• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenless Zone Zero ༺*|OT|*༻ Gotta Waifu 'Em All ♡(੭´͈ ᐜ `͈)੭♡

ap_puff

Neo Member
If “built” means character and engine are at level 60, skills maxed, and sub-engines (I forget their proper name) more or less optimized, Ellen is the only one I’ve “built” (and even then her sub engines need some work still) and I’ve been playing since launch more or less. But not everyone has time to fully dive into every aspect of the game consistently all the time, for about a month I was just doing my dailies and not really building anyone just because I was very busy at that time. Plus, while I enjoy ZZZ, I personally find Honkai Star Rail’s building/combat more engaging so I do tend to focus on that more, whereas ZZZ I’m not too worried at the moment about maxing out characters. Heck, that one recent event highlighted this: “don’t have high level characters? No worries, here’s a ton of trial level 55 characters for you to max out this event’s rewards!”

I know the higher level hunts and the hard mode version of missions do need pretty strong characters, but I’ve been selective on who I pull (got Ellen and Zhu Yuan, haven’t pulled since until Burnice comes out) compared to Star Rail as I only find some ZZZ characters appealing (and some of them are A-tier or standard S-tier). So I’m hardly hurting for pull currency.
The games core design is based around faction-paired duos. For example koleda and Ben are designed as a pair, they even have unique attack animations when they're in the same team. Ellen and lycaon are designed to team up, qingyi and zhu yuan, for Jane it is Seth. If you don't care about maximizing her abilities then just put whoever, but I assume you wanted to pull some of her maximum combat abilities out. If you don't have or don't want to build Seth, then your choices are basically just use her with someone that buffs her attack. If you have a piper you can also run her there, put 4p freedom blues on piper and run fanged metal on Jane. Jane really wants to spend most of her time on field and doesn't really care about stun. You can play soukaku with her, but IDK about koleda, imo you'd rather just keep Jane on field than trying to stun with koleda

Doom85

The games core design is based around faction-paired duos. For example koleda and Ben are designed as a pair, they even have unique attack animations when they're in the same team. Ellen and lycaon are designed to team up, qingyi and zhu yuan, for Jane it is Seth. If you don't care about maximizing her abilities then just put whoever, but I assume you wanted to pull some of her maximum combat abilities out. If you don't have or don't want to build Seth, then your choices are basically just use her with someone that buffs her attack. If you have a piper you can also run her there, put 4p freedom blues on piper and run fanged metal on Jane. Jane really wants to spend most of her time on field and doesn't really care about stun. You can play soukaku with her, but IDK about koleda, imo you'd rather just keep Jane on field than trying to stun with koleda

I don’t really care about team meta. In Star Rail, I don’t pull for characters I don’t like in-story to varying degrees (so no Ruan Mei, Aventurine, Kafka, Blade, Jade) even though I’m constantly hit with people going, “well, your Black Swan isn’t optimized without Kafka!” and the like. And it’s like, “oh no, I might only be able to 90% the latest endgame mode! I’ll be missing out on a whooping 80 Stellar Jade!” Like, pulling characters I don’t want would cost more than that.

My mindset is always:

-pull the characters I like in story (Ellen was a tsundere maid, instant pull. Zhu Yuan was a cool badass I vibed with, she felt worth pulling. Burnice I will most likely pull, unless in story she annoys me. Mind you, I’ve not disliked any of the other pullable characters in ZZZ yet, just the ones I have skipped I thought were just okay in the story)
-build them strongly by themselves (so I have their signature engine, and max their skills and reasonably optimize their sub engines. I follow certain sites’ build advice on what sub engines to go for so I don’t need to think about it too much)
-then with the characters who meet those two requirements, I will put them on teams with how I see fit. I will not waste resources and time building a character I do not like or simply find forgettable even if my team “needs it”. Now, obviously I won’t ever have limited 5 stars I skip, but say the day ever comes I get Yanqing on the standard banner in Star Rail (better not, only standard 5 stars I’m missing are him and Himeko, and I want Himeko!). Even if a mode would clearly be easier if I built him, I would never do so because I still don’t like Yanqing (sorry, I know some fans are warming up to him in the latest story update, I still find him unremarkable and occasionally annoying).

Sorry if I come off as defensive, I just think people should know not everyone thinks about the meta as much as everyone else. I want my individual characters to be as strong as they can be EXCEPT for pairing them with characters I don’t care about. That’s just how I roll.

ap_puff

Neo Member
I don’t really care about team meta. In Star Rail, I don’t pull for characters I don’t like in-story to varying degrees (so no Ruan Mei, Aventurine, Kafka, Blade, Jade) even though I’m constantly hit with people going, “well, your Black Swan isn’t optimized without Kafka!” and the like. And it’s like, “oh no, I might only be able to 90% the latest endgame mode! I’ll be missing out on a whooping 80 Stellar Jade!” Like, pulling characters I don’t want would cost more than that.

