• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Neiteio

I really did not expect this. Should i buy a 3DS for this game.
Get a 3DS for this game, and Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7, and Pokemon XY, and Fire Emblem Awakening, and Kid Icarus Uprising, and Resident Evil Revelations (portable still the best!), and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Pilotwings Resort, and Ocarina of Time 3D, and Star Fox 64 3D, and Pushmo, and Crashmo, and Harmo Knight, and the Layton games, and...

Santiako

Get a 3DS for this game, and Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7, and Pokemon XY, and Fire Emblem Awakening, and Kid Icarus Uprising, and Resident Evil Revelations (portable still the best!), and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Pilotwings Resort, and Ocarina of Time 3D, and Star Fox 64 3D, and Pushmo, and Crashmo, and Harmo Knight, and the Layton games, and...

... Monster Hunter, and Etrian Odyssey 4, and Etrian Odyssey Untold, and VLR, and Steamworld Dig, and Ghost Recon, and Dream Team Bros, and the three picross e games, and SMT 4, and Bravely Default, and Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Ace Attorney, and...

D-e-f-

Banned
Not necessarily, but
I've beaten the boss in the mountains. It became spring and I won the Goron race to get the gold dust which in turn I can use to get a better sword. But since I was on my third day after going through all of the dungeon, I couldn't get the new sword (too late to order it at the blacksmith), I have to do this after I reset time. But when I did, everything went back to the winter landscape again, which means I have to beat the boss again and clear the boulder in front of the Goron race and win the race again.
It's not really all that motivating.

You know you can slow down time, right?

zroid

Banned

... Monster Hunter, and Etrian Odyssey 4, and Etrian Odyssey Untold, and VLR, and Steamworld Dig, and Ghost Recon, and Dram Team Bros, and the three picross e games, and SMT 4, and Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Ace Attorney, and...

... Rune Factory 4, and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, and Bravely Default, and...

Neiteio

... Monster Hunter, and Etrian Odyssey 4, and Etrian Odyssey Untold, and VLR, and Steamworld Dig, and Ghost Recon, and Dream Team Bros, and the three picross e games, and SMT 4, and Bravely Default, and Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Ace Attorney, and...

... Rune Factory 4, and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, and Bravely Default, and...

Rhythm Thief, Theatrhythm, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Senran Kagura Burst, Paper Mario Sticker Star..
This goddamn dream machine.

Dungeons are the one aspect where the series has only become better and better (and one of the reasons I don't understand how Majora's Mask can be held so highly). Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword's dungeons were great.

It depends on what do you think a great dungeon is.

I particurlarly think a great dungeon is a big building with a complex structure and a non-linear design where the map iself becomes a huge puzzle and I have to explore with freedom in order to proceed. For me, a dungeon is quite an event, so when I'm inside one of them I need to feel not only in a place where I have to solve puzzles, but also a maze where I'm disoriented and in constant danger (that's why I think the non-linearity is essential).

So, with that in mind, I can't really say I've played any clever or great dungeon since Majora's Mask (which had both in its dungeons: great structure and great puzzles). Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword had some temples with fresh ideas for puzzles, but both of them weren't as good as Ocarina and Majora in a matter of structure (specially Skyward Sword, which was a disaster, because it presents a series of puzles one after another in a straight line, but there's not really any interaction with the building itself. The map is a lie, you can only go straight ahead).

With that in mind, other people may think that what makes a dungeon great is another bunch of things (just puzzles, spectacularity, aesthetic ambience...), so they can really think Skyward or Wind Waker have great temples, which is fine with me. It is just that I miss Majora's an Ocarina's way to design temples.

Smellycat

Tominaga: Without letting myself be constrained by the world of The Legend of Zelda, I made a few small dungeons with entering-the-wall ideas I came up with, and then about May of 2012, I presented them to Miyamoto-san saying that I would be making 50 more of these dungeons where you used the entering-walls ability.

Iwata: What was Miyamoto-san's reaction?

Tominaga: He tore it up! (laughs)

Miyamoto is so mean
KuGsj.gif

RagnarokX

Well there we go. We can finally end the debate over whether this started out as a remake or not; it did not.

VQ7HoPo.jpg

They came up with the wall idea first, and they were originally planning it to be another Wind Waker game.

Iwata: What was Miyamoto-san's reaction?

Tominaga: He tore it up! (laughs)

Shikata: Again! (laughs)

Everyone: (laughs)

Tominaga: But he didn't just criticize, he also gave us a hint. He suggested basing it on The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Iwata: That was when A Link to the Past first came into the picture?

Tominaga: Yes. And right after Aonuma-san said, "What if we base it on A Link to the Past, and try pairing entering walls with a point of view looking down from directly overhead?"

Iwata: So you based it on A Link to the Past because of suggestions from Miyamoto-san and Aonuma-san?

Tominaga: Yes.

Aonuma: Actually, Miyamoto-san had been challenging me to do something ever since the Nintendo 3DS came out. He suggested making a 2D Zelda game like A Link to the Past playable in stereoscopic 3D.

Iwata: Oh.

Aonuma: But simply taking a 2D game and making it 3D isn't interesting at all.

Iwata: It's just like, "We made this 3D."

