• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I swear I'm the only one who always kept the boomerang equipped. It's really fun and useful!

Anteo

The Boomeran is the best item for either mode. You are not restricted to 8 directions like the hookshoot so you dont have to lineup your shoot, and on top of that you can move around while using it, so you are not stuck in place till it comes back. Also that means you can use it to stun those guys with shields from behind and not bother with the hookshoot to take their shields

I had withdrawals for a week after I beat the game, but I'm saving Hero mode for later. It's amazing how fresh it feels even if it's based on a 20 year old game.

Easily my GOTY after playing all the "GOTY material" games this year with the exception of Mario 3D World (I don't own a Wii U yet).

Nerokis

I swear I'm the only one who always kept the boomerang equipped. It's really fun and useful!

The Boomeran is the best item for either mode. You are not restricted to 8 directions like the hookshoot so you dont have to lineup your shoot, and on top of that you can move around while using it, so you are not stuck in place till it comes back. Also that means you can use it to stun those guys with shields from behind and not bother with the hookshoot to take their shields

Hmm... I'll have to give it another chance the next time I play. Even the upgraded boomerang felt rather out of place to me.

Finished my first "real" dungeon,
ice ruins
. I'm surprised how much I liked that one, even if it wasn't *that* mindblowing, it was a really nice design.

I loved the
Ice Ruins
. It leveraged the 3D very well. There was one puzzle I was stuck on for a bit, because I forgot to consider the
height of the Fire Rod's flame.

Wiz

What do you get for clearing the
Advanced level of Treacherous Tower?

Also, where do you get the
Red Mail?

Want to get 100% before I finish the game.

Prisoner

Red Mail?

1. Super lantern, super net (you have to do it twice: first for the lantern, then for the net).
2. Lorule castle.

Cess007

So far the has been good but nothing outstanding really. However, for some reason i left the
Dark Palace as the last dungeon and i'm happy with that. It's easily the best dungeon of the entire game. The mechanic of stuff been only visible in darkness was a welcome twist and even when i'm currently stuck on it (i can't figure out how to put the light on the upper-left switch to open the path to the boss' door), it don't mind wandering around the dungeon 'cause is that fun

Edit: Finally beat that dungeon, still my favorite
tho the last boss is pretty nostalgic to see, it's pretty easy. I remember him been harder to beat in ALTTP

Card Boy

Banned

Red Mail?

Tip for getting the
red tunic
. Not a location as its being answered, highlight at your own risk;

turn off the lights

ElfArmy177

Never owned a handheld in my life and Im 28 years old. Purchased a 3DS XL just for this game because Im such a huge zelda fanatic and its like... omg Link to The Past was my favorite zelda of all time. This is amazing.

How were the DS games??

ghibli99

How were the DS games??
Worth playing if you're a big fan of the series, but be warned that they are quite different due to the touch controls and certain design choices. I preferred Spirit Tracks over Phantom Hourglass. Lots of people had problems with the touchscreen controls, but I thought they were quite good. Also, if you like the Wind Waker art style, these games have that too.

Never owned a handheld in my life and Im 28 years old. Purchased a 3DS XL just for this game because Im such a huge zelda fanatic and its like... omg Link to The Past was my favorite zelda of all time. This is amazing.

How were the DS games??

the ds games had shitty stylus controls where your hand would cover the screen. thats all i can say about them because after an hour or so spent in each i said fuck it cause the controls sucked

ElfArmy177

the ds games had shitty stylus controls where your hand would cover the screen. thats all i can say about them because after an hour or so spent in each i said fuck it cause the controls sucked

thats really unfortunate, as I cant stand gimmicks like that. grrrrrrrr. A Link between worlds is just plain ol zelda. Oh well, Ill give em a shot :)

Kirlia

Banned

How were the DS games??

They were quite good, in my opinion, and certainly worth playing, but Spirit Tracks seems to be a bit of a base breaker. Some people like it a lot, while others abhor it. Probably the most divisive of the portable Zelda games.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the controls for both DS Zelda games are very "like it or hate it."

ghibli99

thats really unfortunate, as I cant stand gimmicks like that. grrrrrrrr. A Link between worlds is just plain ol zelda. Oh well, Ill give em a shot :)
Just be thankful that they aren't the kind of games that go back and forth between touchscreen and traditional. The controls become second nature once you get used to them.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

How were the DS games??

they're both great games with some minor flaws, which some people find absolutely omg disgusting and abhorrent. I am not one of those

granted, you've got to like stylus controls, which i found very good and not at all annoying

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Tip for getting the
red tunic
. Not a location as its being answered, highlight at your own risk;

turn off the lights
Whoa, I didn't think to try that!
I just threw some bombs in front of me till they landed on the path, haha.

