• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

For the sake navigating my way through the Flowchart efficiently, can someone explain some of the icons? Specifically the closed book (black icon) and open book (green icon) with question marks.

Closed book (black): Lock! You can't get past this lock!
Open book (green): Open Lock! The road is open. Go to this lock and you can get past it!

Black icons become green icons when you have the needed information!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Even the titles of entries are sometimes spoilerific. I'm glad I stopped reading them early on, but it still wasn't early enough.

Drakken

Well, got the
Sigma
end and now have gone as far as I can down each path once. Just realized all the locks are green, so it's time to revisit them! Getting close to the end now; this is pretty exciting. :D

Though I'm enjoying it, there are a couple problems I have with the game. One, I feel like there's been too much repetition of the same stuff before actually getting to the more meaningful one-on-one interactions and plot revelations. The whole
time travel / multiple paths
thing is a tough concept to execute properly (and I like a lot of what they did), but honestly, I think I've had to sit through
"Come quick! Something's happened to Quark!" like 20 times now
(exaggerating, but that's how it feels).

Also, the map. I'm sure this has been said a million times, but watching a dot moving around a map / doors slowly opening is really not that interesting. At first it's OK cause you're just getting a feel of the facility's layout, but 100 times later, it gets reeeeeally old. I'm half expecting it to figure into the ending in some crazy, major way, as that's really the only way to justify all the time spent on it.

Otherwise, like I said, I'm enjoying the game, and am way more into it now that I'm approaching the end and getting to the more meaty developments. I remember liking 999 more, but I'm sure a large part of that is because it was such a new and fresh experience at the time. With VLR I kind of knew what I was in for, gameplay and tone-wise, though they did a good job in changing certain things up.

Jintor

tumblr_mfe5dvdSnp1r45to9o1_500.jpg

IrishNinja

silly question, but..once you've picked a language option at start, you're kind've stuck with it for the whole game then? i went with japanese but now i'm wondering if the dub holds up.

Ice Mage

Neo Member
Playing 999 before ordering VLR, in how much time will I completed the game (seeing all the endings including the True Ending ?)

Took me 16 hours when I replayed it recently, but it probably took me a little longer the first time around due to not knowing the puzzles and accidentally getting the same ending twice in a row.

Playing 999 before ordering VLR, in how much time will I completed the game (seeing all the endings including the True Ending ?)
I started 999 Tuesday evening and had completed the game (all endings) by Friday. I imagine it took me somewhere around 12 hours. The true ending playthrough alone took 4 hours.

Quick question I'm hoping someone can answer without any spoilers. I'm on my first playthrough and I seem to be on the far left path going by the flowchart, I've just reached a computer and seen some flashback relating to that graffiti - am I actually meant to know the login and password (as the main character seems to suggest I should) or have I got to finish some other route first?

I'm going to be quite annoyed if after 8 hours I'm just going to be blocked and told that I should go and do some other route instead - particular since this one seemed to be the one shoved in your face the most.

NEO0MJ

You'll have the find the username and password on another route. Just go to the flowchart and choose another branch. After you find the username and password go to the same square with the password and input it. It's not like you have to replay anything, and you can fast-forward any cut-scene you already saw. The game stops the fast-forward automatically if you haven't seen a cut-scene.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I wonder what everyone thought about Zero Jr plugging stuff like "forever alone" and "you mad."

I wouldn't have minded them had they not been forced. Something about the localization team thinking "lets add these memes in, players will rofl!" just irks me lol.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I wonder what everyone thought about Zero Jr plugging stuff like "forever alone" and "you mad."

I wouldn't have minded them had they not been forced. Something about the localization team thinking "lets add these memes in, players will rofl!" just irks me lol.
Zero Jr irks me in general. I know it's technically a good acting performance by whatever lady that did it, but I cringe so often when it has dialogue.

