• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Seda

I can't seem to find the Sand Rod... It's still not for sale/rent in the shop. I was going to do the Desert Palace first, but I think I need the Sand Rod in order to get access to it. Anyone know where to find it?

You have to beat Thieves' Hideout

Rich!

I can't seem to find the Sand Rod... It's still not for sale/rent in the shop. I was going to do the Desert Palace first, but I think I need the Sand Rod in order to get access to it. Anyone know where to find it?

Ask yourself this: who has the sand rod? You know the answer. You know what happened to him.

Serrato

You need to finish the Thieve's Hideout (in the alternate Kakariko village) to unlock the rod.

Why is Octoball Derby so annoying :(

I actually kinda liked it. The main thing is to just know that swinging early = the ball goes to the right. Swinging on time = middle. Swinging late = left side. Try to get 3 in a row and then the crow will come which gives 20 points. And you can alternate kinda between the middle/back/front pots by changing your stance to get the 3, and if you run low on pots, try to hit one of the monsters to make them respawn.

DaBoss

So I've been thinking about routes to take for whatever the goal is (i.e. 100%, speedrun, speedrun+100%, and etc).

Does anyone have a list of items that you can get in the dungeons, spoiler tag them too.

Ones I know are:
Dark Palace: Master Ore
Desert Palace: Titan Mitts
Swamp Palace: Blue Mail
Ice Palace: That scroll thing that increases your meter

I don't remember the rest.

Rich!

So I've been thinking about routes to take for whatever the goal is (i.e. 100%, speedrun, speedrun+100%, and etc).

Does anyone have a list of items that you can get in the dungeons, spoiler tag them too.

Ones I know are:

red mail in Lorule Castle

Seda

Ones I know are:

Thieves' Hideout: Master Ore
Skull Woods: Master Ore
Lorule Castle: Red Tunic
Turtle Rock: Hylian Shield

Ones I know are:

the other 3 master ores Skull Woods dungeon, Thieves Hideout and in the Sanctuary dark world

Just got the game today, beat the second dungeon, really liking it so far. Really love how open the game is, and lets you explore at your leisure.

When the game told me to go the castle at the beginning, I just said "Nah", and went about exploring as much of Hyrule as I was able.

DaBoss

Thanks everyone.

Didn't include
the Red Mail and the Lorule Sanctuary Master Ore since the former is pretty much at the end of the game, while the latter isn't a dungeon, but thinking about it now, they should be noted in the routes.

So this is what I think the best route for 100%'ing it is:
1. Thieves' Hideout (so you can get the Sand Rod)
2. Swamp Palace (this is second because it is in the same area of Lorule)
3. Sand Palace (to get the Titan Mitts)
4. Get the Lorule Sanctuary Master Ore and upgrade your sword
5. Skull Woods (closest dungeon to blacksmith)
6. Dark Palace (to get the other Master Ore to get a fully upgraded sword as early as possible)
7. Ice Palace (since Turtle Rock requires a lot of use of the Ice Rod)
8. Turtle Rock

A lot of minor stuff can be filled in between.

Also, I'm not sure if
someone should get the Red Mail and then do the Treacherous Tower since it would mean 1/4th damage which would make it really easy.

Finished the game, had so much fun for the entirety, just need to finish collecting the remaining pieces of heart and upgrade 3 more items to 'nice upgrade' and I should play Hero's mode but will leave it for someday.

If the Zelda can pull this out and pace it like this game the next Zelda, I'll be really happy.

All in all I felt it was the most satisfying Zelda to play since I first played Wind Waker (Triforce quest in my memory wasn't too bad but I'm sure it is).

Best thing to include in a Zelda game is that item meter. No more having to find random arrows laying around.
Would be great if they did that for the next Zelda as well.

Rich!

Best thing to include in a Zelda game is that item meter. No more having to find random arrows laying around.

It's brilliant. I was worried at first that it might hinder the gameplay, but it just serves to make it even more relentlessly fast paced. Really, really hope they include it in the Wii U Zelda.

The simple fact that there was so few collectibles was so refreshing. Skyward Sword was ridiculous in that regard. TOO MUCH STUFF. In Link Between Worlds, Nintendo proved that you don't need a collectathon

Anyway. Just got to Lorule in Hero Mode. Time to do the dungeons in a totally different order!

jwhit28

You know the big sweetheart in Kakariko Village?
When you get kissed by her and go into painting mode the lipstick mark gets left on the wall.

So what order are people planning to do their Hero Mode run in?
I definitely want to start with the Swamp and get my Blue Tunic.

Platy

You have to beat the first 3 dungeons. Can buy weapons immediately after beating the 3rd one.
Even before getting the Master Sword.

Thanks !

I am only at the start of the second dungeun but I already went berserk of those little octopus for item upgrades =x

Rich!

