• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Four Swords (3DS/DSi) |OT| Multi-player Zelda now with single-player, too!

zigg

[Nintex] said:
Finished all stages including the Realm of Memories and that makes me wish Nintendo will never ever let Grezzo design their own Zelda game. The added content just isn't fun, they've only made some boring and frustrating environments. Four Swords GBA was never good to begin with but the design in these new bits is even worse. Four Swords Adventure is superior in every way, I'm glad it's free because I wouldn't pay 99 cents for this mess.

The singleplayer, if you can call it that feels like some sort of romhack. My expectations were low but this is just a terrible product.

That's funny, because although I had some nice memories of playing FSA in co-op with my wife as well as on my own, when played competitively I found that FS blows FSA away. I can't speak to the new levels yet, but I know the rest of the game is fantastic in this context.

I do sort of expect people just going through FS in SP will have less-than-stellar opinions of it on average because of this.

K444WSR

I had a quick question to all the people that have played multiplayer on this. Will the multiplayer work between a dsi and a normal lite or is it strictly between dsi and 3ds? Thanks in advance guys.

Hylian7

I just finished the Sea of Trees. I did play the original version of the game and as I expected, it's definitely made for multiplayer, but single player still works. I'm guessing to get the new levels, you have to beat the original 3 first?

fernoca

K444WSR said:
I had a quick question to all the people that have played multiplayer on this. Will the multiplayer work between a dsi and a normal lite or is it strictly between dsi and 3ds? Thanks in advance guys.
DSi, DSiXL and 3DS only.

You can't download anything to a 'lite' so that's why it doesn't work there. Multiplayer requires each unit to have the game.

Symphonic

Game is addictive. Not the best Zelda by far, but a pretty fun arcadey version.

Looking forward to trying out the retro levels.

fernoca

K444WSR said:
Thanks for the reply fernoca. It just means 4 player 4 swords will have to wait for my household.
No prob. At least you have some hope, multiplayer Four Swords in my case is a matter of...never. XD

Salsa

Played the first world, game's great and im glad it displays in the top screen so my dust particle doesnt get in the way :p

only wish i had a friend (or, little hero egg) to play with, my friends only have DS lites. Game feels kinda forced as a SP experience, but that was expected.

****ing Nintendo, I keep getting an error message everytime I try to download Four Swords, and now its telling me to call customer service. Can anyone save me from calling what I imagine is probably a trying experience with awful (possibly automated) customer service by telling me what error code 007-2913 is? A google search has proved useless am afraid, thanks in advance!

Enemy Of Fate said:
****ing Nintendo, I keep getting an error message everytime I try to download Four Swords, and now its telling me to call customer service. Can anyone save me from calling what I imagine is probably a trying experience with awful (possibly automated) customer service by telling me what error code 007-2913 is? A google search has proved useless am afraid, thanks in advance!
Try rebooting your 3DS, rebooting your modem...?

See if you need a System Update in Settings.

fernoca

Enemy Of Fate said:
Error Code: 007-2913

Nintendo eShop
An error occurred while attempting to connect to the Nintendo eShop. Please try again later.

If you continue to experience problems, please call 1-800-255-3700 for assistance.
So... go back, turn it off, maybe wait a few secs..and try again.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Enemy Of Fate said:

Nintendo Customer Service is the best in the business for what it's worth.

Hylian7

Enemy Of Fate said:
Actually Nintendo's Customer Service is the best in the industry in my opinion. The only menus you have to go through are just what system and what category of problem you have. When the site fucked up and told me my OoT3D launch copy was already registered, they were willing to stay on the phone with me and make sure I could get the soundtrack. They even stayed on the phone with me once I was able to take the survey to make sure the popup worked.

