• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Finally conquered the baseball game!!

On another note, Dark Palace was one of the more difficult dungeons for me. Its funny how everything in a dungeon is based upon the simple elements first taught after entering...

Majukun

i must be sincere,i was expecting a much easier game.
it's not hard by any means,but it's not "kindergarten level" like wind waker...enemies hit pretty hard in lorule,and bosses are fought on small platform compared to their size,and usually with obstacles too.

that makes me happy,but i must say the dungeons until now (done 3 in lorule) have been kinda weak..they are not bad,but they are a bit lacking level design-wise

all in all, i'm liking this game

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just...how many secret characters are in the game? After gossip fellas, mistreated husbands, wounded explorers, I was just strolling around Zora's Domain, entered a cave and there was this Hinox lookin all scared beggin to be left alone and offered me money...I asked more, and more, and more, until he flipped out and now he's waving his massive arms at me. I tried to kill him but he's immortal

this game. The attention to detail is just staggering

Smellycat

Hero mode is kicking my ass.
LLShC.gif

just...how many secret characters are in the game? After gossip fellas, mistreated husbands, wounded explorers, I was just strolling around Zora's Domain, entered a cave and there was this Hinox lookin all scared beggin to be left alone and offered me money...I asked more, and more, and more, until he flipped out and now he's waving his massive arms at me

this game. The attention to detail is just staggering
I was curious if the guy was needed for something else in game??

I started a Hero Mode run today and cleared the first three dungeons during a cross-country flight. The fast pace and open structure make this game SO much more replayable than any Zelda since LttP. I do wish, however, that Hero Mode mixed things up a bit more. I know a full Master-Quest-style rearrangement of dungeons and puzzles is too much to expect, but I wish I needed to adopt new tactics for more than just combat.

Quick question: I have three empty bottles, but the bee guy won't give me a bug-catching net. Do you not get the net on hero mode, or have I run into a glitch of some kind?

Talon

If it's the one on the second floor in the middle then
you get into it using a flipping wall. In the room south of it with the switches that raise the platforms the southern most switch will also flip the wall between the two rooms.
I think this is literally the only puzzle in the game that I found to be difficult.

Porsche9146

Neo Member
I was never bored during the most recent home console Zelda offerings, but tonight while playing this I realized that I spent such a small portion of the time playing them having genuine fun. This game, on the other hand? This game is genuine fun.

I've still got half the game to go but already I need a sequel and I need it now.

I'm currently downloading the game, so glad I finally could buy the damn game on the JPN eShop.
It's 8AM right now, I'll go to sleep and when I wake up, I'll get to play this gem <3

No Love

Banned
The people in this thread convinced me to get this game for Christmas. Unfortunately I went to Canada with family for the holidays and my 3DS charger didn't work.

However I just got one from the lost and found in the hotel, and can play the game one day late! Just started the first five minutes - initial impression: I didn't believe people in this thread, but it really does look so much better in motion and in 3d. It still looks horrible in 2D though. Music is already good, but Link's character model is horrible, lol.

Can't wait to get stuck in.

Agreed. The game looks so damn good in 3D. Looks really plain and goofy in 2D.

Dmax3901

So I've done all the Lorule dungeons and I've gotten everything except two heart containers, I looked at guides and it seems like I have every one :/ any ideas?

Discovered that one of them is the 200 rupee a pop chance game in Lorule :/ Just one more to go!

Coen

Hm. There is a room and a chest in the
Dark Palace
that has me stumped. I've already cleared the dungeon, boss included, so it's obviously optional for the dungeon itself, but not being able to get to them are bothering me.

Is it a room with no visible door, but a wall with a Helmasaur sign on it? If so, you should at least know what to do to enter the room.

Nerokis

I still want Majora's Mask Next, but after that DEF a sequel to this!

I agree! I personally found the homages to ALTTP a somewhat mixed bag: largely charming and welcome, but sometimes tired. I would love to see a LA version of this game, though - more quirky, more self-contained, with more interesting storytelling/narrative. Seriously, the core formula was absolutely nailed, along with almost everything else. Please, now give us ALBW's LA/MM!

