• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

I still had three unused item slots! Also, it took me 21:45 to finish the game. Without any filler, it was the perfect length.

Yeah, I did too! I'm not sure, but I think the empty item slots you're left with at the end of the game may be there to make the quick-item selection feature a little more customizable. I highly doubt there are actually three other full-use items we didn't find.

Oh man I was with you right up until that point.

Eh, different strokes for different folks. I was one of the few that didn't dislike traversing the overworld by train (that music!), but more than that, I thought the dungeons were great and there was an uncommonly genuine charm and weight to the storytelling that really made me care about the characters even more than I usually do. The Wind Waker world/timeline is my favorite in the series to begin with, and I loved its poignant nods to the characters and events of The Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass with a simultaneous hopeful look forward into an uncertain future. The soundtrack is also, in my opinion, one of the strongest in the series' history (though it came out before Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds, mind you).

Had 4 early copies come in at work today

I left my bank card at home

I+remember+that+feel.+I+ll+stop+remembering+it+after+12+_7da9364ae7aa7fbb0b78c31806207b87.jpg

Why don't you just go back!?

Eh, different strokes for different folks. I was one of the few that didn't dislike traversing the overworld by train (that music!), but more than that, I thought the dungeons were great and there was an uncommonly genuine charm and weight to the storytelling that really made me care about the characters even more than I usually do. The Wind Waker world/timeline is my favorite in the series to begin with, and I loved its poignant nods to the characters and events of The Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass with a simultaneous hopeful look forward into an uncertain future. The soundtrack is also, in my opinion, one of the strongest in the series' history (though it came out before Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds, mind you).
The Flute minigame was so frustrating I couldn't even progress. And the rest was just a slightly polished Phantom Hourglass...

Indeed. Phantom Hourglass was the better game.

... which was terrible :p

georly

Anyone know of a good 3ds xl case that will fit the zelda 3ds xl + protective cover?

I got this guy

Most reviews i've read say the 3ds xl cases are either garbage, or fit them 'snug', which means that one w/ a protective cover likely won't fit. Any recommendations?

The Flute minigame was so frustrating I couldn't even progress.

Strange, I never had any problem with the flute and rather enjoyed it as something silly. I know others had trouble with it, though. Same thing happened to me with Skyward Sword. I had my complaints about it, but none of them stemmed from the motion controls, which worked like a dream for me... but others complained that they were outright broken, with Link wildly swinging his sword in random directions. I dunno!

ape2man

Get a 3DS for this game, and Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7, and Pokemon XY, and Fire Emblem Awakening, and Kid Icarus Uprising, and Resident Evil Revelations (portable still the best!), and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Pilotwings Resort, and Ocarina of Time 3D, and Star Fox 64 3D, and Pushmo, and Crashmo, and Harmo Knight, and the Layton games, and...

... Monster Hunter, and Etrian Odyssey 4, and Etrian Odyssey Untold, and VLR, and Steamworld Dig, and Ghost Recon, and Dream Team Bros, and the three picross e games, and SMT 4, and Bravely Default, and Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Ace Attorney, and...

... Rune Factory 4, and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, and Bravely Default, and...

Rhythm Thief, Theatrhythm, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Senran Kagura Burst, Paper Mario Sticker Star..

This goddamn dream machine.

That is quite a list. But they cant be all that good. thats like saying 3DS > SNES

I made a video about how A Link Between Worlds avoids the mistakes of so many modern Zelda games, if you're interested:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-best-zelda-in-years/2300-6416229/

Sorry for promoting. I'm just really giddy about this game.

Ok, im now buying this game plus machine. HYPEDDDD!!!!!!

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I went to EBGames tonight to pre-order 2 copies of ALBW (one for a friend) and a copy of 3D World, just to be safe I'll get one on Day One.

I had a preeeettyyyyy interesting conversation with the GameStop Clerk:

Clerk: We open at 8 on Friday, so you can get your stuff then.
Me: Oh, I won't be able to make it before noon, either way. Expecting a lot of people for the Xbox One launch?
Clerk: Tell you the truth, we don't have that much pre-orders for Xbox One.
Me: Really?
Clerk: We have more pre-orders for the Zelda 3DS Bundles than Xbox One consoles.
Me: No way.
Clerk: We're expecting to sell more Zelda and Mario. Sony already destroyed Microsoft with the PS4, now Nintendo's coming to finish the job.
Me: Wow!

And I'm not talking about some EBGames in the middle of nowhere, I'm talking Downtown Montreal, in a mall on one of its busiest streets.

So I went to EBGames tonight to pre-order 2 copies of ALBW (one for a friend) and a copy of 3D World, just to be safe I'll get one on Day One.

