• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Do I have to wait until I can lift the big rocks before I can go to
Rosso's ore mine
to deliver the milk? I made it all the way down the lava platforms (which took forever because I suck at timing lol), but I reached a deadend basically. There's some wooden planks that you can walk in a circle while trying not to fall off, but seemed pointless unless I missed something. I found the sign that said
Rosso's Ore Mine
and two big rocks close to it. But nothing else was there. Anyone know? :x

Prophezz

Banned
Whoa, I wasn't expecting the game until Monday (Amazon's tracking showed it was supposed to arrive on that day) but to my pleasant surprise, it just arrived!! Wooooo! :D

Leezard

Do I have to wait until I can lift the big rocks before I can go to
Rosso's ore mine
to deliver the milk? I made it all the way down the lava platforms (which took forever because I suck at timing lol), but I reached a deadend basically. There's some wooden planks that you can walk in a circle while trying not to fall off, but seemed pointless unless I missed something. I found the sign that said
Rosso's Ore Mine
and two big rocks close to it. But nothing else was there. Anyone know? :x

No, you just went the wrong way. In the lava platform area, there is a big platform somewhere in the middle with some enemies. You went right there. If you want to deliver the milk, you need to go down.

Salsa

OT but I just upgraded from an 8gb class 4 card to a 16gb class 10 cause this was almost pushing me over the limit and man I see no difference at all in terms of speed. OS or game-loading wise

bleh

No, you just went the wrong way. In the lava platform area, there is a big platform somewhere in the middle with some enemies. You went right there. If you want to deliver the milk, you need to go down.

Hmm.. Ooooh, right! I forgot about that. I went left first to get the heart piece, then I went right completely forgetting there was a 3rd option, lol. Thanks!

Graphics look good to me. It looks better in person. Obviously could've been better but than we wouldn't have gotten that 60fps gameplay. Worthy sacrifice I would say.

Porcile

I swear getting a Monster Gut in a chest is secretly some sort of joke. Like in the original Japanese version of The Wind Waker where you got 10 rupees for completing the Savage Labyrinth.

Does anybody else get the sense that they're blazing through the game? I'm not knocking it for being seriously engaging and keeping me glued to the system for hours. It just feels like I'll be done with it really soon. Did anybody else have this feeling with A Link to the Past on GBA?

I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about. Only just got to Lorule.

120v

Does anybody else get the sense that they're blazing through the game? I'm not knocking it for being seriously engaging and keeping me glued to the system for hours. It just feels like I'll be done with it really soon. Did anybody else have this feeling with A Link to the Past on GBA?

I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about. Only just got to Lorule.

LttP is actually a fairly short game if you really want to sit at it for hours. but the dungeons seem more zippy in this game, based on what i've played so far

butman

Just bought it!

GAF What i do? Jump all in with ALBW or replay ATTP first?

I already played ALTTP on his time. But i almost forgot all the experience.

Just bought it!

GAF What i do? Jump all in with ALBW or replay ATTP first?

I already played ALTTP on his time. But i almost forgot all the experience.

Do nothing other than breathe until you've beaten ALBW. Trust me, it'll all come back to you.

This is probably my favorite Zelda title ever right now. Not a single part of the game that I didn't like. Not a single one.

Kumo

Guys, I started this game and I'm not too far into it. Only got the Master Sword. But.... I don't understand why we're able to rent every item from the shop from the get-go. Like I thought the point was you had to rent one item at a time and try to guess what you might need for each dungeon? And then it gives you the option to buy the items.... but why? I can already use every item?? I get that the benefit of buying is so you don't lose them when you die, but what if I never die? >_>

I don't get this system. If this is truly how it's suppose to be, I prefer the traditional way of acquiring items.

Guys, I started this game and I'm not too far into it. Only got the Master Sword. But.... I don't understand why we're able to rent every item from the shop from the get-go. Like I thought the point was you had to rent one item at a time and try to guess what you might need for each dungeon? And then it gives you the option to buy the items.... but why? I can already use every item?? I get that the benefit of buying is so you don't lose them when you die, but what if I never die? >_>

I don't get this system. If this is truly how it's suppose to be, I prefer the traditional way of acquiring items.

