• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

DaBoss

5:30 or so into the game.

3 dungeons beaten. Just exploring how the worlds connect.

Is there any easy way to figure out what dungeon needs what item? I bought bombs because hey you never want to be without those.

Also I'm guessing the mini games need to be done for heart pieces?
They typically don't let you in the dungeon if you don't have the item required and show a symbol outside of the dungeon that shows what item is needed.

Yes.

Downhome

This game is so incredible. I just finished what I believe was the first dungeon and the use of 3D just blew me away. It was, at times, breathtaking. I'm very early into the game, been playing Mario a ton, but am I right in assuming that you can not find items to keep for good now? You must either rent them or buy them? I'm fine with that, just wanted to make sure though.

Garcia

LOL

I knew something wasn't ok. . . 6 dungeons later and I just found out how to obtain the Pegasus Boots. If it weren't for my sister who told me I wasn't looking in the correct place I would've probably finished every dungeon expecting for them to show up in a big chest.

I don't like how it's a completely missable item! How could they! >_<

Still in love with the game, but damn, what the hell.

This is a dumb question but how do you get the net? I've beat the game, collected all the mai mais, have almost all the heart pieces, did all the sidequests and have beat most of the minigames but I can't find the net and the girl at the tower said she had something nice for my net if I beat expert level again.

This is a dumb question but how do you get the net? I've beat the game, collected all the mai mais, have almost all the heart pieces, did all the sidequests and have beat most of the minigames but I can't find the net and the girl at the tower said she had something nice for my net if I beat expert level again.
Go to the house in Kakariko Village with a giant bee on it.

Bout five dungeons in...this is clearly better than LttP in just about every way...combat, music, dungeons, animations, just sheer playability with all the various streamlining like the fast travel system, magic meter, map on the bottom screen, etc. Even the NPC writing is better.

Ugly, tho

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As someone who was down on the art when it was initially unveiled I've come around, and the game itself looks great in motion.

It looks better in motion than the screenshots or compressed YouTube, but its still pretty ugly. Like a garish fanmade recreation of LttP, with some admittingly great animations

Touchdown

Banned
Nintendo should show this thread to potential customers because damn it makes me want this game so much LOL. I really want to splurge on that epic special edition loz ds xl, and since I never buy myself anything I will make it a christmas gift for myself. lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm five dungeons into the game and still haven't found the pegasus boots. I'm not worrying about it, though.

Also, does anyone know who did the music for this game? Hearing the Koji Kondo remixes has been absolutely amazing (with a small dash of revolting).

Just beat this a little while ago. Such a fantastic game and it definitely sits within my top three Zelda games (accompanied by LttP and Wind Waker). As of now, I'd say it's my favorite 3DS game as well.

I'd like to go on and try Hero Mode, but for now, I'm moving on to Mario and Tearaway.

duckroll

Yeah, I'm five dungeons into the game and still haven't found the pegasus boots. I'm not worrying about it, though.

Yeah it's pretty amazing how open the game really is once it well... opens up. Everything is optional and for the player to discover and find for themselves, and there's really no nudge nudge hint hint stuff which is so prevalent in modern Zeldas. For players who ignore the use of the hint glasses completely, it's really a joy to play.

braves01

Banned
Question about a chest in the Dark Palace.
There's a chest right in the center of 2F that I can't find, even after beating the boss and getting every other chest in the dungeon. Tips?

Tuck

Ice dungeon was great - and the benefits of 3D were really apparent. There was one particular moment that required the painting power that just blew me away with its cleverness. Getting to the ice dungeon was also a blast.

Now doing thieves hideout, which was easy to get to.

Loving this game so much.

EDIT: Game looks fine on the 3DS screen with 3D one. Not the most inspired art style, but solid. Great animations too.

caesar

Banned
wow it was right there, I think I'm blind

thank you thank you thank you

No problem, I was stuck there for a bit too.

Just the Ice Ruins to go! Then I'll finish the Advanced Treacherous Tower.

My order has been:

Dark Palace
Thieves Hideout
Desert Palace
Swamp Palace
Skull Woods
Turtle Rock

Bout five dungeons in...this is clearly better than LttP in just about every way...combat, music, dungeons, animations, just sheer playability with all the various streamlining like the fast travel system, magic meter, map on the bottom screen, etc. Even the NPC writing is better.

Ugly, tho

Most important thing for me is that there is a significant amount of NPCs in general, alongside better writing/personality.
Ironically, of all titles the original ALttP in hindsight has one world that almost doesn't feel ,,lived in'' at all.

And yeah, it's ugly. Hyrule is the least offensive thing, but eventually it just goes downhill.

TDLink

This game is so incredible. I just finished what I believe was the first dungeon and the use of 3D just blew me away. It was, at times, breathtaking. I'm very early into the game, been playing Mario a ton, but am I right in assuming that you can not find items to keep for good now? You must either rent them or buy them? I'm fine with that, just wanted to make sure though.