Me: Oh, I won't be able to make it before noon, either way. Expecting a lot of people for the Xbox One launch?
Clerk: We have more pre-orders for the Zelda 3DS Bundles than Xbox One consoles.
Clerk: We're expecting to sell more Zelda and Mario. Sony already destroyed Microsoft with the PS4, now Nintendo's coming to finish the job.

And I'm not talking about some EBGames in the middle of nowhere, I'm talking Downtown Montreal, in a mall on one of its busiest streets.

Holy shit, that's kind of awesome. I very rarely go to GameStop anymore and when I do, I'm disgusted by the anti-Nintendo sentiment I usually get from the employees therein, so this is a pretty cool (and unexpected) anecdote.

Sane_Man

So are people who ordered from Shopto expecting to get their orders on Thursday? Do they usually ship 3DS games a day early? I'm trying to work out if I should book Thursday and Friday or Friday and Monday off of work...

I know someone working for Gamestop and he told me they got ten PS4 pre-orders for each XB1 pre-order, that sounds pretty bad. /very off topic

Teknoman

I can see that happening. The whole "no used games thing" is still stuck in the general gaming public's mind. Some people still think you have to download PS4 games.

BooJoh

My Zelda preorder still says that they need more time to give me an estimate while my 3D World preorder is estimated to arrive next Tuesday. I'm not sure what to do..

I was in the same situation. For SM3DW I just went into change shipping speed, left it on 2-day and hit confirm, and it changed the estimated delivery to Friday. Zelda is a different story though.

I ordered both games on Nov 5th. Around a week ago Amazon removed the item page for Zelda and put up a new one. At that point my Zelda order was actually giving me a 404 if I clicked the product name in my order details. After a couple days it fixed to redirect my order links to the new Zelda page, but it still says it needs more time, it's listed as "Not Yet Shipped" instead of "Pre-Ordered" and when I go to the Zelda page - even from the link in my order details - it doesn't say "Instant Order Update. You purchased this item on November 5, 2013." like SM3DW does. I think I'll cancel and re-order Zelda just to see if it fixes things.

I don't mind if I get Zelda next week since I'll be playing Mario first, but the whole thing seems to have bugged out based on them making a new page for the item.

EDIT: So I went ahead and cancelled and re-ordered Zelda. It now says "Instant Order Update. You purchased this item on November 19, 2013." but everything else is still the same. "Not Yet Shipped" and "DELIVERY ESTIMATE We need a little more time." Since the game is in high demand hopefully I didn't just bump myself out of the first shipment, but whatever.

Okay, so I noticed that LttP is the Club Nintendo reward right now, so I went ahead and got it to warm myself up for LBW.

And holy shit, I really, really, really hate the combat in this game. Link's Sword just... doesn't hit shit on a whim. Literally the only time you can half rely on his sword hitting someone when you swing it is if they are in the exact square in front of you perfectly. Little bit to the right? Lol, why ya swingin' bro? Little bit to the left? Hey I heard you like wasting your time swinging your sword while I hit you anyway.
It's seriously frustrating that you can clearly just... watch the sword phase through them. Because they aren't in the straight middle in front of you. Not to mention this makes flying tile rooms obnoxiously harmful.

I really hope that they didn't retain that for ALBW, because there's so many times I've died due to losing half my health on this shit.

This might be the first time that I'm actually kinda hype for a Zelda game.

Though my impression on the wall hugging is that I still don't care for it.

Smellycat

The wait is killing me. I am buying this before SM3DW.

Simply because of 2 reasons:

1) I won't have my Wii U next week.
2) I am more of a hanheld gamer these days

Effect

I wish they would keep this Zelda bundle as an ongoing product instead of a limited edition. I want to get it but I don't think I can swing it and get Mario 3D World at the same time and I want to play both. The discount is good and I wish I could get it from Amazon.com where I have credit to lessen the price.

Neiteio

tell me how spoilery it is and I'll maybe go for it
Not spoilery. There's like a nanosecond glimpse of some elderly character who is probably important, but I didn't even have time to read what he/she was saying. Other than that it's mainly overworld and dungeon shenanigans. I don't think they showed bosses, either. It's a good watch, give it a whirl. :)

afoni

Banned
Not spoilery. There's like a nanosecond glimpse of some elderly character who is probably important, but I didn't even have time to read what he/she was saying. Other than that it's mainly overworld and dungeon shenanigans. I don't think they showed bosses, either. It's a good watch, give it a whirl. :)

I listened to it instead and it's pretty much just echoed exactly what I'm expecting the game to be. I am looking FORWARD TO IT.

