• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: MC - How good will it be?

AniHawk

Tritroid said:
There are a few other problems that I can't think of right now, but I think for the most part if they could actually put a game in between Wind Waker and LttP it could fix mostly everything. The only thing is I don't see them going through the process of locking Ganon in the Sacred Realm again. Wind Waker should have just ended with him back inside it somehow, it would have made things a lot easier. :p

I never thought TWW led straight into ALttP. I believe there will most likely be a sequel to The Wind Waker to maybe bridge the gap between TWW and ALttP.

Yes, and you could have Ganondorf at around the same age as Link (late teen), and have excellent rivalries with that. (Sword fights and what not)

Exactly what I was thinking. A lot of the fans of TWW would hate it because it'd be such a huge departure from the norm, but I'd love to see it. It'd be the ultimate tie-in with the series.

Stuff that makes sense

You and Dragona are right about the way I phrased it. The person who thought it up did a damn good job of explaining themselves, and I can't think of their exact theory (or their name).

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Dragona Akehi said:
Link's Awakening is so much better than the (now) boring LTTP. It's like OoT fanbots that constantly deny the brilliance that is Majora's Mask. :p
IAWTP 100%

AniHawk

Scrow said:
IAWTP 100%

So do I. Majora's Mask has aged much, much better than Ocarina has. I still rank OoT as my favorite game of all time because of the two weeks I spent playing it initially doing e v e r y t h i n g. Words can't describe the feeling I got while playing it, and it has never been matched by any game since.

Majora's Mask is imaginitive, dark, serious, fun, and different than all the Zelda games. Really overlooked by many- much like Link's Awakening is.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Tritroid said:
the-legend-of-zelda-the-minish-cap-20041007113017824.jpg

Hero of men? =/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hey jarrod, I have a new acronymn that I random assembled just for you...

IHNDATSIMG

I hate ninety degree angle tile sets in my games.

What do you think?

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Hey jarrod, I have a new acronymn that I random assembled just for you...

IHNDATSIMG

I hate ninety degree angle tile sets in my games.

What do you think?
Did someone abuse you with that Game Boy? :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Did someone abuse you with that Game Boy? :p

I was so jealous for so long. :(

It took quite a while before I was allowed to own any additional systems, and I wanted those angles so badly. When I would open an issue of Nintendo power and see those massive maps with beautiful angles everywhere you better believe that it hurt.

jarrod

Banned
S'okay, I never really liked the original GB either (outside a handfull of games it's sort of a wasteleand). GBC was slightly better, but I really didn't get into handhelds until GBA.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
jarrod said:
S'okay, I never really liked the original GB either (outside a handfull of games it's sort of a wasteleand). GBC was slightly better, but I really didn't get into handhelds until GBA.
What? With a tag like yours that's crazy! I always thought you were really hardcore into the handheld scene and played most of the handheld systems. Hell I've been supremely heavy in the handheld scene since the heydays of the Game & Watch series since I was a kid. Ever play with those, you would have probably enjoyed them.

EDIT: Speaking of G&W I have a prototype unit of Popeye, most of the casing is made out of wood painted green too (with a few markings in permanent marker by Nintend), hah hah. I wonder how much that'll go for.

jarrod

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
What? With a tag like yours that's crazy! I always thought you were really hardcore into the handheld scene and played most of the handheld systems. Hell I've been supremely heavy in the handheld scene since the heydays of the Game & Watch series since I was a kid. Ever play with those, you would have probably enjoyed them.
Nope, I was heavy into NES, Genesis and especially Saturn before GBA... and sadly I've never even touched a G&W. :(

Never played most handhelds actually, though I've owned a GBP, GBC, NGPC, GBA & GBA SP before. Really, I bought my first GB in 1995 just to play Link's Awakening & FF Adventure (ARPG whore that I am).

Screenboy

I always dream that the new Zelda GC is the one where Link fails to stop Ganon and the Gods have to flood Hyrule (start of WW).

Imagine the ending to that game....

-SB

Tritroid

Screenboy said:
I always dream that the new Zelda GC is the one where Link fails to stop Ganon and the Gods have to flood Hyrule (start of WW).

Imagine the ending to that game....

-SB
Not possible.

