• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Vortex566

I've really liked the dungeons so far. Just did
Thieves' Den/Hideout?
and it was designed just as brilliantly as the previous dungeons. I like how they're not very long and you can breeze through them as fast as your skills let you.

I can't give enough credits to the fluid 60FPS action and controls. Good stuff.

This! It really is a pick up and play Zelda.

georly

Desert Palace is the only Lorule dungeon that requires you to complete another dungeon (Thief Hideout) first to be able to get the item needed to enter it.

You were free to try! That's still a step up from other zeldas where they wont even let you try. Most of them wouldnt even let you enter the desert until you had the requisite item.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm loving the game so far but I think I prefer the classic structure instead of the renting system. Especially the fact that you have a go back to you house and waste money everytime you die.

oatmeal

Banned
You were free to try! That's still a step up from other zeldas where they wont even let you try. Most of them wouldnt even let you enter the desert until you had the requisite item.

This is true.

I'd just heard "GO ANYWHERE DO ANY DUNGEON IN ANY ORDER" and assumed that that I was just an idiot for not figuring it out.

JonCha

Lost Woods is pissing me off now. I keep failing on the final bit - every entrance seems to be covered so I just have to guess ...

georly

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Did anyone else try to use the sand rod against the geldmans?

800px-GeldmanWall.png

Do it. Do it now.

Also, just noticed in the Desert palace there are strains of hearts/rupees painted on the wall in a way that when you collect them they play little songs.

Sendou

Played some Endless mode in the minigame where you have to dodge cuccoos. Got 192.27 seconds. Reward was
100 rupees lol!
So who is the cuccoo dodge king of the hill around these parts?

They talked about something interesting in the Iwata Asks:

My theory is that the "Endless" mode ends after 999.99 seconds and that would be how you clear it. Makes more sense since getting just 100 seconds is fairly easy I think.

DaBoss

Played some Endless mode in the minigame where you have to dodge cuccoos. Got 192.27 seconds. Reward was
100 rupees lol!

My theory is that the "Endless" mode ends after 999.99 seconds and that would be how you clear it. Makes more sense since getting just 100 seconds is fairly easy I think.

I'm the king! ~250 seconds here.

And that's what I think too.

georly

100 rupees lol!

Im pretty sure I read out there that it cut off for someone at 999. I think the reward was still 100 rupees :(

Ragus

Banned
Just beat the 2nd dungeon. I really liked the use of 3D
during boss fight. I thought that the eye tower would jump out from my 3ds screen ;)
. By the way, it was a very fun dungeon. Though not a really big one, it was full of clever riddles.

And after killing the 2nd boss and leaving the dungeon, there were no long cinematic cutscenes, no unnecessary dialogue, and no fucking Fi with all her "HEY DUMBASS NOW GO THERE GODDAMNIT". I left the dungeon and... I just could go on with my adventure.

Lovely, just lovely. If the experience is so perfectly crafted till the end, then this may end as my top 3 Zelda of all time.

during boss fight. I thought that the eye tower would jump out from my 3ds screen ;)
. By the way, it was a very fun dungeon. Though not a really big one, it was full of clever riddles.

And after killing the 2nd boss and leaving the dungeon, there were no long cinematic cutscenes, no unnecessary dialogue, and no fucking Fi with all her "HEY DUMBASS NOW GO THERE GODDAMNIT". I left the dungeon and... I just could go on with my adventure.

Lovely, just lovely. If the experience is so perfectly crafted till the end, then this may end as my top 3 Zelda of all time.

IMO, the game gets way better after you hit Lorule.

Sendou

I'm the king! ~250 seconds here.

And that's what I think too.

16 and half minutes of that dodging... I'm not going to try that lol.

The game hasn't even started yet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I've found where the last piece of heart is but I'm too dumb to work out how to get it. Will come back to it later.

It's just to the west of the Tower of Hera. It's on a small ledge.

georly

So I've found where the last piece of heart is but I'm too dumb to work out how to get it. Will come back to it later.

