• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

pulga

Banned
You can do it before or after.

You just have to trigger the cutscene at
Zora's Domain where the queen says the smooth gem was stolen. After that, warp back to the village and go close to Sahasrahla's house. You should see the "Shady guy" (aka the Thief) standing by a wall. If you get too close, he'll run away, so you have to use your turning into painting on wall ability and sneak up behind him to catch him. After that, he'll give you the shoes.

Oh! I just bought the
smooth gem from the guy and didn't even notice him
Thanks!

Finished the game this afternoon, 15 hours in total but I was still missing a lot of the collectibles. Felt a little too easy in places, so I'm looking forward to trying Hero mode, but overall I'd have to say this is one of the best Zelda games I've played in years. Just a real joy from start to finish, excellent music, charming atmosphere, some great dungeons (although I felt there was an over reliance on moving platform puzzles in some of them) and very good pacing. I like that with the rental system they've removed the tedium of re-exploring the world everytime you get a new item and that, while there are options available to you if you're stuck (with the hint ghosts and fortune teller), the game never really overtly holds your hand or steers you in any one direction. I'd easily rank this as being up there with the best of the series, 2d or 3d, a real triumph of a game.

D-Pad

Someone please tell me how to get to the heart piece
behind the tower of ice
. Been trying for what feels like ever.

ASIS

Hello GAF.

Just wanted to drop in and say I hate each and every one of you for having enough free time to enjoy this game.

Yours truly,
ASIS

pulga

Banned
Hello GAF.

Just wanted to drop in and say I hate each and every one of you for having enough free time to enjoy this game.

Yours truly,
ASIS

Speak for yourself. I've a midterm report due on monday and I've been a slimy little procrastinator even since I downloaded this.

Damn you Nintendo

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Just got to lorule and randomly wandered into the
thief hideout

Didn't get to finish up in there. Game is solid gold, just amazing. Best game on 3ds since 3d land easily.

afoni

Banned
Speak for yourself. I've a midterm report due on monday and I've been a slimy little procrastinator even since I downloaded this.

Damn you Nintendo

All of my assignments were due in 2 weeks ago and I have nothing until January.

Videogames forever.

Kjellson

So if you buy an item from Ravio you keep it during the whole game just like every other Zelda games? I thought the rental system would be tougher, lol.

ASIS

Damn you Nintendo

I have 6 finals coming starting next monday, two exams a day. I've sworn I wouldn't open my 3DS so I'm only here lurking. I know I shouldn't but... ;_;

RagnarokX

People keep asking where to find the Pegasus Boots and the Catching Net. Why? Because the game doesn't hold your hand! A MODERN ZELDA GAME WITH NO HANDHOLDING.

THIS IS WONDERFUL!

Actually for me personally the Pegasus Boots tripped me up for a while because
the guy that gives them to you mimics a similar dude in ALttP that you need the Pegasus Boots to catch.

Also the game has about as much "handholding" as Skyward Sword. SS didn't spoil things either. So far in Lorule there's been a brief explanation of the dungeon area whenever you get close to a dungeon. It's less text-heavy and linear, obviously, but in terms of letting players figure things out they're on even footing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One thing this revisiting makes obvious is how damn chatty game have to be these days. Just let me play, jesus.

ASIS

Actually for me personally the Pegasus Boots tripped me up for a while because
the guy that gives them to you mimics a similar dude in ALttP that you need the Pegasus Boots to catch.

Also the game has about as much "handholding" as Skyward Sword. SS didn't spoil things either. So far in Lorule there's been a brief explanation of the dungeon area whenever you get close to a dungeon. It's less text-heavy and linear, obviously, but in terms of letting players figure things out they're on even footing.

Nooo no no no. I've come to the realization that most of GAF misunderstood handholding as Fi. This game is proof that it is not the case. The real handholding in SS was in its design. How you got to the dungeons, how you progressed, etc. was laid out for you the architecture of the game, not its language. This is what ALBW does differently. And I finally understand the true nature behind criticism for SS. Fi is annoying, but handholding is within the game itself.

Dammit I can't decide on where to have the 3d slider set at. I know the 3d in this game is supposed to be fantastic....

So guys where do you keep your slider at, full blast? halfway? I tried having it down but not off and it felt comfortable for my eyes.

Dammit I can't decide on where to have the 3d slider set at. I know the 3d in this game is supposed to be fantastic....

So guys where do you keep your slider at, full blast? halfway? I tried having it down but not off and it felt comfortable for my eyes.

I just have it on full blast and it looks great.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Play more than the first 30 minutes of the game and you'll take that statement back immediately.
Phew, that's nice to know they let go of that right off the bat. You have to admit though, they set this up as a parallel game so it's funny to see the modern concepts like "too much narrative" creep in.

braves01

Banned
I just played through a couple of the Lorule dungeons,
thief's hideout
and
desert palace
, and I think the latter might be one of the best dungeons Zelda dungeons ever. The music in particular, is some of the best I've heard since Ocarina. I think it's pushed me over the edge on the visuals, too--this is not just a "okay" looking game, it actually looks damn good and 3D effects like this game has are the raison d'etre for 3DS and make me sad the next handheld probably won't have it. Unless it suddenly gets worse, this is easily the best Zelda since OoT imo.

