• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

grim-tales

I didnt want VLR to end either - like 999, for me it wasnt really a "game" but an experience, but now its over :( I enjoyed it a lot.

Lusankya

I wish there was a device to selectively delete memories. :(
I want to forget everything I know about this game (besides the fact that it is awesome) just so I can experience it for the first time again.

aravuus

I wished there was a device to selectively delete memories. :(
I want to forget everything I know about this game (besides the fact that it is awesome) just so I can experience it for the first time again.

This is one of the rare games I'd really, REALLY use it!

I am 100 per cent sure I said that in some 999 thread too. And it's true. If I could choose a few games to forget whenever I want, 999 and VLR would most definitely be on that list.

In
Alice's ending, Dio states that he is the actual leader of the Myrmidons and is trusted by Brother (despite his tryst). He could be lying, of course, but by that logic everyone could be lying about everything.

It's revealed in another route the reason why he had to inflitrate the game.
He is a clone of brother who is the leader and yeah for some reason he is still alive during the events of VLR.
Sigma couldn't have tried to feed him lies in that route if dio was sure of himself ..so in that particular scénario he was putting himself ( dio ) into a position he is not just to mess with alice and sigma.

If you consider him the leader of the myrmidons it's only by extension because he is nothing but a clone .

grim-tales

I wished there was a device to selectively delete memories. :(

I was just like that when 999 ended too. :(
Experiencing VLR and 999 for the first time was SO GOOD <3

emag

If you consider him the leader of the myrmidons it's only by extension because he is nothing but a clone .

All current Myrmidons are clones of Left, who was Brother's brother (now deceased). Dio (a clone of Left) is the current leader of the Myrmidons. All of this is explicitly stated in either in-game dialog or in-game files and never contradicted in-game.

Also, from the spoiler thread, from an Aksys employee:
Brother is the esper that's in charge of Free The Soul.

Left is the name of Brother's younger brother that was killed in the past.

Brother then went on to create clones of his younger brother Left, which were the Myrmidons.

The clones all were given the same name of "Left", which is why Dio's name is also "Left" because he's the Myrmidon leader of the 4th generation of clones.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
OK. Seeing as it's unlikely the crash bug on the 3DS version will be fixed any time soon, I got over my concerns and started the game. I used a walkthrough to get past the two "crash-prone" areas quickly and now I plan to do the rest of the game "blind".

Until now, I didn't think it was anywhere near as mindblowing as 999, but I've just reached my first WTF?! moment. My mind is reeling. I just don't understand it.

Yes, it's the part where Phi Allies with you and you decide to Betray her.... The game ends, so you go back and choose the Ally option, only for her to Betray you because she remembered what happened in the other version of the game?! WTF?!?!

aravuus

I don't think it's that serious, just as long as you remember not to save in the escape rooms. My playthrough took around 30 hours or something, and my game never crashed.

Also, it's gonna get better. Way better. Really. The true route starts dropping megatons on you after a while, and keeps at it right until the end.

grim-tales

I was the same -
When Phi started talking about "The Other Round 2" :eek: But that was a stronger version of what happened with me at the start - I allied with Alice, she betrayed me, so I betrayed her and Sigma is like "You chose betray last time" - what the...?!

aravuus

Fuck me, I forgot to check whether the elevator was done on easy or on hard, so I thought I'd need all the archive files in the game to
get the secret ending...
That didn't work. Then I remembered the elevator. Of course it said it was done on easy.

Oh well, better late than never. Now I'm off to watch the final bits of the game.

"The Akane Kurashiki I know isn't here. She's not anywhere..."
:(((((((((
Is there a reason this part isn't voiced, by the way? The "?" business is pretty cool after playing one certain other game before :V

e: Ahah, that was pretty awesome. Finally finished, after 34 hours and 12 minutes. 100% if we are not counting game overs. NOW I'll start reading spoiler stuff!

grim-tales

I found that line about
Akane really sad. Poor Junpei :(

I don't know why that last bit wasnt voiced, I just saw a video on Youtube that had voices for that ending (including
Kyle
), on my version I swear it was just blips and bloops like 999. A shame I didnt actually get to hear
Young Sigma's
voice.

My entire run took me about 67 hours :eek:

Gregorn

I just finished 999 and it wasn't quite as crazy as I was expecting. It got a bit too...fantasy. A collective unconscious is such a cool idea, and it might actually be a real thing, which is interesting to think about. But they took it too far...

I hope that last reveal doesn't mean VLR is going to be about curses and magical ice.

Vibed

I just finished 999 and it wasn't quite as crazy as I was expecting. It got a bit too...fantasy. A collective unconscious is such a cool idea, and it might actually be a real thing, which is interesting to think about. But they took it too far...

I hope that last reveal doesn't mean VLR is going to be about curses and magical ice.

There's definitely more pseudoscience in VLR. Despite that, you still might be pleasantly surprised.

The problem with 999 is that it only hints at pseudoscience stuff before slamming it into your face during the ending. Regardless of what you're prepared for, it's a bit undelicate.
VLR prepares you for mindscrewing stuff as soon as you begin, so you don't feel like you're firm on reality. And everything fits, no "magic" is involved.

