• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen5 Review Thread.

winjer

Gold Member
Wtf zen5 is worse than zen4?

No. It's slightly faster.
But a lot more efficient in multithread workloads.

power-multithread.png

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Yes, the 9700X loses in a few games to the 7700X. But it's still faster on average.
And, the 9700X is not slower than a 5800X3D. I wish it was, because I have one myself.
I saw tests in many games where it is, u will be fine with ur 5800x3d for a while still, at the least till zen6 x3d, maybe even longer :)

Haint

No. It's slightly faster.
But a lot more efficient in multithread workloads.

power-multithread.png

Literally no one buying an X processor gives a flying fuck about efficiency. These are performance desktop parts, 99% of which go in 3+ foot tall cases with 60 watts of RGB lights, 5+ fans, and a 400+ watt GPU. Efficiency in this market only matters if it translates to higher clocks and faster fps/workloads, which this clearly does not. Instead it saves 2 cents on your annual power bill.

Last edited:

SolidQ

According to LTT, AMD have focused on efficiency this time around which makes it feel like it is designed for adaptation to laptops, consoles,
More like this based on Xbox leaks. PS6 maybe going to Zen6

A bit conflicting info
Z6 is by the Z4/Z2 team
4/3 were the same team, 5 is from the 1/2 team

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Not surprised to see some people grasping trying to make this release seem okay.

When i saw Leonidas in the OP. Even with the title i said well this is going to be bad. He must be enjoying this. Will watch this later. Sad this release sucks. Wasted opportunity.
I'm just glad that I correctly called that AMD's benchmarks were heavily cherry picked. Something I knew 2 months ago after seeing how AMD arrived at their 1st party results. AMD can't fool me.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The king from value perspective would be 5800X3D
Well, I'm not really considering 2 gen's ago if I'm being honest. If I'm gonna spend anything, it would be for a significant performance boost over what I currently have, which is a 5800x. 5800x3d is not a big enough jump to be considered, plus it's on AM4. Not much of an upgrade IMO.

winjer

Gold Member
Not surprised to see some people grasping trying to make this release seem okay.

I'm just glad that I correctly called that AMD's benchmarks were heavily cherry picked. Something I knew 2 months ago after seeing how AMD arrived at their 1st party results. AMD can't fool me.

Almost everyone said those benchmarks were cherry picked, because that is what AMD, Intel, Nvidia, ARM, Apple, and every other company do.
That is why we all said we need independent benchmarks. So many times.
What we disputed is your insistence that Intel is the only one that does not publish cherry picked benchmarks.
We all know you are an Intel fanboy. Through and through.

Zathalus

Disappointing, maybe Arrow Lake would be the killer CPU this gen but after the recent Intel debacles and the lacklustre leaked results it might end up being a disappointment as well.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Disappointing, maybe Arrow Lake would be the killer CPU this gen but after the recent Intel debacles and the lacklustre leaked results it might end up being a disappointment as well.
Im big intel fan and still got oced 8700k in my rig, but definitely not gonna touch intel cpu's anytime soon, likely gonna wait for 9800x3d+ 5090 combo next year if prices arent too crazy, but who really knows :p

Leonidas

What we disputed is your insistence that Intel is the only one that does not publish cherry picked benchmarks.
All I remember is how you people said I was lying when I said Raptor Lake would beat Zen5 in at least one of the cherry picked titles, and that very thing ended up happening.

I even put a ban bet on the line, and you didn't take it, cause you knew I wasn't lying. If you took that bet, you wouldn't be posting here today...

Leonidas

At this point I wouldn't care if Arrow Lake is a failure too. I'm quite happy with my 13600K and its Zen5 like gaming performance.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Literally no one buying an X processor gives a flying fuck about efficiency. These are performance desktop parts, 99% of which go in 3+ foot tall cases with 60 watts of RGB lights, 5+ fans, and a 400+ watt GPU.
Not true. It’s less about the total wattage of the system, more about temps and cooling. Some of us would like to use an air cooler with fans running at a quiet speed, rather than running the fans full blast or paying more for an AIO.

PeteBull

Gold Member
All I remember is how you people said I was lying when I said Raptor Lake would beat Zen5 in at least one of the cherry picked titles, and that very thing ended up happening.

