• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

I didn't even think the first part was all that linear. I mean, yeah the first 40 minutes are, but after beating the first dungeon, you can choose which of the next two dungeons you want to go next.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The biggest tip for baseball is to get the crows to appear. I believe it is three pots in a row with no misses to make it appear. Then just stand in neutral and swing as it is flying by. The ball will home in on it.

Auskeek

Man I'm so messy when I'm completing the dungeons. I always feel like I'm leaving a crapton of treasure and chests inside.

Also with the boss battles, I'm so happy they've done away with the "exploit weakness 3 times to win" thing.

I'm still on my first playthrough, nearing the end I think. I really want to finish this game so I can read up on how other people played the game. Certainly my favorite game of the year so far.

Rich!

Here I am, waiting patiently for the 3DS encryption to be cracked so I can rip the music straight from the game.

Hurry up, hackers.

Zornack

I just unlocked renting and I don't like how everything is unlocked from the start. It makes me feel like I should buy everything incase I need one at some point and now I have a bunch of items with no idea what should be used where. I don't think it's overwhelming but I do feel like I used a cheat code to bypass the game's item progression.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just unlocked renting and I don't like how everything is unlocked from the start. It makes me feel like I should buy everything incase I need one at some point and now I have a bunch of items with no idea what should be used where.

Explore.

Explore. Check out the dungeons, see what you need, use fast travel to go back to the shop, get what you need, go back and advance.

Rich!

Sooooo

I finished normal mode with three deaths. So far, I've only got as far as the Tower of Hera in hero mode and I've died about twenty times.

oh my god

Is renting the only way to get items? Can they also be found in the dungeons?

Yep - ravio has all the weapons. You can buy the weapons from ravio after you have the master sword. Later dungeons do have upgrades and gear to discover though.

I just unlocked renting and I don't like how everything is unlocked from the start. It makes me feel like I should buy everything incase I need one at some point and now I have a bunch of items with no idea what should be used where. I don't think it's overwhelming but I do feel like I used a cheat code to bypass the game's item progression.

There really isn't much of a reason not to rent everything.

Explore.

Explore. Check out the dungeons, see what you need, use fast travel to go back to the shop, get what you need, go back and advance.

To be honest, that's a waste of time on normal.

Rich!

Yeah, on normal just rent all that shit

Likelyhood of you dying is low as long as you stock up on fairies. And even if you don't, there's fairy fountains in every single dungeon.

Rich!

Holy shit, I'm the top poster in this thread by a fucking mile.

This game is too good gaf, I want everyone to play it

Rich!

I've already got one mate to buy it by describing it as Zelda meets Dark Souls, and I've got another person interested.

I mean, considering Hero Mode, my description isn't too far off. I'm finding myself having to use the shield to defend and attack whilst able to just like I did in Dark Souls. Same for the threat of imminent death around every corner, and the reliance on potions (alá estus flasks!)

Another good way of describing it is the return of this:

its-dangerous-11.gif

taoofjord

Just beat the second dungeon. What do you guys think about renting items? I'm not sure yet, myself, but it's weird being able to rent all the items at once. I don't know if that makes it less fun or not, so I have to play more/think on it. But it's certainly an interesting concept. When I think of the alternative of only being able to rent 1 or 2 items at a time, the only thing that would add is backtracking so I guess this is the better way. But maybe they shouldn't be priced equally?

Rich!

Seriously, if Wii U Zelda takes inspiration from LBW then I think we just may have one of the greatest games ever made

my wii u purchase is justified

Just beat the second dungeon. What do you guys think about renting items? I'm not sure yet, myself, but it's weird being able to rent all the items at once. I don't know if that makes it less fun or not, so I have to play more/think on it. But it's certainly an interesting concept. When I think of the alternative of only being able to rent 1 or 2 items at a time, the only thing that would add is backtracking so I guess this is the better way. But maybe they shouldn't be priced equally?

IMO it makes the game even more exciting and fast paced than before. It also opens up the dungeons to even more mind-bending puzzles than the normal Zelda dungeons have (due to the fact you have the entire arsenal from the start)

I'm being serious when I say that this game has the best dungeons of the entire series. They rival Stone Tower Temple - they're that good.

