• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Blues1990

I find trying to get the Blue Armour upgrade first is essential for completing Hero Mode. More often than not, it can be quite stressful when most of the creatures in Lorule can one-hit kill you (That is, if Link have less than 9 hearts.)

Moff

why collect no hearts but fairies? makes no sense to me.
if you want to do a no-hit run, do it. but no half measures.

Leezard

I think it would be more difficult, but perhaps still reasonable to have more hearts (i.e as many as you want), but not using anything in a bottle. Only withstanding 1 or 2 hits would be tougher than the 5 hits you get with faeries. Granted, I'm not hardcore enough to do such a run myself.

Jucksalbe

Banned
By the time it gets hard, you can withstand more than 1-2 hits if you have as many heart containers as you can (and don't run into the red goblins in Lorule). Plus that way you can restore health from the hearts you find.

Jucksalbe

Banned
whyyyy won't anybody tell me how/where!!

Bottles (from the top of my head):
- Bought from that merchant in Kakariko
- Found under the bridge in the east of Hyrule
- Found in the southeast in Hyrule, contains a letter that tells you to bring Premium Milk to a guy on Death Mountain. You get the bottle afterwards.
- Found in the Lorule version of your house, bomb the back of the house and enter from there.
- Received as a reward for throwing 3000 rupees into the fairy fountain in Lorule
And some additional text here, so you can't tell the number of bottles from the length of the spoiler alone.
Wouldn't want to spoil that, would I now?

Guerrilla

Ok, I'm very close to finally giving in and buying a 3DS, I didn't like phantom hourglass that much and then skipped Spirit Tracks, however I loved A Link to the Past back in the day and Twilight Princess was also awesome. So will a link between worlds click for me? Is it enough reason to buy a 3ds?

And a little more OT is it worth to buy the XL instead of the regular 3ds?

- One of the rewards from the Treacherous Tower on Death Mountain in Lorule.
And some additional text here, so you can't tell the number of bottles from the length of the spoiler alone.

That particular location is incorrect.

It's actually obtained
paying 3000 rupees to the Rupee Fairy next to the bomb flower store in Lorule.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ok, I'm very close to finally giving in and buying a 3DS, I didn't like phantom hourglass that much and then skipped Spirit Tracks, however I loved A Link to the Past back in the day and Twilight Princess was also awesome. So will a link between worlds click for me? Is it enough reason to buy a 3ds?

And a little more OT is it worth to buy the XL instead of the regular 3ds?

I didn't like Phantom Hourglass, hated Spirit Tracks, loved A Link to the Past, I absolutely love this game, I think you'll like this.
The XL seems like quite an improvement to me, but I only own the original one.

That particular location is incorrect.

It's actually obtained
paying 3000 rupees to the Rupee Fairy next to the bomb flower store in Lorule.

Thank you, fixed it.

Something that is seriously pissing me off with this non-linear dungeon stuff:

I get a Blue Tunic halving the damage like at Dungeon 8 - Swamp Palace for me.

WTF??? I could've used that MUCH EARLIER in the game!!!

Guerrilla

I didn't like Phantom Hourglass, hated Spirit Tracks, loved A Link to the Past, I absolutely love this game, I think you'll like this.
The XL seems like quite an improvement to me, but I only own the original one.
exactly what i needed to hear, off to ebay to der if i can get a good offer on the xl :) thanks!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

And people wanted Hero accessible from the beginning.

Struct09

Completed the game this morning. Right now I'm feeling that it's my favorite game of the year. So good, I'm going to finish off collecting things that I missed and then give Hero Mode a try.

I really hope this game is a sign of things to come for the series.

Gsnap

So can anybody think of a good way to allow for open-ended dungeon progression without the use of the rental system?

I don't hate the rental system. I like what it allows us to do, and how it leads to more mechanical diversity in dungeons, but it seems a little inelegant. I've been trying to think of a way, but I'm stuck. Just straight up giving the player all the items, no questions asked, doesn't seem right. Having less reliance on items in dungeons would work, but then the dungeons would be less interesting mechanically.