Is it worth struggling through hero mode to see the alternative/true ending? There is one right?
There's no alternate ending. But hero mode is really fun if you enjoy a challenge!

Anteo

Is it worth struggling through hero mode to see the alternative/true ending? There is one right?

Not worth it to see that. The "alternate" ending is just
a different The End screen. After links puts down the sword, he catches up with the sages and zelda that are in the entrance to the room with the pedestal, all of them look at the screen and thats it.

However the challenge is pretty nice and makes you play in a different way.

There's no alternate ending. But hero mode is really fun if you enjoy a challenge!

I just used
the fire rod to check the floor

Kirlia

Banned

Wow, that's really lucky, since
aren't both paths very narrow?
I
figured it out (which was a miracle; the stupid things I did in the game vastly outnumber the intelligent things I did) by using the Tornado Rod to blow out the lights on the floor. Then I fell down several floors and had to do it again.

It's worth a try though I guess. I played a couple dungeons and they seemed pretty cool. I mainly didn't like having to walk with the stylus and kept thinking how id like normal controls. They do some need stuff with the stylus. Actually I'd e more inclined to try them again myself now that I've gotten my fix of tradition 2d Zelda with albw

guek

Banned
This game is freakin ace. Finally just started, beat the first dungeon and already hooked. Postin from my 3DS :-D

Does being able to buy whatever you want work well? I want to like this game, but that sounds like change for the sake of change to me. Someone please convince me it works.

nStruct

Neo Member
Does being able to buy whatever you want work well? I want to like this game, but that sounds like change for the sake of change to me. Someone please convince me it works.

Works really well. Opens up the game in a way where you decide how you want to tackle it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The rental system isn't without issues, but it works pretty well, and adds a new take on the (rather tired) Zelda formula.

Bullza2o

Not worth it to see that. The "alternate" ending is just
a different The End screen. After links puts down the sword, he catches up with the sages and zelda that are in the entrance to the room with the pedestal, all of them look at the screen and thats it.

Oh okay thanks for letting me know. I really enjoyed the game, and it is one of the few games that I want to replay. Hero mode so far is really hard though. It's like a 2-hit KO or even OHKO early in the game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh okay thanks for letting me know. I really enjoyed the game, and it is one of the few games that I want to replay. Hero mode so far is really hard though. It's like a 2-hit KO or even OHKO early in the game.
It gets easier after you earn a few hearts and [item spoiler]
the blue armor
. Oh yeah, and bottles.

Finally completed the game. It wasn't until my second run through the
Treacherous Tower
that I realized it had
the original Dark World Dungeon music playing in the background, overplayed by the more suspenseful melody

Also, did not see the twist with [Ravio] coming. Should have though, but I honestly thought
he was going to be some variation of the Happy Mask Salesman given his eccentric nature and Majora's Mask being on the wall

Overall, this is one of the most impressive games I've played all year. The dungeons didn't seem too long, but that doesn't bother me considering it is a portable game. I hope there are other portable entries for the 3DS like this. If Nintendo could find a way to implement the Roc's Feather, I think it would open up even more gameplay possibilities. Also surprised to see the sound composer wasn't Yokota like I thought.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope there are other portable entries for the 3DS like this.
Seriously. If Nintendo wants to pull a Majora's Mask or Super Mario Galaxy 2 and make an ALBW sequel with things like art style and movement directly copied, I'd be totally fine with that. Maybe ALBW is a test to see how well a 2D Zelda sells in 2013. That thought makes me want to buy copies for every 3DS owner I know, lol.

Anteo

Finally completed the game. It wasn't until my second run through the
Treacherous Tower
that I realized it had
the original Dark World Dungeon music playing in the background, overplayed by the more suspenseful melody

Also, did not see the twist with [Ravio] coming. Should have though, but I honestly thought
he was going to be some variation of the Happy Mask Salesman given his eccentric nature and Majora's Mask being on the wall

Overall, this is one of the most impressive games I've played all year. The dungeons didn't seem too long, but that doesn't bother me considering it is a portable game. I hope there are other portable entries for the 3DS like this. If Nintendo could find a way to implement the Roc's Feather, I think it would open up even more gameplay possibilities. Also surprised to see the sound composer wasn't Yokota like I thought.

About the Ravio thing:

I dont know if you noticed, but the Mask is there since the begining of the game, so it's not like Ravio brought it with him when he took over your house.

Skab

Just finished my first playthrough. Though I had 100%, but apparently I missed the
Red Tunic
. Whoops.

Loved every minute of it though. I did find it to be a little on the easy side, but Hero Mode should make up for that. I've also come to accept that the Zelda series in general is kinda easy. That doesn't stop it from being fun though.

