• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Kokonoe

Banned
Glad I can take screenshots now.

MQYpZ4V.jpg

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnaABwVgQ

afoni

Banned
Just look at the staff to get him for the first time or when you lose sight of him and follow how he moves on the wall after that. He shouldn't even be able to attack you much, if you're close to him when he comes out.

Even then, it's really fidgety when you know you're going to die in a single hit. I've done it though, so now I'm free to do the Lorule dungeons in whatever order I want.

gonna get dat blue tunic

The hell... two chests in the Ice Ruins that I can't figure out (I've already beaten the boss, so they're not mandatory). I really don't want to use a guide, but...

Is one of them the red tunic?

Is one of the chest in question in the very first room by the entrance to the dungeon?

Last q.

I'm missing one quarter heart piece. Is there one in the end game area or do I need to comb the overworld?

Edit:
There is no heart piece in the end game dungeon. Yes, you need to comb the overworld. Heart pieces are found in the overworld, IIRC.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
What else? ;)

Have fun with the boss in the woods. Just fought him, I just can't properly evade him, got hit over and over, but at least I made it through without a fairy (with 16 hearts, though).
Did you try using the wall to dodge? (All attacks)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Does that work? I thought I tried that when I played the game on normal difficulty and it didn't work, but maybe I remembered wrong. Didn't try it this time.
It should, when he starts up the multiple hits, just merge and wait; gotta watch your stamina to make sure you can make it all the way though the attack though.

afoni

Banned
What else? ;)

Have fun with the boss in the woods. Just fought him, I just can't properly evade him, got hit over and over, but at least I made it through without a fairy (with 16 hearts, though).

That boss is ridiculously easy and I'm not sure how you found it difficult.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Just started playing this and finished the first (very small) temple. It immediately clicked and Im having a great time. Two things

Link is FAST

The music..my god the music. What a marvelous ensemble of sounds. It could be the best Ost Ive heard all year...That Kakariko Village

The bow becomes so valuable; it actually saved me in my first Lorule boss.

Agreed, especially with the Maimai upgrade. For the first time in Zelda history (For me, at least) I really utilize the items in combat, they're so useful for difficult enemies in Hero Mode when you want to pick them off without being detected. Adds a small layer of strategy.

Gsnap

The music..my god the music. What a marvelous ensemble of sounds. It could be the best Ost Ive heard all year...That Kakariko Village

Seriously amazing OST. Great original tunes and remixes.

I'm surprised just how much I enjoy the music in this game. Not because Zelda games never have great music, but because they always have great music.

I shouldn't be surprised at how good a Zelda game's music is, but I am.

It's above and beyond what I expected.

Marjar

Banned
Ah, okay. That should make the boss a lot easier.

That's just not right. But certainly useful for speedrunning.

I just found the obligatory "It's a secret to everybody" message. Don't know how I missed that my first time through.

I can't wait to see speedruns of this game.

SegaShack

Should I just head to random dungeons and see what item I need to complete it? Does it really matter what order you do things?

Yes, find random dungeons and they will have the save box in front of them and any item you need for the dungeon, you will need to open it up in the first place. The fun of the game is exploring and doing dungeons however you want. There is one certain dungeon that I found more difficult than the rest and did early, but had a lot of fun with.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I have been making slow progress in this game, spending most of my time looking for octos and whatnot. Just made it to Lorule and took the thief dungeon there. I must say, the dungeons are a bit short for my taste, but I like how they give the dungeons some context, like how they also did it with the Yeti Mansion in Twilight Princess. Very interesting item-system, but the penalties for renting all of them early on is probably not severe enough. Also, its not really that hard to just buy it all, as I said, I have done one Lorule dungeon, and already have bought all the items except one, so i dont know what I will spend the rupees on for the rest of the game.

Anyways, good game for sure! Not sure where I would rank it, but definitely not among the top 5 (LttP, Ocarina, MM, Twilight, AoL)., but probably not that far behind that.

Socreges

Banned
Whoop, beat it with 100%. Just needed help with one instance and wish I'd just kept at it

Activity log isn't reliable, but I think it took me about 18 hours. I was very, very thorough. Stupidly thorough.

