• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

I ordered 2 copies of the "Collector's Edition" from GAME and I got one code for LA:DX. I was hoping I'd get 2 codes to give one away, I didn't read the disclaimer.
How is GAME's packaging anyway? I only used Gamestation a couple of times years ago. I'd like my CE copies to get here in collectible condition :/

Highwind

In three days this will be mine (two if Shopto delivers once again).

I'm ready.

BpNGeyJ.gif

Tex117

Banned
Agreed. Another incoherence is the fact that we all call him Link, Nintendo calls him Link in Smash and Four Swords, yet they want us to create his name, like IM in the adventure.

WTF? I don't care if he is mute, but for once stop pretending he is the player or something.

Do you think it is because he LINKS the game to the player 4th wall style?!

WOOOOAAAAHHHH

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I ordered 2 copies of the "Collector's Edition" from GAME and I got one code for LA:DX. I was hoping I'd get 2 codes to give one away, I didn't read the disclaimer.
How is GAME's packaging anyway? I only used Gamestation a couple of times years ago. I'd like my CE copies to get here in collectible condition :/
That's a bit harsh. Means you paid £10 for a folded up poster with the second pack!

Well years ago with Pokémon Diamond they sent out the bonus stylus in a thin envelope and it broke in the post. I send a complaint and they sent a replacement in a massive padded envelope. Since then I seem to have received everything in big padded envelopes so I guess they changed their policy or they have me on a special file.

More recently though, my Wind Waker HD collector's edition came in a good condition,

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. A non-linear dungeon is not necessarily a hard dungeon with difficult puzles (in fact, puzles don't have nothing to do with linearity). Linear means that the temple is just a corridor in design, a straight line where you can only choose one thing to do at the time, which is keep going forward. In a linear dungeon you can't stop to think "I'd rather going to the room of the left or to the room of the right?", because one of them is always closed and there's only one way possible to complete the dungeon. Like in this one:

ygoi.jpg

exactly and so are all SS dungeons :/

neoism

You know what would be amazing. If ALTTP released on the e-shop on Nov. 22. The awesome day would only get better

fucking Nintendo :/ I sold my cube and micro so I didn't need my gba LTTP anymore... fucking release it damn..
The fact that most of the the great gba games or ds games aren't buy-able on the VC on 3DS just shows you Nintendo is stupid... they would make bank.... :/

Conor 419

Banned
Keep Link quiet, I appreciate the subtle expression of character through startling attention to detail in the simplest of actions as opposed to the dopey storytelling in "AAA" titles. The gif below makes Link come across as an authentic teenage boy in the most awkward yet strangely beautiful way opposed to else I've ever seen in a video game.

tumblr_inline_mvrctgX4br1rryi43.gif

neoism

damn shame the 3ds speakers are sooo terribad... with this music this will probably be the first time I'll use headphones/earbuds...

That's a bit harsh. Means you paid £10 for a folded up poster with the second pack!

Well years ago with Pokémon Diamond they sent out the bonus stylus in a thin envelope and it broke in the post. I send a complaint and they sent a replacement in a massive padded envelope. Since then I seem to have received everything in big padded envelopes so I guess they changed their policy or they have me on a special file.

More recently though, my Wind Waker HD collector's edition came in a good condition,

The game on its own is €50 here, so I'm used to paying through the nose for euro stuff. Anyway, what worries me most is that they offer very basic shipping only, which means it might take up to 2 months to get here. So yeah, I hope the packaging is sturdy ;//

Pappasman

Keep Link quiet, I appreciate the subtle expression of character through startling attention to detail in the simplest of actions as opposed to the dopey storytelling in "AAA" titles. The gif below makes Link come across as an authentic teenage boy in the most awkward yet strangely beautiful way opposed to else I've ever seen in a video game.

tumblr_inline_mvrctgX4br1rryi43.gif

The way Link's eyes dip down and come back up is fucking hilarious.

RagnarokX

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. A non-linear dungeon is not necessarily a hard dungeon with difficult puzles (in fact, puzles don't have nothing to do with linearity). Linear means that the temple is just a corridor in design, a straight line where you can only choose one thing to do at the time, which is keep going forward. In a linear dungeon you can't stop to think "I'd rather going to the room of the left or to the room of the right?", because one of them is always closed and there's only one way possible to complete the dungeon. Like in this one:

ygoi.jpg

You can't go straight to the boss door at the end. You have to make your way around the final room.

I think Skyward Sword's maps are deceptively simple. Many of the rooms in SS' dungeons are like minidungeons themselves containing paths to figure out and multiple puzzles to solve.

You can't go straight to the boss door at the end. You have to make your way around the final room.

