• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Kenai

Urgh...I read about all the potential lockups in some of the puzzle rooms. I thought I was doing pretty good, got through a buncha them on my own, was proud of myself. Then later in my storyline
Luna starts walking around after she "died" and the music started making think of Terminator or something
so for a few brief moments the game actually kind of terrified me with that thought.

Then I got to the
computer password thing
puzzle and I apparently wasn't supposed to "know" what to do yet since it was my first time through, but since I was verrrrry fearful of lockups I looked it up...so the
Luna true ending
was my first ending. The whole time I was just like O_0 wut

Jintor

Urgh...I read about all the potential lockups in some of the puzzle rooms. I thought I was doing pretty good, got through a buncha them on my own, was proud of myself. Then later in my storyline
Luna starts walking around after she "died" and the music started making think of Terminator or something
so for a few brief moments the game actually kind of terrified me with that thought.

Then I got to the
computer password thing
puzzle and I apparently wasn't supposed to "know" what to do yet since it was my first time through, but since I was verrrrry fearful of lockups I looked it up...so the
Luna true ending
was my first ending. The whole time I was just like O_0 wut

picard-facepalm.jpg

Why do people do this? Are they that afraid of backing out of the screen? Even with the new flowchart option? Christ.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Oh, oh. This game. So evil.

I love the Flowchart option too. I just hope someone as indecisive as myself can use it efficiently instead jumping too many times and waste time.

Oh, oh. This game. So evil.

I love the Flowchart option too. I just hope someone as indecisive as myself can use it efficiently instead jumping too many times and waste time.

If you make a decision, go with it even if you see it isn't as good as you initially thought! It's pretty rewarding... :)

Hahaha, I'd feel bad if I allied with someone (particularly Luna), and then had to betray them for the sake of seeing another side of the story.

NEO0MJ

Betraying Luna is the second-most heartbreaking thing in the entire game.

Anyone who has beaten the game knows what #1 is :s

Something worse than being a jerk to Luna? I can hardly imagine that. But hey, this is the Zero Escape series, it always gets worse.

Especially considering that Luna is the only party member that never betrays anyone, at least up to the point that I'm in. She's the only constant ally regardless of your decision in the future or the partners she's with.

Just got
Tenmyoji's
ending, which has to be the least mind-blowing thing ever. I mean, it's nice back story, but it doesn't add much.

Kenai

Why do people do this? Are they that afraid of backing out of the screen? Even with the new flowchart option? Christ.

Tbh, I didn't understand how the flowchart worked until after I got done with the ending. I had this game on serious blackout and only noticed the lockup thread on the gaming side since it caught my eye. I knew about fastforwarding through text from 9/9/9, but yea, I probably wouldn't have cared if I had known all that. Ironically, that would have made it end on a similar note to my first 9/9/9 ending where
I got To be continued at the coffin. This just gave me the "option" to go past when I shouldn't have actually been able to yet
. It's quite a rare thing, I can't remember the last time I saw that in a game. Threw me off quite a bit obviously.

the mark

Does it make sense to play the game without knowing 999?
I know I SHOULD play it before...but I won't in the near future (I'm not too interested in playing DS at the moment).
I'm tempted to buy it for my vita.

So...should I give it a go or is it absolutely mandatory to play the predecessor?
Thanks in advance

I know I SHOULD play it before...but I won't in the near future (I'm not too interested in playing DS at the moment).

So...should I give it a go or is it absolutely mandatory to play the predecessor?
Thanks in advance

Yes. Some of the later plot developments won't make a lick of sense unless you've beaten the true ending of the first game.

the mark

Yes. Some of the later plot developments won't make a lick of sense unless you've beaten the true ending of the first game.

Hm...
Thanks for your feedback.
I'm not sure what to do now. Maybe looking for 999.
I was 1 click away from buying on PSN-store ;(

Edit: Oh, I see my question answered in the OP...thanks anyway.

Jintor

Tbh, I didn't understand how the flowchart worked until after I got done with the ending. I had this game on serious blackout and only noticed the lockup thread on the gaming side since it caught my eye. I knew about fastforwarding through text from 9/9/9, but yea, I probably wouldn't have cared if I had known all that. Ironically, that would have made it end on a similar note to my first 9/9/9 ending where
I got To be continued at the coffin. This just gave me the "option" to go past when I shouldn't have actually been able to yet
. It's quite a rare thing, I can't remember the last time I saw that in a game. Threw me off quite a bit obviously.

