• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Madouu

Hmm am I the only one that doesn't care much about what the reward in a dungeon is? I've seen quite a few posts mention this but for me getting to every single area in the dungeons is what really interests me. Chests for me are just big markers on my map telling "Hey, this spot is difficult to get to and you have to use the tools at your disposal to get there". So, in a sense, having all mentioned tools in your inventory from the start is more interesting in theory, since you can try to think of different ways of trying to solve a problem. Rupees, hearths or item rewards are very much secondary to me in a Zelda game and that is because of how the dungeons are designed.

The second point I wanted to address is about difficulty. I think the part relating to combat difficulty can certainly be alleviated by having hero mode available from the start. There's still the issue that for us, zelda veterans, we've already developed a bunch of strategies to fight most of the enemies in the game, and these strategies kick in naturally every time we meet the same foes in a new game. I'm sure that for somebody playing this for the first time, it would actually be challenging. The same applies for the puzzoe difficulty, there are some puzzle mechanics that may have taken you quite a bit of time to figure out when we were playing lttp or link's awakening for the first time, but many of these concepts get reused again, even in not exactly the same fashion, and thus don't really pose a challenge to us.

I think difficulty is just as much about damage numbers, puzzle complexity than novelty. I think the series needs a lot more new enemies, new concepts such as the wall merging mechanic, and new items every time. Sadly, that is something thqt is very hard to achieve while keeping a tightly designed game and that would probably scare off a lot of people. So little by little it is.

Personally, I'm pretty much in love with the game. The freedom to explore every nook and cranny from the start is great. The puzzle elements are just as tightly designed as ever. Music and the overall presentation is superb. There's really no reason to not love the game.

With that said, time to get back to Hyrule!

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Aah, when Gulley tells you how to save... that takes me right back to Link's Awakening.

"Hey, man! When you want to save just push all the Buttons at once! Uhh... Don't ask me what that means, I'm just a kid!"

Aah, when Gulley tells you how to save... that takes me right back to Link's Awakening.

"Hey, man! When you want to save just push all the Buttons at once! Uhh... Don't ask me what that means, I'm just a kid!"

Yep, that's a pretty direct reference and one that assured me of the game's direction.

balgajo

Guys, just finished the game.
Did you find any Majora's Mask reference? (Aonuma talked about that but I just saw the mask and milk bar)

Suppose Lorule belongs to Termina. I wonder if Lorule's triforce destruction has something to do with moon falling in Termina. The scene with dark triforce falling on land reminded moon's fall.

neoism

For 500 points there is 3 really nice looking Zelda posters. Ordered them in a heartbeat. Still waiting to pick up my game my though. Since there wasn't a preorder bonus that I could use or a collectors edition I saw no need to pick it up day one. This is actually the first Zelda in years I have done this. Just money tight due to next Gen consoles/games is all.

lol I'll have to wait for the 10 after release survey to have 500 points the posters look nice, but don't think I put them on my wall.. I only have one poster in my room lol <3
iDOS6oTi2gKL3.JPG
wish I still had a good camera lol...
pic

Sadist

I chuckled because of that line. ALBW is pushing all the right retro buttons.

daakusedo

Thinking of it and without having played the game, having a hub where you get your tools then go explore the world makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in zelda on wiiu with maybe a mix of more magical items to get in the dungeons or the overworld.
It also made me think that when entering a dungeon, all I want is getting its item then it can go into fullswing.

Man I'm loving this game so much already. Been through two dungeons so far and it's amazing. All the Link to the Past nostalgia is just...ahhhhh I can't put into words how much this game makes me happy.

Man those Zelda 3DS XLs are soooo nice.

So I tried looking this up but couldn't find any info. If I had a friend that were to get this game, could we use Streetass together? Like battle as Shadow Links? Or is it just random opponents?

Dragoshi1

Started a gamefly free trial, and this game is first in my Q!

It was either this or Mario 3D World, but I eventually will buy this one. The hype for it is too great!