This is the GOAT of 6.5/10 games.

georly

Unless it suddenly gets worse, this is easily the best Zelda since OoT imo.

It doesn't get worse.

Also, anyone know what happened to this:

zlCfzRFGeVspn8UHme

When does link ever wear a brown tunic?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just beat the third dungeon.

I'm in love. Not so sure how I feel about the item rental system yet, but the quick travel certainly avoids making it tedious in practice.

JoeInky

So I'm missing one full heart container/4 pieces and there's two space missing in my inventory. Got the two berry things that take up slots but can't find anything else.

jaz013

Banned
Got my copy yesterday, haven't done a single dungeon so far (well, not, "official" dungeons, I just go the ability to snap into walls).

Whoever said this games looked "bad" or "awful" REALLY needs to go and have their eyes checked. It's just...., beautiful.

The Zelda game all those "fans" were asking for a long time.

cube444

Bought the game for my nieces and have been helping her through it. Currently on the third dungeon.

I'm so tempted to run out and buy the Zelda 3DS XL console for myself tomorrow morning. :lol

Finished the game with all 100 Maiamais and most items. Still missing 6 Heart Pieces and
the Super Bug Net
from the second Treacherous Tower run.

Game was amazing, easily one of the best Zelda games and one of Nintendo's finest creations in years. It was a real pleasure to play through from beginning to end and makes me extremely curious about Zelda Wii U.

Bought the game for my nieces and have been helping her through it. Currently on the third dungeon.

I'm so tempted to run out and buy the Zelda 3DS XL console for myself tomorrow morning. :lol

dooo eeeet

Is there a quick way to kill BIG penguins? That's what's costing me the most hearts in the Battle tower. T_T

So I'm missing one full heart container/4 pieces and there's two space missing in my inventory. Got the two berry things that take up slots but can't find anything else.

One space is reserved for a special item in a boss battle.
Do you have 5 bottles? If yes make a list of what you have so that we can tell what's missing.

JoeInky

One space is reserved for a special item in a boss battle.
Do you have 5 bottles? If yes make a list of what you have so that we can tell what's missing.

Yeah I know about the
light arrows
, it must be the fifth bottle I'm missing then.

I have 4, got the one from the shop, the one under the bridge, the one in the lake with the message and the one in the vacant house in lorule.

mattiewheels

Was reading a feature on the abysmal CD-i outings of Zelda, where I came across this video, anyone remember it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM
Yeah, the Super Mario Bros. Super Show back in the 90s had a Zelda cartoon every Friday. It was actually pretty good, especially compared to CD-I Zelda.

The "Excuuuuuuuse me" joke was a Steve Martin thing from the 70s, so I bet most people today wouldn't get the reference.

Leeness

Really liking this gaaaame. Just got to Lorule and I have no idea what I'm doing so I just wander a bit. Looked around the town...wasn't sure what to do, wandered elsewhere.

Man though...Link is hideous haha. The other characters look fine but Link is so awkward to look at in "cutscenes".

I tornado stun them, smack them, shoot fire at them, tornado stun again

I get pushed back a lot if I strike them with the sword (even circle attack)

it must be the fifth bottle I'm missing then.
I have 4, got the one from the shop, the one under the bridge, the one in the lake with the message and the one in the vacant house in lorule.

There's one a big fairy gives you if you offer her something like 3000 rupees (not necessarily all at once, it's cumulated). She's located in a cave just under Lorule's village.

Rich!

So, what order has everyone gone for? I did this on my first playthrough:

1. Eastern Palace
2. Tower of Hera
3. House of Gales

4. Dark Palace
5. Thieves' Hideout
6. Swamp Palace
7. Desert Palace
8. Ice Ruins
9. Skull Woods
10. Turtle Rock

Just felt natural having Turtle Rock as the last dungeon lol

And is it just me or did anyone else think that the Skull Woods was desperately lacking the Death Mountain march theme? It was a damn sight more eerie and foreboding in Link to the Past due to the music and the fog. In Link Between Worlds it...wasnt.

Serrato

Just beaten Dark Palace as first Lorule Dungeon. (Cause Nostalgia!)

God I loved it.

And that boss. It almost killed me.

A Boss. Kill me. In Zelda.

Dat Game.

Not good. I'm finding I'd rather go try and finish TP instead or return the game as nice as it sounds and looks.

If you're stuck and don't know what to do, tell us where you are and we'll give you a hint or two to get you going.

If you don't want to figure things out on your own as you play without the game explicitly telling you what you need to do, then this may not be the game for you.

georly

Anyone else's Zelda 3ds xl, or 3ds xl in general have part of the frame of the bottom screen warping upward so stuff can easily get between the bottom screen plastic and the touch screen?

Rich!

Oh god. I've just gone back to try and work it out, and I still can't. Does anyone know how the hell you're supposed to get to the big chest
presumably containing the Red Mail
in Lorule Castle?

Top Bottom