I think Skyward Sword's maps are deceptively simple. Many of the rooms in SS' dungeons are like minidungeons themselves containing paths to figure out and multiple puzzles to solve.

I was only drawing the order in which the player has to visit every room of the temple. Anyway, it is true that in Skyward the player has to do his way around while in the same room and can't go directly to the door, but I wouldn't call that a "minidungeon", I would call that just "a puzzle", and that's something every Zelda game does, not only Skyward.

However, the greatest dungeons in the series (and I don't think Skyward dungeons are even close of being that) offer both things: a clever room design that offers multiple ways of exploring every area of the temple (giving freedom and disorientation to the player), and intelligent puzzles in each room. When a dungeon is non-linear, the structure of the building becames itself a huge puzzle. That is something that the Zelda franchise doesn't offer since Majora's Mask.

zroid

Banned
I got hopelessly lost in Skyview Temple. I don't even remember how, but it was something stupid.

Me too, lol. Both me and my friend who was watching me play at the time were stumped on one particular thing for nearly an hour. It was by far the longest any single puzzle or thing has confounded me in a Zelda dungeon, and it was even sadder because neither of us were able to figure it out.

Wiz

Did anyone pre-order on Amazon? What's your estimated delivery date?

I would think that since Nintendo moved it's games from Sundays to Friday, Amazon would deliver them to me on release date, but I believe it's coming the next week for me.

ASIS

I was only drawing the order in which the player has to visit every room of the temple. Anyway, it is true that in Skyward the player has to do his way around while in the same room and can't go directly to the door, but I wouldn't call that a "minidungeon", I would call that just "a puzzle", and that's something every Zelda game does, not only Skyward.

However, the greatest dungeons in the series (and I don't think Skyward dungeons are even close of being that) offer both things: a clever room design that offers multiple ways of exploring every area of the temple (giving freedom and disorientation to the player), and intelligent puzzles in each room. When a dungeon is non-linear, the structure of the building becames itself a huge puzzle. That is something that the Zelda franchise doesn't offer since Majora's Mask.

I would love to hear your explentation why Sky Keep isn't exactly what you described.

I noticed you don't seem to juggle multiple keys in dungeons anymore ever since MM. You see that one locked door, rest assured the key to that door must be in the only other room available.

Atrarock

Quick question and wondering if this is alright to ask in this thread and if anyone knows in the first place :

What are the prices on all/some of the items? Or in this case, how much is the most expensive item?

Jb

damn shame the 3ds speakers are sooo terribad... with this music this will probably be the first time I'll use headphones/earbuds...

Really? I can't imagine playing any "real" 3DS/Vta game without earbuds.
On a side note, the game's final hours are really cool :) Always glad when a game ends on a high note.

Quick question and wondering if this is alright to ask in this thread and if anyone knows in the first place :

What are the prices on all/some of the items? Or in this case, how much is the most expensive item?

800/1200

neoism

Really? I can't imagine playing any "real" 3DS/Vta game without earbuds.
On a side note, the game's final hours are really cool :) Always glad when a game ends on a high note.

800/1200

nope never used them on any portable games... the psp's speakers were loud enough... not sure about the vita yet... but 3ds speakers are embarrassing...

I hate how Amazon stopped the release day delivery ($0.99) for all games. Now, it seems to never pop up anymore. That and no taxes meant I shopped at Amazon for damn near every single game purchase. But now that Amazon has tax and no more cheap release day delivery, I have no motivation to use them anymore unless it's just a really good deal. :(

Onikaan

How successful would I be if I went to the Xbone midnight launch and tried to buy ALBW and Mario 3D World? I'm not interested in buying an Xbox.

What is the likely hood that they will laugh in my face? lol

Last November at the Halo 4 Midnight launch we attended, some dude bought Fifa 13.

Wasn't even there for Halo, just walked in, stood in the 20 minute queue with everyone else, purchased his game and left.

I would love to hear your explentation why Sky Keep isn't exactly what you described.

Sky Keep is in fact a non-linear dungeon (the one and only in Skyward Sword), and I think it has a brilliant gameplay mechanic... however, designers didn't know how to really take advantage of it propperly. In addition, the temple itself is just a bunch of puzles exctracted from other levels of the game, so I can't consider that one of the greatest dungeons of the series.

The idea was amazing, but the designers only developed it halfway there.

pariah164

Called my GameStop; they're having a midnight launch for the Xbone, so hopefully, I won't have to deal with too many people when they re-open at 10. I would go to the midnight launch and try to get my copy early, but I enjoy sleep too much.

Kard8p3

So I was looking through recent videos of A Link Between Worlds on youtube hoping to find new tracks and noticed someone uploaded the final boss. I didn't click the video but the thumbnail wasn't fun for me to see at all. So this is a warning to anyone looking through videos for this game.

