• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

I spent a bit of time trying to find where to rent stuff. The sign said south of the castle but the only noticeable place south of the castle was my house...

Then I remembered that the dudes name was Ravio...

Ravio, you son of a bitch!

ramyeon

This game! So much nostalgia. The music, the characters, the locations. Damn. It's also really fluid and fun so far - only just started. Oozes personality too. To think this is the game everyone was criticizing back when it was first revealed haha.

afoni

Banned
I have only one issue with the game so far, but that might end up becoming a non-issue as I play through more dungeons. I've only done 2 dungeons in Lorule at the moment, so I'll see if the next one changes this issue.

Mistle

You know that loud snap sound the 3DS XL makes every time you open it up? The Zelda 3DS XL is MUCH quieter.

I had a launch model blue XL which was loud as hell. I sent it to Nintendo Australia to fix unrelated problems (dust under screen) and they just sent back a new model instead.

I don't know if it's refurbished or if it's brand new, but the snap is much quieter now. In fact it's not really a snap at all, just a smooth sound of the hinge falling into place. Makes me wonder if they have actually fixed it with newer models, or if it's just a case-to-case basis.

Genuinely considering trading in my 2DS for a 3DS XL due to the number of reviewers saying the 3D is needed to play this game. Would people in here agree that it's worth it for that, or does that seem unwaranted just for a couple of games (I've already finished Mario Land 3D and have Mario and Luigi + Ocarina to play)

Stoof

Just made it to
Lorule and that overworld theme is amazing
, holy shit. This game is so good, it's crazy how great of a year this has been for 3DS.

Huh, noticed something cool
In Skull Woods, before you go upstairs in one of the rooms, did anyone notice the eyes beside the door are kind of Majora-like?

Just got the bundle (199 Canadian at Walmart, woo) and borrowed my friend's 3D Land. Ready for dat 3DS love-in.

Both games are awesome sauce. This one is a big nostalgia bath so far (in a good way -- only 2 dungeons in). Lurve it.

The Lamp

Genuinely considering trading in my 2DS for a 3DS XL due to the number of reviewers saying the 3D is needed to play this game. Would people in here agree that it's worth it for that, or does that seem unwaranted just for a couple of games (I've already finished Mario Land 3D and have Mario and Luigi + Ocarina to play)

The 3D in this game is great. Really adds to it in my opinion.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's hard to deny that the game is ridiculously fluid to a point where every single time you launch it you may be surprised at the motion of the characters and world. It's also very hard to imagine ever going behind 60fps again on a universal Zelda title.

So far I feel uneasy to try and define my exact feelings behind this game outside of pure joy. The similarities behind A Link to the Past, a game that I hold respectfully high above my head as one of the greatest I've ever played, are met with a kindred soul in the familiar exploration of the new in A Link Between Worlds. Yet I acknowledge that it is those moments of exchange when a person may enter the Eastern Palace for the first time and note the repeating dark bubbles of bloom in the main corridor, only for the dungeon to flip you over in to strange and unfamiliar lands after you waltz in to the next wing. It's a strange yet wonderful experience.

And it goes without repeating, the Milk Bar musicians are the hidden gem of the game. I almost fell asleep last night at 1am by repeatedly paying them 10 coins per song with my headphones on in bed. Pure bliss.

But it goes without admitting that I haven't enjoyed as much time as I have with a new Zelda title since the first 5 hours of Ocarina of Time. I was never a stickler for the move in to the 3D sphere of influence, nor the apparition of development behind the handheld games (Link's Awakening withstanding, god forbid I ever shit upon Tezuka's legacy), so it's interesting to note that despite my day one sale status of Zelda titles since evermore that A Link Between Worlds seems to be the only one where I break beyond the halfway completion barrier since Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.

And as an old school fan of Zelda > Mario, despite the reversing of that personal theory since EAD Tokyo arose with Mario Sunshine, that can only mean as a good thing.

pariah164

Having issues with a Maiamai...

Okay, there is a Maiamai atop a tree in the Lost Woods entrance that I cannot get. Common sense dictates to run into the tree, which I have tried, but it doesn't work. Is there an equivalent of the Pegasus Boots in this game or something?

Danny-Boy

You know that loud snap sound the 3DS XL makes every time you open it up? The Zelda 3DS XL is MUCH quieter.

My Zelda 3DS XL makes the loud snap. It sucks. It results in a wobbly screen. I want to exchange it but they're sold out. You'd think they would have fixed the issue by now.