The entire reason for Ganon being able to practically destroy Hyrule and causing the gods to have no other choice but to completely flood the land was because the Hero of Time was gone. There was no one there to actually stop Ganon.

The little explanation at the beginning of WW that tells what happened in the post-7-year period after the Hero of Time left is enough, we don't need a new game there.

Brannon

Zelda: MC - How good will it be?
Well...
If you put Zelda: MC in the Gameboy, it'll have each one of you in the driver's seat of a brand-new SUV. Your bosses will be less cranky, your children will be kept in trucker hats and iPods, and your TV screens will grow even wider. Those who are bald will wake up one morning and magically find themselves with thick heads of luxurious, silky hair. You'll open your refrigerators and 15-pound hams will tumble out. Your dog might even start to talk, and the first thing he'll say is "I love you." It'll be that good.

AniHawk

Tritroid said:
Not possible.

The entire reason for Ganon being able to practically destroy Hyrule and causing the gods to have no other choice but to completely flood the land was because the Hero of Time was gone. There was no one there to actually stop Ganon.

The little explanation at the beginning of WW that tells what happened in the post-7-year period after the Hero of Time left is enough, we don't need a new game there.

It could have always been meant figuratively. By the time of TWW, it's centuries later, and the truth could have been distorted by legend.

Tritroid

AniHawk said:
It could have always been meant figuratively. By the time of TWW, it's centuries later, and the truth could have been distorted by legend.
Yeah I guess. Still they pretty much explained everything that happened (besides Ganon somehow escaping the Sacred Realm seal), so let's have a new game in another spot plz.

AniHawk

It's strange. I had an idea for this Zelda game all thought up about 9 months ago. It would be a prequel to OoT, and it'd have all the story elements and a bit more I've mentioned. There'd be some different gameplay as far as swordfighting is concerned. I had the idea for how it would be debuted all in my head:

It's E3. The lights dim, and no one is told what the game trailer they're about to watch is for. Dramatic music starts playing (Charging Fort Wagner from Glory), and there's still no sign of what the game is even as there's footage of scenery and people fighting in a large-scale war. Eventually there's a dramatic revealing of Ganondorf (in a "mature" style) just as the song hits a high note. Everyone in the room cheers, and the cheers grow louder as the main character (who looks like Link, but isn't) is revealed. Then the trailer plays out until the end, hinting that good might not win. Finally the name of the game is revealed so there is no more doubt. It's The Legend of Zelda, and it's the first in the series.

What's neat... or scary is that this is almost exactly what happened this year at E3.

Tritroid

AniHawk said:
It's strange. I had an idea for this Zelda game all thought up about 9 months ago. It would be a prequel to OoT, and it'd have all the story elements and a bit more I've mentioned. There'd be some different gameplay as far as swordfighting is concerned. I had the idea for how it would be debuted all in my head:

It's E3. The lights dim, and no one is told what the game trailer they're about to watch is for. Dramatic music starts playing (Charging Fort Wagner from Glory), and there's still no sign of what the game is even as there's footage of scenery and people fighting in a large-scale war. Eventually there's a dramatic revealing of Ganondorf (in a "mature" style) just as the song hits a high note. Everyone in the room cheers, and the cheers grow louder as the main character (who looks like Link, but isn't) is revealed. Then the trailer plays out until the end, hinting that good might not win. Finally the name of the game is revealed so there is no more doubt. It's The Legend of Zelda, and it's the first in the series.

What's neat... or scary is that this is almost exactly what happened this year at E3.
Yeah, that is pretty wierd. I think it's awesome though because what you just described is pretty much the consensus of what every Zelda fan out there wants to see, give or take a few details. Nintendo must have really picked up on this because the E3 trailer was simply awesome with the game not even being revealed until Link is seen riding out of the castle gate, and an approaching war being hinted at. Ever since OoT was released, I have dreamt of having a massive all-out war in Hyrule Field. My God, imagine the possibilities. And yes, by having Ganondorf around the same age as Link, you could have awesome individual sword fights between the two 'generals' while the battle rages on around you. I would love the idea of having Link start out as a commanding knight in the Hylian army and then slowly be revealed as the Hero, and this would mean numerous confrontations with the Gerudo leader Ganondorf from time to time throughout the game.

