• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

MAJOR SPOILER : AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
SIGMA IS ZERO SR!

kTFzN.gif

SO CALLED IT! I called that
he was old hence the reason his face was never shown too!

Venfayth

Lol I never get tired of reading peoples reactions in this thread. If my pipedream ever becomes reality I hope I can make games that are this evoking.

PKrockin

I just played this game all night for 9 hours straight until I got the true end

gCvXS.gif

HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT PHI CALLING ME GRANDPA?? AND DIO CALLING ME A SENILE OLD FUCK??

It's amusing to see the reactions to the True Ends play out every time. It's almost as if Zero pops out at the start of the True End route and says "Ladies and gentlemen, prepare yourself as I present to you: chaos theory!"

Disclaimer: reference to a recent Shock One track. If that actually happens in the game, then I'm a psychic.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm thinking of getting the Vita version right now....for someone out of the loop, is this like a really expanded version of the 'escape the room' internet puzzles with good anime scenes I guess? I'm pretty leary of a lot of anime besides select little stuff like Phoenix Wright, and I'm a huge adventure game nut so I'm worried the 'escape the room' thing might wear on me and feel kind of shallow compared to an adventure game. Am I misreading this game?

Jintor

If you like Phoenix Wright-style turnabouts you'll like this.

But.

Can I sell you on a copy of 999 for the Nintendo DS first? It will augment your experience in a bajillion ways.

I'm thinking of getting the Vita version right now....for someone out of the loop, is this like a really expanded version of the 'escape the room' internet puzzles with good anime scenes I guess? I'm pretty leary of a lot of anime besides select little stuff like Phoenix Wright, and I'm a huge adventure game nut so I'm worried the 'escape the room' thing might wear on me and feel kind of shallow compared to an adventure game. Am I misreading this game?

I'll just repost my response to John Harker, who mostly asked the same thing.

It's a visual novel with point-and-click adventure elements (or the other way around). Think Ace Attorney kind of, but with more scrolling through text and puzzles. The game's main drawing point is its story.

Also, DO NOT play this before playing the prequel, 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'll just repost my response to John Harker, who mostly asked the same thing.
Ah. Well 999 isn't really an option for me right now, I'm sure starting with this can't be a total waste, right?

Ah. Well 999 isn't really an option for me right now, I'm sure starting with this can't be a total waste, right?

I would REALLY recommend against it. Many impactful scenes wouldn't mean much without knowledge of 999.

That being said, if you absolutely can't see yourself playing 999 in the future at any point, then I guess you could play it and even get enjoyment out of it. I would just think it would be a shame to have only some of the pieces of the puzzle in a series like this with so many "HOLY SHIT" moments.

Jintor

Tablet died halfway through making this so I'll just post what I have so far!

tumblr_mdu3rlOthH1rnx5rho1_500.jpg

It's about 4 times as big at the size I'm working on it

Jintor

Yeah. After I finish these character shots I might finally do those... swimsuit pics... Sigma so desperately wants.

I mean, let's face it: you all want some VLR pin-ups, ammirite.

tsumineko

So I just saw the demo for this game on the Australian 3DS store, downloaded it without knowing anything about it, and was immediately sold. The store says its out tomorrow in Australia, but I can't find it on ebgames.com.au or JBhifi.com.au. Does anyone know where to buy this game in Australia?

Just another reason I'd love to see VLR as an anime. (although
Zero Sr.'s appearance would not be as crazy impactful. >.> Now I know what they mean when they said that the OVA was really inconsistent with the game's story. haha
)

Yeah. After I finish these character shots I might finally do those... swimsuit pics... Sigma so desperately wants.

I mean, let's face it: you all want some VLR pin-ups, ammirite.

Only if they're scratch off ones. ;)

Peff

Is the game supposed to start on Easy? I haven't touched the difficulty at all but the hidden password gave me a Silver File.

Is the game supposed to start on Easy? I haven't touched the difficulty at all but the hidden password gave me a Silver File.

That's strange. The default is Hard, at least for the 3DS version.

So I just saw the demo for this game on the Australian 3DS store, downloaded it without knowing anything about it, and was immediately sold. The store says its out tomorrow in Australia, but I can't find it on ebgames.com.au or JBhifi.com.au. Does anyone know where to buy this game in Australia?

No idea about its availability in Aus, but play 999 first.

xxczx

Played the demo and pre-ordered this straight away. Not played 999, £25 on Amazon... Tempting, I wanna get the full experience and not miss out on anything.

It'll work on my 3DS right? seeing as though it's an import.

Why would they release this in UK and not 999? :/

Peff

This is literally the first thing I see when I first take control:

pPNJ1.jpg

That's easy, right? I don't think it's even possible to change it before this :-/ I guess it's an exclusive feature for the european version, lulz.

GSR

Yeah, that's set to Easy. That's weird. Once you finish the room, try redoing it on the flowchart and see if it'll let you do Hard then.

If you can't set it to Hard then that's actually kind of a big deal, there's a special ending you can only unlock if you do all the puzzle rooms on Hard.

also

Banned
Rising Star Games are giving away VLR t-shirts on Facebook (click). Just comment on who you would ally with to have a chance to win. This won't be the only giveaway, so keep checking their page or Twitter (click).

The official RSG site says that VLR will launch in AUS shortly after its release in the UK (november 23). The eShop date is either a mistake or you will be able to buy it digitally tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

Played the demo and pre-ordered this straight away. Not played 999, £25 on Amazon... Tempting, I wanna get the full experience and not miss out on anything.
All NDS (expect most of the few DSi enhanced) games are region free, so 999 will work on your 3DS.

Play-Asia has 999 for 29,99$ ~£19.
It's a great game so you should get it if you can.

Peff

From Hard to Easy yes, anytime, but not backwards while inside a Escape room, apparently. The problem is that the game seems to default to Easy at first, but luckily it fixes itself after the first room. It might not even happen to the 3DS version at all.

also

Banned
From Hard to Easy yes, anytime, but not backwards while inside a Escape room, apparently. The problem is that the game seems to default to Easy at first, but luckily it fixes itself after the first room. It might not even happen to the 3DS version at all.

Ah, OK. No big deal if I will have to redo a room.

While we are on the subject of difficulty, should I start on hard or easy? I want to figure out the puzzles on my own, but Akselziys said that some (funny) dialogue won't be present on hard mode since your teammates will keep to themselves.

Madn

Just played the demo version on the 3DS and the game looks absolutely amazing! Can't wait to buy it. I found the puzzle much better than the 999 ones. Hope the story's on par

Yeah, 3DS is region free for DS games. Get it!

Jintor

Uchikoshi is actually replying to every tweet sent his way on twitter! I sent him one straight after I finished VLR two weeks ago and he responded just now!

打越鋼太郎 ‏@uchikoshi
@[Jintor] Thank you for the message! If much more users play VLR and feel amazing, it will reduce waiting time. Would you ally? :)

(generic message, but still)

Also, some stuff for the spoiler thread

tsumineko

Mistle

My copy from ozgameshop got shipped today :D Great prices for aussies, they're UK stock, but sadly their shipping is usually 2-3 weeks so I still have a bit to wait :( but it's alright as I still want to finish Tales of the Abyss before playing VLR, and if I get to it, I should be able to finish it before VLR arrives.

And then of course there's the Wii U release in a week, so I'm sure the wait wont be too hard :p

Correct. All escape rooms start off on Hard, and then you can set it to Easy if you're stuck. But once it's set to Easy, you can't go back to Hard. (The game warns you of this before swapping, so you can't really accidentally swap to Easy.) But I don't remember the first room being set to Easy. I got the Gold file on my first run through it and didn't need to change the difficulty at all.

One thing you can do, although it is risky because the game-save wipe glitch may still be in the game, is play through the room on hard until you get stuck, save, then swap to easy. After solving the room, just reload your previous save and finish the room on Hard. (Again, this is risky for the 3DS version, because some escape rooms can glitch while saving in them, causing your save data to become corrupted. It's unclear if the glitch is totally gone from the EU version or not.)

Ah, OK. No big deal if I will have to redo a room.

While we are on the subject of difficulty, should I start on hard or easy? I want to figure out the puzzles on my own, but Akselziys said that some (funny) dialogue won't be present on hard mode since your teammates will keep to themselves.

Don't worry, there's still a TON of hilarious dialogue when playing through on Hard. Some of the best lines are actually there. (Kinda makes me wish the escape sequences were Voice Acted too...) I haven't gone back to do all the rooms on Easy yet, but I'm sure there's not too much to be missed going the first time around on Hard. Just a little bit of "Why are you so dumb?!? The answer is obvious!" type dialogue, I'm sure. haha :)

Top Bottom