• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

This game seems to be everywhere here these days. Never heard of it. Tried watching trailers on youtube; looks interesting, but doesnt give any indication at all what kind of game it is gameplay wise. Someone point me in the right direction? I have a Vita and 3DS, so kind of curious.
It's a visual novel with puzzle elements.

The majority of the game is spent reading text and making decisions that affect the story. These are broken up by various "escape the room" style puzzles.

Without going into too much detail, the first two games in the series feature a group of strangers stranded in a remote location who are forced to play a sort of game, which if they fail, they lose their life. Obviously there is a lot more to it than that, but I wouldn't want to give anything away since the story is the main draw of the series.

If you do plan to get into the series, most people (including myself) would highly suggest playing the first game (999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors for the DS) before playing Virtue's Last Reward.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Thanks guys. Is the demo the route for me then? Is Vita generally the preferred version over 3DS?

I've also heard the buzz for 999, but I doubt I could go back to it at this point.
Is it required to understand the story of the new one?

Dantis

Thanks guys. Is the demo the route for me then? Is Vita generally the preferred version over 3DS?

I've also heard the buzz for 999, but I doubt I could go back to it at this point.

Debatable. Some say yes, I say no.

And I only got 999 this last Christmas. It's aged very well.

Dantis

I thought the story stood on its own apart from 999 pretty well. There are character(s) from the previous game, but they get plenty of coverage in this story, and everything is fairly self-contained.

My thoughts exactly. The links are mostly minimal.

I've also heard the buzz for 999, but I doubt I could go back to it at this point. Is it required to understand the story of the new one?

Yes. The final acts and certain twists would be meaningless without 999 knowledge. I don't consider this debatable at all and I'm surprised there are people that do.

cj_iwakura

I still tear up a little whenever Morphogenetic Sorrow plays. The usage of it in 999 was just... wow.

I'm on the final path now.

Yikes.

I would say skipping 999 would be very detrimental to your enjoyment of VLR. As I mentioned before, it would be like starting a series of books at vol. 2. Story is the reason to be playing these games, and I think it's important to start at the beginning.

Of course the game is still great as a singular experience, but a lot of the plot reveals would have little to no impact without having played 999. (Plus, it would absolutely ruin the ending of 999, which must be experienced unspoiled.)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say yes as well, Zero Escape is now a continuous story and not playing 999 first would be like starting with the 2nd book in a trilogy, except with the added caveat that reading that 2nd book completely destroys any value the first book had because it spoils the twist/ending.

Javier

Not even halfway through VLR they start dropping spoilers for 999, and pretty big ones at that.

One particular scene in VLR goes from "HOLY SHIT THIS IS HUGE!" to "Eh, whatever" whether you've played 999 or not.

Not even halfway through VLR they start dropping spoilers for 999, and pretty big ones at that.

One particular scene in VLR goes from "HOLY SHIT THIS IS HUGE!" to "Eh, whatever" whether you've played 999 or not.

which one? I never played 999 and probably wont (3ds)

Midou

Yes. The final acts and certain twists would be meaningless without 999 knowledge. I don't consider this debatable at all and I'm surprised there are people that do.

Yes, I find this quite baffling as well. Many references as well as significant story revelations involve the events and characters of 999.

cj_iwakura

I know exactly what you're reacting to with that reaction lol

Yeah, that. Still kind of a let down that

there was no epic final puzzle like 999's sudoku. It really relied on the story to make the ending hit, instead of gameplay... not that it didn't work.

LiK

Yes, I find this quite baffling as well. Many references as well as significant story revelations involve the events and characters of 999.

yea, it shows that people who say 999 isn't required are fucking over people who are interested in this series. no offense to people who said that but you're totally ruining people's experience with VLR by telling them to skip 999.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It also isn't just VLR, they're clearly interested in doing more and the third game may even have a larger tie in to 999. Going backwards would not be nearly as impactful.

Ok.....I give up! I made it to the
Q Room
and I’m completely stumped.

I have absolutely no clue how to pick
the right squares from the cube.

Got my first game over and my mind is already being blown.

I like that the time telepathy is already kicking in after going both ways on a branching path. Love the story telling.

They really nailed Allice's boob physics.

Dantis

I would say skipping 999 would be very detrimental to your enjoyment of VLR. As I mentioned before, it would be like starting a series of books at vol. 2. Story is the reason to be playing these games, and I think it's important to start at the beginning.

Of course the game is still great as a singular experience, but a lot of the plot reveals would have little to no impact without having played 999. (Plus, it would absolutely ruin the ending of 999, which must be experienced unspoiled.)

Once again, disagree. I guessed the big 999 reveals (And I've read other people did also), not only are they pretty insignificant in the scheme of things, they're really not as shocking as some people are saying.

Oh my god.

Told you it would still surprise you.

Once again, disagree. I guessed the big 999 reveals (And I've read other people did also), not only are they pretty insignificant in the scheme of things, they're really not as shocking as some people are saying.

Maybe for you. I think anyone that really enjoyed 999 would have their mind blown by reveals like (late game spoilers)
Tenmyouji being Junpei or Akane's prescense in the whole scheme of things.
Without knowledge of 999, that stuff would warrant no reaction at all, or even worse, confusion.

Dantis

Maybe for you. I think anyone that really enjoyed 999 would have their mind blown by reveals like (late game spoilers)
Tenmyouji being Junpei or Akane's prescense in the whole scheme of things.
Without knowledge of 999, that stuff would warrant no reaction at all, or even worse, confusion.