GDGF said:
I have no doubt thats true in the US, but I'm less optimistic about how good it is here in Ireland am afraid. :(

I've tried restarting the modem/3ds and and I'm already up to date in terms of system updates. I guess I'll just have to wait it out and give them a call tomorrow, unless anyone else has any suggestions.

zigg

GDGF said:

Until they conveniently forget about known hardware issues (e.g. DS lite hinge break.)

As to the error code, the eShop is almost certainly overloaded. Try again later. Don't worry, February is a long way off... :)

fernoca

Enemy Of Fate said:
I have no doubt thats true in the US, but I'm less optimistic about how good it is here in Ireland am afraid. :(

I've tried restarting the modem/3ds and and I'm already up to date in terms of system updates. I guess I'll just have to wait it out and give them a call tomorrow, unless anyone else has any suggestions.
Is this the first time it happens?

Since the problem is with connecting to the eShop. Just wait a few minutes/hours and try again.

They most they'll do is have you go to your router settings and change the channel to 1, 11, etc. and keep trying.

I'm currently in America visiting the boyfriend, and just learned that Nintendo region locked Multiplayer between different region 3DS systems, So we can't team up :/ what a crock of bullshit

Four Swords is awesome but seems like I'll have to make do with the billy-no-mates option sigh

Just downloaded and played about an hour, and already it's bloody awesome. Single player at the moment because I have no friends.
Love the various puzzles and trials, but I'm stuck in the sea of trees bit, where when you arrive there's like a hedge maze to your left - get through some of the enemies till I come to 2 that just shell themselves when I twat them.
Can't find a why to kill them? Any help?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Huh. Well, at least you can play 1P. I used to play multiplayer with my friends back when this was released, so it'll be interesting to go through this myself.

I would think that the lack of playing with three other people might take something away from the game though. Oh well, at least people can play it now! :D

Downloading. Will probably play this before class or something.

Roto13

Ubermatik said:
Just downloaded and played about an hour, and already it's bloody awesome. Single player at the moment because I have no friends.
Love the various puzzles and trials, but I'm stuck in the sea of trees bit, where when you arrive there's like a hedge maze to your left - get through some of the enemies till I come to 2 that just shell themselves when I twat them.
Can't find a why to kill them? Any help?
As the tutorial would have told you, you either have to pull them apart or pick them up, throw them, and have your partner hit them in mid air. (In single player, your partner will do it automatically if you have them with you.)

Socreges

Banned
So people aren't allowed to criticize games just because they're free? And playing through games to the end if you weren't happy with it somehow doesn't make sense? If he had quit early, some of you would be saying his opinion was invalid because he didn't play through the entire thing.

FFS the gaming side needs to be more tolerant of dissenting opinions. Pick your battles, guys.

Hylian7

I just got through Talus Cave. Just like I remember it, this game was definitely designed for multiplayer, which was obviously why the original had no single player at all. I haven't played the DSiWare version with other people yet, but I did play it with other people on GBA back in the day. It is MUCH better with multiple people, as some of the puzzles seem to lose their value when you're playing single player. For instance, the enemies you have to stun with the sword and pull apart seem to have lost their value in single player, but work so much better in multiplayer. The Talus Cave boss also loses a lot of the novelty in single player mode, especially the end part (You can see where the weak point one of your teammates is supposed to hit, and you have to tell them which one it is. In single player, changing which Link you control just changes which weak point you can see.).

Luckily, I have both a 3DS and DSi, so I downloaded the game on both systems. My girlfriend and I will be playing this together tomorrow. I also have at least one other friend that has a 3DS that's in the area.

I may keep trudging along myself to get to the new levels (the main thing I really wanted to see in this game), or just wait until tomorrow when I play it with my girlfriend.

The bottom line is, play this with friends if you can at all costs. Single player works, but isn't near as good as multiplayer.

By the way, for those that don't remember, the stages are randomly generated actually! There are a few possibilities for what version of the stage you get, along with inside those stages, there's a big square-shaped section that is also different every time!