Bought this game at launch but kept it sealed as I wanted to play it over Christmas. Absolutely loving it so far. I'm about nine hours in and I have just completed the first two dungeons and visited the Lost Woods
to find the Master Sword, that puzzle with the Poes took me far to long to work out.
Can anyone give me a hint how I'm supposed to get the Premium milk to the guy in the Death Mountain, can't seem to find him anywhere.
Also the very bottom left hand corner of the map seems to be inaccessible, does this open up once I reach the Lorule?

CassSept

it's pretty amazing how... alive hyrule and lorule are in this game. it doesn't feel like past zelda games where it's basically just one or two "islands" of people who seem to be completely cut off and ignorant of the world outside of their village screen. despite the lack of tutorials and exposition, this game is dense with npcs to talk to

It's so dense. Every single screen has so many NPCs.

But yeah, the overworld is amazing. I'm actually surprised because vast majority of Zeldas the bigger the overworld, the emptier it was, with TP being the prime offender. Hyrule and Lorule are really well thought out and exploring them is a joy.

breakfuss

I'm not getting the "too easy" complaints. Relative to what? Certainly not other Zeldas. IDK, maybe I've lost my edge, but I've been having a bit of trouble getting into some of these Lorule dungeons, man. Once inside I suppose it is another story, but they're clever nevertheless. Loving every moment of this game.

CassSept

I'm not getting the "too easy" complaints. Relative to what? Certainly not other Zeldas. IDK, maybe I've lost my edge, but I've been having a bit of trouble getting into some of these Lorule dungeons, man. Once inside I suppose it is another story, but they're clever nevertheless. Loving every moment of this game.

Even relative to other Zeldas. ALBW is about the level of TP, slightly easier maybe. There are easier games in the series, TWW is a joke, but it's still easier than a vast majority of Zelda games.

Tookay

I don't agree with the easy comments at all, honestly. It achieves the right amount of challenge without being too frustrating or a total cakewalk. That's more than I can say about this series in a long time.

Rich!

I don't agree with the easy comments at all, honestly. It achieves the right amount of challenge without being too frustrating or a total cakewalk. That's more than I can say about this series in a long time.

I don't get it either. It's harder than Wind Waker, and that's not even counting the Hero Mode which is absolutely intense as fuck, and is a must play for Zelda fans.

isny

napkin dispenser
Hero mode is kicking my ass.
LLShC.gif

How I did it was to upgrade the most useful items ASAP, got bottles + faeries ASAP, and went through the dungeons in the order to get the best items first (tunic, ore, etc.)

Also...collect lots of heart pieces...

I thought WW was slightly more challenging simply because I had trouble with one boss in that game. I don't think I died on any boss in this game. It was a breeze especially because the dungeons have no real sense of a difficulty curve and all feel elementary aside from the Ice one.

Can someone tell me how the overall sales are so far?
Been checking ******** but they don't have any info since December 7th.

I really hope the game sells extremely well

I like the game, but the dungeons are way too easy.

In my opinion all Zelda dungeons should be in LTTP vein where it takes you a minimum of an hour to completely beat.

Dungeons in this game took me about 15 minutes on average, and I just mindlessly breezed through it. The most challenging was Ice Ruins, but even then it allowed you to get the boss key right away.

The dark palace main treasure was also challenging. I had to look at a guide for that.

To be fair I haven't payed Skyward Sword, Windwaker or Twilight Princess and if you guys say it's that easy then I really don't want to play it...

To be fair I haven't payed Skyward Sword, Windwaker or Twilight Princess and if you guys say it's that easy then I really don't want to play it...

Nah, the dungeons in those games are far more challenging and robust than the ones in ALBW. WW and TP are nearly as easy though in terms of combat challenge. SS offers more of a challenge on that front.

The dark palace main treasure was also challenging. I had to look at a guide for that.

You complain that the dungeons are way too easy, but when you encounter a challenging puzzle, you look at a guide....
Doesn't make sense!

Rich!

In my opinion all Zelda dungeons should be in LTTP vein where it takes you a minimum of an hour to completely beat.

