• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Conor 419

Banned
I've got so much to do tomorrow, but I don't want to stop playing.

One more hour.

EDIT - FUCK OFF GAME I AM NOT TAKING A BREAK FOR THE LAST TIME.

Rich!

Maybe something was lost in translation and what Aonuma really meant was, "Just play this goddamn game, quit your bitching and we'll talk about Majora's Mask 3D later, homie."

Nintendo are sadistic bastards

First they put Majora's Mask in Animal Crossing and get Bill Trinen to show it to everyone, then they release a Majoras Mask soundtrack CD on US Club Nintendo, and now they put Majoras Mask in Link Between Worlds for no reason other than to fuck with us

Goddamnit Nintendo, it's my favourite game ever made. Stop teasing me you assholes and announce the goddamn remake

Fireblend

Banned
Alright, finally about to start this. It almost feels wrong to remove the Pokemon cart from my 3DS
KuGsj.gif

Almost.

Neiteio

Goddamnit Nintendo, it's my favourite game ever made. Stop teasing me you assholes and announce the goddamn remake
THIS. Majora's Mask is like my all-time favorite game, followed by a number of non-Zelda titles, followed by the rest of the Zelda series. It needs to be remade!!

2 questions:
how do i BUY the items, i dont want to rent
how do i map X and L to other weapons

You can buy items after finishing the 3rd dungeon and getting all 3 pendants or whatever. You can buy them before you even get the
Master Sword
or enter Lorule.

To map items/weapons to X, you need to find the
pouch in the middle of the little forest south of Link's house.
L is used exclusively for
Pegasus boots.
Cannot map something on that.

----

Question for those who have beat most/all of Lorule dungeons... you get the
Hylian shield in the Turtle Rock dungeon right? And the Power Glove upgrade in the desert dungeon?
I want to know because I want those items first. :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It would be awesome if they did something like this again on the 3DS but with a possible expanded version of Link's Awakening.

Rich!

It would be awesome if they did something like this again on the 3DS but with a possible expanded version of Link's Awakening.

I view the Oracle games as an expansion of LA, really. They're true sequels in gameplay and engine.

I would kill for a true remake of LA though

TWILT

Banned
Woo, just got the Master Sword.

Really enjoying the game. It's definitely shaping up to be one of my favorite games of the year.

wmlk

I spoiled the game watching Kyle and them play yesterday. I want to play the game even more now. What I saw was ingenious.

8bitDevil

Banned
I'm 30 right now. I got ALTTP for making Honor Roll on my report card the Summer following it's release (along with a Super Soaker 50!). I remember spending the whole Summer playing thru every inch of that game as a child. I remember crying when I finally beat the game, saying goodbye to everyone during the sequence before the credits rolled...and then that reel, with the triforce pieces rotating...godamn!

Reading thru this thread really has me wishing I could afford a 3DSXL right now :(

Grizzo

Okay so after completing it at 100% (pieces of heart and maimais), I finally beat the game just now.

Can we just talk about how great that final boss is ? It was really clever and
it got me thinking about a new strategy towards the end. I didn't understand how to hurt him one last time since he was deflecting all my arrows until it finally hit me all of a sudden
. Awesome. One of my favorite Zelda fight ever

Kadin

I love the topic title. I'm listening to some Pink Floyd right now while I'm playing the game. Normally nothing plays while Zelda is being played but I had to after reading this thread. Well done!

I just beat the Palace of Darkness (my first Lorule dungeon), and I was surprised by how much fun I had playing it. I love the openness of the game; I'm just exploring all of Hyrule before even taking on the next dungeon.

I really hope that Aonuma can capture that same magic with Zelda Wii U. I think I enjoy 2D dungeons more than I enjoy 3D dungeons. I'm not sure how much my enjoyment can be attributed to nostalgia, but I really, really love this game.

I just beat the Palace of Darkness (my first Lorule dungeon), and I was surprised by how much fun I had playing it. I love the openness of the game; I'm just exploring all of Hyrule before even taking on the next dungeon.

I really hope that Aonuma can capture that same magic with Zelda Wii U. I think I enjoy 2D dungeons more than I enjoy 3D dungeons. I'm not sure how much my enjoyment can be attributed to nostalgia, but I really, really love this game.

Well, I think Aounuma said something about how Zelda Wii U was going to take it's inspiration from Zelda ALBW. At least I hope he actually said that and this isn't just wishful thinking on my part.

Really hope Amazon has a sale on this soon.

I want it but I'm already over my planned budget for this year. This was just something that was off my radar. I could take some out of my 2014 funds but then it's either Bravely Default or this.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm confused about the Swamp Palace.
Am I supposed to drain the water first? I just got inside, the room is filled with water, and I can't get anywhere.

Seda

I'm confused about the Swamp Palace.
Am I supposed to drain the water first? I just got inside, the room is filled with water, and I can't get anywhere.

You have to bring the giant bomb flower (from south of Thieves Town) to break the boulder covering the drain outside

StAidan

Man, nice to see that most everyone who's blasted through the game is so positive about it.

I'm moving at a slower pace and doing a lot of backtracking/exploring. Only done 2 dungeons so far (Tower of Hera being the second). I'm really enjoying returning to the Hyrule of 20 years ago and seeing how it's changed. I also like the little touches that have carried over from the subsequent 3D Zeldas (like Dampe -- I don't think that's too much of a spoiler).

