• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen5 Review Thread.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

Last edited:

StereoVsn

So absolutely pointless if you have 7000 series. I also now wonder if there is going to be any point in getting 9800x3d.

The one good thing is that this will drive down 7000 series pricing. What a shit show on the consumer CPU front from both AMD and Intel.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
More reviews

T4keD0wN

How is 9700x slower than 7700x in multiple games?
Sad Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

The good thing is it doesnt really matter which cpu youll buy and that theres no need to upgrade since all the recent ones will perform nearly identically in modern game engines.

Looks like Arrow Lake will be the next architecture for me as long as their power consumption is reasonable.

Btw, anyone seen a review with ffmpeg/handbrake 1.8+ tests?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Only a few minutes in but yeh, the thumbnails check out.

CPU market is in a poor place. Nvidia please save us.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

For someone like me, who still is on Intel Core i5-4570, worth to jump into Zen 5?
Depends on price. Despite not beating the old gens, the new ones absolutely destroys in efficiency. It performs the same as Ryzens 7000s but consuming even less than some Ryzens 5000s. Ryzen 7 can easily be cooled by an air cooler, while an i7 will give any 360mm watercooler a hard time. But if you're just looking for pure game performance, do yourself a favour and get a 7000 3D variant.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

That is a very old CPU, so upgrading to any modern CPU will be a big jump.
But if you want the best gaming performance, go for a 7800X3D. Or wait for the 9800X3D.

But 7800X3D is Zen 4 and I like that if I do a huge upgrade I might as well go for the latest Zen 5.

winjer

Gold Member
But 7800X3D is Zen 4 and I like that if I do a huge upgrade I might as well go for the latest Zen 5.

Both Zen4 and Zen 5 use the same AM5 motherboards. And probably also Zen6.
So don't be concerned about being blocked on a platform.
As you can see, the 9700X is marginally faster than the 7700X. But it's more expensive, so it's not worth it.
The 7800x3D is the fastest CPU today in games. But it's more expensive.
But if you really must have a Zen5, then wait for the 9800X3D.

SolidQ

In total I ran nearly 400 benchmarks in full across these new Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X desktop processors along with all of the re-testing over the summer of the Intel Core 13th/14th Gen and Ryzen 5000/7000 series (c) Phoronix
92ca8bfba3a185bff93e4e05c572ee94.png

The raw performance results alone were impressive for this big Linux desktop CPU comparison but it's all the more mesmerizing when accounting for the CPU power use. On average across the nearly 400 benchmarks the Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X were consuming 73 Watts on average and a peak of 101~103 Watts. The Ryzen 5 7600X meanwhile had a 92 Watt average and a 149 Watt peak while the Ryzen 7 7700X had a 99 Watt average and 140 Watt peak. The Core i5 14600K with being a power hungry Raptor Lake had a 127 Watt average and a 236 Watt peak. The power efficiency of these Zen 5 processors are phenomenal!

Seems good CPU for PS6 and maybe next Xbox

Last edited:

M1987

Lot's of positives here:
1. If you've already got a 7000 series, take solace in knowing that you are still in good shape.
2. They seem to have much more finely tuned the PBO, such that you don't need to do a -30 offset to get the best temp to performance ratio.

Other than that,

Underwhelming.
What's a good offset? I'm using -30 on my 7600x,and thought that was the best to have it at

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
In total I ran nearly 400 benchmarks in full across these new Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X desktop processors along with all of the re-testing over the summer of the Intel Core 13th/14th Gen and Ryzen 5000/7000 series (c) Phoronix
92ca8bfba3a185bff93e4e05c572ee94.png

The raw performance results alone were impressive for this big Linux desktop CPU comparison but it's all the more mesmerizing when accounting for the CPU power use. On average across the nearly 400 benchmarks the Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X were consuming 73 Watts on average and a peak of 101~103 Watts. The Ryzen 5 7600X meanwhile had a 92 Watt average and a 149 Watt peak while the Ryzen 7 7700X had a 99 Watt average and 140 Watt peak. The Core i5 14600K with being a power hungry Raptor Lake had a 127 Watt average and a 236 Watt peak. The power efficiency of these Zen 5 processors are phenomenal!

Seems good CPU for PS6 and maybe next Xbox
Zen 5 will first be seen in the next "Xbox" in the "console" space

I am sure PS6 will as well later down the road

peish

From the reviews, it seems if you unlock the power limits as you will for zen4, the new chips give you the right uplift but the power consumption runs amok than expected

My say, wait 6 month for tsmc 2nd spin and buy your zen5, it sounds like early 4nm woes for amd

Perrott

Zen 5 will first be seen in the next "Xbox" in the "console" space

I am sure PS6 will as well later down the road
More like Zen6 or Zen6+ for the PS6, considering that it is expected for 2028.

The power efficiency of Zen5 seems pretty remarkable though. I can see the Steam Deck successor taking great advantage of the eventual Zen5c cores paired alongside RDNA4 CUs for a killer handheld SoC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What's a good offset? I'm using -30 on my 7600x,and thought that was the best to have it at
Realistically, to get the absolute best performance you should set an offset to each individual core. I have my best performing cores with -10 offset and my remaining cores at -30. Sometimes you can go even lower than -30.

Haint

Holy shit this is the worst CPU release in a LONG time, possibly ever. I can't recall the last time we've waited 2 years for a literal rebadge and partial regression of the predessor. A barely above average 7700X sample would outperform this trash across the board. Nothing to say but wow at such a stunning failure.

Last edited:

Codeblew

So it runs cooler than my -30 undervolted 7700X it seems with a little bit extra performance. Not bad assuming it runs faster for people who want to juice it up. I am waiting to see the 9950X before I decide if I want to upgrade or wait. I kind of want the extra 8 cores over what I have now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom