• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

I know!
I never understood that either! ;_;

I always avoided
mindsweeper
my whole life!!! Now I had to learn!
Another hint can be:
If a square holds a 0, NO squares next to him are "lit". Try and eliminate every 0 you see (around the other numbers), this will help you!

Regarding the whole play 999 I agree with both sides.
Yes, certain plot twist have a much deeper impact on you if you played the game, BUT it's not necessary for the whole comprehension of the plot and overall enjoy.
But, mark my words, if you play VLR without playing 999, YOU'LL REGRET IT, because you realize how beautiful is VLR and you'll want to play 999, but most of it is ruined by the spoilers in this game.

Omikaru

If it's any consolation, I had to learn how to play
Minesweeper
for this game too. It didn't take me long.

Also, I still maintain that 999 isn't mandatory, but highly recommended. I think the game is perfectly enjoyable without it, but the impact of some twists will be lessened. Plus 999 is worth it as a game in its own right; it's incredible.

-GJ-

I'm playing the 3DS demo now. Is there a way to set the text from automatic to stop without having to put it on skip first?

LProtag

I'm still waiting for my Vita to come in to play my copy that's just sitting here...

Anything I should refresh myself on from 999? I read through the wikipedia plot summary to jog my memory, is that good enough?

Edit: Also, is it safe to watch the OVA without any spoilers? I assumed so, because it seems promotional, but I just want to make sure.

Volcynika

I'm still waiting for my Vita to come in to play my copy that's just sitting here...

Anything I should refresh myself on from 999? I read through the wikipedia plot summary to jog my memory, is that good enough?

Edit: Also, is it safe to watch the OVA without any spoilers? I assumed so, because it seems promotional, but I just want to make sure.

The OVA is just basically the condensed intro of the game.

Does anyone know if the UK release date is different from the rest of Europe? Amazon.co.uk will start selling it November 23, but it's still not available for pre-order anywhere in Sweden.

Lusankya

Plus 999 is worth it as a game in its own right; it's incredible.

Yes, and VLR will spoil quite some things from 999, so you should really play it first.

I'm playing the 3DS demo now. Is there a way to set the text from automatic to stop without having to put it on skip first?
No, but skip will only work on already known text anyway. ;)

Does anyone know if the UK release date is different from the rest of Europe? Amazon.co.uk will start selling it November 23, but it's still not available for pre-order anywhere in Sweden.

There are at least two different release dates.
23 November for UK, France and some others and 25 January for Germany, Italy and some others.
Of course you can always import the UK version or buy it from the British eShop.

cj_iwakura

I actually really liked Quark's voice. The only voice that felt kind of off was (true end spoilers)
Young June's. She seemed so... severe.

Might've been intentional though. Phi's was amazing, Tenmyouji's too.
That delivery on his final line in the true end... chills.
Maybe she never was.

PKrockin

Crap. I feel so bad picking betray, but now I have to to clear the remaining paths in the flowchart...

I'm sorry Luna :(

i'm such an IG

Really? Can't say as I noticed a lot of physics at work.

Half-joking. On a related note I didn't think I'd like the change of style, but the characters look really good when they're moving. It's when there's a zoomed-out view (like when in the warehouse) that things don't look so good, at least on the 3DS.

Astra

Son of a- My game crashed near the end. I just finished solving the puzzles in
the Q room
and the game just closed, saying an error occured and prompted me to send the error to Sony. Now I have to do all that over again, ugh. At least I know all the puzzle solutions now. Now I'll be saving much more often.

Vibed

Regarding end game puzzles across 999 and VLR:
Sudoku, Minesweeper, I wonder what classic puzzle will be the final puzzle for the third game?

soultron

Banned
Picked this up last night and am nearly 2 hours into it. HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT IS GREAT.

It's all I'm thinking about. I have to work but all I want to do is play this game. Wow. The writing (and more importantly, the localization) is fucking fantastic.

Dantis

Picked this up last night and am nearly 2 hours into it. HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT IS GREAT.

It's all I'm thinking about. I have to work but all I want to do is play this game. Wow. The writing (and more importantly, the localization) is fucking fantastic.

Zero III is the highlight of the writing and acting for me. Best new character in a game this year, by far.

