• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

I am playing the game without 999 and really enjoying it so far. The writing is great and the VA is awesome, but man, the aesthetics are just wrong. Every character looks utterly out of place, except Sigma and the old fart and Phi. Alice is completely embarrassing. I could never even imagine where she got what she has on. Maybe a jewelry store or like Home Depot.

I froze up at the first AB game. I really did not know what to do. I just listened to Phi. I feel like I made a mistake. :(

I've taken both intro to quantum mechanics and game theory so all the hints and "setpieces" are working really for me.

Broken record at this point, but you probably shouldn't unless you don't have the means to play it and won't for a very long time if ever.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I can't help but feel a little let down by how much repetition the story branches is forcing me through, which is strange considering the availability of the flow chart from the get go. I think the fact that map and door-opening scenes are unskippable contribute to that, at least partially... they certainly grow duller after the second story branch.

Other repeated environments that quickly become uninteresting to look at due to their frequency are the polling elevators (AB Rooms) and warehouses. I don't feel like I ran into this problem with 999, even though it was somewhat similar structurally.

I wonder if the number of good/bad endings is responsible for this, and whether streamlining the story structure into three longer main beaches and 6 endings would have been a better approach than the current story tree of shorter but numerous branches. I just wish I'd stop wanting to skip more than what game allows.

(This criticism has no bearing on what I think of the story, setting, and new hook, btw)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Oh yeah, add that to the list of environments.

One other thing I wish was added was a slightly more detailed flow chart that helps me in keeping up with what was uncovered in a certain story path. Something like the description of locks would suffice. I keep forgetting who ran with me in what room, what happened to which character at what point, etc etc.

Mistle

So I literally just started, and am trying to avoid this thread, but I already have a question lol.

The safes. It said there are two codes I can use, one of them a hidden code. I just escaped the elevator without finding it. Could have I potentially found a hidden code within that escape segment? And for all future escape segments, there is a hidden code?

Just curious, as I want to find them all before escaping if so. Does it generally require some out-of-the-box puzzle solving?

Jintor

Yes and yes.

The first code for the ambidex room is kind of annoying to get imho but I figured it out after a while. They're all, like... additional solutions basically. Most of them besides the infirmary are about equal in difficulty to the actual solution so it's not too bad.

Mistle

Ah yeah, that doesn't sound too bad then. Hopefully allows for some creative thinking, with a decent reward.
Can you ever go back to rooms and find codes you missed? I know if I keep playing I'll probably find out sooner or later but I might as well ask anyway ^^'

RedSwirl

It's hard to say how much you spoiled yourself... Could you put under spoiler tags what you saw?

Know that I've still only played the far left story path to
the "To Be Continued" screen. The only gold file I got was in the surveillance room by revealing the "She Knows Everything" message.

Them main three:

1) A shot of Sigma with an eyepatch looking at his hands which are somehow the hands of those Terminator-looking dudes. I got the idea that at least one member of the party could very well be one of those guys, but that's all Iv'e been able to guess so far.

2) An in-game shot of Dio, Phi, Clover, Alice, Luna, and Tenjyouji all slaughtered in one room.

3) A shot of the old woman alive.

tumblr_mfnfq1EdpU1qhhv13o2_1280.jpg

I was one of the first people to post here, and yet only now will I actually be able to join you guys.

Sadly, I had some things accidentally spoiled (who's Zero and some things about Tenmyoji and Luna), so most of the time, rather than speculating I'll be trying to find the hints for those. Still, I can't wait to play anymore, so with that said I'll now be playing all day see you guys later.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Working my way through the branches left to right. Just hit a potential crazy Clover moment before getting the To Be Continued screen. Hopes are high for a 999-esque crazy Clover payoff. :D

Know that I've still only played the far left story path to
the "To Be Continued" screen. The only gold file I got was in the surveillance room by revealing the "She Knows Everything" message.

Them main three:

1) A shot of Sigma with an eyepatch looking at his hands which are somehow the hands of those Terminator-looking dudes. I got the idea that at least one member of the party could very well be one of those guys, but that's all Iv'e been able to guess so far.

2) An in-game shot of Dio, Phi, Clover, Alice, Luna, and Tenjyouji all slaughtered in one room.

3) A shot of the old woman alive.

Ouch for the first one!
The others aren't that terrible, though.
I'm glad you didn't find the context of the first pic!

Mistle

Just got introduced to the characters and the mechanics of the doors/watch.

