• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen5 Review Thread.

BlackTron

Honestly, this kinda tracks. You'll be able to play today's games on smaller hardware before having "tomorrow's games". I get the obsession with moar power, but realistically, it's a better CPU. You just won't feel it in the experience of sitting down playing the game, you'll feel it in power, temps, more case/build options, whatever.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Worse? No. Not at all.

Better in temp and power draw? Quite a bit.

Better in performance? By a negligible amount.

Worth an upgrade if you have a 7000 series CPU? Not at all, unless saving a few Watts of power REALLY matters to you.
Actually if u go for value u go 7700/x or if u go for max perf u go7800x3d, 0 reason to go with zen5 for gaming, like no reason at all, even perf/wat is worse from 7800x3d...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is 13600K/14600K experiencing instability? If the 13600K/14600K stability was never a problem then people were waiting and fearing from nothing, that's all I'm saying.
They've had their issues too. Nowhere near the degree of the 900 series, but they have been reported there.

marquimvfs

And how much do you think the 5 - 50 Watt efficiency gain, only under active max load, would actually save you a year? Only seeing a return an infinitesimally small fraction of the time, maybe a few bucks a year for the whole fleet. You could save 1000x more switching toilet paper brands.
Considering the worst case scenario, about 50W less, times 7 pcs, times 12H day for R$0,93, the office would save about R$120,00 a month. Times 12, they will loose more than a grand. In the average scenario, the loss could be equal to their expense in maintenance of the said computers, or the cost of the water bill and so on. Like I said, outside USA it matters.

So much for switching toilet paper brand...

Is 13600K/14600K experiencing instability? If the 13600K/14600K stability was never a problem then people were waiting and fearing from nothing, that's all I'm saying.
It always seems like people use these like team sports. Intel vs AMD, Xbox vs PlayStation... its ridiculous.
If I was building right now, I would be getting the 13600k for $200 , seems to be the best bang for your buck at 17th place for an i5 no less. The 7950x3d is $525.. For less performance the AMD cpu(according to userbenchmarks site, at 22nd place. less gaming performance but slightly higher work center performance. So unless you are doing insane rendering or compute task, the intel chip is the way to go, also way more affordable. I paid $150 for my 3600 in 2020, so an extra $50 for way better performance sounds good.

People don't want to hear it. Its like they look down on intel, although intel has been rock solid for stability for decades. All my thinkpad pcs have had intel chips and have been flawless running for days when working. I think linus tech tips and gamers nexus and jay2cents along with others probably push the narrative along as well.

Yeah amd was tough to beat a few years back in price/performance, but doing a quick search, doesn't look like that is the case now.
With pc components you go where you get the most bang for the buck, in your budget. Why pick a team, AMD and intel don't have exclusive games or something.

Thing is we should be rooting for both sides to have wins. We need both for competition. Hell we used to have other cpu makers back in the day. More competiion means more advances and cheaper prcies for everyone.

Last edited:

SolidQ

google bench
a731c785154548f1ea944d60fcd4ce9b.png

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
6491213611_49279d9c16_o-2.jpg

Damn......me thinks i might be sticking with V1 LGA-1700 for a while.
My 12400 isnt dying yet in gaming.....and for more cores and higher boost I could just get a 13500 or 14500 and call it a day.

On to socket AM6 and V2 I guess.
Dont @ me about CPU reviews unless the u5s look spectacular and dont cost an arm n'a leg.

<----Still cautiously optimistic about the u5s from Intel.
A CPU upgrade has been calling me for a while.............but looks like ive got no reason to rush out.

gKwszxt.png

Last edited:

Haint

Considering the worst case scenario, about 50W less, times 7 pcs, times 12H day for R$0,93, the office would save about R$120,00 a month. Times 12, they will loose more than a grand. In the average scenario, the loss could be equal to their expense in maintenance of the said computers, or the cost of the water bill and so on. Like I said, outside USA it matters.

So much for switching toilet paper brand...

Ain't no reality in the entire multiverse where you're running 7 PC's at max all core loads for any amount of time, never mind 12 hours days, for any number of days a year. Your real world savings would be a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of that as we're not discussing a sustained 100% uptime load, like for example you would calculate a 24/7/365 lit lightbulb or something. Your actual wall pull load would maybe amount to bursts averaging a ~20W delta, so about the cost of periodically running a single standard 1200 lumen LED lightbulb per PC.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Getting the power down is nice to see. Looks like 7000s users will need to hold out for the next series if they want to make an upgrade on an existing board.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
That is rich coming from an Intel shill.
Why am I a shill? For warning you people that Zen5 could trade blows with a 2022 CPU? That's exactly what ended up happening you know?

I'm not here to hate on AMD. I wish Zen5 was the fastest gaming CPU today, so I could be excited to look forward to its battle with Arrow Lake.

Now the gaming CPU 2024 battle is no longer exciting for me. Intel has to go backwards (in gaming) for it to be a close match. That would be an embarrassing outcome.

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Yes, only Intel has the right to ship unstable CPUs and try to bury the issue for as long as possible.
But I thought good guy AMD was going to have a stable release after the recall. If I see users posting crashing reports online, it'll be a damn shame, especially after AMD said they improved their quality control...

FireFly

But I thought good guy AMD was going to have a stable release after the recall. If I see users posting crashing reports online, it'll be a damn shame, especially after AMD said they improved their quality control...
I'm sure you'll be going through those reports with a fine-tooth comb, while completely ignoring any crash reports coming from Intel users after the microcode update.

Bashtee

I'd say it's a pretty impressive achievement in efficiency. Same performance with 30-40% less energy consumption.

From what I can see zen5 make for decent server CPUs

Yeah, I agree. Wonder how far they can push it in terms of clock speed with the increased headroom.

Sadly, the core count didn't increase. If the price jump for Threadripper wasn't so big, I'd go with that.

Soodanim

People are crying, but I'm keeping an eye on this as I'm overdue for a new system and the idea that 9800X3D will likely be in a similar range as the champion 7800X3D but at much lower power consumption and heat output is great for me as that's what I'm aiming for every time.

A more efficient CPU should also last longer, so win-win for me as far as I can tell.

FireFly

That's for AVX512 workloads though.
I'd say it's a pretty impressive achievement in efficiency. Same performance with 30-40% less energy consumption.
The 9700X looks to be about 10% better than the 65W 7700 in multi threaded applications and less in gaming. I think Strix Point is arguably more impressive from a pure efficiency standpoint.

twilo99

Gold Member
People are crying, but I'm keeping an eye on this as I'm overdue for a new system and the idea that 9800X3D will likely be in a similar range as the champion 7800X3D but at much lower power consumption and heat output is great for me as that's what I'm aiming for every time.

A more efficient CPU should also last longer, so win-win for me as far as I can tell.

5800x3d - 105W
7800x3d - 120W

I don’t have experience with the 120W part, but I know I can run the 105W air cooled with a very conservative fan curve, so if they can keep the 9800x3d down around 105W and match the 7800x3d in performance I’d consider upgrading as well. 65W would be amazing but I doubt it..

G-DannY

So Techpowerup says it's amazing value and Hardware Unboxed says it's awful value.

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

HWU are Aussies so it makes sense that things there spin the other side

GHG

Gold Member

So Techpowerup says it's amazing value and Hardware Unboxed says it's awful value.

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

Well techpowerup's own graphs don't have it ranking too highly on that metric either:

performance-per-dollar.png

Sometimes it's better to just look at the numbers and ignore the words.

Top Bottom