Teknoman

slaughterking said:
So I beat the first two stages and it's really boring. I'm glad this was free.

Much better in MP mode since you'll be talking to each other/ messing with each other.

How do you open retro worlds?

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
Playing the Link's Awakening Level right now, so godlike. And for free, I love you Nintendo.

I take it you have to be the original 3 levels to access them? Beat the first two so far, guess I'll hit up the 3rd later. OoT 3D came from Amazon today as well, so it's been a full on Zelda day.

M3d10n

Tried to get a 3-person game going and one of the DSis wouldn't find the group... then I realized it was an Euro DSi and the others were US ones.

Region locked local multiplayer... wtf Nintendo?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Yeah, playing this alone is like playing RE5 alone. You guys have to get a group of friends and dick around for it to really shine.

Socreges said:
So people aren't allowed to criticize games just because they're free? And playing through games to the end if you weren't happy with it somehow doesn't make sense? If he had quit early, some of you would be saying his opinion was invalid because he didn't play through the entire thing.

FFS the gaming side needs to be more tolerant of dissenting opinions. Pick your battles, guys.
Of course you can critique the product, though I think questioning the amount of content or lack of certain modes is silly. yes it would be nice if it had additional modes, but I dont think you can complain about a free game not having a specific node or feature. Say that it would be better with that feature, but don't say that Nintendo should have included it, because the game already has significant upgrades to the original game and to beat a drum is being given away for free.

I never said that finishing the game made his opinions invalid, I just asked him why he finished it if he didn't like it. He seemed pretty negative and I wondered what drove him to play a rerelease of a game he didn't like through to completion.

It wasn't rhetorical. I genuinely want to know.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I know it's Nintendo. I know we should expect it.

But no online play? Really? REALLY?

It just seems odd to me that they would release some free game, seemingly to make it accessible and give everyone a chance to try it... and then we're bottle-necked by having to physically find other people with DSis and 3DS?

Most people will never get to properly play this.

fernoca

BocoDragon said:

It just seems odd to me that they would release some free game, seemingly to make it accessible and give everyone a chance to try it... and then we're bottle-necked by having to physically find other people with DSis and 3DS?

Well, maybe there are some technical reasons behind, after all it was designed around the DSiWare/DSi and is not like the DS was flooded by 4 players online games..with voice chat. Which is another thing, this game needs a form of fast communication; so an online without it would be pointless. Plus the whole game's designed around timing (pressing switches at the same time, moving stuff at the same time), so maybe they had problems with that online (on top of the hardware limitations)..who knows.

I mean, people say "it's Nintendo" but they've shown good online games; heck Pokémon Black/White even had online voicechat and videochat and people didn't went around crazy talking about it.

And is not like a "we have to find people to play". Either a person plays alone, or already has friends with the game and willing to play. :p

Plus this whole free release was more of an anniversary thing than a "here it's free so everyone can play it" kind of thing. And like all their Zelda anniversary things; it's until February 20, 2012.

Who knows really.

I got the game as a single player experience only. The sprites, visuals, music, action..is everything I expected. Maybe a possible sequel will be online and with all the bells and whistles.

Skilletor

BocoDragon said:

It's free.

Maybe I'll complain if the release 4 swords 2 and it doesn't have online. I never played this, so I'm happy they even bothered making it single player. Online is a bit much to ask for something that's costing me nothing to play.

hatchx

Banned
BocoDragon said:

Dude, it's free.

If they included online, a chat option, a lobby, and serves and all that.....it would have cost money.

People knock Nintendo for everything they don't do.

BTW If you're not playing this in multiplayer, you're doing it wrong.

It was originally designed as a multiplayer game only. It is nowhere near as enjoyable in single player as it is in multiplayer.