And even with LBW's rental system, you still have to go through the first 3 dungeons before the open-ended design is actually implemented. Keeping this in mind, perhaps you could use the first 3 dungeons as a way to remove the rental system, but still have items found in dungeons, while keeping the mechanical diversity. Perhaps before you enter the first dungeons, you're given a sword and shield and bow, much like LBW. The first dungeon consists of Arrow mechanics for the first half, but then halfway through you get the hammer and the second half of the dungeon and the boss are arrow and hammer related. Then the second dungeon you get the boomerang really early on and most of the dungeon is boomerang related. And then maybe in that dungeon you have a humanoid boss that uses the tornado rod against you. Once you defeat it you get that item as well. Then the third dungeon can do something along these lines to give you the final items. Then after that you have all the items and the open-ended design kicks in. And then hopefully in this imaginary game, because the game knows you have every item, items see fairly equal use and dungeons can exploit more than one at a time.

It's more elegant, I think, but it still leaves you with 3 dungeons you have to get through before the game opens up. I can't think of an elegant solution that allows the open-ended design to be present from the very beginning.

So can anybody think of a good way to allow for open-ended dungeon progression without the use of the rental system?

I don't hate the rental system. I like what it allows us to do, and how it leads to more mechanical diversity in dungeons, but it seems a little inelegant. I've been trying to think of a way, but I'm stuck. Just straight up giving the player all the items, no questions asked, doesn't seem right. Having less reliance on items in dungeons would work, but then the dungeons would be less interesting mechanically.

And even with LBW's rental system, you still have to go through the first 3 dungeons before the open-ended design is actually implemented. Keeping this in mind, perhaps you could use the first 3 dungeons as a way to remove the rental system, but still have items found in dungeons, while keeping the mechanical diversity. Perhaps before you enter the first dungeons, you're given a sword and shield and bow, much like LBW. The first dungeon consists of Arrow mechanics for the first half, but then halfway through you get the hammer and the second half of the dungeon and the boss are arrow and hammer related. Then the second dungeon you get the boomerang really early on and most of the dungeon is boomerang related. And then maybe in that dungeon you have a humanoid boss that uses the tornado rod against you. Once you defeat it you get that item as well. Then the third dungeon can do something along these lines to give you the final items. Then after that you have all the items and the open-ended design kicks in. And then hopefully in this imaginary game, because the game knows you have every item, items see fairly equal use and dungeons can exploit more than one at a time.

It's more elegant, I think, but it still leaves you with 3 dungeons you have to get through before the game opens up. I can't think of an elegant solution that allows the open-ended design to be present from the very beginning.

I've been thinking about this too. Instead of having so many dungeons open at one time, it can just be fixed with linear dungeons. 1st/2nd dungeon linear, 3/4/5/ non-linear, 6th dungeon linear, 7/8/9 non-linear, 10/11?? final dungeon. One of the biggest problems has been that too many dungeons have been available at one time.

Also, do we really need a rental system? There can be a mix of major items outside dungeons and inside dungeons. That way you can't enter some of the non-linear dungeons unless you have that item. This will force exploration inside of Hyrule/Other world for the player. Others, you can find major items inside of the dungeon like we have in ALBW (i.e. weapon upgrades). Just have it where you have to "earn" major items either through coming up with enough Rupees or through exploration in the overworld.

I don't hate the rental system. I like what it allows us to do, and how it leads to more mechanical diversity in dungeons, but it seems a little inelegant.
I really didn't notice any more variety in dungeons to be honest. You still had a specific dungeon for each weapon. And any variety inside a dungeon was quickly pointed out by the pillars with the intended weapon icons on them. So it wasn't really a significant change from previous games.

Also, having the freedom to do the dungeons in any order didn't seem to improve my enjoyment of the game. Instead, it made the exploration feel a tad more tedious. Like I had no real feeling for what to do next. I was just wandering around a big map. That's how my own experience was at least. Not that that is bad.

2 questions :
1 - is there a way to catch fairies in bottles ? I tried it the old way (assign a bottle to a button, in the previous TLOZ you'd use it to catch them) but to no avail.
2 - How do you beat the sand dungeon boss ? I think I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to beat it.
Thanks !

