• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

R0ckman

My only complaint is the dungeons are too short. They are well made, but short. The Ice Palace was the only one I felt wasn't short. Well there is the visuals in the overworld outside of the dungeons that don't look great.

I wonder if those mini-dungeons with treasure are some of the mini-dungeon concepts that they had made to show the potential.

Nah the dungeons are about as long as in ALttP, its just when you are a veteran you can fly through them. They also cut out a lot of back track dungeons.

oti

Banned
I... I finished the game in 15h. Loved every single second of it and couldn't stop playing. Feels good. :)

Next up are Wind Waker (first time for me) and Mario 3D World. After that... I'll replay this I guess.

BZ2kGg8IIAAJTI-.jpg

R0ckman

Wife found an easter egg.
If you use the sand rod on those sand monsters from the first game, they'll pop out of the sand and run around in their undies or I guess speedos?

I really wish I had a 3DS, but I don't play games that much anymore. The Lost Woods theme is damn amazing, and the use of merging into the walls is pretty creative during areas in the game.

I just did my first dungeon in Lorule:
Skull Woods
and damn if I didn't have terrifying flashbacks to Link to the Past because that area scared me to death as a kid.

I am loving this game to death right now. The Lorule overworld music is just amazing. Also I loved how the game did dungeons 2 and 3 (I don't think this is spoilery at all but just in case):
you can choose the order you do them in, but because you need a specific item from Ravio to get into them they still had the "dungeon designed around a specific weapon you get" Zelda feel.

I love my 3DS. Between Fire Emblem, SMTIV, Pokemon, Phoenix Wright, and this, this year has been amazing.

izzyizzyizzy

Neo Member
This game is great. So much little stuff to do. After getting to Lorule and beating the
Kakariko
dungeon I decided to head to the
sand palace
one. An hour and a half later I finally got inside it. So much wandering around aimlessly doing nothing really. I suggest you buy the bombs when you get a chance, there seems to be endless caves to enter.

R0ckman

Did they get rid of the Dark World Forest theme from ALttP? I don't remember hearing it.

The Wall Master scared the shit out of me in this game. Just like the old days lol.

pariah164

Stuck in
Desert Palace:

There's a chest I can't get to. It's on 2F, and it's in the room where you get to the ledge while dodging spikes, right before the room that leads to 3F. There's no visible way to get to this chest. No wall to climb, and my sand rod doesn't work.
What do?

What do you get for beating the "Endless" Cucco minigame? Assuming it isn't technically Endless, lol. Is it even possible to beat it? Or is it just so you can see how long you can last for fun?

I got the heart piece from the Rooster level.

R0ckman

Stuck in
Desert Palace:

There's a chest I can't get to. It's on 2F, and it's in the room where you get to the ledge while dodging spikes, right before the room that leads to 3F. There's no visible way to get to this chest. No wall to climb, and my sand rod doesn't work.
What do?

Under the right side where the demon statue is is a hidden path.

Sane_Man

Just beat the game on hero mode. Even better than the first time. They should have had the option open from the start though as I found the default mode a bit too much of a breeze at times.

Some of the early dungeons before I could stock up on heart pieces were rough. Some bosses were one hit killing me.

Doesn't add much? It changes literally everything.

It really doesn't. It gives you instant access to every weapon in the game, and makes it easier to do dungeons in different orders (though some of that was already possible in ALTTP.) But dungeon design isn't radically different, except now they have to limit puzzles to items you need to enter the area, and place convenient bomb enemies all over the place.

afoni

Banned
Man, one of the most disappointing things about this game is the fact that the soundtrack has barely any original tracks in it. It's mostly just re-done bits from LTTP and other games.

DaBoss

So I have one Maiamai left, and I can't find it at all.

It's in the Graveyard/Witch's House/Zora's Domain area in Hyrule. I got no clue where it is. I've been everywhere 4 times to hear some chirping.

EDIT: It was in the Witch's House......lol. Thank god I needed potions lol.
Man, one of the most disappointing things about this game is the fact that the soundtrack has barely any original tracks in it. It's mostly just re-done bits from LTTP and other games.
Yea, that's true.

Porcile

What do you get for beating the "Endless" Cucco minigame? Assuming it isn't technically Endless, lol. Is it even possible to beat it? Or is it just so you can see how long you can last for fun?

I got the heart piece from the Rooster level.

Well, according to Iwata Asks, no one at Mario Club could even 'beat' it.

Rich!

I do love the lorule dungeon themes. Each one is a variation of the Death Mountain march theme, based on the type of dungeon it is (ice, fire, water, etc).

It's amazing.

Rich!

I don't like the change to the skull woods theme. And the lighting too. They took away all the atmosphere that place had.

Like I said before, the Skull Woods needs the Death Mountain march music and the eerie fog. It's like a goddamn playground otherwise.

Disappointing.

So, I'm mixed about the item system.

On the one hand, getting access to most of the main items at the beginning of the game means there is very little that bars you from finding most of the overworld secrets. In that sense, it's really awesome.