Dungeons in this game took me about 15 minutes on average, and I just mindlessly breezed through it. The most challenging was Ice Ruins, but even then it allowed you to get the boss key right away.

what

That's like finding a crossword to be too hard, looking at the answers to finish it, and then complaining it was too easy.

isny

napkin dispenser
Some of the puzzles did stump me the first go around. I kept having to remind myself to "think fourth dimensionally." It was the only way to figure out that the puzzle required merging and then figuring out how/where to merge.

wasn't clear what needed to be done. I could see the chest on my map, but i didn't realize the orbs also affected the wall as well as the platform. I think that was bad design more than anything.

Still doesn't change the fact the rest of the dungeons were way too easy.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
wasn't clear what needed to be done. I could see the chest on my map, but i didn't realize the orbs also affected the wall as well as the platform. I think that was bad design more than anything.
Not really, you encountered the same markings on the walls with switches just 2 rooms earlier.

I'm loving this game so much, I'm sorry I doubted it when it was first announced. The graphics look a lot better in motion and I'm also not finding it that easy like many complained about.

CassSept

Maybe I played too much and too many Zeldas before :p but honestly while puzzles were clever, none of them really stumped me. Savage Labyrinth was harder than Treacherous Tower too, it required quite some preparation and was a grueling experience, I had just beaten Treacherous Tower an hour ago and it was a cakewalk. Maybe because it's easier to break than Savage Labyrinth, but I did not prepare for Treacherous Tower nearly as much as I did for Savage Labyrinth.

Skyward Sword was definitely harder and it wasn't cheap difficulty either.

Treachorous Tower I did with 12 hearts, 4 bottles, no upgrade to the master sword, no upgrades to any of my weapons and the green mail.

I died about 6 or 7 times before completing it. Now that was a fun challenge. I just ran through it with everything at full power and it took me 9 minutes.

Talon

Still doesn't change the fact the rest of the dungeons were way too easy.
Nope. The previous room to the north shows you that the orbs flip walls.

Finally got this game today. Played through the first dungeon and got the sticking-on-walls ability. So much fun! And so much charm. I love this :)

And man... that chicken avoiding minigame... played through the first two difficulties, but failed twice at the third difficulty. 100 rupees down the drain. Is it worth it or is this minigame just for doubling your money?

Finally got this game today. Played through the first dungeon and got the sticking-on-walls ability. So much fun! And so much charm. I love this :)

And man... that chicken avoiding minigame... played through the first two difficulties, but failed twice at the third difficulty. 100 rupees down the drain. Is it worth it or is this minigame just for doubling your money?

Third level gives you a Piece of Heart.

If you're struggling, spam START repeatedly to slow down time. Just watch you don't get RSI.

Third level gives you a Piece of Heart.

If you're struggling, spam START repeatedly to slow down time. Just watch you don't get RSI.

Well I don't feel like I'm really struggling. Just tried it twice, but each time I had only 4 seconds left... lmao. I'll try it again soon, I'll probably manage. Thanks!

Chitown B

The
Desert boss
is kicking my ass, any advice? This is only the third Lorule dungeon I've done, after
the Thieves Den and the Turtle Rock or whatever
and I just can't do anything against this guy.
I can't dodge his little flying dudes and his sand beam effectively at the same time, and the collapsing sand bridges keep trapping me in bad positions where I have to make a new one into a dangerous position

upgrade the
Sand Rod with maiamai's
. I had it before I went there and didn't realize that the original worked like that. So much easier.

Chitown B

Maybe I played too much and too many Zeldas before :p but honestly while puzzles were clever, none of them really stumped me. Savage Labyrinth was harder than Treacherous Tower too, it required quite some preparation and was a grueling experience, I had just beaten Treacherous Tower an hour ago and it was a cakewalk. Maybe because it's easier to break than Savage Labyrinth, but I did not prepare for Treacherous Tower nearly as much as I did for Savage Labyrinth.

Skyward Sword was definitely harder and it wasn't cheap difficulty either.

SS was also a fully 3D world game, which is a lot more complex.

Also, you have to keep in mind this is marketed to little kids as well. I was 12 when Link's Awakening came out and that game was hard. These days it might not be, but it's hard to know since I already know the solutions. The thing with throwing that ball at all the pillars - I had no clue at 12.