Except Spirit Tracks didn't suck and whoever thinks that should feel bad.

afoni

Banned
Was able to get my Amazon preorder to release date delivery! I'm excited to get both this and 3D World in 2 days!!!

europe gets a better deal than you guys, if only because we get a week to appreciate one game before the next one drops

yup

better deal

not mad about it at all

RagnarokX

The Flute minigame was so frustrating I couldn't even progress. And the rest was just a slightly polished Phantom Hourglass...

... which was terrible :p

The flute was okay. I played Spirit Tracks on an original DS where the mic placement made playing it much harder and the only part I struggled on was the sand song. Definitely would have preferred something better, but it didn't ruin the game.

The rest of the game is great, though. Good dungeons, good story, best Princess Zelda, one of the best soundtracks.

Cody_D165

Banned
That Gamespot video reminded me just how much I love top-down Zelda games (which are the best kind of Zelda games, imo).

I still can't decide whether to play this or 3D World first, though :(

Effect

Anyone think there will be any issue walking into stores on Friday and grabbing a copy off the shelf? Same with 3D World? Shipping from Amazon will take to long for my liking.

Lunar15

That was a cool video, and it totally makes me hyped for this game. Kind of weird to shit on perfectly excellent games in the series in order to make that point, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't completely agree with the "but" issue with modern Zeldas.

Ironically, there's a bit of a contradiction: SS's areas were filled with secrets and puzzles. They really were a good step forward in my opinion. The filler came through the repeated boss fights and the tears (which, I'll admit, I enjoyed that part). But in order to achieve that they sacrificed that open feeling, and people reacted negatively. I don't blame fans for that. However, I can see the line of thinking from inside Nintendo, and the progression from SS to ALBW. I think they've been pushing to have a more compelling overworld, but haven't quite figured out how to do it. Moving away from OOT's design and more towards ALTTP's design is definitely the way to do it, though.

Neiteio

That was a cool video, and it totally makes me hyped for this game. Kind of weird to shit on perfectly excellent games in the series in order to make that point, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't completely agree with the "but" issue with modern Zeldas.

Ironically, there's a bit of a contradiction: SS's areas were filled with secrets and puzzles. They really were a good step forward in my opinion. The filler came through the repeated boss fights and the tears (which, I'll admit, I enjoyed that part). But in order to achieve that they sacrificed that open feeling, and people reacted negatively. Don't blame fans for that. However, I can see the line of thinking from inside nintendo, and the progression from SS to ALBW. I think they've been pushing to have a more compelling overworld, but haven't quite figured out how to do it. Moving away from OOT's design and more towards ALTTP's design is definitely the way to do it, though.
Yep, I think it's about layering the overworld in such a way that it forms one colossal puzzle for progression, while at the same time remaining open for exploration and the discovery of secrets.

Hello.

Banned
Okay, so I noticed that LttP is the Club Nintendo reward right now, so I went ahead and got it to warm myself up for LBW.

And holy shit, I really, really, really hate the combat in this game. Link's Sword just... doesn't hit shit on a whim. Literally the only time you can half rely on his sword hitting someone when you swing it is if they are in the exact square in front of you perfectly. Little bit to the right? Lol, why ya swingin' bro? Little bit to the left? Hey I heard you like wasting your time swinging your sword while I hit you anyway.
It's seriously frustrating that you can clearly just... watch the sword phase through them. Because they aren't in the straight middle in front of you. Not to mention this makes flying tile rooms obnoxiously harmful.

I really hope that they didn't retain that for ALBW, because there's so many times I've died due to losing half my health on this shit.
Ah, so I wasn't the only one who hated this or noticed it. I tried playing ALttP and hated this so much I quit. I recently coped with it as it takes a while to learn, but it is annoying for a lot of the game.

You'll be happy to know this doesn't happen in Between Worlds. The range of Link's sword is actually the length of his sword, not a small square like ALttP. You'll notice this by comparing spin attacks of both games.

Rhapsody

Banned
LttP was my first Zelda that I've beaten as a kid. I never found the sword hitbox annoying though.

Because of this, this made me think the sword's range in the GB Zelda's were way too good lol

Hello.

Banned
LttP was my first Zelda that I've beaten as a kid. I never found the sword hitbox annoying though.

Because of this, this made me think the sword's range in the GB Zelda's were way too good lol
Anyone whose first 2D Zelda was ALttP wouldn't have found it annoying, of course. There would be nothing to compare it to. I never played ALttP until a few months ago, so I found his hitbox annoying compared to the other Zelda games.

Top Bottom