The point is that now you remember dungeons not for the item you got in them, but for the dungeon itself. It's also to have a penalty for dying, which will be common in 4x damage Hero Mode. Instead of, you know, dying and saying "Oh well, no skin off my back".

It's probably the most important decision that they made, honestly.

Grizzo

I died on level 47 of the Treacherous Tower and I had an unused yellow potion. Argh.

What do I even get for doing this? Rupees?

You get
many rupees and a more powerful lamp (like if you upgraded your lamp). It turns blue and you can use it to fight ennemies. It's not really efficient though.

georly

Missing 2 heart pieces, can't find them anywhere. Is there a system in the game that shows you where heart pieces are? I havent used the glasses or the fortune teller at all because i didnt want to cheat.

Porcile

The point is that now you remember dungeons not for the item you got in them, but for the dungeon itself. It's also to have a penalty for dying, which will be common in 4x damage Hero Mode. Instead of, you know, dying and saying "Oh well, no skin off my back".

Buying them is no skin off your back. The rental system is redundant. Just buy the items and be done with it. You have enough rupees by the time you get the point where you're able to start buying them outright, that buying one or two items per dungeon isnt really all that taxing on your wallet.

The game has fantastic level design but the item system is a let down.

Kumo

Just to make sure we're on the same page, I meant that I have every item in my inventory right from the beginning. I seriously thought this was a glitch or something.

Another thing, Ravio just explained quick equip.... but that also seems pointless. It's not quick by any sense of the word. You have to click on the item you want to swap out, scroll through all your items to find the one you want, then click X or Y. But it seems to make much more sense to click on the items tab because it pauses the game for one. And it takes about the same time as quick equipping anyways.

Other than this, the game has been fantastic so far.

I'm going through all of the dungeons again in search of treasure and there's one in the
Dark Palace
that I really can't begin to understand.

Not sure if I need an optional item or something, but it's frustrating.

Which one ?
The one in a small room in 2F ? In the big room where you have the two switches that trigger the moving platforms, you have to place a bomb near the south one then quickly run to the north platform, activate it wity your sword and merge with the wall where there's the drawing on the wall

Seda

Four Lorule dungeons down.

Swamp Palace
Turtle Rock
Skull Woods
Dark Palace

Now onto
Thieves Hideout

georly

Are the dungeon treasures the same every time, or do you get them in order, regardless of which dungeon you do?

For example, i got the blue tunic in the water temple. Is it always a blue tunic, or is that because i hit it in that order? I got the stamina scroll in the ice dungeon, which I did last. Will the ice dungeon always have the stamina scroll, or is that always the LAST item you get?

BY2K

Membero Americo
People keep asking where to find the Pegasus Boots and the Catching Net. Why? Because the game doesn't hold your hand! A MODERN ZELDA GAME WITH NO HANDHOLDING.

THIS IS WONDERFUL!

I'd imagine that in Hero Mode, which will cause many more deaths/use more potions, the rental system will be more apparent in its uses. Hell, it took me till the second to last dungeon before I had everything purchased. Yeah, buying everything outright is possible but it isn't fast. It gives you an option of having more rupees for potions and shit, or security in not giving a shit if you die. Yeah for guys like us who either won't die ever or have no issue grinding out rupees it's slightly less than perfectly balanced, but for the majority I think it's about right.

And what I was saying is that the point is that you DO have all the items available to you more or less from the start. The whole game is designed around "do what you want to do", and isn't limiting itself to shackling you down with "well you don't have that item". You got the rupees? Sure, go ahead and rent everything out, and pick up everything as you go by.
It's not like you can literally buy everything the instant the option is available, unless you just cut grass for a few hours.
The takeaway is that this method gives you a metric fuckton of choice. Do whatever dugeon you want, when you want -- just make sure you brought the right item. Again, the rental system will probably make more sense to us in Hero Mode.

EDIT: Quick Equip is awesome. It's a lot quicker when you have the slider bit added on though. And less necessary once you have the second pouch.

