• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

JoeInky

Oh god. I've just gone back to try and work it out, and I still can't. Does anyone know how the hell you're supposed to get to the big chest
presumably containing the Red Mail
in Lorule Castle?

Blow out all the torches in that room, there are invisible platforms.

Rich!

That would have helped during the final battle. Ah well, HERO MODE TIME

There had better be a Majoras Mask hint at the end of this mode otherwise aonumas gonna get an ass kicking

Getting near the end and so far it's been a wonderful journey. The music, graphics and gameplay are all exceptional. I just wish it wouldn't end.

mrkgoo

Is the US gold cover foily and shiny?

I just picked this up and it is foiled. The white strip on the right us actually foil silver!

Wazzy

Banned
I just bought this even though I know I should be waiting a couple weeks. Dat 1 copy at my store temptation.

Is the game good so far? I haven't followed it much.

JoeInky

I just bought this even though I know I should be waiting a couple weeks. Dat 1 copy at my store temptation.

Good enough that after practically 100%ing it, I started another save file on hero mode immediately.

Rich!

Been playing every Zelda on launch for the past twenty years

This is the best so far.

Conor 419

Banned
Best video game since Zelda II.

Beaten the Thieves hideout, trying to deliver premium milk to some douche in the mountains but cannot get to him, gonna do the Ice ruins instead.

Kjellson

I need help! On the highest floor of Dark Palace there is a chest in a small room that I can't get into. There is a room on the same floor where you bomb some windows but nothing happens even if you get the jingle.

narton

So, what order has everyone gone for? I did this on my first playthrough:

1. Eastern Palace
2. Tower of Hera
3. House of Gales

4. Dark Palace
5. Thieves' Hideout
6. Swamp Palace
7. Desert Palace
8. Ice Ruins
9. Skull Woods
10. Turtle Rock

Just felt natural having Turtle Rock as the last dungeon lol

And is it just me or did anyone else think that the Skull Woods was desperately lacking the Death Mountain march theme? It was a damn sight more eerie and foreboding in Link to the Past due to the music and the fog. In Link Between Worlds it...wasnt.

1. Eastern Palace
2. House of Gales
3. Tower of Hera

4. Thieves' Hideout
5. Skull Woods
6. Swamp Palace
7. Desert Palace
8. Turtle Rock
9. Dark Palce
10. Ice Cavern

MBR

Banned
I need help! On the highest floor of Dark Palace there is a chest in a small room that I can't get into. There is a room on the same floor where you bomb some windows but nothing happens even if you get the jingle.
If I understand what room you're talking about:
Standing at the flipdoor (Part of the wall with the Helmasaur face): Far away button flips the door, near one operates the platform. Nearly drove me crazy too.

Kazerei

Banned
Standing at the flipdoor (Part of the wall with the Helmasaur face): Far away button flips the door, near one operates the platform. Nearly drove me crazy too.

I was just about to ask the same question. Thanks!

jwhit28

I keep thinking every Lorule dungeon will be my favorite then I like the next even more. I love how the upgraded hookshot is actually a viable offensive weapon and everything involving the sand rod is just great. Swamp Temple is the most enjoyable water temple I've ever played. Turtle Rock was just an okay temple but the boss is one of the toughest times I've had in the series. Almost every room has just a clever enough puzzle to make you feel like a genius when you complete it but they aren't too hard to where you get brick walled.

Is it just me or does the Hyrule theme after Lorule opens up tail off into the Ocarina of Time Hyrule Field Theme?

So far, for me, it's the most tightly designed, best paced Zelda I've ever played. I love the slow moving, large scope of games such as Ocarina/Twilight/Skyward, but I also love the more straight up fuck it just go go go approach, and Link Between Worlds is the best fuck it just go go go Zelda game yet.

Is it just me or does the Hyrule theme after Lorule opens up tail off into the Ocarina of Time Hyrule Field Theme?

It most certainly does. The cue was also heard either before or after you enter a Sacred Realm section in Skyward Sword.

JoeInky

I felt like such a boss when I figured that one out.