I think Aonuma is the real reason that we're starting to see a lot of these details that fans have wanted for so long come to light. Like for example, I always wanted a story that takes place in a future setting where the ancient powers (Triforce, Master Sword, etc) are forgotten and rendered practically powerless, and the quest would involve the rebirth of these artifacts. In Wind Waker, I practically got my wish, with the Master Sword completely drained of its power, and the Triforce and even Hyrule itself completely forgotten by the civilians of the Great Sea. I loved every minute of that story.

AniHawk

I would love the idea of having Link start out as a commanding knight in the Hylian army and then slowly be revealed as the Hero, and this would mean numerous confrontations with the Gerudo leader Ganondorf from time to time throughout the game.

That would be pretty cool. The only thing I see as a problem with that is in OoT, Ganondorf serves the King of Hyrule, or is at least an ambassador of sorts. The Gerudo and Ganondorf- if they were fighting, they'd have to be completely disguised. The end of the game would have to have the Hero of Time's dad figure out who this leader is (the "wicked man from the desert"), but fail to defeat him since Ganondorf already has the Triforce of Power. Somewhere in there, the main character would have had time to have a kid and lose his wife as well.

Tritroid

AniHawk said:
That would be pretty cool. The only thing I see as a problem with that is in OoT, Ganondorf serves the King of Hyrule, or is at least an ambassador of sorts. The Gerudo and Ganondorf- if they were fighting, they'd have to be completely disguised. The end of the game would have to have the Hero of Time's dad figure out who this leader is (the "wicked man from the desert"), but fail to defeat him since Ganondorf already has the Triforce of Power. Somewhere in there, the main character would have had time to have a kid and lose his wife as well.
Well, the Gerudo (led by Ganondorf) could simply be partaking in the war of the races during the Unification War, so them fighting the Hylians wouldn't be too far off. And since all of the races - the Gorons, the Zora, and the Kokiri - all pledged allegiance to the king of hyrule in some form or another once the war had ended, the Gerudo doing the same would tie-in why Ganondorf is seen pledging loyalty to the king in OoT. It's just unbeknownst to everyone else besides Zelda that he has plans to completely take over Hyrule.

You are right though about somehow involving the sequence of events that lead up to the birth of the Hero of Time. That might be a little complicated to tie in to the story since the majority of Zelda games are usually fast-paced what with moving from one dungeon to the next. Unless of course they have the Hero of Time already born by the time his father starts to emerge as the Hero, and then later his mother takes him to Kokiri Forest once the war starts up. I'm not sure what you mean though about the Hero of Time's father not being able to defeat Ganondorf because he would have the Triforce of Power though, because he wouldn't actually have that until he breaks through to the Sacred Realm and splits the Triforce in OoT, which would be years later.

AniHawk

Oh yeah. That's how it happened.

Well, HoT's dad would still have to die. I'd prefer it to be at the hands of Ganondorf. I've been told ALttP's backstory sounds really violent, and this would give good reason to truly hate Ganondorf after being made so sympathetic after TWW. I'd like to see Ganondorf begin kinda level headed, having his own reasons for control of the land and slowly becoming more and more derranged.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I can't wait for this game. Aside from a certain lack of ... focus, the Oracles games were amongst my favorites, surprisingly enough. The gameplay and dungeon puzzles, particularly in OoA, were just TOP freaking NOTCH. LA was probably my least favorite Zelda, ever. Dungeons sucked completely. Though, the ending was absolutely fantastic. Chilling and emotional. G-d, I wish they could remake that game, especially the music. The Balad of the WindFish was a ridiculously awesome song. At the end credits and whatnot.

Screenboy

Tritroid said:
Not possible.

Ganon could kill Link at the end. Hero gone, God's flood. Best. Ending. Ever.

-SB

Tritroid

AniHawk said:
Oh yeah. That's how it happened.