Not

Banned
Three dungeons in. I spent most of the time doing sidequests in Hyrule, which are now mostly immediately available WHATUP. Dat lame reward for 100 second chickendodge

I'm exploring Lorule and I love how I'm already getting hints on how to access separate dungeons. I can CHOOSE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I booted the game up and played for 3 hours without even noticing. D: And my battery light was blinking like crazy. I've never let it get down that low before, but I've also never really been so enthralled in a 3DS game before. Looking like this is going to be my GOTY.

Stoze

Just stopped playing after getting to Lorule. Honestly, the only complaint I can think of is there hasn't been any good treasure inside the dungeons. That may change for the Lorule dunegons though. Other than that, the game is pretty much perfect.

And we all knew the music was good beforehand, but jesus christ I was not prepared for this soundtrack.

Not

Banned
Kinda bummed there are as of yet
no hidden items in the overworld
:( Also hoping we'll
get tunic changes like the first game

Moff

Some other things that bother me:
I wish the witch transport would cost rubies, the game is very ruby focused and I think that would have worked. nintendo, give me at least a little reason to go on foot! it doesnt even take 2 minutes from one end of the map to the other, there is race sideqest that proves this. and why do you even get this so early in the game? this is especially bothering because I already feel that the game is progressing much too fast.

also, at least after the first dungeons, I dont think this game doesnt "take you by the hand" at all, maybe this will change later, but I always knew exactly where to go, its even marked on the map (which is sadly already explored at the start of the game) and as soon as I go somewhere else I get upgrades thrown at me for no effort (yes, the power gloves).

Seda

Completed the first three dungeons, got the
Master Sword
. I enjoy being able to explore the overworld nearly fully from the get-go, and I'm sure there's a few chests and Heart Pieces I have yet to find.

The first three dungeons were really simple, with easy bosses. Early dungeons tend to be that way so I'm not too down on it, but hoping later dungeons notch things up with the puzzles and layout.

Madouu

Stopped at the
master sword
for tonight too. Great stuff so far. I like the small little touches such as
Ravio's ribbons on the items getting removed when you finally buy them.

In the dark palace, what
do the wavy white beams that you can see when the lights are off signify?

Edit: Never-mind, figured out what was going on in that room.

Unicorn

So this is good? I'm still playing as much pokemon Y as the day it came out, so the console launches and any and all games in that same time frame have melted into the ether of time. I don't have the time for this right now, but maybe next year I'll pick it up.

I want to play through LttP again before I do. Would that enhance this game or satisfy the same urge to where I should put some time between the 2 games?

Played for 15 minutes and can't believe hoe beautiful this game is. I guess I got sucked into the idea that this game was te ugliest Zelda to date, but man on man was everyone wrong. This game looks and sounds so fantastic. Can't wait to progress through this :)

Lyonaz

I love this game, tickles my favourite Zelda A Link to the Past fancy. Pure Nostalgia.

I can't believe most of my favourite games this year was released on Nintendo systems.

MGrant

Just finished my first playthrough.

Pros:

+ Game is very addictive; I couldn't put it down.
+ Exploration is fun and engaging.
+ 60 fps is such a welcome addition.
+ Music is incredible.
+ Controls and UI are perfect.
+ Game avoids filler and unnecessary backtracking.
+ Merging with walls is a cool mechanic.
+ Item rental system works well (though you don't need to buy the items because you'll hardly ever die on normal difficulty).

Cons:

- Game is a bit easy on the default difficulty level. I died once. I'm looking forward to Hero Mode.
- Though the dungeons are well-designed, they are way too short.
- Overall game length is also way too short. Would have been the undisputed best top-down Zelda game of all time if it featured perhaps another set of longer, harder dungeons after the seven Lorule dungeons.
- Story is barebones. It's inoffensive and unobtrusive, but it doesn't really explore any of its characters. I'm not sure it would be complete enough to stand on its own for someone who isn't already familiar with Zelda tropes.
- I could have done with a few more kinds of puzzles for some of the items.
- The boomerang is useless. USELESS.

Overall, what a fun game. One of my favorites this year, and a fitting homage to LttP. The only complaint I have is that I don't want it to stop, but it does. It leaves me wanting more, but I'm very much looking forward to replaying it on Hero Mode.

Okay so I beat the first dungeon and while the challenge and new item rental system is quite novel for a Zelda game, I don't really get the insurmountable amount of hype at this point. The game is lacking charm and character, with a generic art style and Link has even less personality than before, which I thought was hard enough to do. Everything feels so arbitrary, without scale and without context.

