• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenless Zone Zero ༺*|OT|*༻ Gotta Waifu 'Em All ♡(੭´͈ ᐜ `͈)੭♡

Salz01

Do you ever get to pick who you want to get? Or is it always random? Getting tired… annoyed trying to get enough tapes.

ap_puff

Do you ever get to pick who you want to get? Or is it always random? Getting tired… annoyed trying to get enough tapes.
The hoyo system is 50/50, your first s-rank pull has a 50% chance to be the rate up character, the next s-rank is guaranteed to be the rate up character if you failed to get it the first try. So starting from 0 it takes 180 pulls in the worst case scenario to get what you want. On average it's probably around 110-120 pulls. It also carries over from banner to banner so if you fail you can save your 50/50 guarantee for the next character.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
On top of what ap_puff said, there's also the free S tier character selector in the permanent banner, but you need to spend 300 pulls in it in order to unlock it. Also, it's a one time thing afaik.

Last edited:

ap_puff

On top of what ap_puff said, there's also the free S tier character selector in the permanent banner, but you need to spend 300 pulls in it in order to unlock it. Also, it's a one time thing afaik.
Don't get trapped into using your resources to pull in the stable channel (permanent) banner. The standard s-rank agents are quite a bit weaker than their limited counterparts and unlike limited there's no rate up so you get a random s-rank or even w-engine when you pull on that banner, so even if you like the design of a standard character it's a noob trap. You'll eventually get all of the agents on the stable channel just by losing 50/50s on the limited banners so just exercise patience and only pull there when you get the regular tapes through events.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Don't get trapped into using your resources to pull in the stable channel (permanent) banner. The standard s-rank agents are quite a bit weaker than their limited counterparts and unlike limited there's no rate up so you get a random s-rank or even w-engine when you pull on that banner, so even if you like the design of a standard character it's a noob trap. You'll eventually get all of the agents on the stable channel just by losing 50/50s on the limited banners so just exercise patience and only pull there when you get the regular tapes through events.
Yeah, totally agree with this. Btw, I think you wanted this reply aimed at Salz01 Salz01 , since I'm well aware how the gacha works in this game. :p

Wonko_C

Can anyone help explain me this whole pull/building pity/50-50/thing in a way someone who has never played gacha games understand? (Even though I come from Honkai Impact but mostly only played through Story mode with trial characters and didn't care much about the meta) I've watched "basic" videos and still don't understand the jargon. Maybe if there was a "step by step" tutorial where I watch someone doing pulls the right way to build/not to build pity and stuff.

I made an account when the game launched but deleted it after a couple of days because I frankly didn't have enough time to invest in another F2P game, but rat-girl dragged me back in :messenger_tears_of_joy: (and it looks like the gacha gods blessed me with luck because I got her and her W-Engine after 30 pulls).

I played through the chapters and do the dailies, use up my battery every day and currently have my team of Jane, Anby and Soukaku to LV40.

BTW: Would I be not able to keep up with the story if I just keep using characters that I like based on their design and playstyle instead of building team synergy? I've heard Seth is a must for Jane but I don't like him so I'm just saving up resources and going through everything with the same three characters until max LV. I want my team to be Jane/Anby/Nekomata until another waifu comes out to replace one of them. (Soldier 11 would already be taking Anby's place if I had her) What would I be missing out if I don't go meta? I guess S-ranking the harder missions would be out of my reach?

Wait, does that mean if I get Nekomata on the stable channel there's a stronger version of her in the limited channel? I want that character to replace Soukaku.

Wonko_C

I had read that but still don't understand most of it. Like, does the game tell you when you have hard pity or 50/50? What do those terms even mean?