At the same time, there's really no reason why they couldn't have given you early access to the basic items (bow, boomerang, bombs), but worked the magic rods, hammer, and hookshot into the actual dungeons where they're necessary. These items aren't really "needed" to get to the dungeons, outside of the creators forcing item puzzles into the entryways. The game could have been just as non-linear with a different structure.

That said, I really like the
optional upgrade items in the Lorule dungeons

Otherwise, A Link Between Worlds is my favorite Zelda title since Ocarina of Time. It can't quite top it, since Ocarina of Time had such fantastic world-building/lore due to things like the execution of the races, the really tightly-incorporated NPCs, and that general feeling that they were really expanding the universe. But as far as the "game" experience, it might actually be the best.

Porcile

So basically is not humanly possible to beat it.

Shikata: Another one is a minigame with cuccos. It's easy at first, but the difficulty gradually increases. I couldn't clear the highest level. I don't think anyone on the staff did. I suppose after release only a few people in the world will...

Iwata: You made it that challenging?!

Mouri: I asked Mario Club, and no one could clear the hardest level.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/a-link-between-worlds/0/6

I feel dumb. It took me more tries than I'd like to admit to get through
the Lost Woods for the Master Sword
. I had to really focus on that final part to keep track of all 3, lol.

FaintDeftone

I like how the dungeons are not crazy long this time around. I hated having to spend tons of hours in one dungeon (looking at you, Skyward Sword).

DaBoss

So I have gotten all heart pieces, and I've confirmed that looking at the GamesRadar list, but I'm one less heart container short, so instead of 20 hearts, I only have 19. I saved all of the sages, so I want to get all 20 hearts first.

How many bosses give full heart containers? 9 right?

Conor 419

Banned
It really doesn't. It gives you instant access to every weapon in the game, and makes it easier to do dungeons in different orders (though some of that was already possible in ALTTP.) But dungeon design isn't radically different, except now they have to limit puzzles to items you need to enter the area, and place convenient bomb enemies all over the place.

Yeah, and this is great, it's how Zelda should be.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Golden Bee does more damage than the regular bee? I'm in my Hero Mode run right now, and I'm thinking a bee will help tremendously with one-shot Lorule, but outside of distraction the damage is pathetic. If the Golden Bee gets at least arrow damage though that could be a real life saver.

R.I.P

I feel dumb. It took me more tries than I'd like to admit to get through
the Lost Woods for the Master Sword
. I had to really focus on that final part to keep track of all 3, lol.

haha, this took me quite a few tries as well, I was actually kinda annoyed
that it got easier the more times you failed, made me feel dumb :/

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
How does the dungeon length compare with that of ALttP? I'm currently replaying that and kinda forgot that the first 4, 5 dungeons are a matter of minutes.

haha, this took me quite a few tries as well, I was actually kinda annoyed
that it got easier the more times you failed, made me feel dumb :/

Yeah, when it started
removing ghosts, I know the game looked upon me with pity and I felt bad.
lol

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I didn't expect to get nostalgia-blasted with such laser accuracy right out of the gate with that LttP opening jingle remix. Talk about setting a tone :eek:

TheExodu5

Banned
Absolutely loving the game (2 dungeons into Lorule). I never expected much from this game, but after playing it for a while, this is definitely a worthy successor to LttP. The controls are very responsive. The game looks gorgeous in person, especially with 60fps and in 3D. Dungeons are fun and very LttPish, though I wouldn't mind it if the puzzles were harder and more like the 3D Zeldas. If I had to complain, it would be that the opening still wasn't as good as LttP, though at least it was short and way more bearable than the 3D Zeldas. And while the game does look gorgeous, the art style leaves a bit to be desired.

All in all though, this looks like it could take the #1 Zelda spot for me.

oatmeal

Banned
Game is still incredible after 2 Lorule dungeons...

BUT...

I tried to get into the desert dungeon...but needed an item that didn't open up in the rental shop until AFTER i beat kakariko...

Does that mean you aren't free to go to any level?

D-Pad

Soooooo (post game spoilers)
what's in Ravio's bag? I'm guessing it's what ever he uses to cross between worlds but...

DaBoss

lmao, I found the missing heart container. I apparently forgot to take the heart container in the
Turtle Rock
dungeon. I'm guessing I couldn't see it due to the lava making the heart container hard to see.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Game is still incredible after 2 Lorule dungeons...

BUT...

I tried to get into the desert dungeon...but needed an item that didn't open up in the rental shop until AFTER i beat kakariko...

Does that mean you aren't free to go to any level?

Desert Palace is the only Lorule dungeon that requires you to complete another dungeon (Thief Hideout) first to be able to get the item needed to enter it.

Sendou

I've really liked the dungeons so far. Just did
Thieves' Den/Hideout?
and it was designed just as brilliantly as the previous dungeons. I like how they're not very long and you can breeze through them as fast as your skills let you.

I can't give enough credits to the fluid 60FPS action and controls. Good stuff.

oatmeal

Banned
Desert Palace is the only Lorule dungeon that requires you to complete another dungeon (Thief Hideout) first to be able to get the item needed to enter it.

Thanks!

What are the odds that I would try the first one...then the second one...in that order?

Top Bottom