It's just to the west of the Tower of Hera. It's on a small ledge.

Become a painting and then DROP DOWN halfway through the two bumps in the volcano.

pariah164

Is it worth upgrading all the weapons?

Also, if you upgrade the bombs, do you have to continue to use the bomb flower on large rocks in Lorule?

Is it worth upgrading all the weapons?

Also, if you upgrade the bombs, do you have to continue to use the bomb flower on large rocks in Lorule?

You still have to use the bomb flower. It's worth upgrading the ones you use, and the ice/fire rods are both very useful and have a dungeon designed around their use.

DaBoss

Just finished the game and holy shit...I didn't see that ending coming at all. Great story.

Not really a spoiler, but gonna spoiler tag it anyways
Captain should stay as a painting, the guy looks ugly.

On another note, I like how they give a reason for the Zoras to be attacking people.

Yeah the Pegasus Boots crap threw me for a pretty big loop too. :/ Oh well.

EDIT:
Just finished the game and holy shit...I didn't see that ending coming at all.

INORITE? It was actually pretty good IMO, especially with the implied moral of
It's not what you're doing, it's how you're doing it that matters.

In other news, just beat the Swamp Palace on my Hero mode run. Sort of wishing I had chosen some other dungeon first, since now the game is going to be twice as forgiving now that I have the blue mail.
Maybe next time I'll do a Hero Mode, no buy, no heart piece, no Blue Mail run.

Danielsan

Loving the game so far. I was extremely skeptical about the item renting at first, but it's actually fantastic. I love the fact that you can tackle the dungeons in whatever order and that you don't feel constricted in the over world. And besides, there is still some item and skill gating.

Also, thank fucking god for the wallet in this game. Wallet caps were the worst.

Still two Lorule dungeons to go. The dungeon design has been generally great so far, but I will say that the
Tower of Hera
has been my favourite thus far.

frogg609

So I've never played Link to the Past (had a Genesis and no SNes growing up). Am I going to feel lost playing this without the background at all?

Sendou

Yeah the Pegasus Boots crap threw me for a pretty big loop too. :/ Oh well.

Just figured out how to get them! I think it's fairly logical even if the game doesn't underline it.

So I've never played Link to the Past (had a Genesis and no SNes growing up). Am I going to feel lost playing this without the background at all?

Nah. I hardly played ALTTP at all but I've had no problems. You're going to miss some references but this isn't the kind of game that leans to nostalgia without own merits.

You'll miss out on the nostalgia and references, but you won't be lost. It's still a great 2D Zelda game without any of that.

Kazerei

Banned
I just finished the game.
I was genuinely surprised when Ravio showed up and took off his hood. Wow. I haven't been surprised by a Zelda game in a long time. I suppose I should've expected a Hero of Lorule based on the short scenes of Hilda talking in private. And Ravio giving you that bracelet was a little suspicious. But it never crossed my mind that Ravio was the Hero. Cool twist.

georly

I just finished the game.
I was genuinely surprised when Ravio showed up and took off his hood. Wow. I haven't been surprised by a Zelda game in a long time. I suppose I should've expected a Hero of Lorule based on the short scenes of Hilda talking in private. And Ravio giving you that bracelet was a little suspicious. But it never crossed my mind that Ravio was the Hero. Cool twist.

I just kinda assumed he was dead, because of everything hilda said. Was a very pleasant surprise. Best story in a zelda game in years, and that's funny because it's also way less a part of the game.

afoni

Banned
The treasure chest in
Lorule Castle in the second highest floor.

It's in the room above the main room.

Makes sense that I missed it then, because
I saw those chests on the map and was a bit too excited about being so close to the end of the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Become a painting and then DROP DOWN halfway through the two bumps in the volcano.
I actually went back with a clear mind and realise that while I had gone past that hole so many times and assumed it was a false exit from the cave before I had never once stepped foot in it.

I feel dumb.

Top Bottom