BTW I have my game set to spanish, maybe that makes it harder to grasp some terms, I guess I'll switch it to english first and read everything there and start from that point.

ap_puff

Can anyone help explain me this whole pull/building pity/50-50/thing in a way someone who has never played gacha games understand? (Even though I come from Honkai Impact but mostly only played through Story mode with trial characters and didn't care much about the meta) I've watched "basic" videos and still don't understand the jargon. Maybe if there was a "step by step" tutorial where I watch someone doing pulls the right way to build/not to build pity and stuff.
"Building pity" is a term that people with poor self control came up with to justify spending resources pulling on banners of characters they don't really want. Ideally as an f2p player you'd want to save up 180 pulls to make absolutely sure you get the guarantee on a character you want, but some people can't resist pulling on every banner and cope by saying it's "building pity". Don't worry about it.
BTW: Would I be not able to keep up with the story if I just keep using characters that I like based on their design and playstyle instead of building team synergy? I've heard Seth is a must for Jane but I don't like him so I'm just saving up resources and going through everything with the same three characters until max LV. I want my team to be Jane/Anby/Nekomata until another waifu comes out to replace one of them. (Soldier 11 would already be taking Anby's place if I had her) What would I be missing out if I don't go meta? I guess S-ranking the harder missions would be out of my reach?
Story mode is designed to be easy, you'll never fail them just by playing the game normally. There's no penalty to playing who you want to play except yeah it might be hard to s-clear some of the content like shiyu defense (although even that can be done)
Wait, does that mean if I get Nekomata on the stable channel there's a stronger version of her in the limited channel? I want that character to replace Soukaku.
No, just that you can consider the characters on there to be weaker than limited banners. For example, Grace is an s-rank electric anomaly character on the standard banner and yanagi is going to be an electric anomaly character introduced in 1.3, and I expect her to be mechanically stronger than grace by a considerable margin.

I had read that but still don't understand most of it. Like, does the game tell you when you have hard pity or 50/50? What do those terms even mean?

BTW I have my game set to spanish, maybe that makes it harder to grasp some terms, I guess I'll switch it to english first and read everything there and start from that point.
Yes it does tell you, if you read the details of the banner.
You say you come from honkai which means it's only slightly different.
In honkai you can see the banner counting down with every pull, and once it reaches zero you get the banner unit guaranteed, because there are no other s rankers, this is called the pity, in ZZZ you can see it counting down as well, except this time it reaches zero, there's only a 50% chance you get the banner unit, because there are a bunch of other s rankers on it, these are called standard or non-limited s-ranks.
This thus also means that if you happen to roll the s-rank slot even before the counter reaches zero, it has that same 50% chance.
The guaranteed pity activates after not getting the limited s-rank banner unit, the counter will start counting down again except this time any s-rank slot you pull, be it randomly or reaching zero on the counter, will now be 100% the limited s-rank banner unit.

This carries over between limited banners, so you can "save" your pity for another banner if that is a unit you would want more.

Aenima

Pitty, soft pitty, hard pitty are all tern used in most gachas by players.

In Hoyoverse games the pitty system is simple: When you do 90 pulls in the Limited banner (right now the limited banner is the one with Jane Doe) you reach the 50/50 pitty stage where the game garantees you an S rank character with 50% chance of being Jane Doe. If you get Jane Doe the pitty resets back to 0, and starts counting againt untill you reach 90 again. If you lose the 50/50 pitty and get an S-rank character that is not Jane Doe then the game starts counting another 90 pulls but this time its garantee that your next S-rate character will be Jane Doe. In other words, if you dont want to relly on luck and want to garantee a character you need to save enough to do 180 pulls. (Worse case scenario, most players get the characters before reaching 180)

Now what is hard pitty and soft pitty:
Hoyoverse games uses a soft pitty mechanic that is not explained in the game but what it does is when you doing pull, when you reach around 70 pulls you enter the soft pitty where the game increases the chances of dropping an S-Rank character. If you get a S rank character between your 70 and 89 pulls you got it in the soft pitty zone, if you are unlucky and the character only drops in your 90th pulls, then you got it in the hard pitty.

The game counts and shows you how many pulls you are away from reaching the pitty so its easy to track if you are are far from pitty or not.

