• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

pringles

Dang...

Beat the game in one sitting! Very addictive game, nothing made me want to put the game down!

Although it feels a bit too quick of a Zelda game to be on top.
What the.. how long was that sitting?!?

Most games are short if you rush through them, unless this is much, much shorter/easier than ALTTP/LA I won't have a problem with the lenght.

watershed

Banned
Finally bought it. Been playing for a few hours now. The brisk pace makes it really addictive. I feel like I should keep going. Great fun so far.

Rich!

Finished it. Um...in 11 hours.

Ive got 67 maiamais and all but one heart container. Won't take me long to get the rest, and then it's hero mode time!

Could you explain this a bit more? Where do I get the bottles from? How do I put stuff in the bottle?
Thanks,

You have to find the bottles. One is purchasable from the merchant in Kakariko Village. To catch fairies and bees, you need to use the bug catching net which is found in the village too.

Potions are purchasable from the witch's shop in the north east. You need to collect monster parts for her to use.

My main problem is that completing dungeons has no material worth other than to get a minor progression in the story. Now that you can complete them in any order, this amounts to something even less substantial than what it did before. On top of which, there's very little to be expected from a Zelda story these days which can even be considered equal to receiving a new item. Don't get me wrong, the game is mostly superbly executed but the rewards you get are a load of crap.

Agreed, I'm underwhelmed, and I consider LttP probably in top five games of all time. The rental system has neutered the tension of things unfolding; if I want to content tourist Link to the Past I already know how to do that. And then there's meaningless tedium like the Lost Woods tracking puzzle. Miss the guards in town to give a sense of danger. And having warping from the get-go, ugh. If I were a cranky old man I'd say it's LttP for the impatient, everyones-a-winner millennial set.

Finding secrets with the new mechanic is really the only draw here, to see how clever they could be, some of which is quite nice.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Could you explain this a bit more? Where do I get the bottles from? How do I put stuff in the bottle?
Thanks,

Bottle 1: The open air seller in the village.
Bottle 2: Under the castle bridge that you can get to after you learn how to swim.
Bottle 3: In the other world's equivalent of Link's house, you need to bomb the back wall outside to get through.
There are more but I've not found them yet. You get the net from the bee guy in the village.

KHlover

Banned
Buhuhuhuhu, trying to catch a Golden Bee is starting to drive me crazy. I caught enough bees to buy all items but two of them (haven't even entered a single Dark World dungeon) BUT I DON'T GET TO CATCH A FUCKING GOLDEN BEE.

Are they more common in the dark world?

Is it possible to upgrade every item in the game if you collect all the maiamais? Or do you have to pick and choose which ones you upgrade because you run out of those things before you upgrade them all?

Buhuhuhuhu, trying to catch a Golden Bee is starting to drive me crazy. I caught enough bees to buy all items but two of them (haven't even entered a single Dark World dungeon) BUT I DON'T GET TO CATCH A FUCKING GOLDEN BEE.

Damn, I feel like I was really lucky then. I seriously caught a golden bee about an hour into the game. xD It was like the 4th or 5th bee I caught (in the village, SW corner).

You can outright buy one later on for
800+ rupees
. I foolishly did it.

afoni

Banned

You can buy one for 888 rupees somewhere in Lorule. If you desperately want to know where, ask again. I just want to be vague because this game encourages exploring.

KHlover

Banned
Is it possible to upgrade every item in the game if you collect all the maiamais? Or do you have to pick and choose which ones you upgrade because you run out of those things before you upgrade them all?

Damn, I feel like I was really lucky then. I seriously caught a golden bee about an hour into the game. xD It was like the 4th or 5th bee I caught (in the village, SW corner).

Lucky. Since the last post I already caught 5 more bees and made about 320 rupees :/

Thanks,

Before you enter the first dungeon

you can buy one in the market of the village

After clearing the first dungeon

you can swim to one in the bottom right corner of the map then complete the side quest, the other is under the bridge near links home you can swim to it as well

If you want to know how to put things in bottles

talk to the bee guy with an empty bottle or go to the witch hut in the upper right corner

If you can't swim yet

search the upper right corner of the map

Entering a new area and instantly humming the music like it was yesterday is just great! I feel like an immigrant going back home after living my country for 20 years. Things changed but they are still the same streets I grew up in.
Great game.
Albeit a little easy.

