• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

You have to be a noob to finish it on easy.

Don't read this thinking I will say I'm joking or something! :p

I'd take my time for the puzzles and finish them on hard, but saving the game in the middle of a puzzle bit me in the ass hard (lost 9 hours of progress due to data error..sigh.)

That combined with the fact that I can't really take proper notes on the train makes easy mode a quick solution to not losing all my progress. (especially because I'm a bit prone to completely misunderstand the purpose of certain puzzles.. @_@)

DaBoss

I'd take my time for the puzzles and finish them on hard, but saving the game in the middle of a puzzle bit me in the ass hard (lost 9 hours of progress due to data error..sigh.)

That combined with the fact that I can't really take proper notes on the train makes easy mode a quick solution to not losing all my progress. (especially because I'm a bit prone to completely misunderstand the purpose of certain puzzles.. @_@)

Haha, don't worry, I was joking. I was sure you had your reasons, and you certainly do have good reasons for doing so.

grim-tales

Sometimes I was like that too -
In one room I just entered "Help" as the password literally to see what would happen, and I was like 'WTF, I solved it - HOW?' :D

daxgame

Well.. It says it's the UK version. I doubt they'd be selling a UK version that's not in English.

Just buy it man.

you're absolutely right, I was concerned only because it's the "imported french version" and you never know, if it's a mistake I don't want to get the game in french and have to return it.

Just thought there could be someone from France here maybe who could confirm that the game doesn't exist in french.

edit: Now that I think, I seem to remember there was something explicit on Rising Star's site about the languages... I'll check.

edit2: nope, there is nothing -_- just the release dates whatever, I'll pick it up.

Frost_Ace

super important question, sorry if already asked. Does anyone knows if this version is in english?
http://www.amazon.es/dp/B0096I43IM/

(note: this should be the original http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0096I43IM/ but there's "UK VERSION" written here too, first link is cheaper though :p )

I see "UK VERSION" written under so I would guess so, but since I don't want any problems I wanted to make sure if the game doesn't even exists in french

thanks!

I don't think the game has been translated in any other language that isn't english, I'd say go for it.

Been playing this for a week now. The game is damn brilliant... By luck(?) the first story branch I happened to pick had me surviving for the longest time (actually I'm stuck at a password puzzle, that might even be possible to be solved without playing the rest of the game), and I was surprised when I found how non-linear the game actually is. I don't want to read any spoilers, so I'll continue playing without reading the rest of the thread, for now...

I think I'm done but ... I have holes in my file section..

The holes are:

Between "PEC: Outside" and "Paper with colorful picture"

Between "Colorful note" and "Newspaper excerpt"

I got pass/secret/help all 100% filled up, so I have no idea what on earth I missed..

aravuus

When you choose a node with an escape room, it shows how many archive entries you've found in that particular room, and how many there is to find. So, two rooms will say something like "11/12" or whatever. Speeding through them the second time for the archive entries is easy enough.

grim-tales

Thank you ^^
Turns out I'm still missing files in the Infirmary, Director's Office etc and maybe some others, so I need to do the minigames to get those passwords...

grim-tales

The US version has voice dubbing in that ending, the UK (and presumably Japanese) release didnt, which is disappointing IMO :( I wanted to hear what Kyle/you sounded like :(

grim-tales

Muntu is right, if ? is the player - why does he have a voice? Still, I would have liked to have seen the US production values extend to the UK version, was it an artistic decision in the US version? They ALL use bleeps and bloops in that scene I think not just ? (I cant remember TBH)

DaBoss

? has a voice in the US version? But.. That doesn't make any sense, does it?
Muntu is right, if ? is the player - why does he have a voice? Still, I would have liked to have seen the US production values extend to the UK version, was it an artistic decision in the US version? They ALL use bleeps and bloops in that scene I think not just ? (I cant remember TBH)

? would have Kyle's voice since ? is in Kyle's body and K is a clone of Sigma, so it is the same as Sigma's voice.

grim-tales

That's what I thought but
in the UK version Sigma speaks in bleeps and bloops, K has a voice (Japanese obviously), Kyle speaks in bleeps and bloops - which I guess kinda makes sense - since Kyle is a clone of (Young) Sigma but why does he have a "voice" in the robot suit when he is K and then no voice when he is Kyle? Why doesnt he have a voice like the US version?

I wonder if I should pick up 999 now that I've finished this game.

I'm kinda curious what happened in 999 now.

/edit

Wait, was 999 ever released in Europe?

Ice Mage

Neo Member
Wait, was 999 ever released in Europe?

Nope, it wasn't, meaning you'd have to import.