While you now get most of the items via Ravio's shop there are still other items you will find in some of the dungeons or other places.

For example, I just found the
Hylian Shield
! I was pretty surprised to pull it out of a chest, but in a completely pleasant way.

People are talking about Pegasus Boots too so those are somewhere...I'm sure there is some other stuff out and about.

That's part of what I love about this game. They give you all the items you possibly need up front, but it's up to you to explore and discover for yourself what else is really out there. You never know if a dungeon will have an item or not, and if it does it may require a trickier puzzle...and that item may not even be necessary to use in that dungeon. It's a great twist on the formula.

This is the first Zelda in a while that really makes me feel like I'm exploring again.

TDLink

Question about a chest in the Dark Palace.
There's a chest right in the center of 2F that I can't find, even after beating the boss and getting every other chest in the dungeon. Tips?

You need to time bomb explosions on the two switches in the center of the room. One switch raises the platform in the north center up a level, the other turns the wall. So you need to plant a bomb a the platform switch, then at the wall switch, run to the platform, run and merge with the wall.

I still don't like alttp's map, it's so empty and unreal. And about the quest to enter the wind dungeon: there wasn't a single hint, I hate this thing... I don't want handholding but at least give me a hint. That's something I hate about 2D Zelda. BUT overall the game is simply amazing, 60 fps should be mandatory in every Zelda!

Kazerei

Banned
I am so close to 100%-ing this game. I have all gear, all items fully upgraded, max rupees and even max monster parts. The only thing standing in my way is THAT FUCKING OCTOBALL GAME. I still can't get 100 pts for the piece of heart. Goddamn.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Doing dungeons completely out of order, having no clue where to go and figuring it out for myself, stumbling upon legit treasures when I could easily go through the whole game without knowing they existed? Knowing the Pegasus Boots are out there somewhere and available way early in the game, and yet I still have no clue where they are?

They've finally figured out how to make my perfect Zelda game.

john tv

Make sure all your bottles are empty or he won't give it to you. Took me a lot of trial and error to figure this out...

braves01

Banned
You need to time bomb explosions on the two switches in the center of the room. One switch raises the platform in the north center up a level, the other turns the wall. So you need to plant a bomb a the platform switch, then at the wall switch, run to the platform, run and merge with the wall.

Thanks. Turns out I was trying to get to the chest from the wrong floor.

Madouu

I really loved this part, it does require quite a bit of observation as you're not really looking for a door there.

The only issue I have with these slightly more complicated puzzle elements is that the reward, often optional for these, is almost always something that will make progress through the rest of the game a bit easier:
In this case, the master ore lets you forge a better weapon
. So, it is often the more advanced or say skilled players that will find these items, but the reward kind of lessens the rest of the game's difficulty for them even though they don't really need that helping hand. There's a little contradiction in the game's balance in my opinion here, but this is not something that is exclusive to ALBW or Zelda games in general.

I had absolutely no clue this game had an upgrade system until after I beat it. Or I did but somehow totally forgot for the past few days while playing. Really alien experience to go through a big adventure game this big while having no clue what I can find, especially since I'd have thought otherwise considering how close it hews to LTTP at times.

Also the ending was cute.
Ravio's a coward, Hilda's not that wise and Yuga's a wacky, beauty-obsessed wacko. More or less the exact opposite of Hyrule.

also why the fuck does link have majora's mask in this game

Mecca

Why is everyone focusing on Majora's Mask so much? It's not the only reference to other games in the Zelda series. I saw some
Wind Waker
stuff in ALBW as well.

Stoze

I usually don't bring my 3ds out and about, but I'm taking it to campus tomorrow to hopefully get some dark Link hits on streetpass. I have a couple questions:

If I lug my 3ds around without the game cartridge in, and then put the game in later when I come home, will I still get dark links through streetpass? Provided they've played the game and setup a dark Link of course.

Also, if I have two different save files on my game, will both of them get the same dark links from streetpassing?

ramyeon

Just finished my last Sage dungeon in Lorule. I think my order was...

Dark Palace
Thieves' Hideout
Swamp Palace
Desert Palace
Skull Woods
Turtle Rock
Ice Palace

I've really enjoyed every single one and had a blast getting through them. Just bought the last item I had to get from Ravio's shop and now I'm gonna go about getting the 20 Maimai I'm missing.

Story spoilers.
I have a feeling Ravio has more of a connection to Link than he's letting on. There's a "Vacant House" where Link's house is in Lorule, and his colour scheme fits with Lorule perfectly. That plus Link turned into a rabbit in LttP when he went into the Dark World without the Moon Pearl.

Also Hilda seems to be more than meets the eye. All the scenes of her in front of Zelda's picture are really telling, wouldn't surprise me if she's the mastermind behind Yuga.