KHlover

Banned
You can buy one for 888 rupees somewhere in Lorule. If you desperately want to know where, ask again. I just want to be vague because this game encourages exploring.

Thanks for the offer, but I won't take it. I don't like my Zelda games spoiled :D

afoni

Banned
What reward do you get for the golden bee? I've kept my bottles full of healing items and have been killing all bees

An item that makes all bees allies. When you find bees they will follow you and deal tiny amounts of damage to nearby enemies, flinching them as well.

It is amazing.

afoni

Banned
50 rupees per bee is worth grinding though. Only items left to buy for me now are the Fire and Ice staff. The rest was brought to me by Bee Hunting™

If you kill everything and refuse to miss chests in dungeons, you can get everything pretty easily.

Yuterald

Can't say much else that hasn't already been said. Game's nearly perfect so far. LOVE how fast it moves and the pacing is non-stop. With that said, I went into the whole tool rental thing without over analyzing it leading up to its release and now that I've seen how it works, I'm a bit mixed on the whole system. Just a quick question about it, actually.

Does the game auto-save when you die? The risk/reward of renting everything at once and having the chance of losing it all is kind of irrelevant when you can just hit the Home button and quit the game before you die (kind of the same reasons why I disliked the pay-to-revive system in SMT IV). Unless you honestly accept a death as it's intended by the developers (lol) there's really no risk in just renting everything from the start (if you've got the Rupees).

Dungeon design, so far, while simple and short, is tight, satisfying and cohesive. Only two dungeons in so far, but they've goth scratched those itches well enough.

50 rupees per bee is worth grinding though. Only items left to buy for me now are the Fire and Ice staff. The rest was brought to me by Bee Hunting™

Ive found plenty of money just exploring hyrule and doing side quest, I've already bought 4 items and I've yet to enter a 4th dungeon

Yuterald

Yeah, lol, there's no reason to grind in this game. I've got all rental tools plus 1000 some Rupees sitting in by wallet only after two dungeons and just exploring regularly. I think the rental stuff should have been a bit more expensive. =/

Yeah, lol, there's no reason to grind in this game. I've got all rental tools plus 1000 some Rupees sitting in by wallet only after two dungeons and just exploring regularly. I think the rental stuff should have been a bit more expensive. =/

You can permanently buy the items, and that's a lot more expensive. You can only upgrade items you've bought.

Still, I haven't seen a need to grind anything.

Yuterald

You can permanently buy the items, and that's a lot more expensive. You can only upgrade items you've bought.

Still, I haven't seen a need to grind anything.

Ah, I see. I knew that you could permanently obtain/buy 'em later, but that's good to hear that they're expensive. Good stuff then.

Jobbs

Banned
got started on this game and it didn't take long to have all of my fears alleviated. this is pure nostalgic bliss, and it looks and moves amazingly.

this game is solid. my favorite game as a child was LTTP, and I approve. Go forth.

KHlover

Banned
Is the golden bee noticeable or does it tell you after you've caught it? Sorry if someone already asked this.

It has a golden glow around it. Looks noticably different than a normal bee. If you catch it you get an extra animation of the bee being put in the bottle in your inventory as well as a different notice.

You have access to three bottles when item renting opens up, put two fairies and a red potion and you should never game over

People who comment saying Zelda is easy when it comes to aspects such as enemy damage, IMO the difficulty is down to the player to a certain degree.

For example if your breezing through, simply refrain from collecting heart pieces and potions / fairys? No?

Loving the game though, trying to hunt down the Pegasus boots, killing me lol

Grizzo

So I'm about to finish the game, but I have a little question for those of you who completed the game already :
I have two spaces left in my inventory and I was just wondering if it's meant to be that way or if I missed some items during my quest ?

Is the golden bee noticeable or does it tell you after you've caught it? Sorry if someone already asked this.

Make sure you have an empty bottle available, otherwise Link is going to release it automatically, without even asking you first if you want to make room in one of your bottles (I'm so used to Animal Crossing that I found that weird he wouldn't even ask first).

Sadist

First dungeon in Lorule, pacing is brilliant.

But uh... I chose the bombs...

I'm at the Dark Palace and I've got the bosskey, but I can't access the boss yet. There is something blocking my path which opens when you light up four eyes. Got three of those done, but the last one in the upper left doesn't make sense. For as far I can see, it doesn't have a switch to shine some light upon it. I'm missing something very obvious hehe.

Top Bottom