Rich!

Am I the only one that hooks his 3DS up to his speakers?

When I'm sitting in my living room, hell yeah. I have a really, really long mini jack to phono cable which I plug into my Sony amp.

Whilst everyone else is listening to A Link Between Worlds via the crappy 3DS speakers, I'll be basking in the glory of an absolute wall of sound.

Did anyone pre-order on Amazon? What's your estimated delivery date?

I would think that since Nintendo moved it's games from Sundays to Friday, Amazon would deliver them to me on release date, but I believe it's coming the next week for me.

For some reason, Amazon doesn't have release date delivery for this game and 3D World, even when a game like Tearaway does. It doesn't even have an estimated arrival.

So GAME's CE no longer have DLC right?
267619_gen_a.png

I know it says not final, but *sigh* should have been a preorder bonus just for the treasure chest like everywhere...and Nintendo's store charges full RRP so =S

Also mines shipped (GAME)

KHlover

Banned
I hate how Amazon stopped the release day delivery ($0.99) for all games. Now, it seems to never pop up anymore. That and no taxes meant I shopped at Amazon for damn near every single game purchase. But now that Amazon has tax and no more cheap release day delivery, I have no motivation to use them anymore unless it's just a really good deal. :(

Wow...here in Germany release day delivery is a free bonus and delivery itself also is free for 99% of all Video Games (every article over 20€ and a few special articles like books have free delivery). I legitimately don't know the last time I paid for any delivery from Amazon....

Sucks for you :/

Skyview and Skykeep have got to be two of the worst Zelda dungeons ever made; in particular, I remember the latter pretty much killing what was already a mediocre experience (
like yeah okay I have to assemble the Triforce in a dungeon composed of area rehashes and the lack of a boss. Totally epic and not anti-climatic!
)

I have high hopes for ALBW, though. Sounds like the new direction I was looking for.

Haha!

NSider

Beat the game today with almost 100%, with every possible collectible, full gear, all bottles and all item upgrades, with the exception of 2 pieces of heart (took me
22:17
according to my 3DS
).

The best thing about ALBW is how smooth and fast everything is. Hand-holding is pretty much gone and all hints are placed just out of the way, yet close and accessible using
hint glasses
. The game starts right away with no extended cut-scenes or dialogue at any time (except the ending, I guess). All dungeons are very tightly designed, and moving between rooms is always so fast and easy. There's not any extra fluff or filler to speak of, it's all meaty content plus fun optional stuff that leads to meaningful benefits. Even the collectibles are fun. Most importantly, the controls are the best I've played in a top-down game ever, and it's all at a buttery smooth 60fps.

I think they nailed this new item system (even if the game's economy is a bit weird). I hope they continue on this non-linear direction in future games.

I didn't like the visual style, but I was impressed by some of the stuff you get to see. Especially some bosses.

The music is just incredible. Most of the remixes will make you swoon (the
Dark World remix
especially), and the original stuff is lovely.

Overall: Amazing, amazing game. I can say with absolute certainty that this is the best handheld Zelda game yet, and it's definitely a top tier Zelda and now my current favorite game of this year.

Beat the game today with almost 100%, with every possible collectible, full gear, all bottles and all item upgrades, with the exception of 2 pieces of heart (took me
22:17
according to my 3DS
).

The best thing about ALBW is how smooth and fast everything is. Hand-holding is pretty much gone and all hints are placed just out of the way, yet close and accessible using
hint glasses
. The game starts right away with no extended cut-scenes or dialogue at any time (except the ending, I guess). All dungeons are very tightly designed, and moving between rooms is always so fast and easy. There's not any extra fluff or filler to speak of, it's all meaty content plus fun optional stuff that leads to meaningful benefits. Even the collectibles are fun. Most importantly, the controls are the best I've played in a top-down game ever, and it's all at a buttery smooth 60fps.

I think they nailed this new item system (even if the game's economy is a bit weird). I hope they continue on this non-linear direction in future games.

I didn't like the visual style, but I was impressed by some of the stuff you get to see. Especially some bosses.

The music is just incredible. Most of the remixes will make you swoon (the
Dark World remix
especially), and the original stuff is lovely.

Overall: Amazing, amazing game. I can say with absolute certainty that this is the best handheld Zelda game yet, and it's definitely a top tier Zelda and now my current favorite game of this year.

I've been reading you guys for many years. Love to hear this...ughhhhhhhhhhh so excited!

Did you play Link's Awakening? If so, in what ways is it better than LA? I'll gladly believe you if you think it's better but I'm having a hard time imagining something better :p.

Top Bottom