I absolutely really enjoyed 999. I've posted about it many times.

And I guessed both of those things. Even without them, the ending is still filled with much more impressive non-999 twists.

You never played 999?

But you still enjoyed VLR, right?

I enjoyed the shit out of VLR. I read a lot of 999 so I would be caught up since I knew the likelihood of not playing 999 would be pretty high.

edit

I figured
Tenmyouji was junpei off of the bat. Didn't help that I saw his pose and was like "heyyyyyyyyyy". Then the whole Akane picture thing as well. The old lady being Akane was obvious as well due to the last name.

I absolutely really enjoyed 999. I've posted about it many times.

And I guessed both of those things. Even without them, the ending is still filled with much more impressive non-999 twists.

Akane's
significance would be lost on people who didn't play 999, and she's really damn vital to the whole story. Same with stuff like
morphogenetic fields/espers, Alice's presence, any mention of other nonary games (this is importance once you find out Hongou is a Free the Soul member)
and probably more stuff I can't remember right now.

Yes, you can enjoy the game without 999 knowledge, but it is doing a MAJOR disservice to yourself and the game if you were to skip it. This is a direct sequel even if it does have a mostly different cast.

Dantis

I enjoyed the shit out of VLR. I read a lot of 999 so I would be caught up since I knew the likelihood of not playing 999 would be pretty high.

edit

I figured
Tenmyouji was junpei off of the bat. Didn't help that I saw his pose and was like "heyyyyyyyyyy". Then the whole Akane picture thing as well. The old lady being Akane was obvious as well due to the last name.

Exactly. It's not required playing.

The big regret I have about not playing 999 is not knowing how characters previously acedt before the 2nd nonary game and during the 2nd nonary game. I love how characters evolve over time in a story and I regret missing that in 999. Also I miss out on old cast that did not make a return in VLR.

Most of the things were obvious minus
Hou being a part of Free the souls and the whole esper thing esp with how Phi reacted to the whole "YOU BETRAYED ME FIRST!"

Dantis

The big regret I have about not playing 999 is not knowing how characters previously acedt before the 2nd nonary game and during the 2nd nonary game. I love how characters evolve over time in a story and I regret missing that in 999. Also I miss out on old cast that did not make a return in VLR.

Most of the things were obvious minus
Hou being a part of Free the souls and the whole esper thing esp with how Phi reacted to the whole "YOU BETRAYED ME FIRST!"

To your first paragraph:
completely differently, and that's why their reveals are irrelevant. The characters we see in VLR (Minus Clover) are essentially different characters with the same names. Even if I hadn't guessed it, I feel like it would have been a "Huh. Neat." moment, rather than a mind-blowing one.

To your second paragraph, 999 doesn't really set that up. It was kinda weird when it happened in VLR even if you've played 999.

To your first paragraph:
completely differently, and that's why their reveals are irrelevant. The characters we see in VLR (Minus Clover) are essentially different characters with the same names. Even if I hadn't guessed it, I feel like it would have been a "Huh. Neat." moment, rather than a mind-blowing one.

To your second paragraph, 999 doesn't really set that up. It was kinda weird when it happened in VLR even if you've played 999.

Figured.

I felt the same way on certain characters. For me the best characters overall were Phi, Luna, and K. Sigma is on the fence. Dio gave off the typical "don't trust this guy" vibe.

Then again I read a lot of 999. The only thing I haven't done is played it or watched a playthrough.

LiK

Figured.

I felt the same way on certain characters. For me the best characters overall were Phi, Luna, and K. Sigma is on the fence. Dio gave off the typical "don't trust this guy" vibe.

Then again I read a lot of 999. The only thing I haven't done is played it or watched a playthrough.

reading about 999 is different than actually playing through it. you already spoiled yourself so there's no point in playing it, imo. the surprises and twists from not knowing what 999 was really about was one of the reasons why it was so great. 999 is an amazing experience on its own and even if people like Dantis doesn't think it adds anything to VLR, it's still an amazing experience.

Dantis

reading about 999 is different than actually playing through it. you already spoiled yourself so there's no point in playing it, imo. the surprises and twists from not knowing what 999 was really about was one of the reasons why it was so great. 999 is an amazing experience on its own and even if people like Dantis doesn't think it adds anything to VLR, it's still an amazing experience.

I'll agree with this wholeheartedly. It's probably my favourite DS game, even.

If you have the chance to play it, you should. But if you don't, you shouldn't miss out on VLR just because of that.

This is true but I had very few options. I'm not going to buy a ds, nor buy a 3ds (bfriday deals on a 3dsxl are awful). Its an unfortunate situation but it is what it is.

I'll definitely recommend people playing 999 before VLR just for spoilers sake. The game is basically a visual novel with 999 being the first chapter and VLR being the 2nd, so it would make little sense to start on chapter 2 if you have not read/played the first chapter (recommend play).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I am saddened that Quietus did not show up in VLR, considering how many other tracks from 999 were rehashed.

So I wrote all the numbers down on the cube and I still couldn’t figure it out. I got a few of them right by guessing but I just got impatient and looked up a guide for it. I just didn’t understand what the game wanted me to do.

I did everything else in the room all by myself except for the
AB Game Q version.
Anyway, the
Q Room
is all done. The ending will have to wait for another day. I’m going out now. I will prepare my brain...it better be blown!

Top Bottom