I'm 3 dungeons down in the latter half and I still don't have the Pegasus boots. Kinda nuts when I think about it. I'm not even mad though. I am loving how much exploring I'm doing. I've wanted a Zelda game like this for ages, and I can hardly believe I'm playing it now. It's so, so wonderful.

Why is everyone focusing on Majora's Mask so much? It's not the only reference to other games in the Zelda series. I saw some
Wind Waker
stuff in ALBW as well.
it'd be more comparable if instead of
just a few music tracks and that painting of Makar
from Wind Waker the king of red lions was chillaxing somewhere in lake hylia

also it was more I just found it funny that this pandora's box-like evil item you spend all of MM looking for is just casually hanging up in an alternate timeline Link's house, just because

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I thought you had to beat the second Mini-Game race without the Pegasus Boots to get them, since I did the first one despite not having the right shoes...tried like multiple times but no go.

Turns out it's very easy to get the Pegasus Boots. :0

Played more and I continue to be down on it. 5 lorule dungeons complete and I feel like I'm just going through the motions. I have no interest in Hero mode because my problem isn't the difficulty of combat it's the puzzles and dungeons. Every dungeon is identical wall power + one required item to clear it. The highlight moment was when the game introduced the floating bomb monsters because the devs really wanted to put bombable walls/floors/switches but realized the player may not have bombs and would get stuck.

Yes this is truly the most open an adventurous Zelda, but all you can find are boring dungeons and collectibles to make an already easy game even easier. The original legend of zelda was also an open game, but it pulled off the whole open world do dungeons in any order and find stuff inside them far better then this 2013 game. Even the game lbw is inspired upon lttp past did it better. This game may be more open, but I had more fun playing any other Zelda title in the past 15 years over this game including phantom hourglass.

Do not take this to mean it's a bad game, it's an excellent game still a 9/10, but for me personally this isn't what I want from a Zelda game. The joy of entering a dungeon, finding it's item and thinking of all the old places I can now explore is gone replaced with whelp I already have everything, and minus the titan mitts/sand rod you really can have everything after 1 dungeon.

Wazzy

Banned
Just starting my third dungeon which is
House of Gales
and I'm really liking the option to start dungeons in any order. I wouldn't want it for every Zelda but it's refreshing to see.

Velcro Fly

This game is so good. I want to play and play and play.

any% speed run is already sub 3 hours. that is probably with not perfect yet routing and such.

I have like 3500 rupees. Should I be buying or renting.

The Lamp

Got to Lorule and now I'm overwhelmed and had to quit lol.

Game is getting much better. There are some legitimately clever dungeons and puzzles. Best dungeon design in a decade.

I finished the game today. Absolutely brilliant. It's definitely one of my favorite games, and it's easily my favorite handheld Zelda game.

Strangely enough, I enjoyed the shorter dungeons. It was rather cool beating a dungeon during my break, something I never would have attempted with previous games, and I never felt as though they were too short. I think the bosses could have been better, but that's a minor complaint.
Skull Woods still terrifies me as much as it did when I was a child. Seeing that firs Wallmaster in 3D was frightening and amazing at the same time. I loved how they incorporated the Wallmaster into puzzles. Dark Palace was also really clever. I just thought, "Wait, it's like I need the dark to see." The irony of it was too cool.
I also loved getting every single chest in each dungeon. Since they were so short, I didn't mind spending extra time exploring. Before, the larger dungeons discouraged me from backtracking unnecessarily. The Big Chests were a huge incentive to explore every nook and cranny.

As far as the ending went,
I would have liked to see a more characterized Yuga. As many of commented before, it really does seem like he disappears for the majority of the game, and his "betrayal" didn't make much of an impact because his relationship with Hilda wasn't really fleshed out. I really, really, liked the idea of fighting inside the wall, though. So many cool things could have been done with that. Ravio's reveal was legitimately surprising; I had no idea. But I would have liked to see more of him.

Finally, I'd like to make just a short comment on the music.
It was utterly phenomenal! After finishing up the penultimate dungeon, the way the Lorule theme changed was unforgettable, and I loved how the battle theme picked up on Zelda's Lullaby as she gave you the Light Arrows. So good.

I love this game so much.

DaBoss

I've beaten the game, and I've given up.

Where the fuck are those Pegasus Boots? How are they so missable?
The thief in Kakariko has them.

I just won't say how you get them.

EDIT: Seems the below posts do, I only wanted you to figure out the "how" since I told you the "where".

caesar

Banned

This is how you get them if you want to know:

In Kakariko Village, you know the thief that runs from you?

Merge into the wall and spring out behind him, it will surprise him and he will give them to you.

Clever Nintendo, playing on past players expectations.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

All you need to do is go to Kakariko Village.

Remember the dude who stole the Zora Slippers? He's near the Sage's house but will run if you get too close, so you go into Painting Mode and sneak alongside the wall behind him and then pop out

Top Bottom