Stoze

This game is very good, however, I find myself missing linear progression. Being given access to all the items right away does destroy some of the pacing and adventure of this kind of game. In previous titles, there was always incentive to go to the next dungeon because you'd get a new item which allowed you to go to explore even more. Walking around and seeing all these things you can't do yet is a big part of Zelda. Removing that kinda shrinks the world a bit. It also limits the kind of puzzles they can put in any one dungeon, because each dungeon can only be based around one item. Also, I'm not sure what problem it's supposed to solve. In all the years of people complaining about things in Zelda, "linear progression" wasn't really high on the list. I mean, I just played Guacamelee a few weeks ago, and I felt the progression was solid. I didn't find myself wishing I could go wherever I wanted.

See, I think it's the opposite. Arbitrarily and predictably handing out key items in dungeons means there's no second guessing or wondering about how to go about solving practically anything in the game. In ALBW, it's walking around and seeing all the things you can't do yet because you haven't thought your way to the solution, or haven't taken the initiate to find extra items like the pegasus boots. In other Zeldas, its walking around and seeing all these things you can do, but only after the game hands out the item as a freebee.

afoni

Banned
Which one ?
The one in a small room in 2F ? In the big room where you have the two switches that trigger the moving platforms, you have to place a bomb near the south one then quickly run to the north platform, activate it wity your sword and merge with the wall where there's the drawing on the wall

Yeah, that was the one. I figured it out though.

Bit stupid that they decided to hide an extra mechanism of the switch, but whatever.

Conor 419

Banned
This game is very good, however, I find myself missing linear progression. Being given access to all the items right away does destroy some of the pacing and adventure of this kind of game. In previous titles, there was always incentive to go to the next dungeon because you'd get a new item which allowed you to go to explore even more. Walking around and seeing all these things you can't do yet is a big part of Zelda. Removing that kinda shrinks the world a bit. It also limits the kind of puzzles they can put in any one dungeon, because each dungeon can only be based around one item. Also, I'm not sure what problem it's supposed to solve. In all the years of people complaining about things in Zelda, "linear progression" wasn't really high on the list. I mean, I just played Guacamelee a few weeks ago, and I felt the progression was solid. I didn't find myself wishing I could go wherever I wanted.

Ironically, what I think makes this game so good, (despite Nintendo not talking about it) is that it doesn't hold your hand at all. I think that's what everyone wanted, and this game really delivers on that aspect. I just hope Nintendo doesn't think that non-linear progression was this game's innovation, because really it's not. The big thing here is that Nintendo took the safety rails off for once. That's what I'd love for them to carry on moving forward.

How can any reasonable person think this way?

pariah164

People keep asking where to find the Pegasus Boots and the Catching Net. Why? Because the game doesn't hold your hand! A MODERN ZELDA GAME WITH NO HANDHOLDING.

THIS IS WONDERFUL!
THIS IS CONFUSING TO ME but I dig it.

I'm currently super stuck in
Skull Woods
, but I'm fighting the urge to turn to my strategy guide.

What a difference between this game and a game like Skyward Sword, where Fi tells you where to go if there's even a 0.04% chance of wonder. This game basically shoves you into the world, daring you to explore.

georly

Only thing that would make this game better (and longer) would be to replace Ravio's item system by putting each item in a mini-dungeon of sorts. Kinda like the ice cave in ocarina of time. Requires no items to beat, you can go in whenever you want, and requires you to use the item to exit the dungeon. Replace all of those mini dungeons where the reward is 100 rupees and put the items in dungeons like those instead.

Velcro Fly

Only thing that would make this game better (and longer) would be to replace Ravio's item system by putting each item in a mini-dungeon of sorts. Kinda like the ice cave in ocarina of time. Requires no items to beat, you can go in whenever you want, and requires you to use the item to exit the dungeon. Replace all of those mini dungeons where the reward is 100 rupees and put the items in dungeons like those instead.

Seems nice but people would complain about padding. OoT had a couple dungeons like that and it felt like it was enough. If they did it 9 times people would start to complain about padding the length of the game.

Porcile

I was thinking that perhaps they could of kept the rental system, but at the end of each dungeon you got that dungeon's specific item permanently, for free.

Top Bottom