• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

bryanee

Well my Zelda 3DS arrived yesterday and I finally had a quick go on Zelda earlier. My god I nearly had an orgasm when the first piece of music kicked in.

Griss

Ah, my brother has asked me if I'd like this for Christmas. I'll probably say yes, but I'm a little torn.

Zelda was always my fav series growing up. TLoZ on the NES was my first ever game, and I played it religiously as a kid. Since then I've played and beaten every Zelda game at least twice, and I've beaten some of them 5+ times. I love me some Zelda. I used to dream out OoT, I loved it so much.

But this one... looks so uninspiring. Every video I've seen looks underwhelming. The art style is dull and bland. It's a quasi-remake. The rental system sounds very disappointing to me.

And worst of all, it's based on the only Zelda game of them all I didn't enjoy - LttP. I was super hyped for it as an 8 year old, but when it came out I was so disappointed I never beat it. Played it as a high school kid, thinking now I'd surely love it, but nope. Finally beat it as a college student years ago, but it never clicked with me.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are probably much worse games, but even those two I enjoyed more than LttP. So that's the number 1 thing making me wary.

Can anyone sell me on this game? Is it worthy? Am I the only hardcore Zelda fan in history to hate LttP and love Skyward Sword having played both on release day? I might be.

Beat it a few days ago and loved it. There are one or two dungeons that weren't that great and I kind of miss the old Zelda formula of getting an item in the middle of a dungeon and using it to finish the dungeon and beat the boss, but definitely a great game and in my top 5 of the year and my favorite top-down zelda game by far.

Finally finished. Pretty much a letdown after really looking forward to it. Easy mode linear dungeons and so much rehash, even for a zelda game. The rental system was interesting, but I'm not sure that's the way to go in the future. I liked a lot of the little graphical effects, 3d, and music.

Kokonoe

Banned
So after playing this for a while, I do think it's a good game, but I'm realizing this isn't anything ground breaking gameplay wise, artstyle wise, or mechanics wise for a Zelda game. I do like the wall stuff, but as someone who's played A Link to the Past, it feels more or less a rehash outside of the dungeons and even then it still feels that way at times. This game lives off the shadow of A Link to the Past instead of being an entirely original Zelda experience, which is something I want to see. I will say that it is fun, despite the dungeons being short, but it's not amazing.

Griss

So after playing this for a while, I do think it's a good game, but I'm realizing this isn't anything ground breaking gameplay wise, artstyle wise, or mechanics wise for a Zelda game. I do like the wall stuff, but as someone who's played A Link to the Past, it feels more or less a rehash outside of the dungeons and even then it still feels that way at times. This game lives off the shadow of A Link to the Past instead of being an entirely original Zelda experience, which is something I want to see. I will say that it is fun, despite the dungeons being short, but it's not amazing.

Having not yet played it, this is exactly what it looks like from the outside, and that's why I'm hesitant. I don't want to ruin this year of 10+ incredible 3DS games by ending it with a mediocre Zelda!

Socreges

Banned
Having not yet played it, this is exactly what it looks like from the outside, and that's why I'm hesitant. I don't want to ruin this year of 10+ incredible 3DS games by ending it with a mediocre Zelda!
Better to just ignore all the other glowing reviews and impressions and just never play it ever.

Neiteio

All of the dungeons felt like that in my opinion. I knew something was up when I kept getting the boss keys in no time at all. There's just no sense of exploration and path finding in the dungeons (aside from one or two) and that's a huge disappointment for me, especially when the game is great fun outside the dungeons. Ultimately the Item rental system was a double edge sword. I don't want it back in future Zelda games.
I think portability is more the reason behind the short dungeons. I frankly like them here -- very potent and pure, like I'd imagine Walter White's meth would be to junkies on Breaking Bad.

That being said, I'd like Zelda U to follow the ideas I outlined in a thread a year ago: Give Link the entire starting tool set, and design dungeons around that full tool set. And maybe introduce a new item in each dungeon. Your core toolset would still allow you to explore any dungeon in any order, and to uncover most of the overworld. Meanwhile, having all of those tools with you at all times -- and the game knowing this -- means each dungeon can be made with eight items in mind, instead of one, and the dungeon-exclusive items can diversify things further.

Apdiddy

Just beat the game about ten minutes ago.

There's a lot I liked about the game. True, the dungeons are a tad easy especially if you've played Link to the Past and the early Zelda games -- but considering that most of the series nowadays is geared towards 3D Zelda series or the Wind Waker-verse, the dungeons (and the game) is really remarkable. What's mediocre for a Zelda game is remarkable for other games. I haven't played the series past Ocarina of Time, so I couldn't tell you how the other games are compared to this.