Kater

Banned
Just cleared the first dungeon, really liked the first real fight
with Yuga
. Really liking the fluid gameplay and the artstyle.
The Hint Ghosts are a crazy good idea, too. Very useful if you get stuck.

Hyoukokun

One of the things that amuses me greatly about this game: it regularly takes advantage of multi-layered terrain and levels in ways that the non-overhead 3D titles do not.

I'm having a fantastic time so far. My only real regret is that (Swamp Palace spoilers)
I just picked up the Blue Mail, which is making the combat easier than I want it to be

I'd be curious to hear the take from a Zelda novice on this title. Does the relative lack of tutorials produce any confusion? In particular, given that this game drops a boatload of items on you at once, is it ever confusing to figure out which item(s) to use where?

RagnarokX

Hmm am I the only one that doesn't care much about what the reward in a dungeon is? I've seen quite a few posts mention this but for me getting to every single area in the dungeons is what really interests me. Chests for me are just big markers on my map telling "Hey, this spot is difficult to get to and you have to use the tools at your disposal to get there". So, in a sense, having all mentioned tools in your inventory from the start is more interesting in theory, since you can try to think of different ways of trying to solve a problem. Rupees, hearths or item rewards are very much secondary to me in a Zelda game and that is because of how the dungeons are designed.

The second point I wanted to address is about difficulty. I think the part relating to combat difficulty can certainly be alleviated by having hero mode available from the start. There's still the issue that for us, zelda veterans, we've already developed a bunch of strategies to fight most of the enemies in the game, and these strategies kick in naturally every time we meet the same foes in a new game. I'm sure that for somebody playing this for the first time, it would actually be challenging. The same applies for the puzzoe difficulty, there are some puzzle mechanics that may have taken you quite a bit of time to figure out when we were playing lttp or link's awakening for the first time, but many of these concepts get reused again, even in not exactly the same fashion, and thus don't really pose a challenge to us.

I think difficulty is just as much about damage numbers, puzzle complexity than novelty. I think the series needs a lot more new enemies, new concepts such as the wall merging mechanic, and new items every time. Sadly, that is something thqt is very hard to achieve while keeping a tightly designed game and that would probably scare off a lot of people. So little by little it is.

Personally, I'm pretty much in love with the game. The freedom to explore every nook and cranny from the start is great. The puzzle elements are just as tightly designed as ever. Music and the overall presentation is superb. There's really no reason to not love the game.

With that said, time to get back to Hyrule!

See my post on the last page. It's about the journey, not the destination. Even in the old games. The dungeon items weren't really rewards, they are tools to use to overcome more challenges. The reward is completing the dungeon; the sense of satisfaction of figuring things out and the accomplishment of completing something.

I don't care about the content of the chest. What I care about is that the chest is hard to get to in a challenging way.

With this system what they should do is keep coming up with new uses for items throughout the game. Just because you have the bombs at the start doesn't mean you've done everything possible with bombs. Zelda games have items that have appeared in every game but they still come up with new ways to use them and clever puzzles.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just jumping in very quickly.

Deal with it, Andrew! :mad:

I still don't dig the graphics, but I'll be damned if this game isn't super fun.

Everything is just so polished and done so 'well' that when I compare this to other games, I wonder how nobody besides Nintendo can consistently reach this standard.

Myriadis

3ds.jpg

Goodbye old LoZ 3DS, hello new LoZ 3DSXL!
You shall be missed old buddy :(

Wait, the Zelda 3DS is a XL? I tried out the normal one and thought that it was too small for my hands, but given that the XL version is bigger, it might be better. But I don't want to buy another console right now...

balgajo

Just watched some walkthrough after finishing the game.
Now I see that Ice Ruin wasn't meant to be played as the first dungeon of second part XD. But it was a good challenge.

oatmeal

Banned
2 dungeons in...

Game is the most fluid Zelda ever. IT plays like a dream (I need to put some sandpaper on the slider, though...it's ridiculous they didn't put anything on it). The boss battles have been a treat, the over world is awesome and the changes make it feel new again. The rental system seems cool (I rented everything at once...I hope i don't die).