Does anyone know what all the upgrades for the weapons are? I only have 30 maimais so far and I want to know before I decide which 3 to upgrade.

Albo

Not good. I'm finding I'd rather go try and finish TP instead or return the game as nice as it sounds and looks.

I wish I could finish TP but while replaying it recently it's freezing on me with an error screen after the exact same point in the game ;_; (in the arbiter's grounds when I'm about to begin fighting the mini-boss). Serves me right buying used from ebay. Won't be getting ALBW for a while either.

I'm playing on wii u wii mode btw, but does anyone happen know a solution for this since I can't find any info online? I just get a frozen black screen with a generic message "an error has ocurred, eject the disk and turn off the console" which I have to from the socket since since it's completely frozen. The disk does have a minor scratch but I never thought it'd cause something like this. I've tried wiping the disk from center to edge. Sorry to go OT.

It doesn't get worse.

Also, anyone know what happened to this:

When does link ever wear a brown tunic?

I think its worth pointing out that screenshot is from a earlier build of the game.

The items are all in different places on the tables too in the final version (like the ice / fire rods being on opposite tables etc).

jwhit28

Does anyone know what all the upgrades for the weapons are? I only have 30 maimais so far and I want to know before I decide which 3 to upgrade.

Hookshot
extends almost instantly, stuns enemies, and does the same amount of damage as the first sword

Bow
becomes spread shot with 3 arrows coming out at a time

oatmeal

Banned
Just got to Lorule...

FUUUUUCK this game is good. best Zelda since OoT/ALTTP...so best Zelda in at least 15 years.

Best music in a Zelda game. Best controls in a Zelda game.

Phenomic

I'm about to finish the game... was there a secret after finishing hero mode that was eluded too? Has anyone actually done it yet?

A link to it or obviously spoiler tags would be fine... even if you want to PM it to me. I won't be playing Hero Mode anytime soon, so I'm still curious as to if there was some big secret.

Yuterald

Anyone know if those Street Pass/Dark Link Medals/Achievements are shared across game saves? Kind of want to 100% the game both in regular and hero mode, but wouldn't want to earn all 50 of those twice, lol! Just curious.

Just got to Lorule...

FUUUUUCK this game is good. best Zelda since OoT/ALTTP...so best Zelda in at least 15 years.

Best music in a Zelda game. Best controls in a Zelda game.

I had a blast playing through the first three dungeons. So extremely well designed and fast. I didn't think I would like fast dungeons but there was a huge fun factor in just zipping through them and figuring out some of the really neat puzzles.

Robin64

Just finished the game for the first time. 14,281 rupees collected, 0 times defeated. Feels good! Need to go mop up though. A few items left to upgrade, many more heart pieces to find.

Oh and.

1. Eastern Palace
2. Tower of Hera
3. House of Gales

4. Swamp Palace
5. Dark Palace
6. Thieves' Hideout
7. Desert Palace
8. Skull Woods
9. Turtle Rock
10. Ice Cavern

Kjellson

THANKS!!! Thought I was going insane.

masterkajo

So, how good is this Zelda? I played every Zelda up to Skyward Sword but somehow I find myself enjoying them less and less. Maybe its because I am getting older or maybe they are just getting worse (Fi! I hate you so much!). All that handholding and linearity.

I don't own a 3DS and would have to buy one just for this game (and maybe Phoenix Wright and Smash Brothers down the line). Would you say it is worth it? Fresh new Zelda? Unique expereince? How is the difficulty? Thanks guys.

Rich!

Hahahaha

Just died like five times in a row. In the Eastern Palace grounds. Hero mode is insane.

So, how good is this Zelda? I played every Zelda up to Skyward Sword but somehow I find myself enjoying them less and less. Maybe its because I am getting older or maybe they are just get worse (Fi!! I hate you so much).

I don't own a 3DS and would have to buy one just for this game (and maybe Phoenix Wright and Smash Brothers down the line). Would you say it is worth it? Fresh new Zelda? Unique expereince? How is the difficulty? Thanks guys.