I'm not sure how much you'd enjoy 999 after VLR since VLR sort of spoiled the game's major twist and dropped some other huge spoilers here and there, but I dunno... could still be fun nonetheless for aspects not directly involved with the story, such as the general atmosphere (which is far more oppressive and tense than VLR's ever is).

grim-tales

No it wasn't, but even if you have a UK 3DS, any import DS software will work fine on it. 999 was only released in the US, AFAIK.
Edit: My question already answered. I hope the atmosphere of ZE3 is closer to 999, why do I have a horrible feeling we could end up with a T/12 rated game if the atmosphere is even lighter? (I'm kidding but you know what I mean), it depends on reaction in Japan and whether Uchikoshi's hands are tied or not.

grim-tales

Yeah, well I wouldnt say VLR was ruined per se but it was a shame, I mean I did feel surprised a number of times and go "What the..." but there wasn't really the feeling of dread, fear and horror 999 had, imo. Hopefully ZE3 will find a happy medium with a balance between the two?
Or even later on what if there was a Director's Cut of VLR?

Nope, it wasn't, meaning you'd have to import.

I'm not sure how much you'd enjoy 999 after VLR since VLR sort of spoiled the game's major twist and dropped some other huge spoilers here and there, but I dunno... could still be fun nonetheless for aspects not directly involved with the story, such as the general atmosphere (which is far more oppressive and tense than VLR's ever is).

Honestly, I kinda wanna play 999 cause eventhough the twists got told to me ... without the context they simply make me wonder what on earth was going on in the first game.

I barely remember what the twists/spoilers are because without the previous point of perspective, a lot of it felt almost gibberish..-y to a non-999 player.

I actually feel like I might enjoy playing 999 and seeing how some puzzle pieces relate to VLR in retrospect or something like that.

aravuus

Maybe ruin is too strong a word. Still, I've seen a ton of stuff canceled, watered down or concluded ahead of time thanks to executive meddling, and I still hate it with all my passion.

VLR was absolutely fantastic, but it could have been absolutely fantastic squared or cubed

grim-tales

Completely agree - let's hope ZE3 has lots of surprises (thats a given I'm sure) and no more meddling. It could be possible it would be designed more with US/UK audiences in mind, as it seems to sell better there than in Japan.

Any ideas for titles?

Ice Mage

Neo Member
Honestly, I kinda wanna play 999 cause eventhough the twists got told to me ... without the context they simply make me wonder what on earth was going on in the first game.

I barely remember what the twists/spoilers are because without the previous point of perspective, a lot of it felt almost gibberish..-y to a non-999 player.

I actually feel like I might enjoy playing 999 and seeing how some puzzle pieces relate to VLR in retrospect or something like that.

I thought about it again and I think that 999 may indeed still be quite enjoyable, especially if you've half-forgotten some plot elements hinted at by VLR, due to the aforementioned atmosphere and the way it sets up its twists. And the characters, minor twists and everything will (mostly) be entirely new to you, which is also cool. I mean, it's even still fun on a replay, when you know everything, so ... I'd certainly recommend giving it a go if you enjoyed VLR. :p

grim-tales

That reminds me I've forgotten most stuff in 999 TBH...
The reveal of "Zero" (the guy in the captains clothes with the 0 bracelet) messed with my head and was quite brilliant.

Hela

Just started it today and man am I happy about the improvements that were made to the text speed/auto scrolling from 999. It will be much more enjoyable like this.

Also, I don't get why they cut the English dub from the EU version.

grim-tales

I'm not sure either but I would guess money/licensing issues maybe? However, it would be cool to have the option next time round for ZE3, as what I heard of the English dub for VLR sounds very good (Zero III and Luna are brilliant) :D
Anyone wonder when we'll start hearing more info about ZE3?

Whoa, he's the man? I always wondered how he looked like! :D
Couldn't find anything!

Anyways...
grim-tales, about the language, Rising Star was importing in Europe a sequel to a game that few people had played there. Therefore, they wanted to keep costs down, by eliminating one of the dubs.
There was a poll some time ago on their site that was something like this: "If we have to choose between Japanese and English as as dubbing, what do you prefer?"
The majority chose Japanese, and that's why it's the only available dub!

As for ZE3...
Heh...
Statistically speaking:
First news about 999 in Japan date July 2009, the game came out in December (IIRC), while it came out almost an year later in the US.
First news about VLR in Japan date August 2011, the game came out in February of 2012 (October in the US).
Should we expect more news around Summer/September 2013 for a 2014 release?
Let's hope!
Uchikoshi has been working on the Steins;Gate sequel, which is scheduled to come out aroud this days, if I'm not mistaken. So, he has the concept and story in mind, but I don't think actual programming has started yet. But I think this well be his next project.

EDIT: yeah, the Steins;Gate sequel comes out April 25th!

Top Bottom