trying to make interesting. Only hearts I get are from heart containers. Not allowed to use bottles. No sword or tunic upgrades. And no deaths allowed. And I only allow myself to save once before each dungeon, meaning I have to straight shot it boss and all in one go, making it more tense. It's unfortunate that the tunics and sword upgrades are basically not needed since most dungeons are around the same challenge level. But that's really the only complaint I have with the game.

Morfeo

Again, there's no proof of this at all. I'm getting tired of people saying this with nothing to back it up, when Nintendo itself has denied this.

There is no proof, but considering how Miyamoto talked about wanting to remake Link to the Past on the 3DS before this game got announced, I dont think its to far-fetched to think that it is the case. Anyways, if it started out as a remake or not, it definitely ended up as a unique game, which is what matters and also why I am playing it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I feel quite dumb. How do I get to the eastern temple? Every route I try to take seems to not allow me to get to the entrance that is marked on the map.

Rhiwion

Banned
Hey guys!

Not sure if anybody here already attempted this, but I'll be playing through Dark Sou...eh, A Link Between Worlds with some harder rules.

- 3 Hearts
- Hero Mode
- No Death run
- Rent-only
- Green Tunic
- Lv. 1 Master Sword
- No fairies (Not sure on that one, though)

Seems like the hardest possible way to play ALBW. Would love to stream/record this, but I lack the hardware and the internet connection for this. For you streamers/LPers, here you have something. :)

Wish me luck, guys!

DaBoss

Seems like the hardest possible way to play ALBW. Would love to stream/record this, but I lack the hardware and the internet connection for this. For you streamers/LPers, here you have something. :)

Wish me luck, guys!
You can't use a Sword, you must use the Net.

Anteo

Hey guys!

Not sure if anybody here already attempted this, but I'll be playing through Dark Sou...eh, A Link Between Worlds with some harder rules.

- 3 Hearts
- Hero Mode
- No Death run
- Rent-only
- Green Tunic
- Lv. 1 Master Sword

Wish me luck, guys!

- No boomerang
- Final Destination

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I finally finished the game and I have to say while I enjoyed the game, the item shouldn't have been rental and at time it felt like I was playing a remake of Link to the Past rather than a sequel.

But what I hated the most was the game telling me to take a break, so annoying.

Oh can someone tell me what the Marjora's Mask tease was, don't really fancy doing Hero mode.

emb

Hey guys!

- 3 Hearts
- Hero Mode
- No Death run
- Rent-only
- Green Tunic
- Lv. 1 Master Sword

Wish me luck, guys!
That's pretty crazy. Good luck!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
- No boomerang
- Final Destination

Speaking of the boomerang. I really wish they wouldn't included it into more areas.
The only place I recall it being required was in that one treasure room.

Edit: added spoiler tag

Maximus.

Just beat the game. Overall, it was probably one of my favorite Zelda games and a real return to form for the handheld games. Really did not like the DS games. The item system was interesting, but yet again, they didnt utilize the weapons evenly throughout the game. It wouldve been cool if you had to use multiple weapons in dungeons, rather than the usual formula. The boomerang was also completely useless haha. The final battle was fun and had some nice nods to previous boss battles. Probably my favorite game on the 3DS!

edit: 0 deaths(seriously :), 12,000 rupees)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just beat the game. Overall, it was probably one of my favorite Zelda games and a real return to form for the handheld games. Really did not like the DS games. The item system was interesting, but yet again, they didnt utilize the weapons evenly throughout the game. It wouldve been cool if you had to use multiple weapons in dungeons, rather than the usual formula. The boomerang was also completely useless haha. The final battle was fun and had some nice nods to previous boss battles. Probably my favorite game on the 3DS!

Upgrade your boomerang. It's not required, but it melts StreePass Links.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Of course not. But it's disingenuous to say "it's too easy because I didn't die" and then add that you made use of fairies. It's like saying you never once died in BioShock because you used Vita Chambers.

Yes I was being so disingenuous that I made what, I thought to be, a sensible concession that while I thought the game was too easy and my death count was zero I did use fairies and potions.

Given that I made such a concession I can hardly see how I can be said to be 'disingenuous'. I thought, as was my intention, I was being transparent.

This issue also detracts from the main point - the game is pretty easy combat wise. In my view, more experienced players should have a choice to make the combat harder from the start. Happy for people to disagree with this substantive point but it's just my experience with the game.

Having just finished the game, I can honestly say that I don't like it very much.

ALBW should be called New Legend of Zelda because that's honestly what it feels like. First, there's the garish, plastic artstyle, which reflects NSMB's bland, inoffensive, mass-market aesthetic. Then there's the excessive streamlining of the game. Certainly, they've cut the fat, but they also cut pretty much everything that makes these games interesting.