"You mad?" seemed rather natural to me, as the phrase existed before the internet (thanks, Point Break!) and it fit with Zero III's jerk personality.

so1337

Agreed. I regret assuming the dub was awful and wasting a couple of hours playing with JP VO.
But the Japanese VO is excellent! I understand why you'd want to play the game with the English dub, though.
I was really disappointed that Zero Jr. doesn't talk much once you get a little deeper into the flowcharts, it was hilarious in the beginning.
You and me both, man. You and me both.

Jintor

Zero Jr irks me in general. I know it's technically a good acting performance by whatever lady that did it, but I cringe so often when it has dialogue.

valley girl voice alone makes that character

have a nice trap!

So those who played the Japanese version, I understand it's intended that all characters are speaking English in-game, right?

Probably going to do a JP language runthrough maybe before the third game comes out. Maybe I'll start a Hiimdaisy for 999, too...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My first impressions after about 8 hours and a couple endings is that it seems a lot more repetitive/circular than 999 so far. I like the concept of voting, but it feels like I'm always in that one chamber most of the game because of it. Maybe I miss the different atmosphere of the ship from the last game. The characters haven't charmed the hell out of me like they did in the 999 either, but there's a long way to go I bet.

I think I finished the game. I have all of the gold files as far as I know. But just in case...

I got to the ending where you play as Kyle Klim and you go around talking to everyone and then it ends with Akane telling you about how you can change time and the world to your liking. I also got the ending with young Akane talking to you. I can't remember which pops up first. Anyways, after both of those endings, I was tired and went to bed. I could've sworn there was another node that pops up on the flow chart, but nothing was there today. Is that it? No additional ending credits or anything?

also

Banned
I think I finished the game. I have all of the gold files as far as I know. But just in case...

I got to the ending where you play as Kyle Klim and you go around talking to everyone and then it ends with Akane telling you about how you can change time and the world to your liking. I also got the ending with young Akane talking to you. I can't remember which pops up first. Anyways, after both of those endings, I was tired and went to bed. I could've sworn there was another node that pops up on the flow chart, but nothing was there today. Is that it? No additional ending credits or anything?
You got everything.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ugh, in the puzzle room I'm in I've acquired the Gold File but can't find the Escape Password.
LLShC.gif
Trying not to cheat, especially so early, but I seem to have all the information in front of me, I'm just unable to put in the right number code to get the Escape password.

thetechkid

SKHzS.gif

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Got this for Christmas this morning, I know nothing about it other than that its a sequel to 999 and its apparently good. Hoping I like it as much as the first.

hao chi

Just got this game for 3DS today, and was wondering if they ever fixed the corrupt save glitch. And if they didn't, which rooms am I not supposed to save in? I read the PEC room is the main one, but some other rooms are also supposedly glitched.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Got this for Christmas this morning, I know nothing about it other than that its a sequel to 999 and its apparently good. Hoping I like it as much as the first.

When you finish a branch, use the Flowchart in game to jump to whatever branch point you want to try next!

Just got this game for 3DS today, and was wondering if they ever fixed the corrupt save glitch. And if they didn't, which rooms am I not supposed to save in? I read the PEC room is the main one, but some other rooms are also supposedly glitched.

If you can help it, just don't save during escape sections, but it's generally not a MAJOR problem outside of the PEC room, which you should not save in under any circumstances.

Rezek

Neo Member
I just got this for Christmas. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's less tense than 999 in a way though.

Turning your lungs off while sleeping is a bit less messed up than getting blown the fuck up. :eek:

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am playing the game without 999 and really enjoying it so far. The writing is great and the VA is awesome, but man, the aesthetics are just wrong. Every character looks utterly out of place, except Sigma and the old fart and Phi. Alice is completely embarrassing. I could never even imagine where she got what she has on. Maybe a jewelry store or like Home Depot.

I froze up at the first AB game. I really did not know what to do. I just listened to Phi. I feel like I made a mistake. :(

I've taken both intro to quantum mechanics and game theory so all the hints and "setpieces" are working really for me.

Top Bottom