Aonuma: Right. That was a problem we were facing for a while and I wondered what to do. Then, when I first saw Shikata-san's gameplay of entering walls, I was surprised, but as we played for a while from an overhead, diagonal angle view like in Spirit Tracks, that surprise faded after a time.

Iwata: Why was that?

Aonuma: It didn't look different enough when you entered the wall. Then, as I was discussing various things with Tominaga-san, we considered placing the camera directly overhead and fixing it there, and we made a test version. It felt really intriguing when Link entered a wall and the view switched from a top-down view to a side view. Miyamoto-san had given us the task of turning 2D Zelda into stereoscopic 3D, so...

Iwata: It connected with that.

Aonuma: Right. It fit perfectly, and I thought, "This is it!" I also suggested to everyone that we should use the landforms from A Link to the Past instead of starting from scratch.

Iwata: Did anyone say that it would turn out like a remake even though you had this new idea of entering walls?

Aonuma: They did. Everyone gets skeptical when they simply hear about it in words.

Iwata: Sure.

Aonuma: So I used a tool myself to render the landforms of A Link to the Past into 3D.

Iwata: You did that yourself? (laughs)

Aonuma: Yeah. It took about three days.

Tominaga: I think it took a little longer...

Aonuma: Did it? (laughs) I wasn't sure it was right for a producer to go that far, but I thought showing the actual thing would be more convincing and made three-dimensional landforms. I had them place Link and move him around. When they saw that they all marveled out loud and were convinced that it works. When we showed it to Miyamoto-san, he finally gave the okay. About when was that?

Tominaga: It was two months after Miyamoto-san ripped it apart in May of 2012. The first presentation was no good, the second one was okay, the third was no good, and the fourth was okay, so it went through a cycle of bad to good.

Iwata: This project was both trashed and praised. (laughs)

Tominaga: Yeah! (laughs)

I really think Link's Awakening has WAY better dungeons than A Link to the Past

I liked LA's dungeons for the most part but seriously, the amount of times they used "Find the bombable wall with no identifiable marking" as a substitute for a real puzzle was pretty damn lazy. Fantastic game other than that, but dungeon wise it's weaker than a lot of the other Zeldas.

Albo

Aonuma: They did. Everyone gets skeptical when they simply hear about it in words.

Iwata: Sure.

Aonuma: So I used a tool myself to render the landforms of A Link to the Past into 3D.

Iwata: You did that yourself? (laughs)

Aonuma: Yeah. It took about three days.

Tominaga: I think it took a little longer...

Aonuma: Did it? (laughs) I wasn't sure it was right for a producer to go that far, but I thought showing the actual thing would be more convincing and made three-dimensional landforms. I had them place Link and move him around. When they saw that they all marveled out loud and were convinced that it works. When we showed it to Miyamoto-san, he finally gave the okay. About when was that?

Tominaga: It was two months after Miyamoto-san ripped it apart in May of 2012. The first presentation was no good, the second one was okay, the third was no good, and the fourth was okay, so it went through a cycle of bad to good.

Iwata: This project was both trashed and praised. (laughs)

Tominaga: Yeah! (laughs)
[/I]

Lol, These guys just blow each other up left and right. Love the banter.

Even though I loved it back in the day, I finally completed Zelda LTTP tonight. It gets tricky near the end

Ah it feels good to check off one of my gaming regrets

Even though I loved it back in the day, I finally completed Zelda LTTP tonight. It gets tricky near the end

Ah it feels good to check off one of my gaming regrets
My copy was stolen as I was on the penultimate dungeon in the dark world. And this was after I had to replay it all over again because my file got randomly deleted. I need to play it a third time. :(

pariah164

I wish these were videos. Iwata Asks segments are awesome, but videos would be sooo much better. Especially since Aonuma is an adorkable manchild.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just for shit and giggles they should mention on the picture that A Link Between Worlds has a higher Metacritic score than any PS4 and Xbox One launch titles.

KU_

Haven't played my 3DS in literally almost a year, but I will be dusting it off for this gem. Perfect game to get me back into playing handhelds.

I took Friday and Saturday off from work to play this and Mario (also to hang out with friends to play 4 player Mario on Saturday)

I'm also unexpectedly off on Thursday, so I'll most likely be playing through Link to the Past for the millionth time (it deserves it) in anticipation for Friday.

I haven't been this excited for a new game since Smash Bros Brawl back in 2008.

I don't think I've been so hyped for a Zelda game ever. Reading through the entirety of Iwata Asks my hype level is nearing critical mass. Can't wait to pick this up on Friday.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Still waiting for my Gamestop e-mail to say it's ready to go. I got a feeling it might not ship till Friday which means probably Monday/Tuesday depending for me.

RyanDG

Man... To be honest, I didn't think a Zelda game would be enough to get me to buy another Nintendo console/handheld. Just haven't been a huge fan of the series since the move to 3D, even though I've purchased every one of them. But the reviews on this one have been enough to really get me interested again. Dammit Nintendo. Just when I thought I was done, you do something that is sucking me back in.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've never seen those pics of ALBW showing everything is angled so that it appears right when viewed from above.

Amazing! XD

Christopher

Ugh I dont like the over world light world theme...the SNES one sounds so much better it feels so processed to me. I think its missing "trumpet" sound the SNES one had.

Its still my favorite overworld theme outside of majoras mask

Top Bottom