My mindset is always:

-pull the characters I like in story (Ellen was a tsundere maid, instant pull. Zhu Yuan was a cool badass I vibed with, she felt worth pulling. Burnice I will most likely pull, unless in story she annoys me. Mind you, I’ve not disliked any of the other pullable characters in ZZZ yet, just the ones I have skipped I thought were just okay in the story)
-build them strongly by themselves (so I have their signature engine, and max their skills and reasonably optimize their sub engines. I follow certain sites’ build advice on what sub engines to go for so I don’t need to think about it too much)
-then with the characters who meet those two requirements, I will put them on teams with how I see fit. I will not waste resources and time building a character I do not like or simply find forgettable even if my team “needs it”. Now, obviously I won’t ever have limited 5 stars I skip, but say the day ever comes I get Yanqing on the standard banner in Star Rail (better not, only standard 5 stars I’m missing are him and Himeko, and I want Himeko!). Even if a mode would clearly be easier if I built him, I would never do so because I still don’t like Yanqing (sorry, I know some fans are warming up to him in the latest story update, I still find him unremarkable and occasionally annoying).

Sorry if I come off as defensive, I just think people should know not everyone thinks about the meta as much as everyone else. I want my individual characters to be as strong as they can be EXCEPT for pairing them with characters I don’t care about. That’s just how I roll.
Just play her with who you like then, there's really no character that "can't" work with anyone else in this game. And Jane is a field time hog so you could even just run her solo if you wanted.

SSfox

You only have 3 characters built? Did you just start playing? Jane really wants her core passive active .. that means someone in her faction or another anomaly character.
No I'm day one. I have my main quite solid team with Zhu Yuan, Qing Yi, Nicole (C6), with Cui Bangboo

I'm trying finding a solid second team, I already had Neko build she was my early dps carry before Zhu, then I recently build Koleda since I have her C1R1, last slot I just slapped Soukakou cause she's C6 and heard she's gold. don't I have any other anomaly character, I have no Piper should I try to grab her?

My initial plan was just to wait for Miyabi, but it may take a while and I didn't wanted to spend months with a random 2nd team. So I was ok what if I do few pulls on Jane Do and see what happens, and she came in just one ten pulls 🤣 This is my earliest ever in a character banner. My earliest record was Nahida in Genshin that I got at 28.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
No I'm day one. I have my main quite solid team with Zhu Yuan, Qing Yi, Nicole (C6), with Cui Bangboo

I'm trying finding a solid second team, I already had Neko build she was my early dps carry before Zhu, then I recently build Koleda since I have her C1R1, last slot I just slapped Soukakou cause she's C6 and heard she's gold. don't I have any other anomaly character, I have no Piper should I try to grab her?

My initial plan was just to wait for Miyabi, but it may take a while and I didn't wanted to spend months with a random 2nd team. So I was ok what if I do few pulls on Jane Do and see what happens, and she came in just one ten pulls 🤣 This is my earliest ever in a character banner. My earliest record was Nahida in Genshin that I got at 28.
You can play Jane with Neko, I would put qingyi on Jane and Neko's team and go with anby and nicole on zhu yuan team. Yeah qingyi is supposed to go with zhu yuan but zhu is already strong enough with Nicole's help. For qingyi Neko Jane I would only stay on qingyi until you get the stun multiplier buff then spend the rest of the time on Jane, only bring Neko on field during stun to do ex/ult and then swap back to jane

SSfox

You can play Jane with Neko, I would put qingyi on Jane and Neko's team and go with anby and nicole on zhu yuan team. Yeah qingyi is supposed to go with zhu yuan but zhu is already strong enough with Nicole's help. For qingyi Neko Jane I would only stay on qingyi until you get the stun multiplier buff then spend the rest of the time on Jane, only bring Neko on field during stun to do ex/ult and then swap back to jane

Okay gotcha, I really like Qinq Yi she's my favorite character right now. So it's better to use Anby than Koleda C1R1 with Zhu Yuan?

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
Okay gotcha, I really like Qinq Yi she's my favorite character right now. So it's better to use Anby than Koleda C1R1 with Zhu Yuan?
I don't know I just put the combination that activates all the core passives, koleda is probably better but I tend to take a lot of damage when I play her since I'm more used to anbys combos

ap_puff

Neo Member

Blazing James Mcavoy GIF

Top Bottom