• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I think that'll do for tonight. I need sleep. My Activity Log shows that I've been playing for nearly 13 hours already. Time flies...

Mistle

In the first dungeon there was a room on the map that I seemingly couldn't get to.
Does this game have puzzles within dungeons that I may need to come back for, with more items and such? Or could have I gotten to that room the first time around and just didn't figure it out? It was on the lowest floor I believe, to the right
just quoting in case somebody can answer! just wondering how i should tackle the new zelda formula

Neiteio

Just started the game... and played for FOUR HOURS.

Yep, it's safe to say:

74206-thats-good-thats-damn-good-gif-HU8B.gif

Pure. Excellence.

I haven't been so 100% absorbed in the moment-to-moment experience of a Zelda game since Majora's Mask. ALBW is SUPERB.

The combat is VASTLY superior to ALttP, or any of the 2D Zeldas. Even cutting grass has this raw power to it, thanks to the quick animation, hit detection and slicing sound effect.

The pacing is relentless. I'm two dungeons in, I have every item I can currently rent except the Fire Rod and Ice Rod, and I find myself exploring nonstop. Since you can warp to any of the save points you've activated, from anywhere at any time, there's nothing to discourage you from letting yourself get lost, since you can always warp back. And so I'm off -- bombing walls, pounding pegs, and merging into walls high and low. I'm wrapping my way around every corner of the map, reaching chests perched on cliffs, and bypassing obstacles I was about to give up on, only to have an "Aha!" moment at the last second, and realize I can merge my way around.

The game looks fantastic, too. So crisp, so clear. The 3D is brilliantly incorporated and THE way to play the game if you're capable of seeing the effect. And I dig the art style. It has all the charm of the SNES original -- more charm, I'd say, since the characters are so handsomely animated, and richer in detail due to the larger character models. It just looks fantastic, and of course sounds fantastic. Is this game fully orchestrated, because it sure sounds like it!

I don't have any nostalgia for ALttP, and despite trying twice I couldn't bring myself to complete that game. But ALBW is already so much faster, so much punchier, so much more FUN just to run around in.

This is the game that brings me back to Zelda. I hope this is indicative of the formula going forward. I'm flabbergasted they still have it in them to make Zeldas of this caliber.

Bravo!

Getting close to the end and sadly USgamer was right to a degree. I was expecting better in motion and it was okay at first, but as the game went on there came some really ugly visuals. Technically and also in art direction, probably the worst looking Zelda to date, as measured by the corresponding hardware anyway. Quite a shame, very good game otherwise.

Neiteio

Getting close to the end and sadly USgamer was right to a degree. I was expecting better in motion and it was okay at first, but as the game went on there came some real ugly visuals. Technically and also in art direction, probably the worst looking Zelda to date, as measured by the corresponding hardware anyway. Quite a shame, very good game otherwise.
Man, I'm only four hours in, but I couldn't disagree more. The game looks fantastic. Unless it suddenly switches to an entirely different graphic engine with entirely different assets and performance in the end-game, I really doubt my opinion is going to change for the worse.

Rnr1224

Already have 10 hours of this game and I am loving it! I never had an SNES but I do love alttp so I love seeing the similarities. I also love the nonlinearity of the dungeons with the rentable items. Gives a good sense of urgency to not die.

Maximus.

Just started the game and already loving it. Can't wait to dive deeper! So happy that there is a new awesome handheld Zelda. Was not happy with the DS offerings.

Hmm think I might grab this around xmas. Not a Zelda fan in the slightest after several tries to beat OoT, Windwaker, Seasons, and Twilight Princess a few times each but I keep hearing good things. Keep trying to figure out why people like this series so much but end up hating the games :/

OmegaZero

Getting close to the end and sadly USgamer was right to a degree. I was expecting better in motion and it was okay at first, but as the game went on there came some really ugly visuals. Technically and also in art direction, probably the worst looking Zelda to date, as measured by the corresponding hardware anyway. Quite a shame, very good game otherwise.

Unfortunately I agree. Lorule especially with its odd colors, repetitive textures and glossy-ish lighting looks just horrible imo.
The game is fantastic despite this. Some of the optional activities surprised me in their difficulty, and the dungeons are getting more creative.

Odrion

Banned
So there was some hinting before the release that there may be something more beyond Heroic Mode or whatever, does anyone know what it is?

Seik

Banned

i4CsOVpBY1CYv.gif

Nah, seriously, it's not the best looking Zelda, but the worst looking for me are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Track.

Unfortunately I agree. Lorule especially with its odd colors, repetitive textures and glossy-ish lighting looks just horrible imo.
The game is fantastic despite this. Some of the optional activities surprised me in their difficulty, and the dungeons are getting more creative.

Yeah, the more dungeons I've played, the harder it gets to deal with all these bland, monotone ,,shiny'' textures that just don't work. Some other stuff on the other hand feels ripped straight from PS1 days technically. Worst part is that I should have felt all that nostalgic excitement when the
OoT chamber of sages is introduced
, but instead I'm just underwhelmed that it looks less impressive than
OoT3D
Agreed on the second part, so far I only consider the ice dungeon quite bad. Desert was very good.

Nah, seriously, it's not the best looking Zelda, but the worst looking for me are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Track.

Yeah, they are also contenders. Especially PH which iirc completely lacked any kind of visual variety.

Socreges

Banned
Time for me to eat some crow. Not sure who I argued with, but I was convinced that ALBW would be more of a remix, but it really is entirely new.

... I've realized this for months, but had a longterm ban that just expired so my crow meal had to wait.

Only played 45 min or so, but itching to get more time in.

Man, I'm only four hours in, but I couldn't disagree more. The game looks fantastic. Unless it suddenly switches to an entirely different graphic engine with entirely different assets and performance in the end-game, I really doubt my opinion is going to change for the worse.

Agreed. I don't understand the hate at all. The game looks great to me, especially in 3D which is amazingly well done.

ramyeon

Not getting the hate for the graphics or art style either. There's so much personality in this, all the characters and locations have looked stunning so far. Just got into Lorule and I love it so far.

Princess Hilda is so badass.

The range on the improved spin attack is pretty ridiculous. Best attack in the game? It seems like it. Flying enemies will never be a bother again.

R.I.P

Just beat the third dungeon and noticed I could finally start buying items. Had enough rupees to buy the bow and bomb and went to upgrade them. THE UPGRADES ARE SO GOOD.
I love the bows triple shot and the bombs blast radius is huge now :D

So im in Skull Woods and theres a
Mysterious Man who wants 888 rupees for something
Does anyone know what it is before I shell out the cash?

bodine1231

Wow,I 1000% disagree. This is one of the best looking Zelda games ever.

GAMERG0D

Just beat the game, best Zelda ever.
Unitl MM 3D
Everything was perfect except maybe the graphics, they could have been better. There could have been more dialogue too.

FootballFan

Quick question, haven't played a Zelda game in a long time, will that worsen my experience? Is the story related to any previous games?

R0ckman

Speaking of Thieves' Hideout, did anyone else play through it convinced that
the prisoner girl was Blind the Thief, just like in LTTP only to be proved otherwise when Blind the Thief actually turns up from elsewhere as the boss?

It definitely threw me.

The game hints that that's not the case anymore BEFORE you enter the dungeon.

Bogeypop

The Maiamai remind me so much of the Secret Shells from Link's Awakening, hopefully they give a similar reward. I've just finished half of the Lorule dungeons so I think it's time to take a dungeon break and do some overworld exploring for Heart Pieces, Maiamais, and whatever other little secrets I can find.

Atrarock

Hyrule

1. Eastern Palace
2. House of Gales
3. Tower of Hera

Lorule

1. Dark Palace (that special chest....)
2. Thieves' Hideout (it wasn't a trap)
3. Turtle Rock (this place HURTS)
4. Skull Woods
5. Desert Palace (love the music for this place)
6. Swamp Palace
7. Ice Ruins (current location)

Game is really fun so far, I've died a few number of times so hero mode will definitely be a...real "treat" when I get there. Exploration is encouraged so damn much.

Robin64

The Maiamai remind me so much of the Secret Shells from Link's Awakening, hopefully they give a similar reward. I've just finished half of the Lorule dungeons so I think it's time to take a dungeon break and do some overworld exploring for Heart Pieces, Maiamais, and whatever other little secrets I can find.

The reward(s) they give make LA's look lame. :)

afoni

Banned
Order I did the dungeons coming up.

1. Eastern Palace
2. House of Gales
3. Tower of Hera
4. Swamp Palace
5. Skull Woods
6. Dark Palace
7. Turtle Rock
8. Thieves' Hideout
9. Ice Ruins
10. Desert Palace

I feel like 8 and 10 should have been done way earlier, haha. It's great that I get that different experience though.

Is something supposed to happen once I get to the throne room after getting the
three pendants and the master sword
? I'm pretty sure I've looked all over the castle

Do you feel cheap using the Hing Glasses? I don't know whether or not I should be using them..

There's no point in using them, I'd rather save my 3DS coins for something else. If you really need external help just use the Internet.

Their only cool use is maybe the look they give to Link when he's in painting mode. :p Also I believe they're needed for one StreetPass achievement.

Neiteio

There's no point in using them, I'd rather save my 3DS coins for something else. If you really need external help just use the Internet.

Their only cool use is maybe the look they give to Link when he's in painting mode. :p Also I believe they're needed for one StreetPass achievement.
What does Link look like through Hint Glasses in painting mode?

zoukka

This game makes my face glitter with tears of joy. After the first tutorial temple, you are free to roam the world and find a lot of the items needed to proceed on your own. They are not forced on you in temples, but free quests! Jesus christ and you can take the temples in the order you like...

No modern games have evoked this sense of pure level design magic in me for a longest time. A masterpiece already and I'm only 2 temples down.

Top Bottom