Its also possible to get the character much earlier than reaching pitty, but thats up to luck as the drop rates in hoyoverse are extremelly low, (Less than 1%) but it can happen. But as a F2P player the best way to play is to save enough resorces to do 180 pulls in the character you want so that way you dont relly on luck and you know you will get the character you wanted no matter what.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

"Building pity" is a term that people with poor self control came up with to justify spending resources pulling on banners of characters they don't really want. Ideally as an f2p player you'd want to save up 180 pulls to make absolutely sure you get the guarantee on a character you want, but some people can't resist pulling on every banner and cope by saying it's "building pity". Don't worry about it.

Story mode is designed to be easy, you'll never fail them just by playing the game normally. There's no penalty to playing who you want to play except yeah it might be hard to s-clear some of the content like shiyu defense (although even that can be done)

No, just that you can consider the characters on there to be weaker than limited banners. For example, Grace is an s-rank electric anomaly character on the standard banner and yanagi is going to be an electric anomaly character introduced in 1.3, and I expect her to be mechanically stronger than grace by a considerable margin.

Yes it does tell you, if you read the details of the banner.
You say you come from honkai which means it's only slightly different.
In honkai you can see the banner counting down with every pull, and once it reaches zero you get the banner unit guaranteed, because there are no other s rankers, this is called the pity, in ZZZ you can see it counting down as well, except this time it reaches zero, there's only a 50% chance you get the banner unit, because there are a bunch of other s rankers on it, these are called standard or non-limited s-ranks.
This thus also means that if you happen to roll the s-rank slot even before the counter reaches zero, it has that same 50% chance.
The guaranteed pity activates after not getting the limited s-rank banner unit, the counter will start counting down again except this time any s-rank slot you pull, be it randomly or reaching zero on the counter, will now be 100% the limited s-rank banner unit.

This carries over between limited banners, so you can "save" your pity for another banner if that is a unit you would want more.

Pitty, soft pitty, hard pitty are all tern used in most gachas by players.

In Hoyoverse games the pitty system is simple: When you do 90 pulls in the Limited banner (right now the limited banner is the one with Jane Doe) you reach the 50/50 pitty stage where the game garantees you an S rank character with 50% chance of being Jane Doe. If you get Jane Doe the pitty resets back to 0, and starts counting againt untill you reach 90 again. If you lose the 50/50 pitty and get an S-rank character that is not Jane Doe then the game starts counting another 90 pulls but this time its garantee that your next S-rate character will be Jane Doe. In other words, if you dont want to relly on luck and want to garantee a character you need to save enough to do 180 pulls. (Worse case scenario, most players get the characters before reaching 180)

Now what is hard pitty and soft pitty:
Hoyoverse games uses a soft pitty mechanic that is not explained in the game but what it does is when you doing pull, when you reach around 70 pulls you enter the soft pitty where the game increases the chances of dropping an S-Rank character. If you get a S rank character between your 70 and 89 pulls you got it in the soft pitty zone, if you are unlucky and the character only drops in your 90th pulls, then you got it in the hard pitty.

The game counts and shows you how many pulls you are away from reaching the pitty so its easy to track if you are are far from pitty or not.

Its also possible to get the character much earlier than reaching pitty, but thats up to luck as the drop rates in hoyoverse are extremelly low, (Less than 1%) but it can happen. But as a F2P player the best way to play is to save enough resorces to do 180 pulls in the character you want so that way you dont relly on luck and you know you will get the character you wanted no matter what.

Thank you all for your clarifications. I have no idea how youtube videos made this more complicated than it really is.

(I'm now playing using the English localization, and even the font is better, LOL. The Spanish one is kind of harder to understand even though I'm a native Spanish speaker.)

Spyxos

Gold Member
Thank you all for your clarifications. I have no idea how youtube videos made this more complicated than it really is.

(I'm now playing using the English localization, and even the font is better, LOL. The Spanish one is kind of harder to understand even though I'm a native Spanish speaker.)
I had exactly the same problem, I play the game in German and all the guides are in English and they didn't help much because almost everything is named differently.

I'm saving all my resources for the sexy pink haired Japanese woman, not feeling Caesar or the blonde fire girl.