The best Zelda in a long time.

Kind of OT but I don't know where else to ask this. Just bought the LBW XL Bundle and I want to transfer from my old XL to this one. Obviously system transfer is easy, but the SD card in my old XL has more stuff on it than the capacity of the SD card in this new one. How do I transfer that stuff over? Will it only transfer part of the data or is there a way to strictly copy from internal memory only so I can just pop my card in the new one?

LAA

I feel bad for asking this, but how the hell do you capture fairies in bottles? I have them equipped to X/Y, but pressing them does nothing... Am I doing it right?

...Also as someone said above me yeah, how do you play that octoball minigame?

EDIT: Ah thanks Porcile!

Grizzo

Just watched some walkthrough after finishing the game.
Now I see that Ice Ruin wasn't meant to be played as the first dungeon of second part XD. But it was a good challenge.

Haha I did the exact same thing and was quite amazed that game would be that difficult right away !

It's definitely the hardest dungeon in the game. But that's not saying much.

Lum1n3s

Kind of OT but I don't know where else to ask this. Just bought the LBW XL Bundle and I want to transfer from my old XL to this one. Obviously system transfer is easy, but the SD card in my old XL has more stuff on it than the capacity of the SD card in this new one. How do I transfer that stuff over? Will it only transfer part of the data or is there a way to strictly copy from internal memory only so I can just pop my card in the new one?
All the stuff gets transferred with the old card. I just did it myself and nothing loaded up with the new SD card that was with the LoZ 3DS XL but once I put in the old one from the old 3DS everything was on that one. So I think you don't have to worry about that.

You'll eventually just take the SD card from the old 3DS and put it in the new.

Search on GAF for the 3DS system transfer, you'll find a few threads full of questions.

afoni

Banned
I'm going through all of the dungeons again in search of treasure and there's one in the
Dark Palace
that I really can't begin to understand.

Not sure if I need an optional item or something, but it's frustrating.

john tv

I don't get that Octoball minigame :( How the hell do you aim?
Aim is all timing. Swing early to send it to right field, swing late to send it to left. Hold the analog stick down to go high and deep, neutral to sort of line drive (perfect for the crows), and up to hit grounders.

The controls are pretty nuanced but if you follow the above, you'll start to get the hang of it. If you want even more advice:

Three jars in a row sends a crow out (crows are 20 rupees). The crabs reset the jars. So the idea is to try and hit 3 jars in a row as often as possible, then hit a crab when you start running out of jars. Wash, rinse, repeat. Get into a groove with this pattern and you'll clear 100 rupees in no time.

For a handheld Zelda, this game is godly. Almost zero handholding, ( I hope they got rid of the hint item icons/blocks), world/exploration is great, I especially love finding weirdos in caves. This game gives me hope in zelda again, after the very disappointing skyward sword.

maxcriden

I'm still not too far in but I'm really enjoying the game a ton so far. This is the first handheld game where I have easily and immediately noticed that the game is 60 FPS. It just plays so smoothly, especially compared to previous handheld Zeldas. It's awesome.

BTW, I picked up the Zelda Collector's Edition Guide. I normally wouldn't buy a guide but the sales associate at Gamestop showed me this one and it looked pretty awesome. I don't really plan to use it to beat the game or anything, it's just a really nice book. The lithograph it comes with is pretty neat, too. I got the 3DW one as well and that one's great, too (it comes with a really nice 3DW-themed calendar).

Try this -

remove the larger SD card from your current 3DS.

Do the system transfer to send your data over to the new 3DS XL

After the transfer is complete, put your larger SD card into the new 3DS XL

You should see all of your downloaded games, etc. on the card and be able to play them.

I did this on friday with my 3DS and the Zelda XL

DaBoss

I'm sure it has been answered, but can you only rent items, or can you also find them in the dungeons?
After you get to Lorule, you can buy items.

EDIT: Selective reading on my end lol. You can find some items in dungeons, but they aren't the typical equipping items.

Top Bottom