• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Ragus

Banned
So here I am, standing in the south of Lorule and I see a giant rock, which blocks the entrance to the dungeon. I use a bomb - nothing, then I use a hammer - nope. I said "aw fuck it" and continued my exploration of Lorule. Then I saw a house, where this one guy sells a big-ass bomb flower...

"oh yes, we may be onto something here" I said to myself. I blew up that rock with this big ass bomb, but I still couldn't get overt the gap between the land and a platform.

"Well, let's see if I can lend an item, which can help me overcome this obstacle. AHA, a hookshot. Bam, I'm on the other side of the gap".

And you know what's best? I figured it by myself. You hear that Fi? You want to help me with your useless advice? OH SORRY I CAN'T HERE OVER THE AWESOMENESS OF ALBW.

This game is fucking PERFECT. I wished for no handholding in new Zelda games, but this is a fucking dream come true.

Oh, and I found the cave where some cuckoo's helped me to get rich. How awesome is that?

DaBoss

No handholding is stupid for a series like Zelda and Nintendo's philosophy of making games for everyone. What should be Nintendo's goal is to make handholding minimal and optional.
I believe Aonuma's last directed Zelda was TP. Even then it was originally supposed to be the guy who directed Minish Cap, assistant directed Phantom Hourglass, directed Skyward Sword and ALBW.
ALBW's Director: Hiromasa Shikata

Prophezz

Banned
Question about
Gully
:

I just got into Lorule and finished my first Dungeon there (got the Sand Rod). Back in Hyrule, Gulley is still missing. Am I suppose to go look for him or will that time come later? I already found him once but he wouldn't go home. Second time I went there I found the useful bag.

Madouu

Question about
Gully
:

I just got into Lorule and finished my first Dungeon there (got the Sand Rod). Back in Hyrule, Gulley is still missing. Am I suppose to go look for him or will that time come later? I already found him once but he wouldn't go home. Second time I went there I found the useful bag.

Just keep exploring Lorule, you'll find him soon enough

Kazerei

Banned
Question about
Gully
:

You don't have to go looking for him, he'll show up

flowsnake

Question about
Gully
:

Have you noticed anyone else going missing? Notice a pattern there?

ramyeon

As someone who has always hated Wallmasters with a passion the
Skull Woods dungeon
was hell. I rushed through it so quick haha.

So is everyone just ok with the fact that the story is kinda just slapped together? It's okay but seriously.

I just got to Lorule and so far the story is aggressively uninspired. Thankfully the gameplay is some of the best the series has seen, guess that's why few have bothered complaining about the story?

So is everyone just ok with the fact that the story is kinda just slapped together? It's okay but seriously.

It's just slapped together in the sense that it gets the fuck out of the way when it needs to. Not every game needs 15 minute dialogs to have a story.

I think LBW's story is actually pretty good, if simple (and out of the way).

I just got to Lorule and so far the story is boring. Thankfully the gameplay is some of the best the series has ever seen... probably the reason few of us bother complaining about the story?

Gameplay is top-notch but the story, tries to be this big deal but is just thrown together. It introduces entire series changing concepts just as fast as it then turns around and forgets about them. I'm also pretty confident it conflicts with the Timeline in a sorta major way, which is ironic considering it tries to be the game that knows it's place in the timeline.

It's just slapped together in the sense that it gets the fuck out of the way when it needs to. Not every game needs 15 minute dialogs to have a story.

I think LBW's story is actually pretty good, if simple (and out of the way).

I'm not saying it does, I enjoy story in my games Zelda included, but my problem with ALBW is that its story doesn't explain anything like at all.

RagnarokX

Heh, poor Aonuma can't catch a break.

Can't get credit when the game is liked, gets all the credit if the game is disliked.

Although he was producer like he was in many other recent Zelda games, it sounds like he had a stronger influence in this game. He did model the first 3D environment for the game by himself, after all.

caesar

Banned
does anybody mind helping me with the
dark palace
?

I'm basically done in this dungeon but I still can't get the barrier to the boss room to open up. I've bombed up all 6 windows on the second floor and I'm still missing a beam of light in the top left corner. Where is the last window?

In the very first or second room, there are some bombable rocks.

wrowa

Just finished it. I don't I have enough words to express my love for this game. Perfectly paced, great gameplay, fantastic soundtrack -- the game has pretty much all a Zelda game needs.

Also Hero Mode is kicking my ass from the get go.

wrowa

Heh, poor Aonuma can't catch a break.

Can't get credit when the game is liked, gets all the credit if the game is disliked.

Although he was producer like he was in many other recent Zelda games, it sounds like he had a stronger influence in this game. He did model the first 3D environment for the game by himself, after all.

We know that developing something related to ALttP was one of his dreams for years, so I would be strongly surprised if he wasn't indeed deeply involved in the project on all accounts.

So I haven't really read much about this game at all..just got it on Friday because it's fucking Zelda lol, and I'm loving it!

Two questions (in spoiler tags).