Early days yet obviously, but so far I much preferred the intro of 999. I was so intrigued by the characters and location right from the get go with 999. VLR just didn't give me the same feeling. The characters were kind of brushed over, it could have used some more internal observations from Sigma (like Junpei would). And so far the warehouse doesn't seem as good a location as the boat, though it doesn't help I'm missing the 2D background art style.
999 was so cool, with the revelation of the bombs, and then the 9th man going crazy with a knife and getting blown up, etc. VLR seems really mellow in comparison, so far! A peaceful injection isn't as horrifying :p
But I'm not dumb, I'm still at the very, very start of the game so there's so much time for it to get great. I'm not at all judging the quality of the game from the first hour. Excited to play more and find out how it evolves! :D

Noticed quite a few typos too already D: lol

PAL copy, so there's no English voices. How were they? I don't mind Japanese voices and may even prefer them, but only if the English voices weren't so great.

I find the English voices great so far, SPECIALLY Zero III. Mostly Zero III. God, Zero III is perfect :I

Anyways, just got done with the Infirmary. Jesus, I don't think I would've figured out how to get the gold file by myself without help ._o

Omikaru

Such a shame they didn't come to PAL then. So weird that they didn't :S

Ah well, it won't impact my enjoyment of the game, but it still would have been cool!

The translation is identical on both versions (when they didn't take the English voices, I was worried RSG may do their own translation, and it'd suck), so you still get to enjoy that. That's the most important part, in my view. And it's very well-written, so I assume the translation is authentic and accurate and all that. But the dub is the best one I've heard in a game or anime in years. Such a disappointment that RSG skimped out on it.

Quark: "How could you do that, Mr. Dio?! You're a jerk!"

...I have the feeling this is a sentiment I will feel all throughout the game won't I?

Sad-tistic.

Did it crash, or eat your save?

I had the former happened which was weird and disconcerting (and happened again in the final puzzle room), but the latter sounds soul-crushing.

Thankfully it only crashed. Honestly, I wanted to get out of there as soon as I could so I just used a guide for the last puzzle :/

...I think I probably would've though since I'm not sure I got how it worked.

hao chi

I also just froze in the PEC room a little while ago when I was trying to leave the pressurization chamber.

Loving the game so far though. The ally or betray system is brilliant. Love how tense it is and the emotions after everyone checks the results.

...and shit finally hit the fan.

Alice turned up dead right after she and K allied with Quark and now Clover is giving me Axe ending flashbacks. Clover's sure that all of the 6 conspired to kill her (because that logic worked so well in the previous game...), but considering what happened with Quark, I'm going to go with Alice getting Radical-6 and actually succeeding in suicide unlike Quark.

Ugh, I want to keep going down that route but I can't anymore damn it >___<

Edit:
Went back to choose the opposite thing I did in my last post and&#8230;
CLOVER WHAT THE FUCK
YOU BITCH
YOU&#8217;RE MAKING ME COMPLETELY AGREE WITH DIO
THAT&#8217;S HOW MUCH OF A BITCH YOU&#8217;RE BEING

hao chi

The instructions for the jellyfish puzzle are pure gold.
"If you move one of the yellow jellyfish to the hole instead, you are a failure and we are very disappointed in you."

Not being able to finish the game if you don't isn't enough incentive?

Anyways
*Tenmyouji uses the photo he’s always carrying around on the face recognition machine and it works*
*Sigma checks the photo*
*The photo is Akane/June*
*Tenmyouji mentions that he’s been chasing after her for a really long time*
*Quark says that it’s his first love and that he never parts with it and even talks to it when he thinks he’s alone*
*Tenmyouji suspiciously denies it*

...If I hadn't been accidentally spoiled shortly after the game came out, this would have been such a huge "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" moment...well it still was a "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" moment anyways but you know what I mean.

Rezek

Neo Member
Okay, so I've been working my way from left to right, and I've just finished the
Tenmyouji
bad end.

Holy shit this game is nuts. I'm getting mindblown by my own speculation! :O I should probably calm down so I don't end up disappointed by the reveals.

Also glad I knew about that glitch beforehand. Only got one crash and no corruption.

Never look at artbooks for games before you play them!

Indeed. I've been scared to even post on this thread for fear of any potential spoilers. I mean, based on my past experiences with Kotaro Uchikoshi's work I pretty much have a clue where everything is going.

...and yet I'm trying my damn best to avoid searching for anything Zero Escape related atm.

Top Bottom