At the same time, I didn't like that the dungeons were a tad easy until
Lorule Castle. And the ending revelation with Ravio and Hilda was a bit off-putting. The dashing controls I didn't like at all -- I'm not even sure I used it unless it was to catch Maiamais. What made the dash in LTTP work was better than how it is in ALBW.

I especially loved Octo-ball. If there's a LOZ sports game, this should be it.

It isn't actually a mediocre Zelda though. It does a lot of things very, very well. 2D Zelda has never played this smooth or sounded this good, and the nonlinearity is pretty great even if it caused the difficulty to be toned down overall. You can always do a 3 heart run if thats a huge deal to you. The length is also on the shorter side, but 100%ing the game takes a lot of exploration and should take around 20 hours, which isn't too bad. It isn't my favorite Zelda as I still prefer 3D Zelda over 2D Zelda, but it's easily one of my favorite 2D ones.

A DLC mega-dungeon that incorporates every item in the game, features multiple mini-bosses before the main boss, and has dozens of chests to uncover would be AMAZING.

This. Except for the DLC part. Should have been an optional secret dungeon in Hero mode.

I have been thinking about something like this for a while now. While everyone else is thinking "Hero mode this... Hero mode that... Hero mode...", I think that Zelda games should have more difficult, clever, rage-inducing (well, maybe a little less rage-inducing) puzzles. Puzzles, especially those utilizing the items, are one of the main things I love about Zelda games. If they don't want to turn off players with these kind of difficult puzzles, then at least give us an optional secret dungeon in Hero mode where they test the players intelligence/cleverness.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think portability is more the reason behind the short dungeons. I frankly like them here -- very potent and pure, like I'd imagine Walter White's meth would be to junkies on Breaking Bad.

That being said, I'd like Zelda U to follow the ideas I outlined in a thread a year ago: Give Link the entire starting tool set, and design dungeons around that full tool set. And maybe introduce a new item in each dungeon. Your core toolset would still allow you to explore any dungeon in any order, and to uncover most of the overworld. Meanwhile, having all of those tools with you at all times -- and the game knowing this -- means each dungeon can be made with eight items in mind, instead of one, and the dungeon-exclusive items can diversify things further.

I agree with that, it would lead to more complicated puzzles if done right. I had the same though after finishing this game.

Ah, my brother has asked me if I'd like this for Christmas. I'll probably say yes, but I'm a little torn.

Zelda was always my fav series growing up. TLoZ on the NES was my first ever game, and I played it religiously as a kid. Since then I've played and beaten every Zelda game at least twice, and I've beaten some of them 5+ times. I love me some Zelda. I used to dream out OoT, I loved it so much.

But this one... looks so uninspiring. Every video I've seen looks underwhelming. The art style is dull and bland. It's a quasi-remake. The rental system sounds very disappointing to me.

And worst of all, it's based on the only Zelda game of them all I didn't enjoy - LttP. I was super hyped for it as an 8 year old, but when it came out I was so disappointed I never beat it. Played it as a high school kid, thinking now I'd surely love it, but nope. Finally beat it as a college student years ago, but it never clicked with me.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are probably much worse games, but even those two I enjoyed more than LttP. So that's the number 1 thing making me wary.

Can anyone sell me on this game? Is it worthy? Am I the only hardcore Zelda fan in history to hate LttP and love Skyward Sword having played both on release day? I might be.

Well, being a hardcore Zelda fan should be reason enough, no? ;)

But, seriously, the gameplay is just so smooth and polished and the pacing is just right.

By the way, what part of ALTTP did you not enjoy?

They had no trouble re-releasing games like LTTP and OOT on portables and LA also had quite beefy dungeons (dat Eagle Tower!) so I can't accept that portability excuse. Even the DS games had better dungeons, I think. The dungeons barely get going before they're over and so while the dungeon count is high, it doesn't feel like half of it, even.

I'm not sure I still like the idea of Link having a full tool set from the start but if it has to be that way then I 100% agree with your way of execution.

Neiteio

They had no trouble re-releasing games like LTTP and OOT on portables and LA also had quite beefy dungeons (dat Eagle Tower!) so I can't accept that portability excuse. Even the DS games had better dungeons, I think. The dungeons barely get going before they're over and so while the dungeon count is high, it doesn't feel like half of it, even.
Oh, I'm not saying they -had- to be that short, I'm just saying Nintendo might've reasoned it made for a more potent experience. And ALBW was easily the most addictive I've found a Zelda game since, like, Majora's Mask. I think the dungeon format might've had something to do with that.

I'm not sure I still like the idea of Link having a full tool set from the start but if it has to be that way then I 100% agree with your way of execution.
I said "starting" tool set -- so more than one weapon, but less than the full arsenal. It would automatically make the dungeons more complex while making them all available from the start.