No companion. No hand holding at all. Complete freedom to do whatever you want in any order you want. Challenging. Best music in the series.

It's one of the greatest games I have ever played in my entire life.

So, how good is this Zelda? I played every Zelda up to Skyward Sword but somehow I find myself enjoying them less and less. Maybe its because I am getting older or maybe they are just getting worse (Fi! I hate you so much!). All that handholding and linearity.

This game is basically for people who hate modern 3D Zelda. Luckily for me I love the hell out of both styles but this game is a great, welcome change of pace. Literally. The pacing is absolutely insane. It feels like the most gameplay centric Zelda title due to how fast it is, how smooth it is, the new mechanics, how short the dungeons are, just how fast paced it is. It really is a breeze and a joy to play.

Fey

Banned
I think my order was:

1. Eastern Palace
2. Tower of Hera
3. House of Gales
-
4. Thieves' Hideout
5. Turtle Rock
6. Dark Palace
7. Skull Woods
8. Desert Palace
9. Ice Ruins
10. Swamp Palace

Swamp Palace would have been one of the first few if
I knew about the Bomb Flower.

Turtle Rock was deadly with only 7 hearts. x_x

This game. Oh my god. I only just got the sword, but decided to start exploring. Already entered caves and found hidden treasure chests. Oh my god. The freedom, the exploration. It's GLORIOUS.

My favorite moment so far is when I noticed a cave that was in Alttp is not present here, but I still figured I'd poke the wall with my sword even though there are no visible cracks. And behold, I find I can bomb it. I see how some secrets will be found easier by those who know Alttp by heart like I do. :D

THIS GAME. Already my GOTY, no question. Welcome back, glorious 2D Zelda!!!

Rich!

Speaking of Thieves' Hideout, did anyone else play through it convinced that
the prisoner girl was Blind the Thief, just like in LTTP only to be proved otherwise when Blind the Thief actually turns up from elsewhere as the boss?

It definitely threw me.

All I can say is... thank god I'm off work for the majority of the week due to Thanksgiving. And Thanksgiving is my favorite time of the year to play Zelda. Christmas is my favorite time of the year to play Donkey Kong Country so fuck you Retro.

Speaking of Thieves' Hideout, did anyone else play through it convinced that
the prisoner girl was Blind the Thief, just like in LTTP only to be proved otherwise when Blind the Thief actually turns up from elsewhere as the boss?

It definitely threw me.

Yeah I thought the same too! Great use of nostalgia

Rich!

THAT ATTACK TOOK HALF MY FUCKING HEALTH

Surely some atttacks are one hit kill in hero mode?

I'm dying everywhere in hero mode right now

This is like, dark souls-esque insanity. I'm actually having to use the sword and shield in combination to survive.

2 questions:
how do i BUY the items, i dont want to rent
how do i map X and L to other weapons

L is dedicated to the Pegasus boots for when you get them. To get weapons on X,
go to the clearing west of your house, and the blacksmiths wife will give you a weapons pouch

And you can't buy weapons until you enter Lorule.

masterkajo

Hahahaha

Just died like five times in a row. In the Eastern Palace grounds. Hero mode is insane.

No companion. No hand holding at all. Complete freedom to do whatever you want in any order you want. Challenging. Best music in the series.

It's one of the greatest games I have ever played in my entire life.

This game is basically for people who hate modern 3D Zelda. Luckily for me I love the hell out of both styles but this game is a great, welcome change of pace. Literally. The pacing is absolutely insane. It feels like the most gameplay centric Zelda title due to how fast it is, how smooth it is, the new mechanics, how short the dungeons are, just how fast paced it is. It really is a breeze and a joy to play.

Sounds awesome. I was on the fence anyhow but I think this does it. I guess I will buy the golden 3DS XL on monday. I will have to cut back on my eating but that will do me good too.

Neiteio

Maybe something was lost in translation and what Aonuma really meant was, "Just play this goddamn game, quit your bitching and we'll talk about Majora's Mask 3D later, homie."

Top Bottom