• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

DaBoss

Difficulty is definitely a weak point for the game; Hero Mode should alleviate that of course, but it's locked away for some reason. It's kind of odd that Wind Waker HD has it available right away but not this game.
To be fair, Wind Waker is a remake/port, while ALBW is a new game.

What weapons did you guys upgraded first? I tested all of them out and went with the hook shot first. The hammer is probably my second weapon to upgrade.

The bow. 3 arrows instead of 1 makes a huge difference especially in Hero Mode where you're relying much more on ranged attacks.
Also, upgrading the sand rod right before doing the sand dungeon will make it much easier.

Tuck

Guess I suck, I'm finding the game's combat pretty challenging. Haven't died much though, as a heart is pretty easy to find.

How easy is it? TP easy (mobs do zero damages, can't die even if you try)? I heard it's very similar to Alttp which is my favorite Zelda, but I became wary of the series after the last episodes (Both on DS and home console). I just got a 3DS so I still have a bunch of stuff to play, I'm tempted to buy it, but maybe I should wait for a cheap, used copy.

Combat works mostly like it does in ALTTP, damage is decent and some enemies are rather aggressive, but it's mostly easier because sword swings have much better hitboxes this time around and some of your weapons get crazy powerful especially once upgraded.

Eusis

When do I get to buy (to own) the dungeon items?
The earliest I believe is when you get the Master Sword. At least I went back there and he made the offer to let me buy, and I hadn't been to Lorule or even
broke the barrier
at that time.

Gartooth

I'm loving this game, it gives me the freedom of exploration and detailed world that I have been yearning for for a long time.

Definitely in my top 5 favorite Zelda's and the game in the series I've enjoyed the most since Wind Waker back on GameCube. 2D Zelda has successfully survived the DS touch Zelda nightmare.

The bow. 3 arrows instead of 1 makes a huge difference especially in Hero Mode where you're relying much more on ranged attacks.
Also, upgrading the sand rod right before doing the sand dungeon will make it much easier.

I upgraded all equipment but honestly I rarely use most of the items out side of when they it was needed. I know in Link to the Past I used them more often. Hopefully hero mode will will be hard enough that I will have to use them more.

Robin64

So the only thing left I believe on my first file is to beat all the streetpass challenges.

Kind of annoyed those don't work cross-saves. Figure I'll try and 100% my normal save but the Hero Mode one I'll just be happy enough to beat the game on.

I upgraded all equipment but honestly I rarely use most of the items out side of when they it was needed. I know in Link to the Past I used them more often. Hopefully hero mode will will be hard enough that I will have to use them more.

It's the complete opposite for me and doesn't have much to do with difficulty. In A Link to the Past the magic gauge didn't refill itself so you would be thinking twice before using magic items. In A Link Between Worlds, the auto-refill incites players to use magic items. Some may think it's overpowered or something but I like this system more, since you'll still have to micromanage the gauge use considering non-magic items (bombs/bow/boomerang etc.) do consume stamina this time around. It really felt awkward at first when boomerang used endurance though lol.

Neiteio

It's the complete opposite for me and doesn't have much to do with difficulty. In A Link to the Past the magic gauge didn't refill itself so you would be thinking twice before using magic items. In A Link Between Worlds, the auto-refill incites players to use magic items. Some may think it's overpowered or something but I like this system more, since you'll still have to micromanage the gauge use considering non-magic items (bombs/bow/boomerang etc.) do consume stamina this time around. It really felt awkward at first when boomerang used endurance though lol.
Yeah, the new gauge-based system is a huge improvement, IMO

Beaten three of the Lorule dungeons (
Thieve's Town, Desert Palace, and Swamp Palace in that order
). This game is amazing. Really hard to put down. Spent a lot of time just exploring and getting Heart Pieces, Maimais, and what have you. This level of freedom is what all Zeldas should aspire to I think.

EDIT: Concerning the energy gauge, I'd be okay with it returning provided the non-magic based equipment doesn't use it. I'd much rather see a arrow and bomb ammo so I don't have to wait on them and things like the Hookshot and Boomerang really shouldn't use it at all (in these particular regards it feels like they use it because they're Ravio items, not because it makes any logical gameplay sense). But a refilling magic meter is a good idea.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm missing something on the Gear screen. In the section with Ravio's bracelet, the lower middle slot is empty. What is it?

watershed

Banned
Difficulty wise this game has been harder than Skyward Sword and Minish Cap for me. It is on the easy side but there are ways to make it more challenging if you want to push yourself. The dungeons are still clever and inventive though and everything is fun enough that I don't mind the difficulty level.

Platy

I am entering the second dungeun ... but doing lots of subquests.