I even put a ban bet on the line, and you didn't take it, cause you knew I wasn't lying. If you took that bet, you wouldn't be posting here today...
No1 sane gonna get intel cpu, bro, even at those nasty zen5 prices, we will simply either sit on our old ones or go for 7800x3d, or maybe go for 9800x3d if its actually good(dont care about price, can be 600usd/euro as long as its 15% above 7800x3d in games :p )
Not buying intel coz fk having portable nuke at ur desk, fk that thought :messenger_weary:

marquimvfs

Not true. It’s less about the total wattage of the system, more about temps and cooling. Some of us would like to use an air cooler with fans running at a quiet speed, rather than running the fans full blast or paying more for an AIO.
Haint Haint It also does matter in places where the energy cost is high and there's several computers running. Like professional usage in almost any mid company outside USA.

Helps OEM a lot in Europe too, to comply with strict energy consumption regulation.

Last edited:

peish

Unlock PBO for zen5 to beat zen4 in games, but you need extra 20W.

Zen5 can run up to 40W more than zen4 at the same temps.

tsmc 4nm early woes, it is nothing. Amd will be back

Leonidas

No1 sane gonna get intel cpu, bro, even at those nasty zen5 prices
I think its silly to overlook the 13600K/14600K. The issues for those CPUs seem to be in normal levels as far as I'm aware.

Zen5 gaming performance and much better than similarly priced Zen5 in productivity.

But Raptor Lake is very old news and those i5s are still holding up.

After Arrow Lake launches in 2-3 months the aging Raptor Lake could soon be forgotten.

or maybe go for 9800x3d if its actually good(dont care about price, can be 600usd/euro as long as its 15% above 7800x3d in games
After seeing the abysmal gaming increase of Zen5 over Zen4, the chance of Zen5 3D being 15% above 7800X3D is extremely low.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think its silly to overlook the 13600K/14600K. The issues for those CPUs seem to be in normal levels as far as I'm aware.

Zen5 gaming performance and much better than similarly priced Zen5 in productivity.

But Raptor Lake is very old news and those i5s are still holding up.

After Arrow Lake launches in 2-3 months the aging Raptor Lake could soon be forgotten.

After seeing the abysmal gaming increase of Zen5 over Zen4, the chance of Zen5 3D being 15% above 7800X3D is extremely low.
It is until the Microcode update gets tested and reviewed. If that microcode does give stability fixes and solves the issue, then 14600K and 13600K are very viable options.

marquimvfs

It is until the Microcode update gets tested and reviewed. If that microcode does give stability fixes and solves the issue, then 14600K and 13600K are very viable options.
The issue won't be solved, just prevented. It's also unknown if and how it will affect performance.

marquimvfs

That's why I said it was silly to buy those right now. We will know a lot more next week.
Gotcha. The point is that is not silly to avoid those even after the patch, given that we truly don't know how those processors will behave regarding their defects. The new microcode could extend their life a year or two, and then fail, or they could live almost eternally with a minor 5% performance downgrade. Just wait for the results after the microcode isn't enough for people who stay in a platform for almost a decade and then sell everything, like me. I would avoid them like the plague.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Is 13600K/14600K experiencing instability? If the 13600K/14600K stability was never a problem then people were waiting and fearing from nothing, that's all I'm saying.

Puscifer

So absolutely pointless if you have 7000 series. I also now wonder if there is going to be any point in getting 9800x3d.

The one good thing is that this will drive down 7000 series pricing. What a shit show on the consumer CPU front from both AMD and Intel.
Gimme that 7800X3D for 300 dollars again plox

Haint

Haint Haint It also does matter in places where the energy cost is high and there's several computers running. Like professional usage in almost any mid company outside USA.

Helps OEM a lot in Europe too, to comply with strict energy consumption regulation.

Companies fleet purchase small form factors with non-X/K sku's (often even laptop trays in them) which was my point, they're not the market for these.

Literally a $30 peerless assassin aircooler will max clock a 7700X without breaking a sweat and a single PBO calibration will barely run the fans at all, completely inaudible.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Companies fleet purchase small form factors with non-X/K sku's (often even laptop trays in them) which was my point, they're not the market for these.
Not really. I've just built 7 Ryzens X for an architect's office. Sometimes the performance matters and not everyone buys overpriced oems workstations.

Haint

Not really. I've just built 7 Ryzens X for an architect's office. Sometimes the performance matters and not everyone buys overpriced oems workstations.

And how much do you think the 5 - 50 Watt efficiency gain, only under active max load, would actually save you a year? Only seeing a return an infinitesimally small fraction of the time, maybe a few bucks a year for the whole fleet. You could save 1000x more switching toilet paper brands.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

7800x3d just dropped to $350 on amazon, scooped one up for my son's Fractal Terra build after watching the reviews for the 9700x. The efficiency is impressive but the 7800x3d is not that far behind in that regard and trounces it in gaming which will be the primary use of that build.

Top Bottom