GYL1qt5akAI9Y5j

ap_puff

to add on to what's already been said
in ZZZ every pull you make on the limited character banner has a 0.6% chance to be an s-rank character and a 9.4% chance to be either an a-rank character or w-engine (weighted so you get about 3 a-rank characters per a-rank w-engine).
On the w-engine banners the rate is higher, 1% to be an s-rank engine and 15% to be an a-rank pull (heavily weighted to w-engines, about 10:1).
Pity:
If you don't get an A- or S- rank pull within 10 pulls, that's an A-rank pity and it automatically gives you an A-rank pull. That applies on all banners including limited, w-engine, standard, and bangboo.
"Hard" pity is the mechanic that means you are guaranteed an S-rank pull after a set number of pulls. On character banners this is 90 pulls, on w-engine and bangboo banners it's 80.
"Soft" pity refers to a mechanic where as you approach the hard pity, the 0.6%/1% chance to get an s-rank character increases, starting at around 70 pulls. There's no published rates on what it increases to but it's been documented through community data collection that it's pretty significant: the vast majority of S-rank 'pity' pulls happen by the 80th pull. It's so significant that some people believe it's impossible to make it to the full 90 hard pity.

Sfl30Yn.png

50/50 mechanic:
On limited character banners, if you got the limited character (or if you have a new account), you have a 50% chance of your first s-rank to be the limited character. If you lose the 50/50 and get something else, the next s-rank is guaranteed to be the limited character. So for example you create a new account today and pull on the current banner (Jane Doe) and get 80 pulls in and get Soldier 11 (you lost 50/50). Your next s-rank will be the limited character, so if you stop pulling on Jane Doe and pull on the next banner, which will be Caesar King, your first s-rank pull on that banner will be guaranteed to be Caesar. Once you pull Caesar, the 50/50 counter is reset and your next pull starts from scratch and will have a 50% chance to pull the limited character again.
On w-engine banners this is actually a 75/25, so you have a 75% chance to pull the limited w-engine.
On bangboo banners you are always guaranteed to get the bangboo you selected when you pull an s-rank.

ap_puff

Very interesting that they're removing TV mode from upcoming MSQ segments while they try to revamp it to be more fluid and less clunky. I actually grew to like TV mode although it could still use some work. It also makes the game pretty unique. I wonder if it'll all be rally commission-style quests.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Very interesting that they're removing TV mode from upcoming MSQ segments while they try to revamp it to be more fluid and less clunky. I actually grew to like TV mode although it could still use some work. It also makes the game pretty unique. I wonder if it'll all be rally commission-style quests.
Yes, over time I started to like Tv Mode too. I hated it at first. Hopefully they build in a lot of things over time that you can still do in the world. It will quickly becomes boring and monotonous with just fighting and lots of dialog.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I bet husbando collectors are happy with this new S rank agent. I do wonder how this banner will perform revenue wise though. 🤔
I dont get this waifu, husbando stuff. I see it like a fighting game. And play the characters that I like or that I need at the moment. In Tekken most of my characters were men, in Doa women and in Mk and Streetfighter a mix of both. If the girls are hot, it's a nice bonus but relatively unimportant for me.

Last edited:
I have a weird problem my soldier 11 is stuck with lvl 3 trust reputation for almost 5 6 days now I call her do the quest yet somehow I don't get the next lvl Ive done quests to see if she pops randomly at someokay but nothing
Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I have a weird problem my soldier 11 is stuck with lvl 3 trust reputation for almost 5 6 days now I call her do the quest yet somehow I don't get the next lvl Ive done quests to see if she pops randomly at someokay but nothing
Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?
Her Trust event is not yet finished with 1.1

ap_puff

Lmao what ? How the hell are we suppose to know that when the prime quest is raise trust of 3 agents to lvl 4 I finished Ben anby and the 3rd was her.
I think lorewise it makes sense, soldier 11 is very cagey and seems like the "trust no one" type of character. I bet she won't get a max trust event until the obol squad storyline. Who knows when that'll be.