When can I buy items ?
Is it only on Lorule or when I die I can buy the items I borrowed or something ?

Kjellson

I just beat it. Great game, but I'm really confused about one thing:

I've seen Shadow/Dark Link as official artwork, but he wasn't in the game. Did I miss something or something?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just beat it. Great game, but I'm really confused about one thing:

I've seen Shadow/Dark Link as official artwork, but he wasn't in the game. Did I miss something or something?

He's the Streetpass feature. Streetpass people who have played the game and you'll fight their Link (as a Shadow Link) for bounty by finding them on the field. The better equipped the Shadow Link is, the more rupees you get for beating it.

He's the Streetpass feature. Streetpass people who have played the game and you'll fight their Link (as a Shadow Link) for bounty by finding them on the field. The better equipped the Shadow Link is, the more rupees you get for beating it.

I don't entirely understand Streetpass. Would Shadow Link only appear if he/she was within a certain vicinity of where I was currently playing my 3DS? Or does it match you with anybody?

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Shadow Links are AI controlled, the only thing the user who sent it via StreetPass decides is his equipment. So StreetPass someone who got his Shadow Link set up, the game will send its data to yours and he'll appear somewhere on the field. Find him and fight him for cash.

Neiteio

I don't entirely understand Streetpass. Would Shadow Link only appear if he/she was within a certain vicinity of where I was currently playing my 3DS? Or does it match you with anybody?
Here's how StreetPass works:

You put your system in Sleep Mode. Then you carry it with you as walk in public. Whenever you walk by someone else who has a 3DS in Sleep Mode -- or whenever you walk by a store that has the relay system set up collecting StreetPass data -- your system will exchange data, not just for Zelda but for all StreetPass-enabled games you have. Then, the next time you play Zelda, no matter where you are or when you do it, you'll be able to fight the Shadow Link set up by the person you StreetPassed. The computer controls the Shadow Link and if you beat it, you get the bounty. Then when the battle is over, you're back at full health with all of your items, even if you lost the battle.

Kjellson

Ah! Well that cleared things up a bit. Thanks!

I expected him to pop up in the ending cutscene any second, lol.

Hiccup

Banned
Wow. I can't believe Nintendo did this for me. I bought Zelda through the eShop on Friday and today on a whim I bought the new Zelda XL which came with Zelda download code. I called them up and they revoked my license from the Zelda I bought on Friday and immediately the game disappeared [good thing I backed up my save file] and they gave me the 39.99 refund to the eShop.

So now I have the new Zelda XL and Zelda eShop code and the 39.99 on the eshop. Awesome!!!!!!

mjc

I didn't wanna make an extra thread for this question, but I thought if ask you guys here. I bought one of the Zelda 3DSXLs, and system transferred from my old 3DS. I moved my SD card over too, but I keep getting a message on my new DS that the card isn't being found or accessed. I did get it to access the stuff on there once...so it all showed up on the home screen. But now it doesn't pull anything out.

Is my SD card corrupted? I suppose I can try and plug it into my computer and move it to a new one...

I'm finding this game to be great with difficulty. It's not as unforgiving as A Link to the Past, but enemies do decent damage and Fairies only heal five or so hearts. Bosses do seem rather simple, though, and I'm sure the smaller dungeons have been addressed. I don't spam items; I like being aggressive, so I might be getting hit a lot more often. I love being able to use the items more than I did in A Link to the Past, though. I never came close to dying, but I was at least forced to use a Fairy, something recent games didn't do at all.

I love how even though I have every item available, the game still rewards me for finding big chests in dungeons. I really like how open ended the game is; I'm still looking for items that have been hinted at, and I have no idea where to find them. And I love it!

Seda

I wasn't thinking I'd do this right away, but I think I might just jump into Hero Mode. The difficulty was problem the one thing I took most issue with in the game, although Zelda games are typically easy in the first place. Hero Mode sounds like it will improve my already great experience with the game tremendously.

georly

The stupid tower is really tough on hero mode. I wonder if I should come back w/ full upgrades. Some of those attacks do 6 hearts :(

I can't seem to find the Sand Rod... It's still not for sale/rent in the shop. I was going to do the Desert Palace first, but I think I need the Sand Rod in order to get access to it. Anyone know where to find it?

---

On the plus side, I got 100 rupees on the baseball thing on my 2nd try. It's not too bad. Is there a heart piece from the Rupee Rush minigames, too?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I can't seem to find the Sand Rod... It's still not for sale/rent in the shop. I was going to do the Desert Palace first, but I think I need the Sand Rod in order to get access to it. Anyone know where to find it?

You need to finish the Thief Hideout dungeon. The Sage imprisoned in the painting that's inside that dungeon has it.

Top Bottom