CassSept

Also, you have to keep in mind this is marketed to little kids as well. I was 12 when Link's Awakening came out and that game was hard. These days it might not be, but it's hard to know since I already know the solutions. The thing with throwing that ball at all the pillars - I had no clue at 12.

Nah, Link's Awakening is still significantly harder than ALBW. I'm a huge fan of the series, but I somehow ended up being always behind when it comes to handheld entries, which in turn meant I didn't finish LA until last month. I actually died a fair amount of times throughout the game. They are definitely not comparable, ALBW is a cakewalk on normal mode and it only becomes difficult when you go with a weird order of dungeons.

Doesn't mean it's a bad game! TWW is even easier for the most part and I love that game. ALBW is amazing, but could really use a little more difficulty.

Another minor quibble - it's a shame ALBW does not introduce any new items to the series. The only slightly new item is Tornado Rod, which is just a gimped Roc's Feather/Roc's Cape, a staple for handheld Zeldas.

Grizzo

Another minor quibble - it's a shame ALBW does not introduce any new items to the series. The only slightly new item is Tornado Rod, which is just a gimped Roc's Feather/Roc's Cape, a staple for handheld Zeldas.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think Minish Cap was the best entry of the series on that level. Lots of new items were introduced in that one.

Nerokis

I thought the Tornado Rod was quite cool. You could say it's ALBW's RF/RC, but in terms of implementation, they're very different. Tornado Rod does provide means for vertical evasion, but in the context of a game clearly not built to allow actual, consistent jumping; and it also serves the purpose of stunning enemies with a 360 degree area of effect attack. I actually wouldn't characterize it at all the way you did. It has a fully realized design of its own. I love the animation, too: a gust of wind so powerful that it lifts Link into the sky is generated, stunning all the enemies around him - awesome. :p

I do think ALBW could have benefited from more new items, but still, I was very impressed by how useful almost all the items were. Going from dungeon to dungeon and exploring the world without an exact sense of what collection of items you should have, and just trying out a variety of them, was very satisfying. They're mostly all very powerful, with smart individual quirks, and the game does a great job presenting consistent opportunities for most to shine (which means enemy design, dungeon design, leveraging the 3D, etc. etc.). The one exception is the Boomerang, which mostly sat rotting in my inventory. I never found a strong use for it.

So while I don't totally disagree with you, I found the items to be a strong point overall. And that's partly because they benefited from strong execution of the, "At any point, you can approach this or that with almost any variety of items in your inventory" concept. Really, it's on the items front that I felt the non-linear design proved itself most.

Kirlia

Banned
I thought the Tornado Rod was quite cool. You could say it's ALBW's RF/RC, but in terms of implementation, they're very different. Tornado Rod does provide means for vertical evasion, but in the context of a game clearly not built to allow actual, consistent jumping; and it also serves the purpose of stunning enemies with a 360 degree area of effect attack. I actually wouldn't characterize it at all the way you did. It has a fully realized design of its own. I love the animation, too: a gust of wind so powerful that it lifts Link into the sky is generated, stunning all the enemies around him - awesome. :p

I do think ALBW could have benefited from more new items, but still, I was very impressed by how useful almost all the items were. Going from dungeon to dungeon and exploring the world without an exact sense of what collection of items you should have, and just trying out a variety of them, was very satisfying. They're mostly all very powerful, with smart individual quirks, and the game does a great job presenting consistent opportunities for most to shine (which means enemy design, dungeon design, leveraging the 3D, etc. etc.). The one exception is the Boomerang, which mostly sat rotting in my inventory. I never found a strong use for it.

So while I don't totally disagree with you, I found the items to be a strong point overall. And that's partly because they benefited from strong execution of the, "At any point, you can approach this or that with almost any variety of items in your inventory" concept. Really, it's on the items front that I felt the non-linear design proved itself most.

The upgraded Tornado Rod was godly in the Treacherous Tower. That alone made the Advanced Mode 90% easier.

And yeah, I didn't use the Boomerang much either. But I really enjoyed the items overall, especially the Fire Rod!

Top Bottom