Anteo

2 questions :
1 - is there a way to catch fairies in bottles ? I tried it the old way (assign a bottle to a button, in the previous TLOZ you'd use it to catch them) but to no avail.
2 - How do you beat the sand dungeon boss ? I think I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to beat it.
Thanks !

1. You need to use a net, this is actually the old attp way to do it. The "just use the bottle" was introduced by oot.
2. Use the rod to form a bridge to its position, then just hit him with your sword. When you see he is charging an attack move around so he cant aim towards you. Punish the move with more hits from your sword.

Gsnap

I really didn't notice any more variety in dungeons to be honest. You still had a specific dungeon for each weapon. And any variety inside a dungeon was quickly pointed out by the pillars with the intended weapon icons on them. So it wasn't really a significant change from previous games.

I'm speaking only of mechanical diversity. In that, the items themselves seem to get more use than they did in previous Zeldas. And what you do with them seems to be more unique and interesting than many other Zeldas. The dungeons themselves may not be any more diverse
Water dungeon still uses the tired rising and lowering levels mechanic. Yawn.
In previous Zeldas, only the second half of the dungeon would use an item, because you spent the first half trying to find it. And even then, in a lot of cases it seemed like items were just fancy keys. In LBW items seem to get more use and have a more diverse set of uses. And they seem to lead to more interesting mechanics in the dungeons.

Using sand pillars to navigate a dungeon, pop enemies out of the ground, lift up statues, allow boulders to cross gaps, etc. Using the ice rod to keep a seesaw bridge from tilting or to quickly navigate a lava pit while enemies are trying to attack you. Using the hookshot to pull rafts across water, or to hookshot onto a wall so you can use the wall-walking mechanic. Using the wind rod to carry you across gaps or to reach moving platforms above you. Using the hammer to pound springs into the ground that will pop you up.

Certain items in LBW didn't get enough use, like the boomerang, but the items that did seemed to get more use and more varied use than previous Zelda games.

KHlover

Banned
2 questions :
Thanks !

1 - Use the net (took me a while to figure out, too. Never played ALttP)

2 - Create paths with the sand staff and attack it from them

D-e-f-

Banned
- Bought from that merchant in Kakariko
- Found under the bridge in the east of Hyrule
- Found in the southeast in Hyrule, contains a letter that tells you to bring Premium Milk to a guy on Death Mountain. You get the bottle afterwards.
- Found in the Lorule version of your house, bomb the back of the house and enter from there.
- Received as a reward for throwing 3000 rupees into the fairy fountain in Lorule

Goddamn. I don't think I've ever been there (underlined) for some odd reason lol

And people wanted Hero accessible from the beginning.

Exactly why I've been saying it was absolutely the right call to not have it available from the get go. Let everyone have a different experience and then learn in the first playthrough how to best go about things in Hero Mode.

Gsnap

How far did you make it so far? I'm playing Hero Mode myself right now (without constraints), but I can see how easy it is to accidentally get hit by a random enemy.

Stupid regular sword knights are messing me up. It's so easy to accidentally get hit by them because I'm stupid and forget to use my bow.

Socreges

Banned
The hell... two chests in the Ice Ruins that I can't figure out (I've already beaten the boss, so they're not mandatory). I really don't want to use a guide, but...

Is one of them the red tunic?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Figuring out the pattern becomes a bit more difficult when you know you can't take one.

Just look at the staff to get him for the first time or when you lose sight of him and follow how he moves on the wall after that. He shouldn't even be able to attack you much, if you're close to him when he comes out.

The hell... two chests in the Ice Ruins that I can't figure out (I've already beaten the boss, so they're not mandatory). I really don't want to use a guide, but...

Is one of them the red tunic?
No. Have you gotten anything special in there yet? Every Lorule dungeon has one special item in it. There is something in the Ice Ruins, but no, that is not it.

jmcoo7

Banned
Damn mine is under the Xmas tree, I'm tempted to sneak down unwrap it take out game card and wrap it again . It's damn hard :(.

Top Bottom