You were literally a button press from just rebooting to the flowchart and it telling you 'well, here we go'...

mxgt

Banned

Thanks in advance

It does spoil 999 but my friend played it at the same time I did without playing 999 and it still blew his mind

Gigglepoo

That's so awesome! I'm just sad they didn't mention 999 AT ALL. You'd think the game being the second in a plot-heavy series would warrant a mention of it's predecessor... Oh well, I'm just glad VLR got the title from Gamespot.

(I'm still confused how Kid Icarus went under the radar though.)

I've never played 999. It's a darn shame, too, but I can't change the past. I will play through 999 (and VLR again) before Zero Escape 3 comes out.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Random question: what year did 999 take place? I don't remember them explicitly stating it like they did here.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I reached my first dead end and decided to jump for the first time.
Sigma seems to have a recollection of my first route, other characters seem surprised except him. He doesn't even question the memories as Junpei used to do.
I wonder if I missed something or if an explanation lie ahead and I'm jumping the gun like I always do.

I thought 2017 or sometime around that era?
Ah. Got it. Thanks.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I'm getting near to the end...

Since 'Sigma end', I've just worked out with
Clover, what the Neostigamine stuff does
. I've just been sitting going YES YES YES YES YES for the last five minutes. Everything is falling into place.

NEO0MJ

Need a little help...

I'm now at Phi's ending and am stuck at "Where is the Zero bomb?". I've looked at the flowchart and there isn't any remaining endings other than the one at the far left

Edit: Found it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Grhrhrhrhr, this game. The new justification for story branching is downright eerie, especially the whole Jupiter affair. I had to reload old saves to see how differently they'd react on a first try. I must reiterate: this game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My first thought after a few hours is that I really miss hitting UP to switch items. Do I really need the flowchart instantly at the expense of that?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
My first thought after a few hours is that I really miss hitting UP to switch items. Do I really need the flowchart instantly at the expense of that?
Yup, same here. I've got lots of issues with the UI, from controls to design and responsiveness. I wonder if it's better on the 3DS.

bunbun777

Just got my first ending last night, Clover. Oh boy oh boy. I think I am most interested in K's ending, but it is all very interesting.

I want to buy this game, but how do the riddles work on Vita ? I want the larger screen and better graphics, but I fear it'll be too troublesome to not have the two screens :/

I want to buy this game, but how do the riddles work on Vita ? I want the larger screen and better graphics, but I fear it'll be too troublesome to not have the two screens :/

It is a bit troublesome at times, but if you look at the downsides of the 3DS version, you'll run away from it and get the Vita one!
Some downsides of 3DS:
-Smaller screen resolution
-Frequent crashes
-A bug that completely corrupts your save (It's easily avoidable, but I've seen it happen in the most random ways)
-No trophies

Go with Vita if you have the choice. You get clunkier controls, but a better version of the game

so1337

After playing for nearly 20 hours something occured to me: Why don't these people just stay out of the AB room?
That way there's absolutely no risk involved since everyone chooses "Ally" by default and subsequently gets 2 points.

It is a bit troublesome at times, but if you look at the downsides of the 3DS version, you'll run away from it and get the Vita one!
Some downsides of 3DS:
-Smaller screen resolution
-Frequent crashes
-A bug that completely corrupts your save (It's easily avoidable, but I've seen it happen in the most random ways)
-No trophies

Go with Vita if you have the choice. You get clunkier controls, but a better version of the game

"Frequent" crashes is really overselling it. Mine crashed once, in the PEC room. Never had a save corrupted, but maybe because I only saved during the "novel" portions.

For my money, the 3D effect adds a lot to a very simple-looking game, and the better control scheme makes the 3DS version the better copy. Also it can be played on the same machine as 999 :)

After playing for nearly 20 hours something occured to me: Why don't these people just stay out of the AB room?
That way there's absolutely no risk involved since everyone chooses "Ally" by default and subsequently gets 2 points.

This is directly addressed in the game, so it sounds like you haven't been reading too closely:
Additional rules! Not voting is not a hoption! If nobody votes, everybunny is penalized!
(or something similar)

Because of the secondary rules
where someone has to vote

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
For the sake navigating my way through the Flowchart efficiently, can someone explain some of the icons? Specifically the closed book (black icon) and open book (green icon) with question marks.

Top Bottom