Not totally disagreeing with your idea, but, I would prefer that Link finds/discovers all items/equipments instead of making most, if not all, of them available from the start.

An idea I have is to make the items obtainable via mini/item dungeon, overworld puzzle, or sidequest. Main dungeons, which are separate from the item dungeon, may or may not contain items/equipments.

Also, here's a quote on a quick idea I made as a reply to one of the posters in the thread:

Let's assume that dungeon A item is required for dungeon 1, B for 2, and so on. If you want to do dungeon 3 first, then retrieve item in dungeon C. If you want to do dungeon 8 next, retrieve item in dungeon H.

Let's assume that you can access any dungeon, be it item dungeon or story dungeon. The fun part is discovering an item and looking for where to use said item. Or getting stuck in a dungeon because you don't have the required item which encourages you to explore the overworld looking for that item.

These are just my quick examples by the way.

Feel free to criticize. :)

Oh, I'm not saying they -had- to be that short, I'm just saying Nintendo might've reasoned it made for a more potent experience. And ALBW was easily the most addictive I've found a Zelda game since, like, Majora's Mask. I think the dungeon format might've had something to do with that.
I don't know why they'd reason that though. Zelda games are at least half a dungeon experience for most games (you could argue that MM is less so, but those 4 dungeons were huge). Making them so "lite" takes away from one of the series strong and defining points, in my opinion. It's especially strange as a sequel to ALTTP to have such inferior dungeons. ALTTP's dungeons weren't necessarily long but they felt sprawling and they were multi-tiered. The exploration outside of the dungeons in ALBW felt fantastic and true to form that I can't help but feel Nintendo cut corners elsewhere. I would have thought with all the heavy asset recycling that we'd be treated to meatier dungeons, but ah well. I dunno, it's just been a while since I've had a Zelda check all the points. I really hope Zelda U is that game for me.

Neiteio said:
I said "starting" tool set -- so more than one weapon, but less than the full arsenal. It would automatically make the dungeons more complex while making them all available from the start.
Yeah I read that wrong, sorry! I fully agree then.

Loook man I'll just put it like this

I'm in nearly the exact same boat as you, except I've never enjoyed any of the top down Zelda games. And I'm in love with this one. It's much more than a 'quasi-remake', trust me. It's got some flaws, sure, but it's much faster paced and varied than LTTP was

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But this one... looks so uninspiring. Every video I've seen looks underwhelming. The art style is dull and bland. It's a quasi-remake.
I thought the same thing, and then I played the game. It's one of the best Zeldas ever. I still think the art style is pretty awful, but the game is amazing.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

I think the dungeons were short because they didn't have as much time to make the game. That team is working on a ton of games keep in mind (WWHD, this, and Zelda U). However, I think the dungeons themselves, while short, were really well-done =). The overworld (thanks to LTTP) is pretty awesome as well. Phantom Hourglass's dungeons were terrible in comparison, and there were like 4-5 if I recall.

ghibli99

Dungeon length in this game was perfect, IMO. More importantly, I thought their quality was high and contained some really cool ideas. I hope Zelda U mirrors the jump we saw from SM3DL to SM3DW.

Gsnap

Dungeon length in this game was perfect, IMO. More importantly, I thought their quality was high and contained some really cool ideas. I hope Zelda U mirrors the jump we saw from SM3DL to SM3DW.

This is an important point. Most of the dungeons were short, but they were packed with content and ideas and variety, and they used the item set really well. Better than most recent Zeldas, I think. And when the items didn't get any significant usage, the dungeon itself had cool ideas.
Thieve's Town and the Dark Palace stick out in my mind
A few items could've used more of a spotlight (personally, I think the boomerang should be removed from all future Zelda's if they can't find a good use for it), and it would have been nice if dungeons incorporated more than one item at a time, but this is the first Zelda game of this sort, so I expect there to be some issues.

I really enjoyed the non-linear nature of the game, and I hope future games take this idea further and fix what little flaws this game had.

so sort of related, wasn't there a Zelda remake for the DS or 3DS eshop that upgraded the original LoZ graphics to psuedo aLttP art style? or is my memory completely wrong on this? I know there is the OoT remake, but i thought there was another that was only available on the eShop

Velcro Fly

I did the baseball mini game today. I was expecting it to be really hard but I got it within about 20 minutes. My top score is 140.

Really enjoying the game in small chunks. Even if it's just going from a centralized location to getting to a dungeon entrance every bit of this game is enjoyable. Often times things require solutions that are not immediately apparent but never so obtuse that I feel like I need to look them up. Often times the solution is simpler than I realize while I'm looking for something much more complex.

Griss

I thought the same thing, and then I played the game. It's one of the best Zeldas ever. I still think the art style is pretty awful, but the game is amazing.