Gregorn

The problem with 999 is that it only hints at pseudoscience stuff before slamming it into your face during the ending. Regardless of what you're prepared for, it's a bit undelicate.
VLR prepares you for mindscrewing stuff as soon as you begin, so you don't feel like you're firm on reality. And everything fits, no "magic" is involved.

That sounds better. I felt like it was setting up to make a least a bit of sense, like when Lotus was talking about how our minds could be somewhere else and our brains are the 'monitors', that sounds interesting and possible. I wanted a 'what if that's true' story, not
'what if you can talk to people in the past lol'
story. At least I'll know what I'm getting into with VLR.

One thing I didn't get about 999 was;
were the multiple playthrough's 'canon'? I was thinking about it during the game, that I know how to do the puzzles because Junpei has done it before, like that rat experiment, the information on how to solve them is now stored in the collective unconscious. When Junpei opened the coffin during the true ending, it confirms it I think. Did I miss the explanation as to how and why that happened? Were they all reborn or travelled back in time or something?

Jintor

That sounds better. I felt like it was setting up to make a least a bit of sense, like when Lotus was talking about how our minds could be somewhere else and our brains are the 'monitors', that sounds interesting and possible. I wanted a 'what if that's true' story, not

were the multiple playthrough's 'canon'? I was thinking about it during the game, that I know how to do the puzzles because Junpei has done it before, like that rat experiment, the information on how to solve them is now stored in the collective unconscious. When Junpei opened the coffin during the true ending, it confirms it I think. Did I miss the explanation as to how and why that happened? Were they all reborn or travelled back in time or something?

Dude
you turned the DS upside down what did you think happened?

Fey

Banned

999 spoilers
Not sure if this answers your question or not (and I'm not sure if you missed this detail or not ... if you didn't, oops :p), but you were playing as Akane the entire time who was sending the answers of the puzzles to Junpei, since she was "in" Junpei's mind and looking at each path through his eyes, looking for the one she needed Junpei to get to. You turned the DS upside down in the final puzzle because you were now playing as Junpei and were sending the answer to the puzzle back to Akane. So I think the endings are all canon. They all happen I guess ... maybe.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since 999 was played. @__@

Gregorn

Dude
you turned the DS upside down what did you think happened?

999 spoilers
Not sure if this answers your question or not (and I'm not sure if you missed this detail or not ... if you didn't, oops :p), but you were playing as Akane the entire time who was sending the answers of the puzzles to Junpei, since she was "in" Junpei's mind and looking at each path through his eyes, looking for the one she needed Junpei to get to. You turned the DS upside down in the final puzzle because you were now playing as Junpei and were sending the answer to the puzzle back to Akane. So I think the endings are all canon. They all happen I guess ... maybe.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since 999 was played. @__@

Oh shit, I thought that was
me now playing as Akane.
I don't know how I missed that.

But still, how did
they go through each path? Were the other endings things Akane saw and the true ending was the only thing that happened?

aravuus

But still, how did
they go through each path? Were the other endings things Akane saw and the true ending was the only thing that happened?

In a way.
Akane can move her consciousness through time and to different timelines. I guess you could say she was looking for the one where Junpei is successful. Practically, all of them happened, but the true path is the only one Akane is saved in so she's looking for it through Junpei.

grim-tales

You know when I first played 999 I thought that
It was me (the player) passing the answers to Junpei and I thought Junpei would be Zero
:D

Let's put 999 in a meta-gaming way:
So, you're playing as Young Akane. She makes Junpei do things. Then Junpei dies because of an Axe and she's sad! So, she goes back and tries another road, until she finds the correct one.
That's basically what you did PLAYING the game. Akane and the player are the same entity.

If you want to go deeper in that matter, I strongly suggest you play Ever17.

Just reached the ending for
SIGMA!

I'd say something about how that just raises more questions than it answers, but that's a pattern with this game.

Small question:

So with K & Sigma's ending passwords I should be able to continue from the director's room ending, right?

Because I tend to play on the train so might get stuck if I don't ask ahead of time. The two passwords I got were rather different in structure.

Am I supposed to do anything tricky to combine them and/or be aware of anything I could get stuck on? I'd rather not be stuck there on the train. ^^;

Also more spoilerific regarding the order of endings:

I find it very interesting that Quark, Phi and Luna's endings seem to be some of the hardest to reach.

Phi & Luna's relative difficulty seem to relate to both of them having the same "memory" thing that Sigma has. But Quark? I'm seriously very curious to see what his ending will be like.

Just reached the ending for
SIGMA!

I'd say something about how that just raises more questions than it answers, but that's a pattern with this game.

Small question:

So with K & Sigma's ending passwords I should be able to continue from the director's room ending, right?

Because I tend to play on the train so might get stuck if I don't ask ahead of time. The two passwords I got were rather different in structure.

Am I supposed to do anything tricky to combine them and/or be aware of anything I could get stuck on? I'd rather not be stuck there on the train. ^^;

Also more spoilerific regarding the order of endings:

I find it very interesting that Quark, Phi and Luna's endings seem to be some of the hardest to reach.