Necrovex

Zero III is the highlight of the writing and acting for me. Best new character in a game this year, by far.

Best voice-acted character of the year. The only problem with Zero III is not seeing him enough.

I love the translation in this game, I am really happy at the quality of localization nowadays. 8-4 and Aksys are the best!

Dantis

Best voice-acted character of the year. The only problem with Zero III is not seeing him enough.

(Ending spoilers)
I was really disappointed that he didn't show up at all in the true ending. They tied everything up except for him!

I actually always thought of Zero III as female. It's the valley girl thing.

I believe they refer to Zero III as 'him' in the actual game, don't they?

moozoom

I'm eagerly awaiting this game, as I loved 999... But I just noticed the game apparently won't come out in France (at least in the near future) from Rising star website:

In order to provide the best quality of distribution for Virtue's Last Reward the estimated release dates are as follows:
UK release - 23rd November 2012
Australia to follow shortly after UK release
Germany and Italy release - January 2013

France is not appearing in the planning, and a quick search in some popular French retailers upcoming games gave nothing. I guess it's because of the localization, and the fact most people won't buy games with English text here. After Pokemon Conquest, this is becoming a worrying trend... Sure, I'll import it from UK, but I can't even find the 3ds demo in the the french e-shop !

Lusankya

I'm eagerly awaiting this game, as I loved 999... But I just noticed the game apparently won't come out in France (at least in the near future) from Rising star website:

France is not appearing in the planning, and a quick search in some popular French retailers upcoming games gave nothing. I guess it's because of the localization, and the fact most people won't buy games with English text here. After Pokemon Conquest, this is becoming a worrying trend... Sure, I'll import it from UK, but I can't even find the 3ds demo in the the french e-shop !

Just change the region to UK and get the demo from there.

Kaizer

Banned

I know man, it captured my mind, body, and soul for 2 weeks of continuous play. I'm sorta sad I finished since I can't relieve the thrill of solving the puzzles and getting the endings over again. You have no clue what you're about to get into.

soultron

Banned
This is largely the same V/O cast who did Code of Princess in English, correct? I'm at work right now and can't check the manuals to see who's credited since they're at home.

But yeah, Zero III is my favourite villain of the year. The performance is great.

I just want to leave work, ride the subway, and play!!

moozoom

Just change the region to UK and get the demo from there.

I changed the language, but didn't think of the region... thanks, I'll try that. But I guess I'll buy the game on vita, I heard of several save problems on the 3DS version ( and the vita sorely needs another good game besides the incoming Persona 4 )

Jintor

tumblr_mdo12imHU11r5ubbqo1_1280.jpg

Gotta make my own fanart sometime. I made some 999 ones when I finished that, and I reckon I might've improved since then...

999's price has been rocketing up, and now is more expensive on Amazon UK than Virtue's Last Reward (which launches Friday over here), so I'll probably be waiting until the new year before I buy either.

Joe Molotov

(Ending spoilers)
I was really disappointed that he didn't show up at all in the true ending. They tied everything up except for him!

I thought there was going to be an explanation for why he had to leave after the first round and we just got Generic Female Announcer Voice after that, but they didn't even talk about him at all at the end other than to tell you that his real name was "Lagomorph". They should have at least explained why he was such a dick.

moozoom

Changing region to England instead of France to download the demo didn't work : I had a message when starting the e-store telling me the I had some money left in my account and changing region would clear the balance. So I'll skip the demo. I know I'll love the game anyway, and I just have to wait a little.

Necrovex

(Ending spoilers)

I believe they refer to Zero III as 'him' in the actual game, don't they?

Yeah, I wished Zero III had more of a role in the end-game instead of being tossed aside and only being referred in third-person.

Jintor

Jesus christ, the first thing you get when you search Virtue's Last Reward on DeviantART is fucking inflation art. For fuck's sake.

GSR

Yeah, I wished Zero III had more of a role in the end-game instead of being tossed aside and only being referred in third-person.

You can get
one last conversation with him in Luna's second game over, where he calls you out on betraying her.

I have a feeling that K is
Snake, for multiple reasons. There are a lot of similarities
. I don't want to know if I'm right or wrong, just wanted to post this here for the sake of it. I'm sure it's probably way off.

Top Bottom