To both you and the others who've replied, alright, I'm in - you convinced me. Just wanted to hear from at least a couple of people who don't automatically love every zelda to give me a sense of balance.

As for why I didn't like LttP, it was a combination of not liking the sprite work of either the background tiles or link himself, not liking the way the SNES synthed up the music, being completely turned off by the in media res beginning which bored the hell out of me when it was intended to do the opposite, and finding the overworld just felt too big and too empty. A bunch of stuff put together made it a deathly dull game for me.

BTW, I just got accepted as a junior so there's stuff I don't know - anyone know how to easily quote multiple posts in one reply? Can't figure that out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
As for why I didn't like LttP, it was a combination of not liking the sprite work of either the background tiles or link himself, not liking the way the SNES synthed up the music, being completely turned off by the in media res beginning which bored the hell out of me when it was intended to do the opposite, and finding the overworld just felt too big and too empty. A bunch of stuff put together made it a deathly dull game for me.
You are a bad person.

nasos_333

To both you and the others who've replied, alright, I'm in - you convinced me. Just wanted to hear from at least a couple of people who don't automatically love every zelda to give me a sense of balance.

BTW, I just got accepted as a junior so there's stuff I don't know - anyone know how to easily quote multiple posts in one reply? Can't figure that out.

The art is also nice generally, the animations are on the spot and there are areas that trully feel epic despite the graphics engine. The charm of zelda world is 100% there still, so graphics engine is not really that important, since you do get involved fully in the world

And i dont love every Zelda too, i hated Zelda TP and SS, that is why i would rather they focused on 3DS and never released a WiiU Zelda, the game is that good

The charm and exitement that game has is beyond words, it is hands down the most fun and emotionally involvng experience i have had since PS1 days

Good to hear. I do hope that you won't be disappointed.

Finished this game last night, after finally finding that last piece of heart. It was probably one of my best gaming experiences this year, it really moved along at a fast pace, and I loved the freedom granted by the renting system. Felt more like an open world Zelda-game than any other recently, and the new item meter had me using all items for normal fights, instead of saving bombs/arrows/etc for puzzles. Might be my new favorite 2D Zelda actually.

Also, I had read in this thread about how moving the ending would be, but I still hadn't imagined that they would make it that satisfying. I was kind of expecting the story to feel tacked-on after reading in the Iwata asks that the wall merge mechanic came before anything else in the game, yet it didn't feel like that at all. Bravo!

Mecca

If you streetpass someone, does your Shadow Link automatically update on the other persons 3DS with all your upgraded weapons or do I have to manually choose which weapons my Link will streetpass with? I haven't touched my Shadow Link since I first set it up and he didn't have much at the time.

Koozek

Finished this game last night, after finally finding that last piece of heart. It was probably one of my best gaming experiences this year, it really moved along at a fast pace, and I loved the freedom granted by the renting system. Felt more like an open world Zelda-game than any other recently, and the new item meter had me using all items for normal fights, instead of saving bombs/arrows/etc for puzzles. Might be my new favorite 2D Zelda actually.

Out of curiosity, how did you play so that the renting system made sense? Why wouldn't one rent all the items at the beginning?^^ It wasn't even that expensive - well, maybe my OCD in regards to mowing every bush/grass/enemy on every screen helped filling my pocket up early on.
I couldn't even die if I wanted to because I had fairies with me all the time, haha.
Basically the renting system made no sense for me. Maybe in Hero Mode.
The best evolution of this idea would be to just have Link get the basic items (bow, hook, bomb) from the start of the game for future Zeldas, as a few here already said.

Oh and yeah, the stamina system is the best new thing to come out of a recent Zelda IMO. Makes so much sense and makes the gameplay flexible and varied because you can finally use the items you have how you like, not fearing being low on ammo. It also eliminates the redundant need to fill every dungeon or boss room with pots or whatever. Great idea :)

PS: This is the first Zelda game I forgot that I even had a boomerang in (only used it in one of those secret treasure mini-dungeons) :D

Sorian

Banned
So, for the racing mini-game:
You are meant to "cheat" right? I notice they fail you if you use the broomstick but if you jump over to Lorule, then broomstick and then pop back into Hyrule it is ok, that was the point, right?

DaBoss

You are meant to "cheat" right? I notice they fail you if you use the broomstick but if you jump over to Lorule, then broomstick and then pop back into Hyrule it is ok, that was the point, right?
No...but it does mean you suck. :p

Koozek

Whaaat, you could do that? :D Hä, I mean, it certainly wasn't easy but with the Pegasus Boots and a few tries it's doable. I found the Octoball game way worse and unbelievably frustrating. Tried for half an hour straight, hand cramps included.

Top Bottom