I do have to say I'm disappointed the equivalent of Ganon's Tower didn't appear in this game. That was brutal in LTTP.

Actually for me personally the Pegasus Boots tripped me up for a while because
the guy that gives them to you mimics a similar dude in ALttP that you need the Pegasus Boots to catch.
Exactly the same here.
When I saw him running away, I just wrote him off as another thing to take care of, once I get the boots.
You got me good there, Nintendo.

I must also note that I like the updated looks of the guy from my avatar. He seems to have gotten a bit lazy though, no longer spinning around all the time.

It's pretty damn great overall, actually.

Moff

goddamn I love this game, my concerns in the beginning were washed away, I'm 18 hours in and have 2 sages left, damn this game feels good. thats the biggest difference to the crappy DS games, simply walking and slashing feels so goddamn good. dungeon design is good, too, I actually had to start using my brain in the water and turtle dungeon, nice.
and I dont think exploring has ever been that much fun in a zelda game, thanks to 60 fps, the great gameplay and the nicely hidden heart pieces and miamias, its really motivating to look for them.

oh, and I just managed to score over 100 points in octobaseball, It actually started to be fun as soon as I realized its simply about not hitting the same spot twice. I might actually use this to make rupees in my hero game.

afoni

Banned
I hope Zelda U takes a leaf from this game, but I hope it doesn't grab the whole tree and uproot it. In fact, I hope it smokes those leaves in an oven before using them.

pariah164

What are the must haves on the 3DS?
My personal must-haves:

Link Between Worlds (obvs.)
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Pokemon X/Y
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Super Mario 3D Land
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Style Savvy: Trendsetters

That last one is not sarcastic; that game is actually pretty fucking awesome.

afoni

Banned
Seeing as Kid Icarus isn't on your list, I'm just going to assume you haven't played it.

I BETTER BE RIGHT.

Rich!

To anyone thinking about getting a 3DS:

Picross E, E2, and E3 will suck up your free time like no other game in existence. I mean fuck, Picross E3 only came out two weeks ago and I've already spent 30 hours on it

versa7il

Anytime I play this game for 1+ hours in 3D and stop playing I get this weird 3d effect on my monitor like the text is popping out or something. Is that normal?

Rich!

Anytime I play this game for 1+ hours in 3D and stop playing I get this weird 3d effect on my monitor like the text is popping out or something. Is that normal?

Yeah, I got that for the first few weeks when I first got a 3DS at launch. Fucking trippy.

Your mind will adjust to it. Never happens to me anymore.

I think that happens to most. I know it did to me, when I first got my 3DS. After a while, you get used to the 3D and the effect disappears. I kind of miss it.

This game is my new favorite of the Zelda series, I am loving the servers and the dungeons it just never stops being excellent. Love that some iitemsare only attainible by the painting feature!

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
and I thought the game was fun and open-ended when I was just in Hyrule. By the time you reach Lorule, the game opens up so much, it's crazy. This may have supplanted Link to the Past as the best Zelda overworld. Time will tell, but damn if they didn't nail the world(s) in this game.

Just finished the first dungeon last night, and the game is pretty great.

My only concern so far, and this might change as I progress further into the game, is how boring and devoid of things to do Kakariko village is compared to games like The Minish Cap and Majora's Mask. I loved how in The Minish Cap, the town itself was a puzzle to navigate and explore, but this game seems to have given that sort of thing up, just to be more true to A Link to the Past.

I'm not sure how I feel about the game taking place in the same general world as A Link to the Past yet, rather than something new, but even where I have my doubts, the incredible gameplay makes up for any problems I have.

DaBoss

My only complaint is the dungeons are too short. They are well made, but short. The Ice Palace was the only one I felt wasn't short. Well there is the visuals in the overworld outside of the dungeons that don't look great.

I wonder if those mini-dungeons with treasure are some of the mini-dungeon concepts that they had made to show the potential.

pdnyc

Neo Member
Anyone know when you can buy items? Do you have to die first? Whenever I go to the shop I'm only getting the rent option. I'm still early in the game, only just completed the 2nd dungeon.

Top Bottom