CassSept

15:38 aaand cut. 100% done, every heart piece collected, every maiamai returned, every rupee found, every nook and cranny of both Hyrule and Lorule explored (well, maybe, even as I was hunting Maiamais I kept on finding new places and new events, like
Runaway Item Shop Seller, that one was cool and really surprised me
). I'll admit I cheated a little to cap it off, but for the very vast part it was all my hard work.
I used help for golden bee, my final Heart Piece - the one in Death Mountain next to a portal, at one point in the Lorule ascent I did not notice there is one more path available so I had to google it, and one Maiamai - witch house. I barely went into witch house so that was really a low blow to hide one Maiamai there where vast majority of them is outdoors

Maiamai hunt is by far the best sidequest of this type in a series. It's immensely enjoyable and the implementation of pseudo-checklist was great, also meaning if you didn't want to use it you didn't have to. But honestly, allowing you to see where how many Maiamais you have left is great, and distinct sound cues were a great help (ugh, I hate Golden Skultulla noise in OoT). But most important of all, it was laid out very intelligently and actually also helped you to find secrets hidden everywhere around Hyrule and Lorule. That way not only it got you out in the world, but also was a great help in itself in 100%ing the game. As I went on I found I believe every mini-dungeon and tons of Heart Pieces. Fantastic thing.

However, I think reviews saying nostalgia has no impact on the game are just lying themselves. Video games journalism and all, but I really cannot imagine a game set around the same gameplay ideas but in a different Hyrule with a different soundtrack would get as high scores as it got from some of the biggest publications. But that's just a random thought and it's beside the point.

A Link Between Worlds is a fantastic experience and easily the best handheld Zelda game, maybe even best 2D Zelda, ever released. I'm honestly stunned. I knew the game would not be bad, but did I think it would be THAT good? Haha, no, no way. Zelda game had done an incredible job at bringing a sequel to one of the most celebrated games in history, a worthy sequel. It's not perfect, but it's an incredible ride. I actually think I'll replay ALttP soon, had not played that one in years.

Maiamai hunt is by far the best sidequest of this type in a series. It's immensely enjoyable and the implementation of pseudo-checklist was great, also meaning if you didn't want to use it you didn't have to. But honestly, allowing you to see where how many Maiamais you have left is great, and distinct sound cues were a great help (ugh, I hate Golden Skultulla noise in OoT). But most important of all, it was laid out very intelligently and actually also helped you to find secrets hidden everywhere around Hyrule and Lorule. That way not only it got you out in the world, but also was a great help in itself in 100%ing the game. As I went on I found I believe every mini-dungeon and tons of Heart Pieces. Fantastic thing.

Totally agree! I was thinking just how well implemented maiamais were, specially when compared to similar sidequests in the series, such as skulltulla hunting. The points that you mentioned are great reasons, and also the significant rewards for finding them, given in small increments, and the fact that the maiamais actually seem WORTH saving (cute little alien babies, with cute noises) made them my favorite sidequest of the game. I couldn't stop until I found all of them!

I finally beat the game with all but one piece of the heart. Not sure if I have the patience to seek it out right away. Maybe when I replay on a higher difficulty. Took me around 30 hours, although a lot of that was just noodling around looking for items since I resolved not to turn to faqs come hell or high water, and I wanted to see how close I would get to 100%. Getting
the last ore piece in the Dark Palace
and finding the
red tunic
posed the biggest challenges for me. Only dungeon that held me up for a minute was the Ice Ruins, the rest were fairly remedial (albeit well designed). The Swamp Palace, although not super challenging, really felt like a proper dungeon too.

I was a bit caught off guard by some of the framerate hiccups. It seemed like merging into the wall in certain areas taxed the engine, and there were a handful of areas where screen transitions seriously made the game stutter. For such a polished overall experience it was odd to see that sort of inconsistency. Seemed like a very un-Nintendo touch, and surprising because it's basically a gussied up version of a 20 year old game. Weird.

I was a bit caught off guard by some of the framerate hiccups. It seemed like merging into the wall in certain areas taxed the engine, and there were a handful of areas where screen transitions seriously made the game stutter. For such a polished overall experience it was odd to see that sort of inconsistency. Seemed like a very un-Nintendo touch, and surprising because it's basically a gussied up version of a 20 year old game. Weird.

Well, the whole game is made of polygons, unlike the old 2D sprites.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Yeah, a polygonal reconstruction of a 20 year old game without a ton of bells and whistles, and not exactly a visually intensive game any way you slice it. There are 3DS games that are farrrrrrrr more complex.

it's probably got something to do with the wall mechanic itself, since a lot of much more demanding sections, ie the Yuga fights didn't have any. I noticed just a couple framerate drops btw, mostly when enemies were hitting at my wall self around Zora's domain and the Lorule counterpart, not too annoying really

Top Bottom