Going through all of these super easy, simplistic, one item dungeons is so regressive that I can't even begin to fathom all of the incredibly high scores. I don't think you even need to ever use two items together in succession. There's no build up; there's no accumulating knowledge or technique to solve puzzles. It's just ten first dungeons in a row.

Honestly, ALBW feels like it was made for beginners, which is bizarre considering it's a direct sequel to LttP and leverages that nostalgia so much. Who is this for? Jaded old game reviewers whose brains have atrophied from years of reviewing linear shooters? Children who somehow gnawed their way through LttP on their parents' childhood SNES while they were teething? Elderly people who vaguely recall playing through LttP with their grandchildren, 20 years ago?

Vibed

But Irene is Irene and not Syrup.
Eh, she's just a stand in for Syrup. I'd rather have had a reoccurring character from the series than an identical character who only has a different name. It would've continued the Maple Syrup joke too! :p

Hey guys!

- 3 Hearts
- Hero Mode
- No Death run
- Rent-only
- Green Tunic
- Lv. 1 Master Sword

Wish me luck, guys!

Without fairies, this pretty much accounts to a no-damage run... so good luck! lol

D-e-f-

Banned
There is no proof, but considering how Miyamoto talked about wanting to remake Link to the Past on the 3DS before this game got announced, I dont think its to far-fetched to think that it is the case. Anyways, if it started out as a remake or not, it definitely ended up as a unique game, which is what matters and also why I am playing it.

If you'd only read the Iwata Asks where they discussed this in detail ...

Gsnap

Just finished the game. It was great. The story was fun. Probably has the most interesting dungeons in the series, mechanically speaking. And being able to do the dungeons in any order was just as fun as I thought it would be. Pick a spot and go for it.

Hero Mode sounds really daunting though. Not sure when I'll get around to that. But I can definitely see me replaying this game for years to come.

The rental system worked well for me since I didn't grind cash. But for Zelda U I hope they figure out a different way to do this, if they plan on having open dungeon order. Which why wouldn't they, really? I hope so.

Great game.

ASIS

Finally beat the game here are my stats:

Hearts: 20
Bottles: 5
Gear: 100% (gold master sword, hylian shield, both red and blue mail, Bee badge etc.)
Miamais: 100
Weapons: 100% upgraded (including lamp and net)
Rupees collected: 28800
Deaths: 5 (>_>)
Time: 18h45m

I checked online, doesn't look like I missed anything, so I guess that's a 100% run on first attempt! :D

Overall I loved the game much more than I thought I would, the level design, the music, the mini games, the music, hell even the story (AND MUSIC) were great. I don't know where the game sits on my top Zeldas, but it sure as hell kicked Link's awakening's and took its spot as the best handheld Zelda ever, easily.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed Irene was awesome.

Hell I felt bad when She was kidnapped and everytime I rang the bell, all I saw was her empty broom followed by the text "..."
I saw the broomstick before I realized what happened, and I thought she was just invisible or something.

Edit : And dang, it took me 23 hours to beat the game, and I didn't even 100% it, haha. Three of those hours were spent looking for the god damn Pegasus Boots, hah.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm running around on Death Mountain and the song bringing back more memorires :'(. Goddamn that song don't fuck around.
When I first heard it as a kid it felt so domineering and, I dunno, looming. I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Conezays

Just finished the game at 16:47 hours. Missing two hearts but grabbed the other stuff.

Great game! Not sure where I'd rank it, but I seemed to prefer it over Wind Waker HD which I recently played. I loved the streamlined (in a good way) vibe of the game. Tons of exploration and mostly non-linear, really can't complain about it.

Can't wait for Zelda U.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there really no way to cheat at that Fortune's Choice game in Lorule? I got the heart piece on my second try on my first playthrough, but now that I'm running through Hero Mode I just can't seem to get it. Probably tried about 20 times now.
Even asked that stupid hint ghost, not much help.

Edit: Ah, finally got it. Chance of 35%, my ass.

Morfeo

The game started development with the wall-merging mechanic, designing myriad "mini-dungeons" around this feature. Bringing back the setting from ALttP came later.

Ok nice. It sure doesnt feel that way, but guess I should trust Aonuma and the gang :)

Anyways, I understand what Kohler talked about when he said the game was "grindy" in a way. After unlocking all the items, I havent stepped foot inside a dungeon again, only running around exploring for rupees, heart pieces, bottles and octos and what not. Its really addicting as always lol :)

vall03

Finally finished the game. Really loved it and its been a while since I last played a Zelda game(excluding VC re-releases), and I skipped on Skyward Sword too. I don't know how I will rank the game within the series though.

As for the gameplay changes, I'd have to say that this is a step in the right direction for the series, but for some reason, it feels like its missing something. They already did a great job on the non-linear design, but I think they can still improve it further. The game is also on the easier side, while the game length is similar to all Zelda handheld games though. Haven't checked my playtime yet, but I'd say its around 15hrs or even less.

Top Bottom