Single player is a tacked on hack that enables you to play on your own, but it completely misses the point entirely. It's like playing DK Jungle Beat or DDR with a controller, it's possible and it's nice that the option is there, but it's nothing compared to playing it the intended way.

fernoca

Nuclear Muffin said:

It was originally designed as a multiplayer game only. It is nowhere near as enjoyable in single player as it is in multiplayer.
I know, but no problems here. This is the 3rd Four Swords game I play as a single player game. I'm used to it. :p

hatchx

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

Very true. I only ever did it with two people, I'd love to try it with four.

angelfly

Nuclear Muffin said:

Single player is a tacked on hack that enables you to play on your own, but it completely misses the point entirely. It's like playing DK Jungle Beat or DDR with a controller, it's possible and it's nice that the option is there, but it's nothing compared to playing it the intended way.
foreveralone.gif

I convinced my brother to play the first world with me using my DSi but after that I couldn't get him to play anymore. I'm forced to play alone.

fernoca said:
I know, but no problems here. This is the 3rd Four Swords game I play as a single player game. I'm used to it. :p

3rd?! You're not referring to Tetra's Trackers are you? (surely not the original GBA FS?! That's pretty hardcore if that's the case!)

hatchx said:
Very true. I only ever did it with two people, I'd love to try it with four.

I've played it with 4 (though I usually play this and FSA in 3 player with 2 other people), it's amazing! The fun really does multiply with every extra player you add!

fernoca

Nuclear Muffin said:
3rd?! You're not referring to Tetra's Trackers are you? (surely not the original GBA FS?! That's pretty hardcore if that's the case!)
GBA: Yep, 2 GBAs. (more for fun, than actually playing it.. of course I didn't made it really far. :p)
GCN: Single player, with a GBASP as a controller.
3DS: Now.

Though I admit I don't play them seriously as in "I have to finish them!!!"; but because I like the "retro" aspects of it.

FyNWY.png

fernoca said:
GBA: Yep, 2 GBAs. (more for fun, than actually playing it.. of course I didn't made it really far. :p)
GCN: Single player, with a GBASP as a controller.
3DS: Now.

Though I admit I don't play them seriously as in "I have to finish them!!!"; but because I like the "retro" aspects of it.,

Either way, that's still pretty impressive! Beating that first boss must've been a nightmare lol!

FSA is a far better single player game. While it's still clearly designed for multiplayer first and foremost, they at least made some concessions for single player play and the heavier focus on co-op rather than straight up competition works much better in single player than the other way around. The original Four Swords' game structure hinges on competition though, with co-op being secondary. It's like playing a racing game on your own while all of the other racers stay stuck at the starting line.

Tetra's Trackers is also surprisingly fun in single player too (though obviously much better in multi), because you're still racing against someone (Tingle, who is a cheating bastard in that game BTW!)

MAtgS

Personally I'm way more bothered by the lack of download play than online. Everyone I know only has regular or lite DSes.

Thoraxes

Nuclear Muffin said:
I've played it with 4 (though I usually play this and FSA in 3 player with 2 other people), it's amazing! The fun really does multiply with every extra player you add!
Don't forget the fun when you each swear to murder each other the next time they sleep because they got caught by the spotlight on the prison level for the 57th time because they wanted to throw that pot or because the bastard too the 100 rupee with his boomerang (that bastard).

Playing that and CC with my friends in high-school were/are some of my favorite gaming memories that i'll never forget. With online these days, the fun to have with people in the same room is just not there like it used to be. I miss being able to go over to my friend and punch him for killing me with level 2 bombs, stealing the chalice, or for causing a cucco attack while he was inside a house, killing us all and stealing our money.

Played the tutorial. It seems slow playing alone, but I already beat the GBA one 100% (all gold keys, etc) so it will be interesting.

FSA was designed to be played alone (though it was better with other people), but it is clear this is a multiplayer experience.

The original Four Swords' game structure hinges on competition though, with co-op being secondary. It's like playing a racing game on your own while all of the other racers stay stuck at the starting line.

Except if you want to get the gold keys, you HAVE to cooperate.