1:
where can I find the hammer to get to the Tower of Hera? I don't have to rent it from the guy at my house, do I :(

2:
how do I get to the island with the windmills on it? (I assume it's where the Zora live)

Gameplay is top-notch but the story, tries to be this big deal but is just thrown together. It introduces entire series changing concepts just as fast as it then turns around and forgets about them. I'm also pretty confident it conflicts with the Timeline in a sorta major way, which is ironic considering it tries to be the game that knows it's place in the timeline.

I'm not saying it does, I enjoy story in my games Zelda included, but my problem with ALBW is that its story doesn't explain anything like at all.
Series changing? We've already known there's been multiple dimensions with the sacred realm/dark world, twilight realm, termina, and now Lorule. I don't really see any major timeline conflicts either but oh well. This game was advertised and designed as a back to the basics game and the storytelling I thought was fine and fit the theme. ALttP introduced much more to the series mythos with much less cutscenes and dialogue.

Series changing? We've already known there's been multiple dimensions with the sacred realm/dark world, twilight realm, termina, and now Lorule. I don't really see any major timeline conflicts either but oh well. This game was advertised and designed as a back to the basics game and the storytelling I thought was fine and fit the theme. ALttP introduced much more to the series mythos with much less cutscenes and dialogue.

All of those are explained either in-game or in Majora's Mask case in interviews as it is a side-story, Lorule is not. On top of that, bar the Sacred Realm/Dark World as they are directly connected to Hyrule, neither of those have their own
Triforce, or parallels of main characters.
This game practically just throws in major concepts and then forgets about them, not to mention it directly contradicts its own predecessors story as
Ganon having the Triforce of Power makes no sense, as at the end of A Link to The Past the Triforce is whole and in Hyrule Castle.

Anything Nintendo does that urges anyone to stop caring about timelines is a good move. It was dumb of them to fall into the trap of indulging fan speculation and bullshitting together a "canon timeline" in Hyrule Historia when the whole thing would have been better settled with the obvious truth; Zelda games are all meant to be their own thing. Aside from a few concrete links between a few specific games, it's all winking references and recurring themes, there's no grand tapestry being woven.

Nintendo has been writing connections between Zelda games since the 2nd one, it wasn't till Wind Waker in which things got confusing, even then though all the games except the original 3 and the non-flagship part of the series tie into each-other easily some even referencing past games. This game makes it a point at the beginning of the game to reference A Link to the Past and then shortly afterwards directly contradicts the ending of the same game in a pretty big way, which is almost laughable considering ALBW shares the same damn over-world.

DaBoss

The only thing that needs to be explained is the existence of Lorule, which is not explained in the game.
It has a backstory that is similar to that of Hyrule except for the destruction of the Triforce.

As for
the Triforce split, it is obviously a retcon.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Finished it in about 15 hours, close to 100%, just missing a few heart containers and Meemees or whatever.

Good stuff. Story had a nice payoff, but pacing-wise,
the Lorule portion could really benefited from having another Yuga fight or at least an occasional appearance sprinkled along the way; He's played up as your big heel for the first couple hours, and then he's a total no-show for the 3/4s of the game that fall between 'beating' Hyrule and 'beating' Lorule.

All of those are explained either in-game or in Majora's Mask case in interviews as it is a side-story, Lorule is not. On top of that, bar the Sacred Realm/Dark World as they are directly connected to Hyrule, neither of those have their own
Triforce, or parallels of main characters.
This game practically just throws in major concepts and then forgets about them, not to mention it directly contradicts its own predecessors story as
Ganon having the Triforce of Power makes no sense, as at the end of A Link to The Past the Triforce is whole and in Hyrule Castle.
Anything Nintendo does that urges anyone to stop caring about timelines is a good move. It was dumb of them to fall into the trap of indulging fan speculation and bullshitting together a "canon timeline" in Hyrule Historia when the whole thing would have been better settled with the obvious truth; Zelda games are all meant to be their own thing. Aside from a few concrete links between a few specific games, it's all winking references and recurring themes, there's no grand tapestry being woven.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GOTY as far as I'm concerned. Dunegons are awesome. Combat is smooth. The 60fps in 3d is great. Plus the item setup is a welcome twist.

Put me in the camp of best Zelda since TWW.

watershed

Banned
Finished it! This was the first time I just played a game almost non-stop since 3D Land. Great game. I loved all the gameplay and the designs. My only complaints would be that it was a little on the easy side and a little sparse in story. If we could have gotten to know the sages a little better to build up the jeopardy that would have been nice. Otherwise, great game. The little touches were amazing like the very last scene for example.

Question for those who have beaten it, not really a spoiler but just in case:
what if anything does this game tell us about Majora's Mask? Does Lorule become Termina? Aside from the mask in Link's house I didn't see any references.