You know the big sweetheart in Kakariko Village?
When you get kissed by her and go into painting mode the lipstick mark gets left on the wall.

So what order are people planning to do their Hero Mode run in?
I definitely want to start with the Swamp and get my Blue Tunic.

For me, it'll be this:

- Swamp Palace (blue mail)
- Ice Ruins (stamina scroll)
- Thieves' Town (master ore)
- Skull Woods (master ore)
- Dark Palace (master ore)
- Turtle Rock
- Desert Palace

Stoof

No, because OoT is an over-rated game that was a lot of people's first Zelda game (or 3D game) and their blinded by nostalgia and tend to overlook the game many faults.
I didn't play OoT until it came out on 3DS in 2011 (had an N64 but never had OoT) and I thought it was a damn good game, so I don't think that's a good excuse. :p

Ran Ran

This might be the best game I've played all year. I love my massive 3D Zelda games more than anybody but having something like this every now and then is great.

Rich!

No, because OoT is an over-rated game that was a lot of people's first Zelda game (or 3D game) and their blinded by nostalgia and tend to overlook the game many faults.

hahaha

My girlfriend played through OOT for the first time this year on my 3DS, and she firmly believes it's the best. No nostalgia there, dude.

ys45

Well Nintendo really surprised me this year not only did this game is awesome and the best Zelda I played in a long time but they managed to capture ALTTP essence and they also managed to make it feel like we are not playing the same game .

A truly remarkable game, thumbs up Nintendo !

jwhit28

What? In a lot of ways OoT and A Link Between Worlds are the same. They both took A Link to the Past as a base and added great ideas and mechanics that (hopefully) become mainstays in the series going forward.

There comes a point in a long running series where all of the mechanics and expected features just start to become too much over the years as they get piled on top of each other and Zelda clearly passed that point. So they hit the reset button and decided to load the save from right after A Link to the Past.

Tunavi

Banned
I played oot for the first time last year and I know it's a damn fine game.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

I wish people would stop using the nostalgia argument, it's one of the worst and it never works

Socreges

Banned
Hmm. All this time I just thought it was a wonderful game where the archaic design is still brilliant enough that it holds up nearly 20 years later. Nope. I'm just blinded, lacking the wisdom of "linkboy".

Whoops. Thought I'd be the first to reply...

Ferga

I tried really hard to try and drag this out until bravely default comes out next week but god damn, I just couldn't put this game down. It's so beautiful and smooth.

Only thing that was disappointing to me was the difficulty level. It's mainly my fault though for reading inaccurate early reviews that said the game was one of the harder ones.

jwhit28

For me, it'll be this:

- Swamp Palace (blue mail)
- Ice Ruins (stamina scroll)
- Thieves' Town (master ore)
- Skull Woods (master ore)
- Dark Palace (master ore)
- Turtle Rock
- Desert Palace

Wow that is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. The only thing I'm changing is
moving Desert Palace to right after Thieves' Town so I can get all 100 Maimais earlier.

Neiteio

Ocarina of Time is a great game. Probably my fourth favorite Zelda game, after some combination of ALBW, Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening DX.

The key to OoT's quality is pacing, among the best in the series. Everything is doled out at just the right rate. It's a substantial adventure, but never overwhelming. Its sprawling in scope but never forgets to breathe. In this way it avoids the middling tedium of Twilight Princess or the aimless desolation of The Wind Waker.

But like I said, I like ALBW, MM and LA better.

GAMERG0D

Thanks everyone.

Didn't include
the Red Mail and the Lorule Sanctuary Master Ore since the former is pretty much at the end of the game, while the latter isn't a dungeon, but thinking about it now, they should be noted in the routes.

So this is what I think the best route for 100%'ing it is:
1. Thieves' Hideout (so you can get the Sand Rod)
2. Swamp Palace (this is second because it is in the same area of Lorule)
3. Sand Palace (to get the Titan Mitts)
4. Get the Lorule Sanctuary Master Ore and upgrade your sword
5. Skull Woods (closest dungeon to blacksmith)
6. Dark Palace (to get the other Master Ore to get a fully upgraded sword as early as possible)
7. Ice Palace (since Turtle Rock requires a lot of use of the Ice Rod)
8. Turtle Rock

A lot of minor stuff can be filled in between.

Also, I'm not sure if
someone should get the Red Mail and then do the Treacherous Tower since it would mean 1/4th damage which would make it really easy.
Where do you find
the Red Mail?
I never found it throughout the whole game.

Rich!

Where do you find
the Red Mail?
I never found it throughout the whole game.

It's
in Lorule castle. On the floor above the door to the throne room, you can extinguish two lamps - this reveals a insanely thin walkway across to the other side of the room and the chest

Top Bottom