Thoraxes said:
Don't forget the fun when you each swear to murder each other the next time they sleep because they got caught by the spotlight on the prison level for the 57th time because they wanted to throw that pot or because the bastard too the 100 rupee with his boomerang (that bastard).

Playing that and CC with my friends in high-school were/are some of my favorite gaming memories that i'll never forget. With online these days, the fun to have with people in the same room is just not there like it used to be. I miss being able to go over to my friend and punch him for killing me with level 2 bombs, stealing the chalice, or for causing a cucco attack while he was inside a house, killing us all and stealing our money.

Yep, 100% truth. Even if you could get it to work lag free online, it still wouldn't be the same if you weren't within punching distance of your friends! (OH, YOU JUST HAD TO TAKE BOTH THE CHESTS AND LEAVE NONE FOR ME, WELL FUCK YOU!!! DOWN THE HOLE YOU GO :D )

MAtgS said:
Personally I'm way more bothered by the lack of download play than online. Everyone I know only has regular or lite DSes.

It wouldn't work. The game is about 16MB. The DS only has 4MB of RAM so it simply wouldn't fit (and yes, this DSi Ware version is much larger in terms of game size than the GBA original. Probably mostly down to the greatly enhanced audio quality - and the new audio tracks, though the extra levels will inflate the size too)

Allan Holdsworth said:
Except if you want to get the gold keys, you HAVE to cooperate.

Oh yeah that's very true. Those Gold/Hero keys are seriously hard to get! The game does encourage cooperation and competition (that was the marketing tagline after all!), but it's obviously less co-op focused than FSA.

fernoca

Nuclear Muffin said:
Either way, that's still pretty impressive! Beating that first boss must've been a nightmare lol!

FSA is a far better single player game. While it's still clearly designed for multiplayer first and foremost, they at least made some concessions for single player play and the heavier focus on co-op rather than straight up competition works much better in single player than the other way around. The original Four Swords' game structure hinges on competition though, with co-op being secondary. It's like playing a racing game on your own while all of the other racers stay stuck at the starting line.

Tetra's Trackers is also surprisingly fun in single player too (though obviously much better in multi), because you're still racing against someone (Tingle, who is a cheating bastard in that game BTW!)
Yeah, FSA was more tailored around me. :p
Never played Tetra's Trackers as it wasn't released in the US (unless I missed it); looked fun in the videos and pics.

Of course I'll love to play it with more people, but the friends that do have a DSiXL (2), are not much into handheld gaming, and have them more as "decoration". :p

MAtgS said:
Probably memory related. Since it was designed as a DSi game, it uses DS-Download Play's smaller memory (was like 5MB?).

[Yeah, what Nuclear Muffin said :p]

dwu8991

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

That's a silly and absurd statement. This is one of the best Zelda games to date even without multiplayer. The controls are sublime for what other developers would of made a meal out of it. The gameplay is heads and shoulders above other co-op games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance. If people can play Fifa on their own without any problems, I don't see why they can't enjoy Four Swords on their own. Everybody who bitchs about the single player should get a mental health check.

Boney

Banned
dwu8991 said:
That's a silly and absurd statement. This is one of the best Zelda games to date even without multiplayer. The controls are sublime for what other developers would of made a meal out of it. The gameplay is heads and shoulders above other co-op games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance. If people can play Fifa on their own without any problems, I don't see why they can't enjoy Four Swords on their own. Everybody who bitchs about the single player should get a mental health check.
haha what?

Do you still have the beat the whole game 3 times or whatever before you get the real ending? If so, **** that. Randomly generated segments or not, this was the worst Zelda game back then, and looks like it still is.

fuck.

Hate how the only ds's I have in the house is a 3ds and ds lite.

Can't MP that way =/

I'll probably try to find strangers at my school that picked this up (according to streetpass at least 30 people at GA tech have 3ds...).

Top Bottom