Well, HoT's dad would still have to die. I'd prefer it to be at the hands of Ganondorf. I've been told ALttP's backstory sounds really violent, and this would give good reason to truly hate Ganondorf after being made so sympathetic after TWW. I'd like to see Ganondorf begin kinda level headed, having his own reasons for control of the land and slowly becoming more and more derranged.
Yeah, LttP does have a more violent backstory than any of the others, and it's also more detailed. The backstory, which is recorded in the Book of Mudora, shortly describes a period before Ganondorf managed to find the Triforce of multiple people who were desperately trying to find its whereabouts, and that most of them fought and died in the effort. It sounds like it was a short war almost. LttP's backstory is also more bloody because it describes what actually happened once Ganondorf stepped foot inside the Sacred Realm during OoT and shortly before the Imprisoning War. It says that he invaded the Sacred Realm with multiple thieves, no doubt the Gerudo who were probably already stationed inside Hyrule Castle after it was taken over, and entered the pyramid where the Triforce was resting (Which would have been the Chamber of Sages). It goes on to say that once they all had laid eyes on the Triforce, they began to fight over who would claim it, and eventually Ganondorf murdered them all in order to take hold of the Triforce with his blood-stained hands. It's also possible that there were a few Sages who were murdered during this invasion, considering Rauru is the only remaining Sage once Link awakens from his 7 year slumber. This is where the LttP backstory pretty much ends however, so it doesn't go on to explain that Ganondorf was unable to actually gain the True Force, and was left with only the Triforce of Power.

But I agree that having Ganondorf murder the Hero of Time's father would be a good way to show that how he originally was so full of hatred and had nothing but lust for power, and then slowly was beginning to find reasoning for his actions by the time the events of Wind Waker rolled around. It would make for excellent character development.
Ganon could kill Link at the end. Hero gone, God's flood. Best. Ending. Ever.
Still, it doesn't exactly fit. The backstory at the beginning of Wind Waker says that once Ganon had returned, the people of Hyrule assumed that the Hero of Time would again appear to save them. So they were actually looking for him to arrive. Meaning there would have been no one else there to stop Ganon. Unless what Ani says about legend distortion is brought into play, because that is possible. But I still think that area of the legend is pretty much covered.

This isn't one of my most anticipated games for the very fact that previous Game Boy Zelda titls have been "okay". I'm waiting for more impressions of the final product.

Tritroid said:
Not possible.

I'm not so sure. I see Link as having been freed from the role of "Hero of Time" at the end of OoT, when Zelda sends him back to relive his childhood. From that point he leaves Hyrule altogether and heads off to Termina (Majora's Mask).

This is where I still think it could be a prequel to Wind Waker: the people are waiting for "The Hero" to return, but Link has grown up a different person - the sword of evil's bane is returned.... and if the plot were to follow Wind Waker's backstory - those that worship the Gods who created the power of triforce and the mastersword will have been slain by Ganon. Making Link's mission all the more difficult... it wouldn't necessarily end with Link's death either:

Ganon is sealed away. It is at the beginning of Wind Waker that he manages to escape through his black/purple portals to the surface of the Great Sea. His power is diminished, and he is seeking young maidens with pointy ears so he might locate Zelda's progeny and gain the triforce of wisdom. If you recall: it is when you draw the Master Sword that Ganon reveals his power was restored.

What power was locked away? How and why? By whom? There is nothing of this in Ocarina of Time. Perhaps there was a forgotten hero, who lived and breathed in the land beneath the sea - Hyrule. One that fought to do the best he could - making enough time for the Gods to do their work. Maybe HE was one of the people the Gods chose to flee into the mountains at the great flood... maybe it was his family that colonised Outset Island. You could see all of this at the end of the game! It would be awesome.

It would make me feel less bitter about the art style anyway :)

AniHawk

"God's" is possessive. God's turkey roast is ready.

"Gods" is plural. Uh-oh, the Gods are flooding Hyrule again.

You raise some good points in that final paragraph though.

Heh sorry, I'm always doing that :p

Too much work, not enough sleep. I have diminishing memories of spelling & grammar with each day of work at my mundane job :D

And thanks!

