• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

NSider

Looking forward to this, awaiting to hear from ShopTo that they've shipped it.

I just have a concern that it's too open. I like having a logical order to proceed :/

I've been playing it at the same time as a friend of mine. It was really fun to compare and ask about the benefits of playing some dungeons earlier than others. Turns out I got lucky with the first two dungeons I went through (because
I got some items that help a lot with upgrading my arsenal
), but others may prefer to start with different dungeons for different reasons (like
getting items that increase Link's attack and/or defense
).

There's no way to know beforehand unless you ask a friend or consult a guide. I had the benefit of the former, and that definitely helped me choose which dungeons to prioritize.

The game kind of gives you a way to see a sorted (?) list of available dungeons:
just speak to the Fortune Teller in Lorule

If it's anything like Pokemon ShopTo will ship Wednesday.

I've been playing it at the same time as a friend of mine. It was really fun to compare and ask about the benefits of playing some dungeons earlier than others. Turns out I got lucky with the first two dungeons I went through (because
I got some items that help a lot with upgrading my arsenal
), but others may prefer to start with different dungeons for different reasons (like
getting items that increase Link's attack and/or defense
).

I love the open nature of it. Will be a lot of fun picking and choosing where to go next. Next up; Zelda roguelike please! The pieces are all there.

georly

Went to wal-mart this morning and they had the ALBW 3ds xl out on the shelf. Asked them to ring it up for me, but was told the computer wouldnt let them. :( I tried to convince them to let me pick it up because i was 'going to be out of the country', but still no go. Oh well. Guess i'll wait for friday. They had 4 on the shelf, but that's because that's all they had room for, so maybe they have more in the back.

My Nintendo Store ordered just shipped. You can tell it's TheHut from the style of the mail.

This may be the one and only time I go with "Nintendo Store". Worth it for the Chest this time round.

Mine shipped too, no idea when it will actually turn up since it's run by TheHut group..

Sigma722

Went to wal-mart this morning and they had the ALBW 3ds xl out on the shelf. Asked them to ring it up for me, but was told the computer wouldnt let them. :( I tried to convince them to let me pick it up because i was 'going to be out of the country', but still no go. Oh well. Guess i'll wait for friday. They had 4 on the shelf, but that's because that's all they had room for, so maybe they have more in the back.

It's extra BS since the game download is likely locked until Friday anyways. So they are blocking the sale of a system that's out. I know I know, I'm just making excuses.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My Nintendo Store ordered just shipped. You can tell it's TheHut from the style of the mail.

This may be the one and only time I go with "Nintendo Store". Worth it for the Chest this time round.
Well hopefully I get my email soon. Apparently it is still awaiting dispatch. Was a bit worried they'd be really fussy and not ship early in fear of being seen as breaking the street date themselves (even if they are working through The Hut)

Beat the game, I think I'm missing two heart pieces and a bottle. Looking for those Maiamai was really fun but right now I have no idea where the heart pieces could be.

The main dungeons have some really clever puzzles. They're shorter, but mere traversal is really kept to a minimum. Also as we suspected while you can go through them in any order, there really is an order that makes things easier, and I'm pretty sure I fucked that up big time. XD

Difficulty was alright though I didn't pick any full heart containers. I like how enemies actually attack instead of standing around like they do in most 3D games.

Beat the game, I think I'm missing two heart pieces and a bottle. Looking for those Maiamai was really fun but right now I have no idea where the heart pieces could be.

The main dungeons have some really clever puzzles. They're shorter, but mere traversal is really kept to a minimum. Also as we suspected while you can go through them in any order, there really is an order that makes things easier, and I'm pretty sure I fucked that up big time. XD

Difficulty was alright though I didn't pick any full heart containers. I like how enemies actually attack instead of standing around like they do in most 3D games.

Hoy many Heart Containers are in the game? Just 24 like in AlttP?

Vidiot

Paid my preorder off in full today. Gonna go grab it on my lunch break Friday. Does gamestop still do that half price for the guide book thing at the time of picking up the game?

No problem, I always keep my original layered documents. ...my job's habit.
3mYnjWK.jpg

Thank you, kind bearded spirit!:)

m0t0k1

Wait, what?
I'm about to buy a 3ds and Saturn had this for 29€?
:(

dutch saturn is having a sale of buy 2 get 3. But their website cant do that like in stores so they just give everygame this week a 33% discount so it comes down to €29 that way. Got only zelda now see if the delivery is good.

Effect

I notice that Best Buy is offering the free download code for the Zelda Oracle game. Does anyone know if you get the free code if you buy the 3DS XL Zelda: A Link Between Worlds bundle?

Grizzo

I received the game today and it's truly a great one. I'm loving it so far.

Also, I think I finally fell in love with the graphic style, even though I thought it looked ugly when we first knew about it.

maxcriden

Not necessarily, but
I've beaten the boss in the mountains. It became spring and I won the Goron race to get the gold dust which in turn I can use to get a better sword. But since I was on my third day after going through all of the dungeon, I couldn't get the new sword (too late to order it at the blacksmith), I have to do this after I reset time. But when I did, everything went back to the winter landscape again, which means I have to beat the boss again and clear the boulder in front of the Goron race and win the race again.
It's not really all that motivating.