26,000 rupees
Died once
All items (pretty sure)

Complaints... the game was way too easy. I was maybe a bit overpowered, but still. And the dungeons, with the exception of a few, were too simple.

Otherwise definitely my favourite handheld Zelda. One of my favourites, period.

Morfeo

One thing that was a bit irritating, was that I entered a dungeon and did maybe one third of the stuff there - then only to find out that I needed one of the non-rental items to progress
the gloves or whatever it is that makes you lift heavy stones
. Guess I cant do it all completely out of order - unless that is actually an item you will find outside a dungeon as well.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't expect myself to want to start a Hero Mode run so soon after beating the game, but I started one up tonight and I'm having a blast. Only being able to take two hits really makes things more tense! After I beat Hero Mode I might try a run where I only pick up a few hearts, or skip the armor upgrades or something. Nothing too nuts, but more of a challenge.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The biggest challenge for me so far in Hero Mode was going through the cave in Death Mountain, almost died there even though I had three fairies.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finished my 99.99% Hero Mode run (as someone on Miiverse pointed out, I didn't do the Streetpass medals and didn't get the big cucco, so let's call those the remaining 0.01%).

5oZl2k9.jpg
6baWY70.jpg

I had to use some fairies, though. I think overall I probably used about 8-10 fairies. After playing it, I've got to say Hero Mode would probably not be very good to play first, maybe it was the better decision to lock it away. If you still have to explore the world, it can get pretty annoying when enemies take so many hearts with one hit. But playing it as a second round, it's great. Gives you some more challenge, makes you wary about random enemies and forces you to come up with some new strategies to get rid of enemies safely.
I wish the higher difficulty would change more than just to multiply the damage, though, maybe come up with some new attack patterns for bosses (like in Ys games).

And very soon the WiiU version of ALTTP will release, so I'll use that chance to play through that again and compare.

Edit: My time for the Treacherous Tower Advanced Course (in Hero Mode), if anyone wants to compare:

Mk0djBs.jpg

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
One thing that was a bit irritating, was that I entered a dungeon and did maybe one third of the stuff there - then only to find out that I needed one of the non-rental items to progress
. Guess I cant do it all completely out of order - unless that is actually an item you will find outside a dungeon as well.

except you can :p be a better gamer, brohan

Gsnap

What dungeon are you talking about exactly? If I recall correctly, the only dungeon that requires the use of
the titan mitts
is
the dungeon you get them in...

Koozek

Oh man... I finished the game with everything (except the Large Cucco of course - c'mon, that's just ridiculous :D) and I'm really sad that it's over. It's been a long time that I didn't want a game to end after 12h or so. Definitely Top 5 Zelda for me, which I'd never have expected a few months ago.

It's seriously the first time that I wish for DLC, haha. I'd LOVE to have extra dungeons where the level-designers go CRAZY puzzle-wise in the coming months. The dungeons still were too easy for a Zelda veteran like me^^
Why not implement it in a clever way in the story, like, having the "Uncharted Ruins" where you can unlock further dungeons with keys you can buy from Ravio.
It doesn't even sound that crazy in my head. Just want to play more of this fantastic game comfortably in my bed before sleep :)

Neiteio

A DLC mega-dungeon that incorporates every item in the game, features multiple mini-bosses before the main boss, and has dozens of chests to uncover would be AMAZING.

Morfeo

What dungeon are you talking about exactly? If I recall correctly, the only dungeon that requires the use of
the titan mitts
is
the dungeon you get them in...

Ok, I read this spoiler, and now feel really stupid :)

Gsnap

A DLC mega-dungeon that incorporates every item in the game, features multiple mini-bosses before the main boss, and has dozens of chests to uncover would be AMAZING.

I agree. My general judgement for whether or not a game should have dlc is that if the game is stand alone good, then I wouldn't mind having dlc. And this game is definitely stand alone good.

And knowing Nintendo, they'd give us like 5 dungeons for 2 dollars.

I say make it happen.