Tritroid

I think you're a little confused. :\ According to Aonuma, there are two separate timelines going on at the same time; Pre-7-year period, and Post-7-year period. The timeline doesn't strictly go from OoT, to Majora's Mask, and then to Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time splits the series into two.

radioheadrule83 said:
I'm not so sure. I see Link as having been freed from the role of "Hero of Time" at the end of OoT, when Zelda sends him back to relive his childhood. From that point he leaves Hyrule altogether and heads off to Termina (Majora's Mask).
Yes, the Hero of Time is sent back to Pre-7-Year Hyrule to relive his childhood with the threat of Ganondorf and evil overtaking Hyrule completely gone thanks to his efforts in the future. Only a few months after he returns, he sets off on a quest to find Navi, and ends up in Termina. At the point in which he enters Termina, the Triforce of Courage (which returned to Pre-7-Year Hyrule still within him) separated from his body and split into the 8 fragments that were scattered throughout Hyrule. "He was separated from the elements that had made him a Hero" is how Daphnes Nohansen describes it. The Triforce itself, being an artifact of the gods, is obviously able to transcend time and space with the enormous power that is contains, and it's suggested in LttP and the Oracles that there is a conscious essence within the Triforce. Because of this, it would make sense that the 8 fragments of the Triforce of Courage ended up back in the Post-7-Year Hyrule, and not in Pre-7-Year Hyrule because it probably assumed that it would be needed again what with the Hero of Time not being there. The Hero of Winds was then able to find and assemble the Triforce of Courage in his own time period, which is Post-7-year Hyrule. The Hero of Time DOES return to Hyrule however at the end of Majora's Mask, and not much more is known about him. (Unless of course you count Soul Calibur II, which is a little far-fetched but it still fits.)

This is where I still think it could be a prequel to Wind Waker: the people are waiting for "The Hero" to return, but Link has grown up a different person - the sword of evil's bane is returned.... and if the plot were to follow Wind Waker's backstory - those that worship the Gods who created the power of triforce and the mastersword will have been slain by Ganon. Making Link's mission all the more difficult... it wouldn't necessarily end with Link's death either:

Ganon is sealed away. It is at the beginning of Wind Waker that he manages to escape through his black/purple portals to the surface of the Great Sea. His power is diminished, and he is seeking young maidens with pointy ears so he might locate Zelda's progeny and gain the triforce of wisdom. If you recall: it is when you draw the Master Sword that Ganon reveals his power was restored.

What power was locked away? How and why? By whom? There is nothing of this in Ocarina of Time.
Yes, the people of Hyrule were waiting for the Hero of Time to return once Ganon escaped from the Sacred Realm. But the Hero of Time wasn't simply there grown up as a different person, he wasn't there period. He was in a completely different time period; in a Hyrule at peace with the absence of Ganon. The Post-7-Year Hyrule is the Hyrule that Wind Waker takes place in, and it's the same Hyrule that Ganon manages to invade with the Hero completely absent from that time period. The Hylians have rebuilt Hyrule Castle after the fall of Ganon's Tower (This time on a cliff surrounded by water), and the Master Sword is moved from the Temple of Time to the basement of Hyrule Castle and sealed by the Royal Family crest. The Sages probably had a hand in this, as the stain glass windows in the Master Sword chamber of Hyrule Castle in Wind Waker show each of the 6 of them (Minus Zelda).

Yes you're right, most of the Hylians were probably murdered by Ganon upon his return as part of his revenge. His Tower has also been rebuilt during this time not too far from where the new Hyrule Castle stood. I'd imagine however that Hyrule Castle must have put up a decent fight, since it was still left standing by the time the Gods sealed all of Hyrule. As you'll notice however, the Castle was on the verge of being attacked just as the Seal took place because of the multiple Moblins and Iron Knuckles who were frozen in time.

I do understand what you mean about the Master Sword key and Ganon's power being sealed slightly confusing however, because it is. Ganon's power was obviously fully restored once he escaped the Sacred Realm and began to attack Hyrule again in the Hero of Time's absence, but somehow when the Gods sealed Hyrule beneath the sea they must have also sealed Ganon's power and used the Master Sword as a key that kept his evil locked away. Which would make sense, since the Master Sword has been used as a key before: originally for entering the Sacred Realm.

So I really believe that the Gods were responsible for sealing Ganon's power the second time, and not an unknown Hero. Because Wind Waker makes it pretty evident that the Gods were forced to take control of the situation since there was no other Hero to arise until the Hero of Winds centuries later.

Top Bottom