Lmao what ? How the hell are we suppose to know that when the prime quest is raise trust of 3 agents to lvl 4 I finished Ben anby and the 3rd was her.
luckily there's an entire roster of characters you can raise the level of, most of it will happen naturally with characters just showing up randomly 😉

SSfox

This was a very good Q&A.

I really like Yanagi look, but I'm not huge fan of Anomalie so we'll see. Lighter looks good too

Not sure about the ultimate changes, if this means they will charge up slower it could mess with the flow of combat.
If the charge speed stays the same, nearly every characters stock will go up considerably.
Instead of saving it for your dps or biggest multiplier, everyone can contribute to their strength.
Need status or disorder? Switch in your anomaly and let it rip.
Need stun? , finally good use for anby's ult since it does monstrous daze.
Can't decide between soukaku and seth's gigantic ult dmg multipliers? Why not both!
Even billy becomes vastly more valuable since his ult dmg multiplier doubles after performing two chains himself.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I finally wanted to see why everyone is hyping miyabi so much. Looks kinda boring to me. It could be that they are old recordings and that she plays better than it comes across in the video, but I find her uninteresting at the moment.

I finally got my 2nd team up and running
My first being soldier 11 kolida and Ben
And now anbyc6 , Seth c4 and Jane and I feel like I'm playing a different game Jane obilerates everyone where soldier 11 is just weak compared to her

Aenima

I dont get this waifu, husbando stuff. I see it like a fighting game. And play the characters that I like or that I need at the moment. In Tekken most of my characters were men, in Doa women and in Mk and Streetfighter a mix of both. If the girls are hot, it's a nice bonus but relatively unimportant for me.
Doooooods in my harem? Hell nah!!! Im not pulling on doooods.

Saying that, i might get Lycaon when i reach the 300th pull on the permanent banner cuz he would be great for my Ellen ice team.

Last edited:

ap_puff

I finally wanted to see why everyone is hyping miyabi so much. Looks kinda boring to me. It could be that they are old recordings and that she plays better than it comes across in the video, but I find her uninteresting at the moment.

People like her concept. Cute waifu who's good at swording. She's basically the Ayaka of ZZZ.

Anime katana girl who has a badass cutscene where she single-handedly takes on a huge monster…. And people wonder why everyone is hyped for her?! lol

Edit
Pulling for Caesar 70 pulls
1 Seth
6 Anton
1 Anby
1 Sokaku
1 Piper
1 Corin

Lost 50/50 to Grace (now M1) 💔

Edit
Took another 50 to get Caesar… I’m very low on resources now… hopefully I don’t lose the 50/50 when Burnice drops… 🥺

Last edited:

Pejo

I've been on a log in - do dailies - burn energy loop with this game for about a month, still don't have 2 teams maxed out with good discs to the level 50 cap, and I've been able (but not willing) to break to 60 cap for about that long. Character building is painful if you're not using your ether batteries. I'm really happy they made the change with this new patch to let you farm weekly bosses as much as you want, just using Energy past the first 3 per week. That will help me a lot, since Core Passives are usually a pretty big boost.

Anyways, I had about 9k polychromes and a handful of reels, so I rolled 2x on the banner and got Caesar in my 2nd roll. I still don't see the point of Defense characters, but now I have one if I need her down the road. Seth was alright but his eyes were too big or something, he looks fucking weird in the game. I like the stolen Charge Blade gameplay style he had though, hope Caeser has a cool gimmick like that.

I'm personally planning on saving up now for that pink haired electro girl. Qingyi was a great help to my electric focus team, but I still don't have anyone that can do shock or Electric damage reliably, and I refuse to build Anton.

I was actually a little disappointed to see that they're removing/reducing the TV content in the dev talk. I hated it at first, but when I saw all of the different minigames and types of gameplay they were able to emulate with it, it became a nice gameplay platform for all kinds of stuff. Once you've "figured out" the combat, it starts to get a bit samey, and the TV stuff offers a nice variety to keep you from getting bored. I was hyped to read that they're adding content that isn't just gear checks and timers, that's huge for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom