• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Neiteio

This game makes my face glitter with tears of joy. After the first tutorial temple, you are free to roam the world and find a lot of the items needed to proceed on your own. They are not forced on you in temples, but free quests! Jesus christ and you can take the temples in the order you like...

No modern games have evoked this sense of pure level design magic in me for a longest time. A masterpiece already and I'm only 2 temples down.
My feelings EXACTLY, and you're even at the same point as me. :)

This game makes my face glitter with tears of joy. After the first tutorial temple, you are free to roam the world and find a lot of the items needed to proceed on your own. They are not forced on you in temples, but free quests! Jesus christ and you can take the temples in the order you like...

No modern games have evoked this sense of pure level design magic in me for a longest time. A masterpiece already and I'm only 2 temples down.

It's the Zelda game for people getting bored of Zelda games. It's like, "You wanna play Zelda, huh bitch?... OK"

dock

Despite having completed ten or so Zeldas, I never got around to LTTP because I found the introduction a bit bland and generic (because I'd seen most of it used in other zelda games).

Should I force myself to play through LTTP before playing this? (and then wait for a while while).

I had similar trouble getting into Ocarina, but gave myself a deadline of completing it before the Wii came out, heh.

Neiteio

Like a green tunic wearing fairy boy with Groucho Marx glasses.
Ha, makes sense. :)

Despite having completed ten or so Zeldas, I never got around to LTTP because I found the introduction a bit bland and generic (because I'd seen most of it used in other zelda games).

Should I force myself to play through LTTP before playing this? (and then wait for a while while).

I had similar trouble getting into Ocarina, but gave myself a deadline of completing it before the Wii came out, heh.
You found the intro to ALTTP "bland?" That was the best part!

At any rate, I never cared for ALTTP. I say skip it and go straight to ALBW.

So I wanted to see how the hint glasses worked and discovered I had no play coins. I guess this is what happens when you don't take your 3DS out of the house. Tying in game things to playcoins is so dumb.

ramyeon

How can I get those weird shell-thingys from a tree?
I'm guessing you need the
Pegasus Boots
. Haven't got them yet myself but I've seen a Thief with them and ALttP tells me that's generally how you knock stuff down from high places lol.

Hermii

You might enjoy albw even more if you dont play altp because the overworld will be brand new to you.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Beat the game. So good.

I will admit I died once, mostly because I forgot I didn't have any fairy while I
was curious to see if you really could be killed for being a rupee stealing monster

Shinta

Banned
Finally got a chance to play this after pulling myself away from 3D World.

It's basically one of the best games I've ever played.

I'm not one to usually notice frames per second unless it's really bad, but both these games just look smooth as fucking silk. Just swinging Link's sword feels reallyyyyyyyyyyyy fucking good. The shield feels good; is this the first 2D Zelda with manual shield control? I don't remember. The arrows feel good, holding your shot while moving feels good.

The game is not ugly, and I think it looks great. The 3D is fantastic so far.

The first time I finally got to control the painting ability, I lost it. It just feels fantastic. It's fast, it's easy to jump in and out, he can walk and run. I just love it.

I'm at the tower of hera. Only completed one dungeon so far, and I'm at 5 hours already. This is easily a serious GOTY candidate for me so far.

Nintendo is developer of the year, easily. Fire Emblem, 3D World, Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Pokemon X, Mario Dream Team, Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Wii Sports Club, and on and on. No one else is even close this year.

I finished it. Very good game, the best 2D Zelda in a very long time, even if I don't think it's quite as good as the game it's imitating. The wall merging mechanic was very well done, and it was one of the best things about the game along with the desert palace. I'll try Hero mode to see how challenging that is. The extra damage sounds interesting, but the boss patterns are easy enough to figure out that I'm not sure that it will matter much.

I've gone through 5 dungeons now, the Desert Palace was a delight I tell you.
It makes great use of its core item which works very well with the games wall traversing gimmick.
I'm so happy they brought back the Sand Rod from Spirit Tracks, the desert dungeon in that game was fantastic as well. The sand rod may be incredibly situational yet its uniqueness makes for a fresh take on Zelda puzzle solving, I'm impressed at how well that adapted it to this different playstyle.
The boss also had me on the ropes, as in down to half of my last heart where taking a second longer to slay the beast would have had me killed since I'd gone into full on reckless mode in a desperate attempt to finally slay it, I saved my precious rentals by the skin of my teeth.

Mafro

How do you get the net from the bee guy in Kakariko? I have three empty bottles and he wants me to catch a bee, but I don't have the net in my inventory or anything.

Rich!

How do you get the net from the bee guy in Kakariko? I have three empty bottles and he wants me to catch a bee, but I don't have the net in my inventory or anything.

He just gave me a net the first time I talked to him.

Also, I'm satisfied that the final dungeon continued the tradition of
having the music slowly morph into Ganon's theme as you play through. Badass. Nothing beats Twilight Princess' Hyrule Castle though.

Kosen

Neo Member

He'll give you the net if you have at least one bottle when you talk to him.

Just started the game... and played for FOUR HOURS.

as usual neiteio's post got me all
EEjLPfA.png

Mafro

I believe he just straight up gives it to you. I could be wrong.

He'll give you the net if you have at least one bottle when you talk to him.

Yeah. Maybe the game has a glitch of some kind? It seems like the bee man has skipped the first interaction entirely.
I've got one now. I had three bottles, but one had a fairy in it so I guess all your bottles need to be empty for the proper conversation to trigger.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Beat the race with exactly 65.0 seconds on the clock. The game was even displaying the Failure text as I hit the A button to talk to the goal guy.

afoni

Banned
I have a single inventory slot missing.

Wondering if it's just a bottle or something.

Beat the race with exactly 65.0 seconds on the clock. The game was even displaying the Failure text as I hit the A button to talk to the goal guy.

I did the first one of those without the boots. I can't do the second for the life of me.

2 questions nerds =P

Do enemies respawn?
Should I go 3DSXL or with the 2D model? Is the 3D worth it?

I am looking to play some gaming this holiday that invokes the feels. Killzone is pretty but lifeless (I knew that going in). I still haven't opened Assassins Creed 4 and Battlefield 4 (may return to Amazon). Thanks in advance fellas/ladies.

Mecca

So I wanted to see how the hint glasses worked and discovered I had no play coins. I guess this is what happens when you don't take your 3DS out of the house. Tying in game things to playcoins is so dumb.

Close the 3DS while it's on and just shake it for about 5 minutes and you'll have enough coins. No need to go outside.

antispin

Any hints to getting the treasure chest east of
misery mire (the one that needs tornado and sand rods)
would be appreciated.
Got both fans running but then what?

Rich!

Any hints to getting the treasure chest east of
misery mire (the one that needs tornado and sand rods)
would be appreciated.
Got both fans running but then what?

You need to place sand pillars where the wind ends up making you land. Hard to explain it better than that.

Gartooth

I'm addicted to this game! Just got it yesterday morning, and I've already finished 7 dungeons.

Also I need a little bit of help, I'm concerned that my game is glitched. Right now I'm at
Dark Palace. there's a section where you need to light four eyes on the bottom floor in order to get to the boss. thing is I have no idea how to light the top left eye. When I go on to the third floor to check the windows, all six are already open.

Am I missing something or am I screwed?

Okamid3n

I've always wanted more of LttP's world. This game is all I could've wanted, and way, way more!

Personally, I think hero mode will be quite hard. 4 times the damage sounds brutal considering I have 9 hearts right now and some things hit me for 2 hearts. Then again, I do have 4 bottles.

On a side note, I agree that finding the pegasus boots was incredibly rewarding!
The way they play with your expectations to trick you was really cool.

MBR

Banned
I'm addicted to this game! Just got it yesterday morning, and I've already finished 7 dungeons.

Also I need a little bit of help, I'm concerned that my game is glitched. Right now I'm at
Dark Palace. there's a section where you need to light four eyes on the bottom floor in order to get to the boss. thing is I have no idea how to light the top left eye. When I go on to the third floor to check the windows, all six are already open.

Am I missing something or am I screwed?
Go into the room directly below and break the cracked floor.

This game is challenging, hell yeah!

Took me a few times to beat that metal hand boss, I had to go grab some fairies and upgrade my sword because that was one tough fight.

The path to the ice dungeon is pretty hard too, and now I'm scared to death because I have like 5 hearts left, this has never happened to me in a Zelda game, fearing what I might face in the next room...

Top Bottom