Hyoukokun

I saw the Hilda thing coming from the first time she talked to the Zelda painting fairly early on in Lorule. You could just tell she was jealous by the wording they used. Subtle, but effective IMO.
I saw it coming from
the fact that Yuga mentioned something about pleasing 'her grace' early on in the game. That clued me in to three things: he has an accomplice, the accomplice is female, and the accomplice is royalty. Wouldn't have got that last bit if I wasn't currently reading A Clash of Kings.

ASIS

So who's ready for Zelda Wii U at the VGX?

Completely delusional.

Nintendo did hint at a reveal of "something" at VGX and they do need buzz right now. Don't get me wrong the chances of it being Zelda are slim to none but it still is not delusional to think that.

Delusional, the sequel

but pacing-wise,
the Lorule portion could really benefited from having another Yuga fight or at least an occasional appearance sprinkled along the way; He's played up as your big heel for the first couple hours, and then he's a total no-show for the 3/4s of the game that fall between 'beating' Hyrule and 'beating' Lorule.

I guess they played it safe because I was under the impression people were irritated by the 3 recycled Ghirahim+The Imprisoned fights in the last Zelda.

Hyoukokun

So I haven't really read much about this game at all..just got it on Friday because it's fucking Zelda lol, and I'm loving it!

Two questions (in spoiler tags).

1:
where can I find the hammer to get to the Tower of Hera? I don't have to rent it from the guy at my house, do I :(

2:
how do I get to the island with the windmills on it? (I assume it's where the Zora live)

1:
Yes, you rent it. The vast majority of items in this game are rentals available from the get go. It actually works pretty well. If you don't have the hammer, don't worry; just check in with the weathervane near the Tower. You'll be able to travel back to that point via fast travel soon, if you can't already.

2:
That island is *not* where the Zora live, but you do need to find where they live to get access to the island. Here's a hint: the Zora's home base is in water, but it's not in the lake.

1:
Yes, you rent it. The vast majority of items in this game are rentals available from the get go. It actually works pretty well. If you don't have the hammer, don't worry; just check in with the weathervane near the Tower. You'll be able to travel back to that point via fast travel soon, if you can't already.

2:
That island is *not* where the Zora live, but you do need to find where they live to get access to the island. Here's a hint: the Zora's home base is in water, but it's not in the lake.
1:
oh, so it's not like previous Zelda games where you find the item and keep it forever? That sucks :(

2:
I suck at figuring out hints, lol. Thanks anyway mate :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo did hint at a reveal of "something" at VGX and they do need buzz right now. Don't get me wrong the chances of it being Zelda are slim to none but it still is not delusional to think that.

Delusional, the sequel

I was referring to that.

Hyoukokun

1:
oh, so it's not like previous Zelda games where you find the item and keep it forever? That sucks :(

2:
I suck at figuring out hints, lol. Thanks anyway mate :)

Here's some progressively more detailed hints, then:

The Zora home base is located in the upper-right-hand corner of the map, past the witch's hut.

To get there, you'll need to use an ability that you already have that enables you to cross gaps.

Check behind the waterfalls. (This is good advice generally in 2D Zelda games, and it does not only apply here.)

Once you've visited the Zora for the first time, check the open-air item seller back in Kakariko Village; you'll find the item they need there. Bring it back to them to get the flippers.

And a bonus hint for something you can do now once you've completed the above:

Remember the shift guy who stole the item from the Zora? You should try to catch up with him and see what he has to say for himself. You can catch him with an ability that you already have.

KU_

Haven't touched my 3DS since Mario Sticker Star, and I tried holding out on this until Christmas, but I caved last night and got it off the eShop. Well worth it. About four hours in, and it's easily my favorite handheld Zelda ever. We'll see how it holds up.

Just started this after finishing 3D World. Man I forgot how slow and boring the beginning of Zelda games are. That opening overworld theme is amazing though, so I was disappointed to hear it go back to the main Zelda theme so quickly. I was hoping it would stick around for a while :(. Oh well, I'm sure the game will be great! Just rented the bow from the R man so I'm sure it will start to pick up now.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Also:
HTnnMIm.gif

Why are you selling the posters to your sister?

Because she's a Zelda fan and I'm the one with the CN account (and getting the coins). Already sold her the MM soundtrack for $25.

We have a really good relationship based on mutual trading and partnership. Shes also my information broker at times.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm amazed at just how smooth this game feels. Every time I go back to it the smoothness even with 3dizzles on is sooooo good.

Velcro Fly

5:30 or so into the game.

3 dungeons beaten. Just exploring how the worlds connect.

Is there any easy way to figure out what dungeon needs what item? I bought bombs because hey you never want to be without those.

Also I'm guessing the mini games need to be done for heart pieces?

My hardcover strategy guide with lithograph came today...I feel like it's a justified purchase even though I'm not going to look at it until I beat the game myself first just to see what I missed.

I'm two dungeons into Lorule and I'm having a blast. This is definitely my favorite Zelda since Link to the Past. Everything is so good, and it's actually been challenging as hell. I love the fact that it's open and you can explore and basically do whatever you want, and yet still manages to maintain the "each dungeon tests your knowledge of X item or X ability" Zelda feel.

Top Bottom