Phi & Luna's relative difficulty seem to relate to both of them having the same "memory" thing that Sigma has. But Quark? I'm seriously very curious to see what his ending will be like.

You just need to put
Sigma's ending password in the ID slot and K's ending password in the PASSWORD slot.
There you go!

grim-tales

That's interesting that
Quark's ending is one of the hardest to get (it's rubbish) linking to Luna/Phi sharing memories with Sigma, in a way I'd like to see his story expanded on in the next game - its a shame we didnt learn anything useful in 999 - in fact if theres a 9th Man of VLR, its him :p
Wonder what the next game will be called?

My endings so far and speculation based on them:

Every character ending aside from Phi, haven't gone for all the bad ends yet, only 1 or 2 early on. (I'm incredibly good at knowing which route to take hahah.)

Speculation:

Okay so I got a few basics figured out, though I do know certain characters still hold surprises.

1. Pretty much everyone seems to be there for a reason:

1. Luna's obviously there cause she's a gaulem
2. the old woman was there as Zero's aide/and in on it
3. Quark is there on Ten's request/because Ten took him.
4. Ten is there seemingly because of some relation to zero, not yet clarified but hinted.
5. Clover and Alice seem genuinly unaware of why they're there.
6. Dio's there cause Dio. (ugh..)
7. K's ... connection is the old woman and (presumably) zero sr.
8. Sigma .. and K .. they're just a whole big mess atm.
9. Phi is the only one I'm pretty clueless about. She honestly feels very similar to Sigma. I have one or two suspicions, but have to go soon so can't elaborate.. sigh.

grim-tales

I agree with you there - makes me wonder about the next game:

What if Sigma lost his arms trying to save the original Luna when he fell in love with her, and made Robo Luna in memory of her?

Xelinis

What if Sigma lost his arms trying to save the original Luna when he fell in love with her, and made Robo Luna in memory of her?

No. If you follow the time loop correctly, then it becomes clear that Robo Luna is based on none other than Robo Luna, as well as possibly some documents regarding the Test Site personnel. He doesn't even meet Real Luna until Old Sigma's consciousness jumps to the past.

grim-tales

That's very confusing :D Thanks though.
I kind of like my theory though :(
Makes things more romantic :D But I do suspect that he made Robo Luna as a mum for his son, but K (Kyle) didnt like it and identified with Old Akane instead.
Also,
You see, I think that bit in the warehouse where Sigma is going into his monologue about why he has been kidnapped is a clue to the different paths/branches in the game? Maybe the original Luna is the wife/mistress of someone important...?

Fey

Banned
I might be misreading what you guys are saying but

VLR Q&A stuff
Wasn't it said that Luna was based off the woman from the Mars Test Site recording thing aka the woman Sigma met in there?

Xelinis

I might be misreading what you guys are saying but

VLR Q&A stuff
Wasn't it said that Luna was based off the woman from the Mars Test Site recording thing aka the woman Sigma met in there?

That does not mean he actually met her, just that he had documents pertaining to her. Remember, Young Sigma never took part in the Test Site incident because his consciousness got dragged into the VLR Nonary Game; it's his future self that experienced it.

Yo!

Just reached

Phi ending.

Man..

Interestingly enough,
I got a very VERY large chunk right. I can only think of 2-3 twists in this ending I got wrong or partly wrong.

grim-tales

I was surprised by what I got right as well.
I was right on Tenmyouji being Junpei (I figured that as soon as I saw Akane's picture) and K being a clone of Sigma.. after some thought. I wonder if the girl who Sigma lost his arms trying to save was Phi? Maybe Phi is Sigma's daughter? That would be... awkward. Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey :D

I was surprised by what I got right as well.
I was right on Tenmyouji being Junpei (I figured that as soon as I saw Akane's picture) and K being a clone of Sigma.. after some thought. I wonder if the girl who Sigma lost his arms trying to save was Phi? Maybe Phi is Sigma's daughter? That would be... awkward. Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey :D

The girl Sigma tried to save is the one from the recording. Diana! Better known as the real Luna!

Quick question:

After the Phi ending and the uhh...pre..thing with the arms and stuff,
I assume I reached the point where I need to gold file everything to get the next/true end?

grim-tales

The girl Sigma tried to save is the one from the recording. Diana! Better known as the real Luna!

Ah, I see - thanks :)
IMHO thats why Sigma created Luna 2.0, or hadnt he met her then in that reality?
I hope we find out more about Phi in the next game, like who she actually is for a start. And I thought Phi/Sigma fail in their attempt to stop Radical-6, or was that just in one timeline, so they can have another go?

Actually that just reminded me of the ending of Terminator 3 (the best part of the film by far) where John Connor says their goal wasnt to "stop" Judgement Day/Skynet but to "survive" it, could something similar happen here?

Apologies for questions, should they go in the spoiler thread?

If nothing else appeared I believe you do indeed need to go do that.
Did you finish all puzzles on hard?

Nah, some of em I did easy cause I got the advice not to save during puzzle segments. Sometimes I needed to hurry up so flipped into easy mode to get through a puzzle faster so I could save.

Top Bottom