One might argue that Skyward Sword was waaaaaay too anime/drama/plotsy/cutesy but this game seems to be on the polar opposite side of the spectrum...so far it just feels like a vapid dungeon crawler. I like the villain at least but...I just don't know. Although the puzzles and dungeons are quite clever thus far.

I guess it was designed to be more along the vein of A Link to the Past, which was like this...pure gameplay and meat, very little flash and charisma. So I understand why it is that way. I guess I just actually do enjoy having a bit of flash and charisma in my Zelda games so ALBW feels kind of empty of that. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword each had way more personality than this game so far. This game seems to cater to nostalgia of people who preferred very retro Zelda principles.

But I am truly enjoying the gameplay so far. It just feels like it's missing some flair to its personality.

As someone who played ALTTP ONCE like over 10 years ago and I don't even remember if I finished it, I'm somewhat resistant to the nostalgia as well.

I agree. The game is fantastic to play, just like LTTP, but it's missing the extra Zelda flavour that I love that LA and OoT introduced. Definitely not head over heels in love with it like most as I think having a world in Zelda without interesting NPCs and context isn't enough - it's definitely a sequel to LTTP in that regard as I thought that game was pretty dull outside of dungeon-y stuff.

I agree. The game is fantastic to play, just like LTTP, but it's missing the extra Zelda flavour that I love that LA and OoT introduced. Definitely not head over heels in love with it like most as I think having a world in Zelda without interesting NPCs and world context isn't enough - it's definitely a sequel to LTTP in that regard as I thought that game was pretty dull outside of dungeon-y stuff.

Yeah, I feel the same way. It's very much the NSMB of the Zelda series, only without the shitty music. :p

Dr Dogg

Ravio might just be my favourite Zelda merchant ever. He even calls Link buddy. Much better than that freak Beedle, even if he does thank you.

Just started the game tonight, after playing through the first three worlds of Mario 3D World.

I just got the second of the first group of trinkets you need to collect (keeping it vague, but we all know the formula). Holy shit this game is just what I've wanted from Zelda. It's so mechanically tight, so fun, the story has the perfect amount going on to keep it interesting without boring you. And I always love the "remix" quality that goes with reusing familiar faces in new ways. It reminds me of Majora's Mask in that sense.

Also, the dungeons so far have been incredible. I also did one small sidequest puzzle, and man. The wall-walking ability is stellar, and totally transforms how you think about areas. I fucking love it.

Anyone know what those Manticore like monsters are on
Death Mountain
?
The ones that breath fire that does like 4 hearts of damage to you?
How the heck do you kill them?

MGrant

Anyone know what those Manticore like monsters are on
Death Mountain
?
The ones that breath fire that does like 4 hearts of damage to you?
How the heck do you kill them?

I'd love to know if there is an easier way to kill them, but I've just been slashing them a lot. A LOT. They eventually die.

Porcile

I'm liking the game a lot BUT the rental system has totally trivialised the actual dungeon aspect of the game if you ask me. It doesn't help that so far, the only worthwhile chest items worth getting in a dungeon are the boss key and the compass. Not even a heart-piece from what i've played so far. Personally, I really hope the item rental system doesn't return on Zelda Wii U . It's a decent experiment which has been executed reasonably well for this game but has in the process has negated a lot of the series charm. Especially when it comes to being rewarded with cool new stuff.

afoni

Banned
I'm liking the game a lot BUT the rental system has totally trivialised the actual dungeon aspect of the game if you ask me. It doesn't help that so far, the only worthwhile chest items worth getting in a dungeon are the boss key and the compass. Not even a heart-piece from what i've played so far. Personally, I really hope the item rental system doesn't return on Zelda Wii U . It's a decent experiment which has been executed reasonably well for this game but has in the process has negated a lot of the series charm. Especially when it comes to being rewarded with cool new stuff.

I'm not a big fan of it either, to be honest. However, I have to admit that I like having a dungeon item from the get go. I just wish what you got in the dungeons themselves wasn't pieces of gear that could have just been left hidden elsewhere as an optional upgrade. This isn't even a scratch on the experience though. This game is wonderful.

Danneee

I'm of the completely opposite opinion. The rental system and having most items available at the start of the game negates a lot of the tedium of scouring through the world multiple times after you have acquired a new item.

Moff

I am sure they will drop the rental/buy system in future zeldas. its good for one game but not something that should be a permanent part of the franchise.
personally, I'm a bit conflicted about it, I really dont like how you get everything in this game almost from start for practically nothing, but on the other side I love how rubies are actually worth something this time. it makes the game a little bit grindy, which is a good thing.

oh and I am really glad you dont habe to get wallet upgrades, that would have been terrible here

Top Bottom