Ah, I forgot all about that. Not that motivating, indeed!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ah, I forgot all about that. Not that motivating, indeed!

I've got the sword now, so I hope I don't have to do it again. Really, from what I've played so far, the game would be a lot better if they'd just let you keep all items when you reset time (though that might lead to some inconsistencies in the world). Other than that I really like it.

D-e-f-

Banned
Hi there,

Great news! Your order has been dispatched and will be delivered soon.

Please note that Pre-orders will be processed ready for delivery on the release date.

YES! Hopefully it makes its way across the English Channel quickly and gets here by Friday! Though, realistically, Saturday is more likely. Can deal with that.

Grizzo

FQenzrel.jpg

Is it true France and Germany are getting just 1000
jnJzJcS.png
and you have to register the game on their respective Club Nintendo sites as fast as possible to have a chance of getting one? :/

Woah I didn't know about that ! When I pre-ordered it, it said that I would get a free musical chest with the game but then my copy came in today and I didn't get anything with it.

I'm quite happy with just owning the game alone but this would have been a great bonus gift. I'll try to register it later tonight to see if I can get it anyway !

Woah I didn't know about that ! When I pre-ordered it, it said that I would get a free musical chest with the game but then my copy came in today and I didn't get anything with it.

I'm quite happy with just owning the game alone but this would have been a great bonus gift. I'll try to register it later tonight to see if I can get it anyway !

You can't register yet. I think you have to wait until Nov 21 midnight.

Neiteio

The GameTrailers video review (9.8!!) had me rocking back and forth in my seat in delicious anticipation. This game has achieved IRRESISTABLE STATUS. Such incredible variety in item usage, puzzling and traversal; PLENTY of variety in dungeons and the dual worlds; some tantalizing out-of-the-way secrets and side-quests and mini-games and oddball NPCs; some of the best-looking bosses in the series (I was particularly impressed with the
giant knight hand you trick into punching the walls in order to stun it and expose the eye in its palm
, and what appears to be a
new gem-encrusted take on the Helmasaur King
). Everything looks great. Everything, graphics included! This is the game that brings me back to Zelda. I'm not even a fan of ALttP, but this game smacks of the snappy pacing and punchy gameplay loop that made Link's Awakening so intoxicating. Pure distilled Zelda, even as it inverts and subverts various well-worn structures. OH MAN!

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of guys came to pick up their copy today at work (french store). I so jelly.

I could have a review code but I really want that boxed version. Don't even have enough bloody room on my poor 4GB card to install it.

Tookay

No, they weren't. The design and the concept is great but when a dungeon is so easy that I can play through on my first playtrough without thinking or get stuck I can't describe them as good dungeons.

I can, because they were logical and flowed well.

The emphasis on "getting stuck" some fans have as an indicator of dungeon quality seems more like an excuse for bad game design because a game didn't properly telegraph what you were supposed to do through the reiteration of its mechanics/items.

DaBoss

I can, because they were logical and flowed well.

The emphasis on "getting stuck" some fans have as an indicator of dungeon quality seems more like an excuse for bad game design because a game didn't properly telegraph what you were supposed to do through the reiteration of its mechanics/items.
Right on the mark, this has been really annoying when reading many Zelda criticisms. Getting stuck does not mean the dungeon is good or indicates its quality.

To echo what others have been saying: it really does make quite a big difference which order you choose to tackle the Lorule dungeons in. You get various upgrades in them, and which ones you get first have quite a large bearing on how you tackle the rest of the game. Having no friends playing the game and no FAQs, I got quite lucky in this regard. At any rate, I already know which dungeon I'm taking on first in my Hero Mode playthrough for exactly this reason!

I finished the game with 19 Heart Containers/four Heart Pieces still missing, though, and I can't even begin to guess where they might be. I suppose I'll just have to wait for a guide to go up after the game comes out!

damn i want this, but i told myself i'd beat all mainline zeldas this year and i still have spirit tracks & oracle of ages on deck...

Definitely don't neglect Spirit Tracks. It's secretly an excellent Zelda game in its own right and a million times better than Phantom Hourglass, despite what you'll hear from a lot of sources!

Some days ago somebody said that he had finished the game in both Normal and Hero modes, but that he had unlocked something that would keep him playing for a while (so he couldn't say he had finished the game 100%). It is already known what was all that about? Because I haven't heard anything about it in any other review or comment...

I don't think that guy ever specified what he was talking about. Sadly, I think he may have only been referring to the
StreetPass feature. It has 50 achievements tied to it, and when you look at the list of them it's obvious it'll take quite awhile to get them all.
I'd be shocked if completing that unlocked anything else, though.

Gigglepoo

I finished the game with 19 Heart Containers/four Heart Pieces still missing, though, and I can't even begin to guess where they might be. I suppose I'll just have to wait for a guide to go up after the game comes out!

I still had three unused item slots! Also, it took me 21:45 to finish the game. Without any filler, it was the perfect length.

Top Bottom