Time to check out the third dungeon, and hopefully visit Lorule soon!

BlueSteel

So, I really hated the graphics when they debuted the game.

But after playing it for 3 hours... aside from the cutscenes, they actually look pretty decent to me? Anyone else feel the same way?

LGom09

Just got to Lorule. Oh my god, the music. Was I supposed to find some hints to enter the Thieve's Hideout? I just guessed three times in a row and got it first try lol.

pariah164

So, what order has everyone gone for? I did this on my first playthrough:

1. Eastern Palace
2. Tower of Hera
3. House of Gales

4. Dark Palace
5. Thieves' Hideout
6. Swamp Palace
7. Desert Palace
8. Ice Ruins
9. Skull Woods
10. Turtle Rock
My order, so far.

1. Eastern Palace
2. Tower of Hera
3. House of Gales

4. Thieves' Hideout
5. Skull Woods

I am now stuck and have no clue where to go. :D So! I'm trying to hunt down Maiamai's instead so I can buy and upgrade stuff.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wasn't 100% sure how the game was going to pan out at first. But getting to Lorule, and the game opening up in combination with the great atmosphere, music, and...

zZ371uj.jpg

... like the kids say these days, I can't.

Kadin

So, I really hated the graphics when they debuted the game.

But after playing it for 3 hours... aside from the cutscenes, they actually look pretty decent to me? Anyone else feel the same way?
I think they're absolutely great myself. The game runs very smooth too which makes the experience that much better.

Rich!

Maybe Wii U Zelda will be a revisit of Termina?

Would be great. Termina has far more scope than Hyrule anyway. It has a vibrant town, a swamp, fields, a gigantic snow covered mountain, a barren wasteland and canyon and an entire goddamn ocean

It would be amazing to expand upon

BY2K

Membero Americo
That Rumour Guy is more than meets the eye, I just know it. His sole purpose cannot be just to tell us that Zelda may have issues.

That guy better tell me something about Majora's Mask when I finish the game in Hero Mode.

Rich!

Oh my god. I've just realised that (just like in normal mode) a 100% of hero mode would require you to finish the full 50 floors of the Treacherous Tower TWICE

Fuck. That.

Hyoukokun

Is there a shovel? Digging took up about 80% of my time in Link's Awakening

Not really, but (second half spoilers)
you *will* eventually get the Sand Rod, which enables you to unearth things that are buried in sand. Not coincidentally, it looks like a shovel. It's one of the few items that isn't available from Ravio initially.

Phenomic

Oh my god. I've just realised that (just like in normal mode) a 100% of hero mode would require you to finish the full 50 floors of the Treacherous Tower TWICE

Fuck. That.

Are most people having large problems with this? I dunno about hero mode, but if you run into that tower with proper upgrades with stacked out on fairies I feel like it wouldn't be that bad. I finished it under 15 minutes easily on normal.

Either way great game... will play it again definitely sometime with hero mode probably, but I'm not going to jump into it immediately.

Got 20k Rupees (I went bonkers on the farming)

Rich!

Are most people having large problems with this? I dunno about hero mode, but if you run into that tower with proper upgrades with stacked out on fairies I feel like it wouldn't be that bad. I finished it under 15 minutes easily on normal.

Either way great game... will play it again definitely sometime with hero mode probably, but I'm not going to jump into it immediately.

Got 20k Rupees (I went bonkers on the farming)

Fire Rod 2 makes it easy tbh. The thing is, hero mode is kicking my ass.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
yay 3 dungeons done and now there's 7 x's and I don't know where to go and fuck exploring. Someone tell me where next.

You just want someone to tell you what to do? Why?

got the game earlier and nostalgia bomb everywhere when playing , even got link to the past sounds :3 , game is fantastic so far and i only beat the first dungeon.

DaBoss

Something feels right about having the Desert Palace being the last dungeon. And I get to save the best person for last lol.

I'm also guessing this is where you get the upgraded mitts? It's been killing me hearing the chirps and not being able to lift the boulders up.

RagnarokX

Nooo no no no. I've come to the realization that most of GAF misunderstood handholding as Fi. This game is proof that it is not the case. The real handholding in SS was in its design. How you got to the dungeons, how you progressed, etc. was laid out for you the architecture of the game, not its language. This is what ALBW does differently. And I finally understand the true nature behind criticism for SS. Fi is annoying, but handholding is within the game itself.

I think you're confusing linearity for handholding. Skyward Sword is a linear game where you don't really choose the order in which you do the main dungeons, but the overworld areas and dungeons still require you to explore and figure things out to progress through them. Linearity itself is not handholding.

I just went to the Desert Palace in ALBW for my second Lorule dungeon. Time freezes and text comes on the screen telling me that I need to go to the palace and I'll need to manipulate sand. Also my map has a big red x telling me where my destination is. Skyward Sword was a lot more text heavy than it needed to be, but that's pretty much all it did, too. You land in an area, your map tells you your destination, and Fi tells you what you already know. How do you get to the destination on the map? Figure it out yourself.

SS' problem was mainly text speed.

Platy

I am finding very hard to progress on this game ...

.... SO MUCH NEED TO EXPLORE HYRULE ! =O
So fun to revisit this place ='D

Top Bottom