Neiteio

I agree. My general judgement for whether or not a game should have dlc is that if the game is stand alone good, then I wouldn't mind having dlc. And this game is definitely stand alone good.

And knowing Nintendo, they'd give us like 5 dungeons for 2 dollars.

I say make it happen.
Maybe five dungeons for $2 a piece, but not $2 for five dungeons altogether. Five dungeons would be half of ALBW's core offering, lol.

nasos_333

The renting system's main flaw is its low price. When you die, the intended penalty is to have to waste rupees again, but you're so rich that the real penalty is actually having to go through the text of renting everything again 1 by 1.

The main advantage of having access to all the puzzle-related items is that 100% of the dungeons can focus on using mechanics requiring those items. With the usual Zelda formula, you spend half the time in a dungeon reaching the puzzle-related item and then only the other 50% of the dungeon actually uses mechanics requiring that new item you got.

The main flaw is that the system is totally unessesary, since you can save and go back if you die, who would even press continue and re-rent all items ?

I cant believe they actually went to all that trouble to make something noone will probably ever use

Gsnap

Maybe five dungeons for $2 a piece, but not $2 for five dungeons altogether. Five dungeons would be half of ALBW's core offering, lol.

I was exaggerating, of course. My point is that when looking at how they handled NSLU and Pikmin 3's dlc, I would expect any dlc this game would get to be inexpensive and a good deal.

The main flaw is that the system is totally unessesary, since you can save and go back if you die, who would even press continue and re-rent all items ?

I cant believe they actually went to all that trouble to make something noone will probably ever use

I always chose continue. You save before the dungeon, so wouldn't any progress made in the dungeon be lost? Isn't it more beneficial for me to continue and rent items again (my pockets overflowing with cash), then to backtrack through a dungeon I've already done?

Morfeo

How far into the game are you by chance? Are you missing the titan mitts or power gloves?

I have done three dungeons in Lorule, I miss the ones that make me able to grab the big stones. Anyways, went back to the dungeon in question, and for some reason, I had access to a room that I hadnt yet explored - so that let me progress. Have no idea why I didnt see that when I was there yesterday :)

Koozek

I expected you all guns blazing at the idea of DLC in a Zelda :D But, yeah, the stand alone argument is good. It'd just add to the game and they could ramp up the difficulty more than in the main game because of accessibility and user friendliness that has to be ensured.

I can't check right now but if I'm not mistaken there is still unused space in the item menu after getting everything, right? DLC might even add a cool item or two. Who knows... someone should give Nintendo the right idea on Twitter/Facebook^^

nasos_333

I was exaggerating, of course. My point is that when looking at how they handled NSLU and Pikmin 3's dlc, I would expect any dlc this game would get to be inexpensive and a good deal.

I always chose continue. You save before the dungeon, so wouldn't any progress made in the dungeon be lost? Isn't it more beneficial for me to continue and rent items again (my pockets overflowing with cash), then to backtrack through a dungeon I've already done?

I never actually died in a dungeon before the boss and always there is a teleport you can use to go and save before the boss, so i saved and even if i died from the boss, i just loaded and lost near zero progress, plus i could be in the boss room in a few secs using the teleport

Maybe i did it that way because i just never died before the dungeon boss and the teleport appearence that enabled saving at any time easilly

Gsnap

I never actually died in a dungeon before the boss and always there is a teleport you can use to go and save before the boss, so i saved and even if i died from the boss, i just loaded and lost near zero progress, plus i could be in the boss room in a few secs using the teleport

Maybe i did it that way because i just never died before the dungeon boss and the teleport appearence that enabled saving at any time easilly

Ah. I see. I always do the dungeons in one run (unless for some reason I run out of time and have to do something else).

But I won't disagree that the rental system needs some work. Or needs to become something different entirely.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hero Mode is so much better in this game than in Wind Waker HD. Not getting heart drops at all was annoying. My only options were red potions and fairies, so I had to backtrack a ton.

llamarawk

Where would they put the DLC dungeons in the overworlds? Don't see them adding to the map unless the make another overworld altogether. Midrule, anyone?

Top Bottom